Wine and Dine 2015

Gotta say, proud of all of you. Not just because I know all of you put in the work (this thread has been so active this year with training updates and whatnot!) but because all of you are handling what happened so well. I totally understand feeling disappointed, but there have been some crazy over-the-top reactions elsewhere.
I didn't run of course but based on the circumstances rundisney did what it had to do. However I think Disney should still do something for those who worked so hard. For example maybe a rundisney coupon of sorts but not a whole refund or early registration for next years race. Just a thought congrats to all of the finishers.
I agree with @Keels - they won't do anything. Part of the terms we agree to at registration include acknowledging that a race can be canceled with no refunds given (thankfully that didn't happen in this case!) and that the Race Director can modify the course at any time. I think a statement from rD acknowledging exactly what went into them making the decision they did would be really nice, but I'm not really expecting one from them.

Again...congrats, guys. Sorry this happened!! :hug:

I didn't hear much complaining at the after party. However, I did hear lots of complaints (and - my two cents - justified) in the finishers area. That was a disorganized mess.

That's understood though. Like I said I personally didn't hear a lot of rational complaining until I looked here.

And what do you mean having the booze lines behind the men's changing tent was perfect...

I didn't run but after my iPod died during my half this morning thought a lot about it- I feel the call made was the 'best possible' getting everyone out via bus would've been a cluster but knowing the weather could turn to a downpour/lighting fest really fast which you really really don't want thousands of runners out for with no shelter so getting peeps through to studios/etc where if the weather turned there would be shelter.. One can run in rain- downpour where one can't see in front of you not so much.. I'm grateful the start was at sports complex- had it been the Jan/princess course there is no safe spot close to hold 10-15+ thou runners anywhere close to the course... For those who ran I get the mental piece of calling it an accomplishment when it wasn't as 'designed'- to me being a part of the craziness of the night counts for something and is def a story to tell..

I think part of it too was having to get the roads back open at a certain time, not having the volunteers/CMs/security/police officers stay out later (as someone else mentioned upthread), etc. Again, I'd be curious to hear everything that went into the decision.

I think part of it too was having to get the roads back open at a certain time, not having the volunteers/CMs/security/police officers stay out later (as someone else mentioned upthread), etc. Again, I'd be curious to hear everything that went into the decision.

There were some pretty serious mainline winds that blew through when we were standing in the field at WWoS, right before we were evacuated to the buildings.

A Cast Member friend said there was some pretty serious foliage debris over at Animal Kingdom with no staff on-hand to remedy it immediately and in time for runners (remember, first priority is making sure the parks can operate for guests as normal) - and that, coupled with the limited lighting through that area of the run was primarily the reason they cut the course short.

I am disappointed. I trained for my first half through the florida summer and that sucked. That being said, I did have a lot of fun. I think I'm going to have to sign up for next year's race. I have joked about taking a sharpie to my "I Did It" shirt and I've been calling it the Dine and Dash 7.1 miler.

I felt a lot better after the race. When they announced it, I was one of the few booing in corral J.

My thoughts as an outsider. I ran the broiling 2013 TOT and the "I could not be more drenched" 2014 W&D. The thought of combining the two makes me shudder.

AK last year, at least by the time I got there and through it, was so slippery and dangerous with standing puddles of water. The newly created "lake" on the right side of the road leaving AK was awful, more so because the CM warning us of it was standing by the side of it and I could not hear her until I stepped right into it. I joke that my shoes are still damp from that puddle a year ago.

I'm sure it was very hard dealing with everything as it happened and mentally wrapping your head around a 10k, but it'll be a good story!

Wear your medals and shirts. (Yes you can wear a medal on the plane but put it in the carryon through security) Try to be happy you had the after party (last year we were so frozen we bailed on it...happy about that at the time but now I wish I had gone), etc.

Lightning plus hot plus rain plus wind blowing things down in AK...not good. Glad they shortened it before you started, unlike the RnR savannah same day post-runner tragedy. :(

I am disappointed in Disney. Communication was awful. My brother texted me from Epcot that the course was shortened. That's unacceptable. They should have kept us informed.

I also thought the conditions in that stadium were hazardous. About 15 minutes before we went back out, they started policing the fire hazard that was.

There was no announcement about how long until the race started so corral loading was a free for all. The corral jumpers were ridiculous. Corrals are there for a reason. I dropped back a corral because my husband and I were 40 bibs apart but I started at the back because runners with slower pacing wouldn't let you forward. That's fun dodging people, especially those who never belonged there. A little announcement that Disney is taking x minutes to load corrals would have prevented some of this.

I am more forgiving of the shortened course giving keels post. But again, how hard is it to tell us downed limbs in AK make the course unsafe. When u blame it on rain that never comes, people are less understanding.

Also the after party lines were unacceptable. I think more staff or less tickets are in order.

I enjoyed last years run in the rain more. I hope they rethink how to handle this situation and how to keep runners informed

Just my two cents.

Chiming in !
I for one was pretty deflated by the time we got moved into buildings and then back out again- just a big energy shift. But the people I was with and I were watching the weather radar and there was some intense looking cells heading straight for our area, we watched them break up as we sat in the josteen. I'm of the same opinion as others, rD had to make a call, they made the call for the safety of all concerned, runners, staff, volunteers, safety personnel.I was not terribly disappointed by the change- somewhat- but not hugely.
when they changed the course I decided to move back to L with people I'd met from the resort. I didn't hear anyone complain about the change, people seemed to be grateful they were going to be able to run period.
Interestingly, there were several people with A bibs back there too!
I always get so irritated by people's self importance that they decide to jump ahead in corrals, like the rules don't apply to them, but my continual lesson in life is people don't always do what I think they should!! Lol!
I so appreciate the people on this site,. Their levelheadedness, kindness, concern for others. Glad I'm not seeing the insanity that some have mentioned seeing and hearing elsewhere.

I kind of like the "half a half"!
I'm kind of sad/ disappointed for people who were really counting on achieving the distance, I love that folks here keep reiterating that the work was in the training and the medal is the testimony to that work.
There's nothing we can do to change it, I for one had a great time met some great people... And am still in one piece to go home !
Grateful runner :)
Grateful dis'er

Last edited:
I think my biggest disappointment that the distance was cut short was due to the fact that I was going to use this as one of my races to qualify for Half Fanatics. I was going to do a local race in 2 weeks which would have gotten me in either via the 2 in 16 days or 3 in 90. I did another half in training for this, but it was 21 days ago, which is why I would have needed to do the other one. So now I either have to do 2 more before the end of the year, or just try again next year.

Edit: I was more disappointed about the cut course last night... today I'm less bummed about that overall. :)

I'm glad to see wo many positive posts on here even with the disappointment that is inevitable. I agree that they made the right call but I would have also liked better communication. I was not on Facebook because I was saving my phone battery. So not until they said it was "modified" and "cut out 6 miles" did I have a clue. A little course description would have been nice and a refresher of what water stops would be there also. My 10k strategy is a bit different mindset than a half. And neither usualy involve an extra 2 miles to the WWoS areas and standing around waiting to even be let into corrals (again another announcement maybe would have been nice).

I was in F and mostly everyone was quiet. Yes cheering to go to the party but also I think some were disappointed. My energy was low by that point too. Deflated. My corral wasnt happy with the shortened course and that's one last comment ill make for Disney- they tried to use that as a silver lining - getting to the party. But I felt that was slightly disrespectful bc a lot I mean a LOT of us bust out butts to prepare and achieve a half marathon and were there to run that, not just party. More focus on our safety, less on getting us to the party would have helped me I think.

Hi,

Well done to all of the runners yesterday. Based in the UK just reading the reports suggest the weather was pretty awful. Having done several half marathons including the Disneyland HM in September it must be a disappointment not to run the full course but given the number of runners and volunteers , safety should come first and it probably was not an easy call for the organisers. You should all feel proud of yourselves for doing the training and preparing for the HM.

Looking forward to the Star Wars HM in WDW in April.

Regards

TBS

I'm glad to see wo many positive posts on here even with the disappointment that is inevitable. I agree that they made the right call but I would have also liked better communication. I was not on Facebook because I was saving my phone battery. So not until they said it was "modified" and "cut out 6 miles" did I have a clue. A little course description would have been nice and a refresher of what water stops would be there also. My 10k strategy is a bit different mindset than a half. And neither usualy involve an extra 2 miles to the WWoS areas and standing around waiting to even be let into corrals (again another announcement maybe would have been nice).

I was in F and mostly everyone was quiet. Yes cheering to go to the party but also I think some were disappointed. My energy was low by that point too. Deflated. My corral wasnt happy with the shortened course and that's one last comment ill make for Disney- they tried to use that as a silver lining - getting to the party. But I felt that was slightly disrespectful bc a lot I mean a LOT of us bust out butts to prepare and achieve a half marathon and were there to run that, not just party. More focus on our safety, less on getting us to the party would have helped me I think.
Yeah, better communication would have been great. I am not sure how it was in the other venues but in the baseball stadium they weren't turning hte music off when the guy was talking on the loudspeaker, and all the people were talking and you just couldn't hear a thing he said over all the noise. Then when we were waiting to get into the corrals, he was announcing stuff again on the stage but we were too far away and the speakers weren't loud enough... no one could hear what he was saying. Then finally, when we were in the corrals, he said something like "I have some pertinent information..." and then nothing. And then we (H) never heard anything more from the front until we got a few corrals forward... the loud speakers had died! I did know at that point it had been cut to a 10K because I happened to be behind some ladies that went up to a volunteer and said they had been making bets what it would be cut to, and the volunteer said 10K. Up until that point, I hadn't even realized that cutting the course short was even an option. I thought once they released us to the corrals, that meant the threat of cancellation entirely was over and we were doing the whole thing.

Add me to the disappointed list. I'm glad we even got to run at all (a total cancellation would have been my worst fear realized), but it's not how I envisioned my first (and only for who knows how long) Run Disney event to go. I too am a little conflicted about the medal and t-shirt. I accomplished the course that we were given, but not what I expected. So yeah, it's a weird feeling. Figures that the first event I'm at is the unprecedented situation and the one that will be remembered in a bittersweet way.

The other point I meant to make is that I am definitely still proud of my accomplishment. My mindset while we were standing in the corrals after finally being let in was very low. I was hot and tired and even 6 miles seemed like a daunting task. And then we got started and it was tough at first, but once we started hitting the entertainment spots, my adrenaline kicked back in and I felt really good. And the course support on the Boardwalk and in Epcot was incredible. Considering the humidity and my lack of training in it, I left the race feeling better than I would have expected. So I'm proud of that. And I think this race just reaffirmed my desire to continue to work at running, because I want to accomplish a half. I'm going to try to sign up for a local one sometime next year.

Oh my gosh all the people on Boardwalk and in Epcot were amazing!! I ran thanking everyone!

I am so thankful for all the amazing support I've gotten, and the random friends I made while waiting and while doing my walk intervals. I think I'm going the positive route now.

My husband was in Corral B and he said his corral was very not understanding especially in the stadium. It was the Lightning in the area that caused the delay and as it has the ability to jump miles from the storm, you have to make sure people are safe. (We've had lightning hit our property 3 times since we moved to Naples - once the storm was actually on the coast - one was the edge of the storm and the one that caused a fire in the bushes was in the midst of a deep red storm) You don't want to be that near to a strike! I'm guessing those complaining aren't really aware of the strange nature of lightning.

I was in EPCOT and sending my husband Radar pictures since his app wasn't working well for weather. He totally kept showing people that it had to be not a fun conversation in the management center for the race to actually make that call.

He was upset they cut the course but he understood the reasons why especially since the main road to Animal Kingdom & back is actually a county road not a Disney one, they had to have it reopened by whatever they had arranged.

He still got his Coast to Coast & he's still proud of his medal.

He won't do the race next year since 2014 was cursed and this year too and supposedly according to someone he was talking to, 2013 had issues too. He rather pass.

We enjoyed the after party as the lines weren't too bad for the booths for the items we wanted (and to get him food & rehydrated)

My Garmin measured 6.92 and my tangents were absolute garbage, so that was definitely closer to 6.5-6.7.

Close to what my Garmin got as well. My tangents were HORRIBLE so I was over 7 miles when I finished. My net time also increased over 6 minutes between what it was last night and the "official" run Disney email I got.

I ran so much faster and harder than what my times reflect. I was pretty proud of myself last night bc according to my watch I ran 11:30 the entire course. Disney says 13:03 :guilty:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter