Wind Deflector - Do They Really Make a Difference?

I researched this when we bought the TT, and from what I've read it doesn't make much difference. Semi's that run thousands of miles per month will use them, because even a small difference adds up to a lot of money over that many miles.

The thing that makes them less effective for us is the distance between the deflector and the trailer. A semi will have the deflector right against the trailer, which keeps the air from hitting the trailer. On a pickup or SUV the deflector is 10-15' or more ahead of the trailer. The air hits the deflector and then curls back behind it. That negates a lot of the effect, as you still have a lot of roiled air between the two objects. The deflector is also a lot lower than the top edge of the trailer, so the air is still hitting the front of the trailer.

Since the deflector has weight it lowers your MPG, thus lessening the effect even more. When you factor in the cost of the deflector you probably don't save any money. I just decided that any minor saving in terms of MPG probably wasn't worth the cost or effort, particularly with the number of miles we tow per year.

Just my $0.02.

The thing that makes them less effective for us is the distance between the deflector and the trailer. A semi will have the deflector right against the trailer, which keeps the air from hitting the trailer. On a pickup or SUV the deflector is 10-15' or more ahead of the trailer. The air hits the deflector and then curls back behind it. That negates a lot of the effect, as you still have a lot of roiled air between the two objects. The deflector is also a lot lower than the top edge of the trailer, so the air is still hitting the front of the trailer.

Just my $0.02.

One advantage I will have is I do have a shell on the back of my truck, so the deflector can be placed on the top of the shell at the back as close to the trailer as possible, but yes there is still a gap.

Carol with the shape and size of your camper I really can't see how it could help.By mounting a deflector back on your cover the wind would just be going over your cab back down and then hitting the deflector that is basically shaped like the front of your camper. I could see the benefit if you had a high blunt trailer and towed a LOT but for your rig I think you are good to go as you are. Not to mention the extra weight you would have to lift to open the back of your truck.

I couldnt agree more.....that t@b IS a wind deflector!!! Thats about as aerodynamic as a shape can get! Save your money Carol!!

Carol with the shape and size of your camper I really can't see how it could help.By mounting a deflector back on your cover the wind would just be going over your cab back down and then hitting the deflector that is basically shaped like the front of your camper. I could see the benefit if you had a high blunt trailer and towed a LOT but for your rig I think you are good to go as you are. Not to mention the extra weight you would have to lift to open the back of your truck.

I was thining the same thing. With a low profile trailer, I doubt it woud make a noticeable difference.

Lately I've wished our dog hadda wind deflector,,dont know whats gott'n into her but she's been raunchy lately. :crazy2:

We thought about this also. Got an "expert" opinion fron our truck driver neighbor. He said :
1. It has to be put on exactly right by a professional to be of any use.

2. The fuel mileage saved would be so small, it would never pay for the cost of the deflector and installation.

The only thing they are really good for is bug deflection. Any gas mileage saved is so nominal that it is really only in the eyes of the beholder. They have to believe since they paid for it.

Assuming a 2mpg gain with my rig and using current fuel prices I would have to make 9 trips(ie 9000 miles) to the Fort and back for it to pay for itself. Pass. I would probably break it well before then, anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter