Williamsburg Hotel Recommendation?

My2CrazyGirls

DIS Veteran
We plan to drive down to Busch Gardens in October for the first time. Family of 4, kids 12 and 10. I am not finding Trip Advisor reviews very helpful (I usually do) and the last thread about Williamsburg on here that I can find was from 2013. Free breakfast would be great. Not looking for a cheap place, rather pay more for a nicer experience.

Any recommendations?

We really liked Kingsmill. My husband and I did a getaway and stayed in a one bedroom villa. The resort is gorgeous and has lots of amenities. We ate breakfast in every day and dinner in one night. I find the restaurants in Williamsburg are family friendly but nothing special.

About 5 years ago, I stayed at the Powhaton Historic Resort with a group of friends. It was a time share condo with full size washer/dryer and kitchen. Our unit had two bathrooms, one bedroom with a queen bed down and 2 twin beds up. The furniture was a bit dated but the space was very nice for $75/night. Indoor and outdoor pool. It was about 5 mins away from fast food and 10 minutes away from an outdoor shopping/eating plaza. I've seen it on Groupon recently.

The other time I was there we just stayed at the Hampton Inn...it was just as expected.

There was a combined Busch Gardens/Historic Williamsburg ticket that was a good value, not sure if it still is.

We just returned from Embassy suites (hampton inn chain) in williamsburg. Stayed 3 nights with 3 adults and two kids (both 16). They have an awesome breakfast with made to order omlets. It's much larger than your typical free breakfast. They also have a nightly (think just week nights?) managers reception. In the lobby they put out snacks (chips, dip,veggies,etc), the soda machines are available AND the bar is open for free drinks! We are not heavy drinkers but it was nice to come back from a day at the parks and relax. They had a selection of wines, beer, and mixed drinks. The hotel is about 15 minute drive to Busch gardens/water country and about 5 minutes to colonial williamsburg. And since this is a Disney board it's worth noting there's a Blaze pizza about 8 minutes away. The hotel was clean and well staffed. It's the second time we've stayed at this location. The first time we were in a two bedroom so if you'd like a little more room or privacy (kids liked that they had their own area with a bathroom) that is a great option too. I know price is not a concern but they do offer great government rates so that may apply to you (my husband is a county govt employee and school teachers also qualify for the rate). Always nice to save a little money to splurge for nice dinners and such.

We just returned from Embassy suites (hampton inn chain) in williamsburg. Stayed 3 nights with 3 adults and two kids (both 16). They have an awesome breakfast with made to order omlets. It's much larger than your typical free breakfast. They also have a nightly (think just week nights?) managers reception. In the lobby they put out snacks (chips, dip,veggies,etc), the soda machines are available AND the bar is open for free drinks! We are not heavy drinkers but it was nice to come back from a day at the parks and relax. They had a selection of wines, beer, and mixed drinks. The hotel is about 15 minute drive to Busch gardens/water country and about 5 minutes to colonial williamsburg. And since this is a Disney board it's worth noting there's a Blaze pizza about 8 minutes away. The hotel was clean and well staffed. It's the second time we've stayed at this location. The first time we were in a two bedroom so if you'd like a little more room or privacy (kids liked that they had their own area with a bathroom) that is a great option too. I know price is not a concern but they do offer great government rates so that may apply to you (my husband is a county govt employee and school teachers also qualify for the rate). Always nice to save a little money to splurge for nice dinners and such.

I stayed at the Embassy Suites last Christmas...I also second the recommendation that it's a great place to stay. Breakfast is amazing and they'll make whatever you want, I swear - last year, my breakfast was always made-to-order 2 fried eggs easy with a veg scramble (spinach, tomatoes, peppers, onions, mushrooms, bacon) - best hotel breakfast ever (and my kids got made-to-order hershey choco chip pancakes:)...

We stayed at the Colonies of Williamsburg last year. I got a great rate on cheap tickets dot Com. 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, full kitchen, laundry, balcony. The pool was awesome too very close to both colonial Williamsburg and Busch gardens. Food lion down the street. I highly recommend it.

ETA we went down in the beginning of October and it warm enough that they had the outdoor pool open but the indoor pool was fun too!

Last edited:
We stayed at Kingsmill Resort last year for Thanksgiving. We thought the resort was great. We stayed in a really nice 1 bedroom villa. It was a really big unit & was nice and clean. The place is huge and there's a lot to do. The outside pool was closed for the season, but there's an indoor pool, hot tub, small arcade, bike rentals, marshmallow roasting/smores over a fire pit.... We didn't eat at the on-site restaurants as or villa had a full kitchen and we ate while at Colonial Williamsburg & Busch Gardens. Hope this helps :)

We really liked Kingsmill. My husband and I did a getaway and stayed in a one bedroom villa. The resort is gorgeous and has lots of amenities. We ate breakfast in every day and dinner in one night. I find the restaurants in Williamsburg are family friendly but nothing special.

+1 We stayed at the Kingsmill for our honeymoon in 1990 -- it was wonderful. Glad to hear it's still great.

Agree on the Kingsmill recommendation. We stayed here a few years ago & loved it. Very relaxing as it's more spaced out - had one of the cheaper rooms, us & our two kids and was plenty big. We did eat at one of the restaurants there outside along the river - good food & pretty to sit out there. Easy to get to everything - we did Busch Gardens, the water park & went over to the outlets. If you have time, check out the Yankee Candle store - it's huge & not what you typically expect. They do other things there - kids had wax hands made.

We just stayed at the Embassy Suites there 2 weeks ago. I really loved it, but I always have pretty good experiences with Embassy.

- Very clean, modern. Staff was very friendly.

- Free, plentiful parking

- Free happy hour every night, beer, mixed drinks, wine. All Embassy Suites offer this. Friendly staff during this time as well. We hung out down there for a bit with the kids and they gave them crayons and coloring stuff, and were really nice.

- Very nice included breakfast -- coffee, tea, made to order omelettes, eggs, bacon, sausage, cereal, fruit, muffins, grits, etc.

- We had our 3 kids with us so having 2 areas separated by a door was helpful. Our kids shared the 2-queen bed bedroom, and my husband and I slept in the main area on the queen sleeper sofa. There is also a microwave, mini fridge, sink, and table and chairs in the main area. Nice bathroom as well.

- Kids enjoyed the indoor pool which I think was a saltwater pool. No hot tub that I could see though.

We were also in Williamsburg 2 summers ago (for the same trip, as a 2 night stop-over on our way down to OBX) and we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express which is just a few blocks away from the Embassy, it was also nice but the Embassy was better. We booked through hotels.com for a good price.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on Lightfoot road a couple years back. Good free breakfast, indoor pool, nice rooms. It is a short drive to the attractions...maybe 10-15 minutes max.

The Hilton Garden inn was great for us - 10 min drive or so to visitor center and Busch gardens and many restaurants nearby

We plan to drive down to Busch Gardens in October for the first time. Family of 4, kids 12 and 10. I am not finding Trip Advisor reviews very helpful (I usually do) and the last thread about Williamsburg on here that I can find was from 2013. Free breakfast would be great. Not looking for a cheap place, rather pay more for a nicer experience.

Any recommendations?
I can't help with hotels, but as a season pass holder, I'll tell you to get to BG when it opens. Over the years, Howl O Scream has gotten incredibly busy after 4 pm. It has also gotten very scary at night (teens swarm into the parks). During the day, the decorations are fun to look at, and it isn't usually too busy.

We are staying at an adorable bed and breakfast when I fly up for my admissions interview. It is called the fife and drum inn! Great reviews.

We've stayed at the Williamsburg Woodlands. It's on of the one site hotels. Depending on when you go you can usually get a package deal- we spent about $400 and had two nights in the hotel, hot breakfast included on site, included our tickets, a ghost tour, and a $100 credit to use within the stores or the restaurants (two adults, one child). This was in October 2013. It was also within walking distance of the historic part (beautiful walk too). https://www.colonialwilliamsburg.com/stay/williamsburg-woodlands The biggest downside was that the beds were smaller, but that was really our only complaint!

This past June we stayed at Wyndham Kingsgate Resort and really enjoyed it. Nice pool, had movie night. There's also mini golf that was nicer than some of the other Wyndham timeshares that we've stayed at.

Thank you for all the suggestions! I was sold on the omelet station at Embassy Suites but they are completely booked for our dates! Kingsgate and Kingsmill would be great in the summer to enjoy the amenities but we will be there in October and are only staying 2 nights. I think we will go with Holiday Inn Express Busch Gardens for now. But if Embassy Suites opens up I will be all over that! Now I want to plan a summer trip!

Even though you've made your decision, for others searching in the future I agree with Williamsburg Woodlands. The rooms have a separate sleeping area (great for tired kids and parents who want their own space), a kitchenette and free breakfast which changed daily. We were there six days and it was fantastic. The restaurant on site offers good food with carry out (also great for tired kids). There's a shuttle to Busch Gardens too so you don't have to worry about parking. Of course it makes the most sense if you want to combine with a visit to Historic Williamsburg, otherwise staying closer to BG is a better choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter