Will you pay $150 for the new "Disney After Dark" event in the MK?

Would you spend $150 on your next trip for the Disney after Dark event?

• Yes

Votes: 66 6.0%
  • No

Votes: 953 87.1%
  • Not sure

Votes: 75 6.9%

• Total voters
Does anyone else see this as the end of evening EMH hours? I've sat back and watched as Disney has lately started finding many ways to upcharge for certain experiences, preferred seating, etc. And I'm ok with most of them. I realize Disney is a business with a duty to their shareholders to maximize profits and we live in a capitalist society. For some reason, this one really hacks me off. If these "events" are successful (and I'm sure they will be), why would Disney continue to offer evening EMH's in MK when they can charge for them? The reason this really bothers me so much is that I feel like this was one of the true perks of staying onsite. And if they discontinue it, then it will really devalue the price of staying onsite for me and my family. UGH. Come on Disney- don't make your most devoted customers feel like they're getting the shaft. Get ready- I predict if these are successful this will be the end of evening EMH's as we knew them.

I had the unique opportunity to attend an after hours part at both MK and HS as part of a large conference at Disney. At MK, not every ride was open but the headliners (pre mine train) were. The park was pretty empty plus they had food and alcohol. Pretty cool - and my wife could go for $75. It was 3 hours long and really fun.

Does anyone else see this as the end of evening EMH hours? I've sat back and watched as Disney has lately started finding many ways to upcharge for certain experiences, preferred seating, etc. And I'm ok with most of them. I realize Disney is a business with a duty to their shareholders to maximize profits and we live in a capitalist society. For some reason, this one really hacks me off. If these "events" are successful (and I'm sure they will be), why would Disney continue to offer evening EMH's in MK when they can charge for them? The reason this really bothers me so much is that I feel like this was one of the true perks of staying onsite. And if they discontinue it, then it will really devalue the price of staying onsite for me and my family. UGH. Come on Disney- don't make your most devoted customers feel like they're getting the shaft. Get ready- I predict if these are successful this will be the end of evening EMH's as we knew them.

::yes:: My thoughts exactly!

True! My first stop would be Australia for sure. Then Hawaii, and then Antarctica, followed by a long river cruise throughout Europe.

...and then maybe some Disney. :)

I've drooled over a South American cruise that has a day trip to Antarctica. And a river cruise sounds most excellent. Sorry. :offtopic: Carry on.

I was also searching for the HELL NO button.

Admittedly, I am not one to pay for add-on events, as we wear ourselves OUT just doing the included/basics!

I also agree with those who say "well, I won't pay $X for Y event, but more power to those who want to"

HOWEVER, to those who think this takes nothing away from those who choose not to participate, I think you are way off base. I travel in Halloween party season but do not do the parties. Even I notice the increased crowding in recent years on those days because Main Street has become a madhouse starting by about 5pm as day guests are still there and party guests are arriving. The existence of the parties makes the crowd flow ON a party day very different, as well as the crowd flow from one day to the next very different and important for planning.

Finally, I REALLY can't relate to the comparisons to a one-day ticket with a shoulder shrug. That hefty one day $125 price tag is new (and unjustified IMO) and I personally buy multi-day tickets so that my average daily rate is about $45. No way is this event, as described, worth over three times that!

I don't trust Disney when they promise short lines. Also I think they've cut corners on their food, snacks and beverages so I seriously doubt that the food at this event would be anything special (fancy dry cupcakes with 4 inches of frosting are not special to me). I can't think of anything they've done lately that has made me say 'WOW' so there's no way I'd pay $150 for what I perceive to be empty promises.

Have they lost their minds? My family has been going to Disney World ever since I was a small child. I am now in my 50's and I have taken my kids twice a year for the past 18 years. I've spent so much money in Disney World I could have purchased another property. We usually do a 2 week stay in the summer and another week in the winter. This year has been the worst I have ever seen for price increases. They priced us right out of the game. Now we are only planning a few days in Disney World and are spening the rest of our time elsewhere. I stopped flying low cost carrier airlines because of the nickle and diming. After this year, I see Disney World not as a vacation where I felt like I was getting value for my investment, but as a low cost carrier who really doesn't care if I return or not.

Help me out here:
I keep hearing a lot of responses that say" only if I were on a 1 day trip"...well that's exactly what me and my family are doing. (DH, ds 5, and I)All of our first trips actually and will only have 1 day in MK (before a cruise). Wouldn't you know this pops up on the day we will be there may 19th. So my question is, if you lived on the west coast, were unlikely to return for a couple years, only had 1 day in MK would you do it then??! I just want to get an idea of whether I should actually consider something so ridiculous as this! The price tag seems crazy but there's only 3 of us. (We also already purchased our 1 day tickets to MK) I'd hate to have our one day/night not be the best it could be by mass crowds flooding in at 7...what would you do??

Edited to mention: the next day may 20th was a water park day for us if that's relevant that we don't really need to be up at the crack of dawn again but would like to be there when they open at 10

Coming from the west coast and if your son tends to stay up late, I would absolutely consider it. I agree the price tag is crazy, but for a first trip, only one day in the MK, and not planning to return for a few years, I would probably do it. This would give you the opportunity to ride everything, which is pretty much impossible in a single MK day. If the admission is very limited, it also allows you multiple rides one after the other, and as a mother of a 5 year old I can appreciate how amazing that is. Every time my son gets off a ride he says he wants to go on again, which during normal hours is never an option.

5/19 was originally going to be our last day, but we added a day to our trip. If we had stayed with our original plan I probably would have considered this.

I would only book it if nights were available after the first event and reports came back on how it went. Realistically I'm disabled and this wouldn't be something I'd pay for, but if I could turn back time and I were in perfect shape, I'd still wait and see what folks say about it. It is a lot of money for only 3 hours!

I haven't ready every post on this topic, so this might be a repeat. I'm thinking Disney is testing the waters on whether people are willing to pay for short lines. The crowds have to be hard on the facilities, cast members and Disney's ability to provide a magical experience. If they could charge more, offer a better overall experience, and make the same profit, I'm thinking they will do that. This after hours event may just test that theory. I for one would go if I only had one day at Disney. I'm thinking three hours, with no lines, all on fresh feet - would be a blast. They'd have to guarantee good weather though.

It may also be the end to early EMH as well just saw this on MK's dinning
Disney Early Morning Magic – Fantasyland
Experiences VaryPrices VaryMagic Kingdom Park
Table Service

I don't think they are targeting families. I think this is targeting adults who want a few hours of low crowds and are willing to pay for it.
This reminds me of those after-hours events held in various museums in big cities catered to the 21+ crowd. So... maybe an open bar to justify the price tag? :drinking: HA. Who am I kidding - can you imagine MK at 2 AM... But seriously though, wouldn't that be kind of fun?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter