Will you cruise if face masks are required on board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In most cases, plexiglass dividers are hygiene theater. They really don't close space off, and only really offer effectiveness in short cycles, against large droplets. They don't do much for smaller particles that can go around the plexiglass barrier and stay airborne for longer. They work best in combination with... you guessed it, masks and distancing.

I just saw a Ford ad, in which they say "we are so close" and urge us to "hang in there," with the promise of a soon return to living (presumably mask-less living). Is this reality, wishful thinking, or false advertising? I mean, there are so many others urging masks for the foreseeable future. Do you think the message is being changed to make people think that getting the shot is the tradeoff for getting rid of masks? I think they have figured out if they don't at least strongly suggest that we will be getting rid of masks, then not enough people will get the vaccine.

Last edited:
As a follow-up to my previous comment, below is an article from today that talks about speeding up the timeline for doing away with masks. There appears to me to have been an inflection point in the PR campaign. Previous communications have not given people who are reluctant about getting the vaccine any upside for taking it.

And, with acceptance of the vaccine not seeming to gain any momentum, they have decided to shift tactics. The problem is, that after they signaled that masks would continue to be required for some time after vaccines, trying to reverse field on that will likely meet with a lot of skepticism from the public.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/vaccine-means-masks-off-eventually

I just saw a Ford ad, in which they say "we are so close" and urge us to "hang in there," with the promise of a soon return to living (presumably mask-less living). Is this reality, wishful thinking, or false advertising? I mean, there are so many others urging masks for the foreseeable future. Do you think the message is being changed to make people think that getting the shot is the tradeoff for getting rid of masks? I think they have figured out if they don't at least strongly suggest that we will be getting rid of masks, then not enough people will get the vaccine.

Perhaps it depends on your definition of "soon".

After the longest 10+ months in history, for me another 10-12 months counts as "soon".

Also you say no way of plexi-dividers because you personally don't see how it works? Half walls, grouped off, who knows?

No, they are not going to be adding plexi dividers up on deck because they are not going to want to drill into that wood flooring. You can't just drill "temporary" holes in wood when it is exposed to water all the time. The water will find a way in and completely ruin it. And any dividers need to be attached properly because of the wind. All of these things need to be taken into consideration.

No, they are not going to be adding plexi dividers up on deck because they are not going to want to drill into that wood flooring. You can't just drill "temporary" holes in wood when it is exposed to water all the time. The water will find a way in and completely ruin it. And any dividers need to be attached properly because of the wind. All of these things need to be taken into consideration.

Except they can be all interconnected and attached in specific spots or to other steel areas on the top deck.

Yes it all needs to be taken in to account but lots of things are possible. We just need to wait to see what DCL announces/decides.

No, because we were planning to cruise with a 7 month old and she wouldn’t be able to wear one so it wouldn’t be safe for her. If it was just us adults, probably still no. I also have no problem wearing a mask but I feel like if we still need them we probably shouldn’t be cruising to begin with.

Honestly we are kind of expecting our cruise to end up cancelled. We’ve also been waiting for 2022 to come out since we’re thinking of just pushing back to be safe.

The vast majority of countries have never worn masks in public when sick. And it’s still not all the time in the Asian countries and no laws/mandates....big differences.

The mandates will eventually ebb once there is some control of the spread but I also predict moving on many more countries are going to have citizens that choose to wear masks during cold\flu season or when ill.

The mandates will eventually ebb once there is some control of the spread but I also predict moving on many more countries are going to have citizens that choose to wear masks during cold\flu season or when ill.

Wearing if you choose sure I don’t care, but I’m tired of the comparisons to Asia that implies it’s required there when it isn’t.

Wearing if you choose sure I don’t care, but I’m tired of the comparisons to Asia that implies it’s required there when it isn’t.
I am also tired of those comparisons. In addition, there are many other legal and cultural practices in China and other parts of Asia that many people here might find abhorrent (social credit system in China, and wet markets for example), and vice versa. Asking nations to abruptly change their ways of life because that's the way they do it somewhere else is probably not going to resonate well.

I am also tired of those comparisons. In addition, there are many other legal and cultural practices in China and other parts of Asia that many people here might find abhorrent (social credit system in China, and wet markets for example), and vice versa. Asking nations to abruptly change their ways of life because that's the way they do it somewhere else is probably not going to resonate well.

It isn't just China where they are common - Japan and South Korea do as well, and don't have nearly the oversight that China enforces. Here we choose to glorify psychological reactance and the individual instead of the community whole (both have downsides) but I don't think this really boils down to being asked to do a thing just because its how its done elsewhere. The WHY its done that way and the current issue we're actively trying to solve is the impetus. They do this thing, it seems to work well, lets do it while we have a need and if it works and we like it, keep doing it.

They do this thing, it seems to work well, lets do it while we have a need and if it works and we like it, keep doing it.
Some of the "we" like it and some of the "we" don't. That's the issue. It won't get solved on this site, and probably not at all.

I don’t like commercials or tv shows where the people are wearing masks. This is such a crisis why do we have to be reminded of it trying to relax and watch tv. Not sure why they have to keep bringing it up
I have been watching a lot of college football over the last few days. The masks are quickly disappearing from commercials.

I think it would depend on where masks would be required. We have an Alaskan sailing booked for September (which I'm thinking is a 50/50 shot right now and much will depend on Canada), and if it does sail, I'm interested to see what the mask policy will be.

In general, I think we would be fine wearing them in the theater, in & out of dining spaces, and most indoor places in general. I would not really be OK wearing them outoodrs lounging by the pool all day, which is where we spend most of our Caribbean cruise time.
This is how I feel too, would wear one indoors on the ship but out on the pool deck? Nope. Hoping by end of 2021 the mask requirement and covid threat in general will be diminished. I am all for wearing masks and following the guidelines right now but I refuse to accept this will be the new normal for years to come. However I do think most of 2021 still. Unfortunately.
I am grateful that we took a cruise in Jan 2020 and our next one (after a couple of cancelled) is August Alaska. I am about to cancel it though because I am almost certain that there will still be restrictions onboard, if Alaska is a go at all, as our Canadian government is unlikely to allow anyone to come here without jumping through numerous hoops. Although I hope by summer they do ease the restrictions.
After Alaska our next cruise is mid January 2022, moved from January 2021. I really hope, like many others that life will be mostly back to normal by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter