Will WDW lift mask mandate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While getting infected may be more likely, getting infected with Covid isn't a death sentence of most of the people who get Covid. 99.5% or greater it won't be more than a basic viral ailment. Everyone is going to get infected, vaccine or not, eventually.
Yes, but hospitalization is much more common, and if people have to pay for that rather than expecting other people to pay it for them then they might just choose differently.

Well that’s the question, isn’t it. What happens first, loosened international travel or herd immunity reached in countries that see a lot of travel to Disney.

And I think that’s the point, there are factors that may influence the decision that we don’t know enough about to make a good guess one way or the other.

Very true, and I’m sure there are many International travelers itching to get back here as soon as they feel it’s both safe for their families and safe here in America. I am hopeful both can happen in 2022.

I'm not going to quote specific posts. I suggested Disney should be relying on medical sources like the CDC for guidance on issues like mask policy. I suggested politicians and posts on Disney fan sites aren't good sources.

My memory is CDC suggested parks could open with 6 foot social distancing. I also read incidental close contact, less then 15 minutes total a day, shouldn't be an issue. Disney tries to enforce social distancing where plexiglass isn't practical. Disney's initial marketing was to guests located in states within driving distance. Disney isn't following CDC guidelines 100%, 100% of the time BUT Disney isn't following policies outline by politicians.

A few posters are talking about personal freedoms. We have no-smoking policies, seat belt requirements, helmets required by motorcyclists, child seat requirements, shoes and shirts required in restaurants....a little thought and I can add to the list.
I’d press you to find a law about shoes- but you won’t because it’s the restaurants prerogative.

so it’s Disney prerogative too. They’ll eventually decide something, and, as many posters have pointed out, it might be modified directions from the CDC as they have already done. People are going to be absolutely livid either way.

as always, you can ride your motorcycle without a helmet, and you can go maskless at other places outside of Disney. For the posters upset, may I kindly suggest to spend your money elsewhere. Griping about it won’t change it, but getting involved in local things would be a better use of your time.

Yes kids may play a role, International travel may ( whenever it fully resumes), which may include having to have the vaccine to enter or antibodies/negative test which would lessen the risk anyway. But bottom line is there will come a point they will go away and some will think too soon and some will think they should have already done it. They are a US park and once US hospitalizations and deaths are done and remain down the time will come to remove them. Life is never with out risk and it will come down that the visitors (like now) will have to assume whatever level of risk it is going to Disney or a concert or whatever it is.

Yes kids may play a role, International travel may ( whenever it fully resumes), which may include having to have the vaccine to enter or antibodies/negative test which would lessen the risk anyway. But bottom line is there will come a point they will go away and some will think too soon and some will think they should have already done it. They are a US park and once US hospitalizations and deaths are done and remain down the time will come to remove them. Life is never with out risk and it will come down that the visitors (like now) will have to assume whatever level of risk it is going to Disney or a concert or whatever it is.

The bottom line IMO is they’re going to go when Disney feels it’s best and I’m sure they consider a host of factors like potential PR, money, and safety issues. They have no obligation to only take into account deaths and hospitalizations and let whatever happens happen.

Disney has held strong this long despite other places returning to 100% normal, and despite what and when people think they should or should not be doing. They just doubled down on their in restaurant mask use. No indication they are relaxing anything but distancing. When they do, they do. Until then, assume if you’ve got a trip planned it’s in a mask.

The answer is simply...

Disney will lift the mask mandate when they are darn well good and ready!

giphy.gif

The bottom line IMO is they’re going to go when Disney feels it’s best and I’m sure they consider a host of factors like potential PR, money, and safety issues. They have no obligation to only take into account deaths and hospitalizations and let whatever happens happen.

Disney has held strong this long despite other places returning to 100% normal, and despite what and when people think they should or should not be doing. They just doubled down on their in restaurant mask use. No indication they are relaxing anything but distancing. When they do, they do. Until then, assume if you’ve got a trip planned it’s in a mask.

Agreed. None of the theme parks have really changed much. Even loose Legoland removed their exemptions policy for masks and people over there are ticked. But I am still optimistic it will be this year and honestly before many on this board think it will be. We haven't gone back and won't till masks are dropped or possibly loosened alot and we are okay with it we have been enjoying other trips in stead.

I would not be surprised to see insurance companies put in exceptions for coverage for those who choose not to become vaccinated at some point. The cost for hospitalization can surpass $1MM in severe cases. Why should society pay for their gamble?
That’s pretty harsh. My dad had a triple bypass and wasn’t sick one day for seven years. Then that year he got his yearly flu shot, in three days was hospitalized with pneumonia, had a heat attack and died. My friends dad had a heart attack last year, and one day in January, he cleaned and cooked two deer his friend brought him. He got his Covid shot the next day; four days later he had a heart attack and died.

I still think I may get the vaccine, but I’m not 100% sure. But I’m not asking anyone else to protect me. And I’m certain my mother’s cancer treatments cost over $1M too. Insurance companies do the math and they base our premiums on that; they expect claims. Kind of harsh to suggest anyone who decides not to vaccinate doesn’t deserve insurance coverage.

That’s pretty harsh. My dad had a triple bypass and wasn’t sick one day for seven years. Then that year he got his yearly flu shot, in three days was hospitalized with pneumonia, had a heat attack and died. My friends dad had a heart attack last year, and one day in January, he cleaned and cooked two deer his friend brought him. He got his Covid shot the next day; four days later he had a heart attack and died.

I still think I may get the vaccine, but I’m not 100% sure. But I’m not asking anyone else to protect me. And I’m certain my mother’s cancer treatments cost over $1M too. Insurance companies do the math and they base our premiums on that; they expect claims. Kind of harsh to suggest anyone who decides not to vaccinate doesn’t deserve insurance coverage.

So agree. Sorry about your dad.

My entire family is vaccinated but we will not get this one. While there are many unknowns with Covid, there are also many unknowns with this vaccine. We’re waiting it out.

If some feel they need to prevent us from being admitted places because we choose to be cautious, so be it. At this time, we still have the right to do what we feel is in the best interest for our family.

Yes, but hospitalization is much more common, and if people have to pay for that rather than expecting other people to pay it for them then they might just choose differently.

What are you trying to say? Covid shouldn't be a covered expense by your insurance? You do realize you can still get Covid if you get the shot (just like the flu shot doesn't guarantee you will not get the flu).

I agree. You are 100% right. That's like saying you don't want to pay $$$ premiums which come from the millions of claims that are related to high cholesterol, diabetes, heart disease etc, but those people putting in those claims still don't choose to attempt to lose weight, eat healthier, etc.

Very sorry to hear about your dad also.

I have quite a few friends who are CMs, and while nobody enjoys wearing a mask (especially in the Florida heat), every one has articulated to me — in some way — that the mask is the thing that has made them feel comfortable returning to a workplace where they encounter thousands of Guests an hour. The majority of front-line CMs are also younger, so unless theme park workers receive early access to the vaccine in FL, they would be at the end of the line for vaccines.

For the WDW mask requirement to be lifted, the OC mandate must be lifted (county officials are saying they won’t consider until the summer at least), other businesses have to lift theirs (Disney is not going first), and a new agreement must be reached with all of the various unions that represent Disney CMs. That’s a lot of hurdles to clear before any change is made to WDW’s mask policy, let alone removing the policy altogether.

Have you been to WDW lately? I have had 2 trips in the last 6 months. The majority of cast members are NOT young. In fact, the majority that I saw where retirement age. There were so few young people that it stood out that the average age of the cast members was easily over 50. I even asked a few cast member how they decided who was coming back and they all said seniority. I imagine most of these cast members have already reached the age where they can get the vaccine now.

Have you been to WDW lately? I have had 2 trips in the last 6 months. The majority of cast members are NOT young. In fact, the majority that I saw where retirement age. There were so few young people that it stood out that the average age of the cast members was easily over 50. I even asked a few cast member how they decided who was coming back and they all said seniority. I imagine most of these cast members have already reached the age where they can get the vaccine now.

not all yet I believe it’s Monday when Florida is lowering the age to 60 for vaccines outside of teachers , healthcare and things like that.

No matter what the state of Florida does, I don't expect to see WDW change their mask policy to late summer/early fall or even 2022.
They have far more to lose by lifting it too early than they have to gain.
To a degree, I wouldn't be surprised to see Oct 1 as the date, if enough people are vaccinated.

Good point & off topic but we noticed that the last few trips too & commented on how things felt more like they used to when were kids. The older ppl we encountered were much more into interacting with DS (2) than most of the young CMs. The younger were always polite, but more of the older ones we encountered seemed to go above & beyond when interacting with DS.

You are referring to disposable masks and not cloth ones that can be washed, I assume.
[/
You are referring to disposable masks and not cloth ones that can be washed, I assume.
the first thing I wrote was about taking it off without getting hands contaminated. Maybe you are the exception that gets in their car, takes off their mask with gloves, puts it in a bag and washes it after that. Point is, most people put it in their pocket, glove box, on seat, etc. most people don’t care.

This is just wrong (and not just your Minnie Van statement). I suggest you spend some time looking at how vaccines work. As for the COVID-19 vaccines, this bit of speculation has been repeated frequently because, rightfully so, officials have remained cautious in the absence of real world data. Fortunately Israel - who has among the highest vaccinations rates in the world - now has data to start to answer this question. Two Israeli studies have found that the Pfizer vaccine greatly reduces virus transmission:

https://www.reuters.com/article/hea...19-vaccine-reduces-transmission-idUSKBN2AJ08J
If you want to follow the most up to date science regarding COVID vaccines, look at the Israeli studies. They have the data.

With science, speculation is worthless, data is the only standard.
Well, I really wish your post was 100% true. Sterilizing immunity across the board is not what we are seeing with the Covid-19 vaccine thus far, and isn't really necessary to curb outbreaks. The Israeli study you're referencing was limited and not peer-reviewed, but it certainly is encouraging.
I personally had the vaccine one day in December, tested negative the next (surveillance culture for work), had a second Pfizer vaccine 18 days later, and turned up asymptomatically positive on a surveillance culture two and a half weeks after the second dose. I was probably exposed shortly before or after my first dose. Did the vaccine give my immune system a jump start? Who knows? I will say that I'm eternally grateful that we decided to skip Christmas with my elderly parents...did everything via Zoom. I was fully vaccinated, with a recent negative test. Should have been fine, right? Not so much.
I will look forward to seeing the transmission rates of asymptomatic infections going forward; clearly the emerging variants will make things much more complicated.
On the masking note, I'll be wearing my mask during our fall 2021 trip...but it sure would be nice to be able to safely remove it for pictures and eating! :)

So here is proof to what Dr. Fauci is saying: I recently had a doctor's appointment. The next day, my doctor called me to inform me that he and four others in the office tested positive for COVID and were asymptomatic. They still test every day. They all had been fully vaccinated. He wore a mask and I wore a mask but I still had to isolate for 6 days until I was eligible to get the PCR test, which was negative. The vaccine does not prevent you from getting the virus but does prevent you from getting ill. Dr. Fauci has repeatedly said that the mask mandate will be around for some time. You can have the virus even after being vaccinated, and not know it. President Biden says that there will be enough vaccines for every adult by May. However, roughly 31% of Americans (according to new PEW Research Poll) still say they won't get vaccinated. (Over 18 that means roughly 144 million will get it and 65 million will not.) So, by April, I think every adult who wants the shot will be able to get it. Pfizer's vaccine for children is estimated to be ready for FDA Emergency Use Authorization in September. Masks will still be required to protect the 65 million who choose not to get vaccinated and our kids who cannot get vaccinated yet. I think the CDC will relax other restrictions but not the mask mandate in public.
This!

Exactly.

Anyone who uses "so and so got the vaccine but also got the virus" as a reason to say the vaccine doesn't work....doesn't understand how vaccines work. Vaccines allow you to fight off the virus when you get it. They don't create a force field around your body....

In the trials of Moderna, Pfizer and (I believe) J&J nobody who got the vaccine died. Some got the virus, some got sick.....none died. That's outstanding evidence.
Agreed! I testing positive after my second dose of vaccine...Covid for me was Netflix and a mandatory two week break from work, not fighting for my life while in the prone position, on 100% oxygen, and mechanically ventilated like so many of the patients we have treated. The worst thing that it did to me was delay an elective surgery by a couple of weeks. Win! :)

In addition, they are wearing face shields in addition to masks underneath and some of the CM’s we’ve spoken to can not wait to get them off their face. I think they will remove the masks after the access to the vaccine is widely available, even if people choose not to take it.

Outside of the theme parks, I’m just hoping when the cruises start up again in the fall, they are not requiring masks. We have one booked in December and I’ll cancel if that is the case. 😩

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter