Will WDW lift mask mandate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are veering OT again, and I don’t want to see this thread get shutdown.

So when do you think WDW will lift mask mandates? I still think Spring 2022, though of course I hope that I am wrong.
We have 3 vaccines rolling out. I honestly cannot see it lasting longer than the start of 2022, if not ending sooner. Unless something very unpredictable happens of course.

Nope - you can get all of those things without doing anything unhealthy. A decision not to take the Covid vaccine is a decision to get infected, IMO.

While getting infected may be more likely, getting infected with Covid isn't a death sentence of most of the people who get Covid. 99.5% or greater it won't be more than a basic viral ailment. Everyone is going to get infected, vaccine or not, eventually.

With the RAT announcement of October 1st, I tend to think Disney expects to remove most restrictions by then.

They obviously are delaying the ride because they want something for the 50th.

But I'm sure they also considering that they would have to add plexiglass, incredibly long socially distances queues, and space out the people on ride vehicles. I could totally see internally them planning "removal" of all restrictions on Oct 1 (if the scientific data supports) as a new selling point of the 50th.

Disney is greedy and this doesn't cost them a penny and it will absolutely increase demand.

Agreed. And I will be honest, as soon as I'm eligible I will get the vaccine for myself, but I'm in zero rush to get it for my kids. For me as an adult, the long term risks of Covid are far greater than the unknown side effects of the vaccine (which may be none). I can't say the same for vaccinating my kids.
I agree with you. I'm in no way an anti vaxxer but my kids aren't getting the covid vax. I got my first dose yesterday of the Pfizer vaccine. I was on the fence for along time but eventually I got it because I work in healthcare.

With the RAT announcement of October 1st, I tend to think Disney expects to remove most restrictions by then.

They obviously are delaying the ride because they want something for the 50th.

But I'm sure they also considering that they would have to add plexiglass, incredibly long socially distances queues, and space out the people on ride vehicles. I could totally see internally them planning "removal" of all restrictions on Oct 1 (if the scientific data supports) as a new selling point of the 50th.

Disney is greedy and this doesn't cost them a penny and it will absolutely increase demand.
I’m inclined to agree with this. Assuming that all other theme parks have removed restrictions by then, I could see Disney doing it on October 1. Make October 1 be just a huge day all around for the company. I think Disney will be last in removing restrictions and that masks will be the last one to be removed. I think it all comes down to what the opinion on unvaccinated kids are. If all adults can be vaccinated by end of June, there is no reason for a mask mandate in October if that’s your measuring stick. If you won’t unmask until kids can be vaccinated, that might be well into next year as studies on kids haven’t been done yet as far as I know and I think they might require a different dosage or specialized vaccine. I’m no medical expert so don’t take my word on that last piece.

Even if Disney decided to keep the mask mandate longer than other parks, that won’t stop people from visiting their parks. Sure some will say that they will not go until it’s no longer required, but there’ll be others ready to visit with masks in hand.
N
This story doesn’t make any sense. So four people who have all had the vaccine tested positive for COVID? If that is what is happening the vaccine would be worthless.
I’m inclined to agree with this. Assuming that all other theme parks have removed restrictions by then, I could see Disney doing it on October 1. Make October 1 be just a huge day all around for the company. I think Disney will be last in removing restrictions and that masks will be the last one to be removed. I think it all comes down to what the opinion on unvaccinated kids are. If all adults can be vaccinated by end of June, there is no reason for a mask mandate in October if that’s your measuring stick. If you won’t unmask until kids can be vaccinated, that might be well into next year as studies on kids haven’t been done yet as far as I know and I think they might require a different dosage or specialized vaccine. I’m no medical expert so don’t take my word on that last piece.
I think they may say you don't need them early September, give people a month to make decision to go for 50th,
Just my thoughts on this.

I'm not going to quote specific posts. I suggested Disney should be relying on medical sources like the CDC for guidance on issues like mask policy. I suggested politicians and posts on Disney fan sites aren't good sources.

My memory is CDC suggested parks could open with 6 foot social distancing. I also read incidental close contact, less then 15 minutes total a day, shouldn't be an issue. Disney tries to enforce social distancing where plexiglass isn't practical. Disney's initial marketing was to guests located in states within driving distance. Disney isn't following CDC guidelines 100%, 100% of the time BUT Disney isn't following policies outline by politicians.

A few posters are talking about personal freedoms. We have no-smoking policies, seat belt requirements, helmets required by motorcyclists, child seat requirements, shoes and shirts required in restaurants....a little thought and I can add to the list.

Everyone who thinks like this misses the point. This country is built on civil liberties and self determination. The worst of this pandemic is over, the numbers tell us that. It is NOW time for the individual to make up their own minds. I just do not understand the thinking of so many that after over 200 years of fighting for individual freedoms we are now willing to throw them out. Be careful for what you wish for, the next liberty they go after could be something much worse.

Please tell me this is satire.

I've been cracking up for 20 mins

I'm not going to quote specific posts. I suggested Disney should be relying on medical sources like the CDC for guidance on issues like mask policy. I suggested politicians and posts on Disney fan sites aren't good sources.

My memory is CDC suggested parks could open with 6 foot social distancing. I also read incidental close contact, less then 15 minutes total a day, shouldn't be an issue. Disney tries to enforce social distancing where plexiglass isn't practical. Disney's initial marketing was to guests located in states within driving distance. Disney isn't following CDC guidelines 100%, 100% of the time BUT Disney isn't following policies outline by politicians.

A few posters are talking about personal freedoms. We have no-smoking policies, seat belt requirements, helmets required by motorcyclists, child seat requirements, shoes and shirts required in restaurants....a little thought and I can add to the list.

I more just meant Disney follows Disney policy. I’m not talking about personal freedoms, I’m just saying they’ve done what’s best for them in their situation. Cause they aren’t really following CDC policy either. Which means they may or may not wait for the CDC to lift mask mandates, but who knows. They could make people wear them longer. I’m not necessarily sure it’s “a clue” more than anything else is. I can’t remember, they closed on their own didn’t they? Or did the CDC recommend it?

I haven't read all 16 pages, but missing from the conversation is an international perspective. Everyone is quoting vacc. stats for the U.S. and CDC guidelines. A good deal of Disney's returning crowds will be international guests, and most countries are way behind the U.S. in terms of dates for getting shots into every adult.

In Canada, we have had delay after delay because the U.S. gov't has decided not to forward our promised shipments until all U.S. citizens have been vaccinated. I don't say this to judge if the U.S. is right or wrong in holding back our shipments, only to say that it is going to be a loooooong time before all adult guests to WDW will have had the opportunity to be vaccinated.

Please tell me this is satire.

I've been cracking up for 20 mins

Trying to understand what is so comical about that person’s post. A lot of people lost everything due to the restrictions over the last year. 🤷‍♀️

Anyway, with the exception of a handful of places, FL does not have a mask mandate. Experiencing it myself, people appear to be mature enough to make their own personal decision to wear masks or get a vaccine here. If Disney stops the mask requirement, people can still wear them if they want.

I haven't read all 16 pages, but missing from the conversation is an international perspective. Everyone is quoting vacc. stats for the U.S. and CDC guidelines. A good deal of Disney's returning crowds will be international guests, and most countries are way behind the U.S. in terms of dates for getting shots into every adult.

In Canada, we have had delay after delay because the U.S. gov't has decided not to forward our promised shipments until all U.S. citizens have been vaccinated. I don't say this to judge if the U.S. is right or wrong in holding back our shipments, only to say that it is going to be a loooooong time before all adult guests to WDW will have had the opportunity to be vaccinated.

I am sorry but the responsibility is on you at that point. If you choose to travel to the US unvaccinated to go to a Theme park, you assume the risk.

I am sorry but the responsibility is on you at that point. If you choose to travel to the US unvaccinated to go to a Theme park, you assume the risk.
I'm trying to say that Disney, as a hub of international travel, is not going to lift the mask mandate as soon as Americans might think. I'm not personally going to WDW until at least 2022 and I am vaccinated.

I'm trying to say that Disney, as a hub of international travel, is not going to lift the mask mandate as soon as Americans might think. I'm not personally going to WDW until at least 2022 and I am vaccinated.

Totally agree with you international travellers returning can be a big factor, depending on the numbers and the vax situation.

Kids under 16 will not be vaccinated and yes they’re lower risk generally (but low =/= no) but if you’re gathering a bunch of unvaccinated children with people from other countries without the virus under control and without high levels of vaccine uptake, and also without precautions of any sort in place, it could end up causing some spread linked to Disney.

I think the situation is way more complex than people want it to be. US adults having the opportunity to be vaccinated may not be enough to allow lifting of everything. Lots of factors at play. Ultimately I think Covid numbers, not vaccine availability, will drive decisions. Similar but not the same.

That’s a very good point.

But how many countries are even able to travel for leisure to the U.S. right now without a negative test and two week quarantine? I would assume our country won’t change those rules until the rest of the world is vaccinated at the same rate we are here. So I’m thinking when/if mask mandates are lifted, international travel still isn’t really happening.

But how many countries are even able to travel for leisure to the U.S. right now without a negative test and two week quarantine? I would assume our country won’t change those rules until the rest of the world is vaccinated at the same rate we are here. So I’m thinking when/if mask mandates are lifted, international travel still isn’t really happening.

Well that’s the question, isn’t it. What happens first, loosened international travel or herd immunity reached in countries that see a lot of travel to Disney.

And I think that’s the point, there are factors that may influence the decision that we don’t know enough about to make a good guess one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter