Will this end up being the pandemic that cried wolf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a surprising number of young people dying (less than 65 is young). Here are the numbers from New Jersey:

View attachment 490227

Check out the charts of who is hospitalized by age group. Much more spread out.
And it’s not like those recovered from being hospitalized are returning home in a physical state they were in prior to being infected. There are lasting effects in many.
A simple flu doesn’t do that.

We may never have a vaccine. Possibly, COVID could mutate and weaken. Hopefully, we will find effective treatments. Herd immunity may be the best option. If so, what's next? Do we lock down until there's nothing left, let it rip or maybe something in between?

Really? I live in Michigan too. Two weeks ago, my father-in-law had some weird chest pains. Called his doctor, got an appointment to be seen the next day. Had a stress test on Tuesday. No stint needed, but would have had one on Wednesday if needed. We have all had doctor's appointments through our health portal. Henry Ford hospital has restarted some of their elective surgeries. My brother-in-law had a knee replacement in February, he still goes to PT three times a week with a mask. My daughter continues to with her therapy through our health portal.

The President and CDC stated that you should wear a mask. When we need to go to the grocery store, we wear a mask to help protect the people working in those stores keeping them stocked. They don't need to get sick because we are too self-centered to care about their health or their families health.

Can you please provide the proof that Michigan has only had 500 deaths due to Covid-19? Who is falsifying death certificates? I'm sure the three Detroit hospitals that had to bring in refrigerated trucks to store the dead would disagree. The reasons deaths in Michigan are low is because we flattened the dang curve.

If I hear one more person talk about not being able to get lawn care or flowers, I will scream. It was snowing yesterday, it has been in the low 40s with night time temps in the high 20s. In Michigan, we don't plant our dang flowers until at least May 10 or so to make sure there is no frost. If you need seeds to start something in your house, order them online! I have an appointment with the Greenhouse I always get my flowers from (local Mom and Pop place) for mid May. Gosh, went on their website, made an appointment and I get to have the place all to myself for one hour to pick up my flowers. It is amazing the things people can think of to keep everyone safe and run a business. Who says you can't cut your neighbors lawn and who is calling the police if you do?? No one is and no one has a problem with you cutting your elderly neighbors lawn cause her lawn service can't right now. The reason they don't want lawnscapers or construction workers doing work is because Miss Dig will not come out and mark lines. You can't go digging in the ground unless you know where lines are without someone getting hurt or killed.

Yes, those people protesting in Lansing last week were covidiots. My only hope is they don't pass their sickness around to some poor innocent person who was doing the right thing to keep everyone safe.

You need to re-read what I wrote because you clearly did not read it. I work for a health system in MI - a very large one. We've had just over 500 deaths in OUR system. Pull your head out of the sand. This is not about seeds and boating. Its about your rights as a human being and them being taken away - 1 thing at a time. Keep drinking the kool-aid though if thats what helps you sleep at night.

So much conflicting info out there. INMHO it is worse than the flu for 2 big reasons: 1) if I heave the flu I am likely displaying symptoms and can only give it to somebody else if they get close. Odds are either I will keep my distance from people or they will see me hacking and keep back. Not so here. 2) Flu death numbers are tracked over a full season. These numbers are only like a monthI feel the “young and healthy not being affected” can be a bit of a red herring. Lots of stories about under 60 being infected/dying and nobody really knows the long term damage this does to your body. On 9/11 the govt said air was ok at ground zero. How’s that work out? Lungs were damaged which had tragic consequences for many
I don’t blame protesters one bit. Some parts of the country have not seen the devastation I have in NY and the real devestation is being felt on their economic front. I also feel all the conflicting info out there makes it confusing. If I live in a place that has not been hit had will that continue? I can’t seem to find anyone with any real knowledge to say one way or the other...

I've never seen projections of over a million dead with lockdown in place from anyone aside from people who have been yelling that we never should have shut down in the first place. It's very weird.
Because there wasn’t. Those were numbers if there wasn’t any social distancing/SIP. The poster is clearly trying to ignore that fact and apparently likes to pick bits and pieces of stats that fit their narrative.

Hopefully the numbers in the end aren’t any worse that the seasonal flu. But if that ends up being the case, it’s because we took precautions! That same poster I mention above can keep claiming there is no scientific proof social distancing/SIP did anything to help, but there is actually plenty of proof it did.

You are rude. I never said i was there and maybe you should read more and type less.
The discussion around Covidiots was talking about the protesters. You called yourself a Covidiot. The misunderstanding came from your words, not anybody else’s.

We may never have a vaccine. Possibly, COVID could mutate and weaken. Hopefully, we will find effective treatments. Herd immunity may be the best option. If so, what's next? Do we lock down until there's nothing left, let it rip or maybe something in between?

I don’t think we need to really think about those extreme situations yet. It just propagates extreme and sensationalized viewpoints prematurely IMO.

We should just focus on the small steps we can take now while hoping for the best in terms of treatments and vaccines.

You need to re-read what I wrote because you clearly did not read it. I work for a health system in MI - a very large one. We've had just over 500 deaths in OUR system. Pull your head out of the sand. This is not about seeds and boating. Its about your rights as a human being and them being taken away - 1 thing at a time. Keep drinking the kool-aid though if thats what helps you sleep at night.
Sorry, I work for one too. I bet you mine is bigger than yours. It is not about my rights as a human being taken away, it is about preventing deaths and preventing our health system from being overwhelmed. So, I suggest you pull your head out of the sand. Keep that tin foil hat on your head, it will help.

Sorry, I work for one too. I bet you mine is bigger than yours. It is not about my rights as a human being taken away, it is about preventing deaths and preventing our health system from being overwhelmed. So, I suggest you pull your head out of the sand. Keep that tin foil hat on your head, it will help.

Keep telling yourself that its not about losing your rights. Like I said, whatever helps you sleep.

Peace out.

This actually bothers me. You work in a hospital and you're ok with the protests? The ones that went on tirades against health care workers? Wow...

Its not false at all. I know people who have experienced it first hand as well as myself. If you think this is about garden seeds and boating then you don't understand anything.
Sorry but I’m not sure what you’re referring to. What exactly have you experienced first hand? Please show me where in the executive order does it prohibit any of the things you mention? I can tell you for certain, it doesn’t. If you’re going to protest something you should at least be certain that what you’re protesting against is actually true.

So, I would not consider participating in that specific protest, but as Americans I believe that it is important that we support protesting itself. It is an important part of what keeps us free - our willingness to take to the streets when we do not agree with what our government is doing.

So, (IMO) if the PP believed in the things represented by the protest, no matter her occupation, she should be applauded for supporting it. Just as we should be applauded when we protest other things.

We don't have to agree on everything, but we should agree to protect our right to disagree publicly.

So, I would not consider participating in that specific protest, but as Americans I believe that it is important that we support protesting itself. It is an important part of what keeps us free - our willingness to take to the streets when we do not agree with what our government is doing.

So, (IMO) if the PP believed in the things represented by the protest, no matter her occupation, she should be applauded for supporting it. Just as we should be applauded when we protest other things.

We don't have to agree on everything, but we should agree to protect our right to disagree publicly.

While I respect people's right to protest, I have huge issues with people protesting against our front line workers right now. Especially when they are not the ones making the decisions.

But I also think anybody who knowingly & willingly putting other lives at risk, should sign away their rights for any medical intervention, ICU beds and ventilators, pin it to them, and wear it at all times. You want to go out and protest not keeping social distancing nor wear masks - fine. But then don't ask these same people who you're protesting against to save your life.

*this is a general you

Sorry but I’m not sure what you’re referring to. What exactly have you experienced first hand? Please show me where in the executive order does it prohibit any of the things you mention? I can tell you for certain, it doesn’t. If you’re going to protest something you should at least be certain that what you’re protesting against is actually true.

Well I don't lie and I have first hand knowledge of what I spoke about so there is that. I can protest because is my right to do so and I am well versed in what I protest - its not just for the sake of joining in.

Some always take it to the extreme...both ways. Not much has changed.

Don't Panic
Stay home if you don't feel well and away from sick people
Vampire Cough
Wash you hands
Don't touch you face

Some have added...stay at home regardless and/or wear a mask.

Common sense will tell you to stay put if you are high risk. Otherwise, we need to remember the goal was to flatten the curve and don't make the cure worse than the virus.

This actually bothers me. You work in a hospital and you're ok with the protests? The ones that went on tirades against health care workers? Wow...

yes I am ok with protests because that is how we keep things. If you don't stand up for anything then you fall for everything. It was not a protest against healthcare workers at all. You really don't have any understanding of this at all and I am done with this conversation with you.

While I respect people's right to protest, I have huge issues with people protesting against our front line workers right now. Especially when they are not the ones making the decisions.
Maybe that was happening and I missed it. I thought it was a tea party protest against the government.

yes I am ok with protests because that is how we keep things. If you don't stand up for anything then you fall for everything. It was not a protest against healthcare workers at all. You really don't have any understanding of this at all and I am done with this conversation with you.
You can be done talking to me, that cool. But don't assume I don't know what the protests are about just because I disagree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter