Will this end up being the pandemic that cried wolf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a Walmart though that did tape off baby items which also included car seats. That was an issue with that particular Walmart as they interpreted the orders. That didn't get corrected until they were blasted on social media when someone went to buy such items and was met with this:

View attachment 490217

View attachment 490216

You're right the order didn't prohibit it, but like other places around the U.S. there's been confusion on what could be sold. It's played out in various ways in various states.
Exactly my point. People are protesting the governor’s “order” based on false/inaccurate information. The PP whom I quoted specifically was referring to the order banning items which are not in fact banned.

]

Agree to disagree. My recollection is that the projections were 200k dead when all states were locked down, which was lowered to 100k the following week, then 60k last week (which we will pass by the end of next week, so it is likely low).
I've never seen projections of over a million dead with lockdown in place from anyone aside from people who have been yelling that we never should have shut down in the first place. It's very weird.

I said in a chain here very earl on that we should have quarantined those who really needed protection(elderly and health issues). constantly tested people bringing them food. Guarantee their positions at work and let it blow through. The complications and the amount of people who might be getting reinfected(as reported by Korea and elsewhere) heve given me pause in feeling this is still right.

Not at all what I said. Please tell where where I said that?

The poster said: "You can't buy child car seats at Walmart." another poster chimed in saying: "Nowhere in the order does it prohibit the sale of baby items, including car seats."

It is true that at a particular Walmart car seats and other baby items were for a time prohibited from being bought, it's also true that the stay at home order did not prohibit those items from being bought.

It's true that this scenario with various businesses unsure what they can and cannot sell, interpretations to the orders have occurred throughout the U.S.

Explain to me how me stating the above aspects equates to even the hint of saying a "plan to contain this virus be dropped because one Walmart manager overreached?"

There's so much must go to extreme in responses to statements that various posters say that it's exhausting clarifying when someone is speaking in a calm matter of fact manner and is given an out of the left field response.

Chill. We agree here.
I was using your description to point out the foolishness of the covidiots for over reacting to a confused, probably panicked, big box manager.

Those numbers were based on the stay at home orders that is 100% fact. They were stated 8 days after most all of the states and larger cites stay at home orders were in place, There were some states that were outliers, but the large cites in those states were already at stay at home by March 24, like Orlando. The 1.2 million to 2 million deaths were with some stay at home orders and social distancing , all were wrong either way.

You may a some facts correct, but you ignore a very import element to those projections. Just to refresh you on one element you omitted - the models include a factor for the compliance with the stay at home orders. The early projections assumed a relatively low compliance rate. Later projections assumed a somewhat higher rate of compliance and therefore protected less cases. The reality, until now, is that there is a surprisingly high compliance rate and the lower than predicted number of cases.

Chill. We agree here.
I was using your description to point out the foolishness of the covidiots for over reacting to a confused, probably panicked, big box manager.
It's not the first time you've quoted me with out there responses. No one wants their words to be misinterpreted even if you do agree with someone so I politely request that you don't use my posts like that :flower3: I don't mind at all having a discussion with you just would like my posts not to be used in such a way.

I'm doing just fine and dandy thank you for asking; it's a glorious day outside and I'll be doing a watch party with some local DISers (and a local turned Orlando resident) later tonight :happytv: Emperor's New Groove while having a :drinking1 and doing a zoom chat with them later; plenty of chill going on today :)

They're not staged. There are definitely people who hold these sentiments, they're active online and I'm not surprised a lot of them would show up to protest in person. I don't think it's a *popular* view that they have, but it exists.
One certainly was. They were caught on video staging it. How many times will those pictures be published?

That’s with us locked down. And that’s still 5x the flu rate.
Until everyone is exposed and extensive antibody testing is done we won't know the final number. If it turns out to be 2x - 5x worse then the typical flu, or the same as a bad flu year, that will be good news. Especially compared to the multi percent rates thrown around in February and March.

Italy was what I think scared the world into action. 5x is NOT what Italy was experiencing.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1106372/coronavirus-death-rate-by-age-group-italy/
They stand at 13% even now.

That is 130x worse then the typical flu.

Last edited:
You need to read other things besides conspiracy websites or just improve your comprehension skills. You admit you took part in a demonstration that hindered medical personnel from getting to work, you didn't social distance, you put yourself and the public at risk. Shame on you. You deserve the label given.

You are rude. I never said i was there and maybe you should read more and type less.

I’m also from Michigan and have followed the protest situation closely. The misinterpretation of the governor’s order and the spreading of misinformation are a big problem. Some of what you stated is blatantly false. Nowhere in the order does it prohibit the sale of baby items, including car seats. Many of the “non essential” items you mention like paint and lawn items can be purchased from smaller stores; it’s only the big box stores greater than a certain size which are prohibited from selling those items. All of this came as the result of people not following the stay home order and Michigan quickly becoming a hot spot. I’ve never seen so many people upset about not being able to jet ski or garden when it’s not been above 50 degrees in the past 2 weeks anyway. 🙄

Its not false at all. I know people who have experienced it first hand as well as myself. If you think this is about garden seeds and boating then you don't understand anything.

In 48 days, with most states practicing some form of stay at home order we've had 49,650 countrymen die.

According to Emily Landon, the chief infectious disease epidemiologist at University of Chicago Medicine, "The healthy and optimistic among us will doom the vulnerable." She acknowledged that restrictions like a shelter-in-place may end up feeling “extreme” and “anticlimactic” — and that’s the point.
“It’s really hard to feel like you’re saving the world when you’re watching Netflix from your couch. But if we do this right, nothing happens,” Landon said. “A successful shelter-in-place means you’re going to feel like it was all for nothing, and you’d be right: Because nothing means that nothing happened to your family. And that’s what we’re going for here.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter