• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Will there be another DCL WBPC? (or EBPC)

For the west coast, I don’t think it will be the pull of the ports but the pull of Disney that will get people on board. It’s opening to a new demographic that may have been unwilling to go to Florida to cruise.

For the west coast, I don’t think it will be the pull of the ports but the pull of Disney that will get people on board. It’s opening to a new demographic that may have been unwilling to go to Florida to cruise.
This is me. As a former east coaster now living in AZ, traveling to FL is not so convenient. I’ll be happy to continue cruising Disney via San Diego

Well, I don't think of San Diego and Mexico as cold. And having cruised the Caribbean during a huge freeze, that region can be darn cold. We did Vancouver, to Victoria, to San Francisco to Santa Barbara to Los Angeles in October 2019 on Celebrity and it was amazing. The Canadian ports did require jackets, but it was 73 degrees in San Francisco, and 85 in Santa Barbara and Los Angeles.
I think as far as cruises on Disney, I think the shorter cruises are more profitable for them given their passenger preferences.

Obviously there's a strong element of personal preference there. Where I live, winter is cold (temperatures below -20F were common at the ski hill this past winter, even before taking wind into account), and long (there's still some snow today in my back yard). When I take a warm-weather vacation in winter, I want it to be hot, not just "pleasantly warm on the nice days".

So for me, a west-coast cruise in winter wouldn't appeal. But of course lots of people prefer more moderate temperatures, or maybe if you live in a warmer weather climate, the temperature isn't such a big priority for your vacation. To each his own.

Obviously there's a strong element of personal preference there. Where I live, winter is cold (temperatures below -20F were common at the ski hill this past winter, even before taking wind into account), and long (there's still some snow today in my back yard). When I take a warm-weather vacation in winter, I want it to be hot, not just "pleasantly warm on the nice days".

So for me, a west-coast cruise in winter wouldn't appeal. But of course lots of people prefer more moderate temperatures, or maybe if you live in a warmer weather climate, the temperature isn't such a big priority for your vacation. To each his own.
I consider 80's and 90's in winter to be nice weather, which cruises to Mexico from San Diego offer. That's 100 to 110 degrees warmer than where you are.

I consider 80's and 90's in winter to be nice weather, which cruises to Mexico from San Diego offer. That's 100 to 110 degrees warmer than where you are.

Again, to each their own.

I've been to California in the winter, more than once, including coming off the WBPC in March 2020, so I do have some first-hand experience of the weather at that time of year. For me: not consistently warm enough, especially on the water.

Of course California is a good bit warmer than Ontario in the winter. But given the choice of cruise destinations, I'd go to the Caribbean instead. Florida and the Bahamas can be a little iffy, but further south the weather is pretty reliable, even in winter.

Again, to each their own.

I've been to California in the winter, more than once, including coming off the WBPC in March 2020, so I do have some first-hand experience of the weather at that time of year. For me: not consistently warm enough, especially on the water.

Of course California is a good bit warmer than Ontario in the winter. But given the choice of cruise destinations, I'd go to the Caribbean instead. Florida and the Bahamas can be a little iffy, but further south the weather is pretty reliable, even in winter.
Yes the cruise starts in San Diego, but the ports are in very warm areas of Mexico. Yes, to each is own, but I think there will be plenty of passengers for Disney to join this route.

Yes the cruise starts in San Diego, but the ports are in very warm areas of Mexico. Yes, to each is own, but I think there will be plenty of passengers for Disney to join this route.
I guess we'll find out. 🙂

There aren't a lot of cruise ships that operate that route, so I'd guess it's not a huge seller in general. But DCL can be a different animal, and I do agree with a PP that combining Disneyland with the shorter Mexico routes could be popular. Time will tell.

Well, I don't think of San Diego and Mexico as cold. And having cruised the Caribbean during a huge freeze, that region can be darn cold. We did Vancouver, to Victoria, to San Francisco to Santa Barbara to Los Angeles in October 2019 on Celebrity and it was amazing. The Canadian ports did require jackets, but it was 73 degrees in San Francisco, and 85 in Santa Barbara and Los Angeles.
I think as far as cruises on Disney, I think the shorter cruises are more profitable for them given their passenger preferences.
On land they are not. But once out on the water, it gets cold. When you get to ports, it is warm. Our first Mexican Riviera had a clue -- the Castaway Club gift was a blanket!

I guess we'll find out. 🙂

There aren't a lot of cruise ships that operate that route, so I'd guess it's not a huge seller in general. But DCL can be a different animal, and I do agree with a PP that combining Disneyland with the shorter Mexico routes could be popular. Time will tell.
Seem to be a number of ships that run out of San Diego south. And remember, Princess has been running that route for decades, as was featured on the Love Boat TV series. https://cs.cruise.com/cs/forms/Crui...n=&token=&months=3&did=9&pid=9724&nr=y&mon=-1

On our recent WBPC there was a lot of chatter that it would be DCL's last. Including some CM's
Despite me thinking at the beginning it was too long, I now consider it to be our best cruise ever, maybe our best vacation ever.
And I already miss it... a lot. I would insta-book another one if DCL does that itinerary again.
But I heard on the ship that it costs ~$500k to cross the canal.. someone here posted it was more like $800K (!)
So I can understand why they'd be hesitant to retain that sailing on a regular basis.

What do you think?
Will DCL do Panama Canal cruises again?

I really hope so. I can't fathom not being able to ever go on that cruise again.
We were on this cruise too. It was amazing and incredible! I would instant book another Panama Canal cruise if they had them again. Loved the 14 nights! Really had time to settle in and read, sit by the pool AND do all the activities that we wanted to do.

I really hope that there are more in the future. I really think that part of the "amazingness" was the lack of people on board too.

We are looking at perhaps a transatlantic now because 7 days just isn't enough!

I was thinking earlier that Disney is likely to continue their dry dock refurbishments on the other side of the Canal... so they may just throw one in before and after a dry dock. Unless its just an under-the-hood-oil-change situation, I'd want the one after, to see what's new.

We were on the 2020 WBPC and really hoped to do it again sometime under normal conditions, so I also hope the PC crossings are not gone for good.

I suppose it will depend on how west-coast bookings go?

I know this won't be popular with west-coasters, but I feel like they will struggle to fill west-coast sailings year round. There's just not that many places to go that can be done inside 7 days during the cooler months. And most families can't wait swing vacations longer than a week.

But DCL knows better than I do what they can profitability sell, so I guess we'll see. It looks like they will focus mostly on short cruises to Cabo in the winter. Maybe there's a big local demand for that?

I just don't see how a prolonged docking of a ship on San Diego is sustainable. The ports just aren't that exciting compared to the Caribbean.

Fantasy does mostly the same two routes ad nauseum year round, and the Bahamas itineraries saving grace is CC. I absolutely think the lack of variety isn't the killing factor for west coast cruises. Maybe its because its easy and cheap to get to Mexico from here? Maybe its only one country with a few stops so it doesn't feel exotic enough a difference? As it gets more difficult to move between ports the attractiveness goes up. My husband and I are literally the only ones in our friend, work, and extended family group that cruise. It may be public perception of cruising over here isn't as positive as the east coast. Or I just know a terrible sample of folk in that regard! Our winters also tend to be fairly mild all the way into BC - not as many people run away from the snow as run to it on the mountains to enjoy winter sports.

I was thinking earlier that Disney is likely to continue their dry dock refurbishments on the other side of the Canal... so they may just throw one in before and after a dry dock. Unless its just an under-the-hood-oil-change situation, I'd want the one after, to see what's new.
It had a drydock in Vancouver in 2019...

Fantasy does mostly the same two routes ad nauseum year round, and the Bahamas itineraries saving grace is CC. I absolutely think the lack of variety isn't the killing factor for west coast cruises. Maybe its because its easy and cheap to get to Mexico from here? Maybe its only one country with a few stops so it doesn't feel exotic enough a difference? As it gets more difficult to move between ports the attractiveness goes up. My husband and I are literally the only ones in our friend, work, and extended family group that cruise. It may be public perception of cruising over here isn't as positive as the east coast. Or I just know a terrible sample of folk in that regard! Our winters also tend to be fairly mild all the way into BC - not as many people run away from the snow as run to it on the mountains to enjoy winter sports.
I don't think the itineraries are the draw for most, being on a DISNEY ship is all it takes.

We were on this cruise too. It was amazing and incredible! I would instant book another Panama Canal cruise if they had them again. Loved the 14 nights! Really had time to settle in and read, sit by the pool AND do all the activities that we wanted to do.

I really hope that there are more in the future. I really think that part of the "amazingness" was the lack of people on board too.

We are looking at perhaps a transatlantic now because 7 days just isn't enough!

Right? What an amazing cruise.
I think another reason why it was so great was the low number of passengers. What was it, 1600 of us? Plenty of space around the family pool, hot tubs available almost on demand, it felt so spacious everywhere.
And if Disney decides to bring them back, I don't think we'll ever experience such low numbers again.
So I will cherish the memories of that cruise, but it hurts, it hurts to think it may have been the last one.

My bet is on more Hawaii for the Aulani tie-in.
I wish they had round trips from the West coast vs doing the 1 ways for the Aulani tie in. We live on the East coast and it's a haul to get to Hawaii... haven't gotten ourselves there yet. So hard when Florida is a 3 hr non-stop flight and California 6-7hrs, or more depending upon connections.

Right? What an amazing cruise.
I think another reason why it was so great was the low number of passengers. What was it, 1600 of us? Plenty of space around the family pool, hot tubs available almost on demand, it felt so spacious everywhere.
And if Disney decides to bring them back, I don't think we'll ever experience such low numbers again.
So I will cherish the memories of that cruise, but it hurts, it hurts to think it may have been the last one.
I believe there was only 1100 on board!! It was amazing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter