Will someone share info about the Alaska trip, please

Bete

DIS Veteran
I would love to hear from those who have tried this trip.

I've been to Alaska once in 2005. We went on a pretty reasonable cruise and we didn't go inland too much except for the tours we took on our own. We want to take a better trip in 2011 and go to Denali and other places. I would love to have a Disney guide available, etc. but I just don't know if it's worth the upcharge. Are the tours that much better with Disney at your side? As an example, do you see a lot of whales, bears, and eagles with Disney at your side? How about glaciers and fjords? Does Disney just hand you off to others for the tours? Are there air trips on the tours? Do you pay for extras like certain tours, meals, etc? Afterall, it's the US; so, I don't quite know if you get as much value using Disney as you would with other trips. I don't mind paying more if I get more in return.

Please share your experiences.

I think 2009 is the first time Disney has offered this trip with ABD, it wasn't an ABD trip last year...

As Poppins said, Alaska is new this year. However, from other ABDs, I can tell you that you will not be "handed off." They do employ local guides to supplement the Disney guides, but the Disney guides never leave you and the local guides are screened very carefully. They actually have to "audition" with test groups. You may not see more per se, but you will see what you see in a more magical way. You will not be part of a herd at any time, and you will not wait in lines. There will be special surprises and lots of extras.

The meals that you must pay for will be clearly spelled out in the trip info on ABD's website. We found that even then, we weren't "on our own." The guides had suggestions and advice, and came and checked on us while we were eating.

You will be totally taken care of on an ABD.

I have to second everything that kristilew said. I was sorely tempted to take the Alaska trip, but I was just there 2 years ago, so I may wait another year or two. I went on a FABULOUS cruise tour, and I must say, the Disney tour has a lot of things on it that I didn't do, and also includes a lot of my favorites. It looks like a really great itinerary, and I really don't think you'll be sorry with the choice!

Disney takes such good care of you. The local guides just enhance the experience; the ABD guides are always with you, and really know how to make things great.

Sayhello

This is the trip I have my eye on! Not for 2009 -- but I'm hoping & praying it returns for the summer of 2010.

What an amazing itinerary Disney has put together here.

I hope a lot of people go this summer and return with great trip reports! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter