• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Will my child with autism be embarrassed to use a DAS?

Sorry, but that is very offensive. These children are not "breaking a promise" - that would suggest that they can consciously stop themselves from behaving certain ways. They can't.

They aren't "forgetting" that they want to fit in - they are doing their best in the situation.

Your suggestion "you may tell him that he is not behaving like other kids" suggests using the DAS as a punishment - the exact opposite of what the OP needs.
Note: You should not ask him to make a promise at any time, although he may "make a promise" using freedom of speech. If he "broke the promise" you should not call attention to his having "made a promise" at some (to him distant) time in the past but rather you should consider only the immediate evolving situation when trying to decide what to do. Included in your choice of succeeding steps might be asking him where he wants to go next say five feet at a time but not running into other people. And, are you skilled at squatting down and whispering in his ear?

"Forgetting that he he wants to fit in" is something that "I thinks to meself observing him," not what he is actually doing.

I don't have enough experience with the subject so I'll take your word for now that it is not desirable to "overtly tell him he is not behaving like others." It'll take me some time to come up with another suggestion.

seashoreCM, I think that what you're missing is the big picture of an autistic child. When an autistic child is not coping with their surroundings and/or is melting down then that has absolutely nothing to do with behaviour or choice. Having coping strategies can help mitigate the problem but discussing behaviour is actually counter-productive because it makes it sound as though the child is choosing his response to a world in which something like sound can literally cause physical pain. Is it a behaviour problem if a child freaks out when on fire? Of course not. Some of the sensory inputs are just like that to an autistic child. No, that's not an exaggeration. Not all issues are that extreme but some can actually be even stronger.

I would NEVER accept a promise regarding behaviour from an autistic child unless the promise is to try something and even then we'd have a plan for how to approach it. No parent of an autistic child would let their child be in that position to be promising something as vague and unqualifiable as "good behaviour", especially in an unbelievably difficult place like WDW. An agreement on SPECIFIC expected behaviours, yes. A vague promise like that, no.

The problem many parents face is that sometimes their child forgets he wants to fit in and be like other kids (read: has a meltdown). So you should at least get the DAS to keep in your pocket in case needed. You may tell him that he is not behaving like other kids but you should not get upset if he promises at the beginning of the day to behave himself and he breaks that promise a little later.

Autistic kids do not have a meltdown because they forget that they want to fit in and be like other kids, they have a meltdown because there are stimuli that have become so overwhelming that they just cannot cope. It might be noise, light, people or something emotional but it is not a choice nor is just that they forget to behave.

This is a common belief that people who do not have any experience with autistic kids make, they see a child having a fit and assume that like a toddler throwing a tantrum, that it is something that the child chooses to do.

Note: You should not ask him to make a promise at any time, although he may "make a promise" using freedom of speech. If he "broke the promise" you should not call attention to his having "made a promise" at some (to him distant) time in the past but rather you should consider only the immediate evolving situation when trying to decide what to do. Included in your choice of succeeding steps might be asking him where he wants to go next say five feet at a time but not running into other people. And, are you skilled at squatting down and whispering in his ear?

"Forgetting that he he wants to fit in" is something that "I thinks to meself observing him," not what he is actually doing.

I don't have enough experience with the subject so I'll take your word for now that it is not desirable to "overtly tell him he is not behaving like others." It'll take me some time to come up with another suggestion.

I've read this a few times and I'm just not sure what you are saying here, not only are there so many phrases in quotations that it is hard to read but your train of thought is not one that I can follow.

Only you know your child and how they will react with having the card and utilizing it, I just wanted to share our experience. My DS is a adult without the cognitive ability to understand the DAS. He is very clearly handicapped so there is never a need (not even with GAC) for the CMs to inquire as to it's owner.

We have now used the DAS on multiple trips and more often than not when we return to a ride our experience has been: We had them the card with the filled out portion side showing (it folds) for them to check our entry, they then open the card to look at the photograph on the card, they then look up at our party to see who the photo matches up to and many times they will address my DS by name. He is mostly non-verbal so he doesn't normally respond but he does move forward to the scanner because "his name was called." Again he doesn't realize what we have and thinks nothing of his name being called - he thinks of Disney as his second home so no surprise people know his name. :)

There will be all kinds of experiences even with the same person on the same trip, just sharing so you have some preparation that when returning to rides the CM may acknowledge or address your DS in verifying the pass. Nothing negative, just making sure the pass holder is with the group and riding.

I found your post valuable - thank you for sharing. :).

Hi!! I'm an almost 19 year old with autism. I was almost 4 at the time I was diagnosed. Take off and landing were hard on me, but other than that, I was a trouper. I was really looking forward to it, though, and that may have been the key. I had the layouts of the parks emblazoned on her little brain, and had circled all the things I wanted to do. My sister talked about it all the time, too, so I was totally obsessed by the time we went. Used the GAC and my parents had to take me inside a store during the fireworks, but I was great.

My first trip was in 2003 and I was 7. Maybe you should get your son some maps and he and his siblings could choose what rides they want to go on. I have used the GAC on past trips and have had no problems

Our DD5 has an Autism diagnosis and at first glance she seems like very other kid. Last trip (2012) we got a GAC with the stroller as wheelchair stamp. The stroller stamp was the only thing we utilized as she refused any other rides. This year she SEEMS like she is going to want to ride but I think I am going to get the stroller as wheelchair thing and the DAS and try to wing it with FPs. That way I have it if she needs it and I don't have to go back to Guest Services. She doesn't know she is autistic and really has no idea that she is any different than any other kid, although we talk it about freely. That being said, I think you can just explain it as something to help him with waiting IF he's needs it. You can get it just to have it and you may not even need it but if you do have a problem you don't have to go back to Guest Services to get it if you are already in the middle of trying to thwart a meltdown or anxiety or whatever.

Sorry, but that is very offensive. These children are not "breaking a promise" - that would suggest that they can consciously stop themselves from behaving certain ways. They can't.

They aren't "forgetting" that they want to fit in - they are doing their best in the situation.

Your suggestion "you may tell him that he is not behaving like other kids" suggests using the DAS as a punishment - the exact opposite of what the OP needs.

Ugh. I agree that was not only offensive but also ignorant. And not helpful advice at all. After almost 4 years since DDs diagnosis I have grown a thick skin but I never get used to it. With the rate of diagnosis now at 1 in 68 it shocks me that there are people who don't even know what Autism is.

Hi!! I'm an almost 19 year old with autism. I was almost 4 at the time I was diagnosed. Take off and landing were hard on me, but other than that, I was a trouper. I was really looking forward to it, though, and that may have been the key. I had the layouts of the parks emblazoned on her little brain, and had circled all the things I wanted to do. My sister talked about it all the time, too, so I was totally obsessed by the time we went. Used the GAC and my parents had to take me inside a store during the fireworks, but I was great.

My first trip was in 2003 and I was 7. Maybe you should get your son some maps and he and his siblings could choose what rides they want to go on. I have used the GAC on past trips and have had no problems
Just wanted to clarify.....
the GAC ((Guest Assistance Card) program was discontinued and was replaced with the DAS (Disability Access Service).
If you want more information about DAS, there is a thread near the top of this board about DAS - one thread about WDW and one about Disneyland.

It's important to be aware that when using the DAS, the experience will be different then using Fastpass Plus. So, your child will know it is different.
You will need to show the DAS to the CM at the entrance to the attraction. That CM will look at the line where the Return Time is written down to make sure it is for the correct time and attraction. That CM will look at the picture and probably ask which one of you is xxxxx (the person the DAS was issued to).
The same thing will happen again at the point of the line where the second Fastpass Plus scanner is located.

Just wanted to point that out so people are aware. If you have more questions about how DAS works, there is a DAS thread about WDW and one about Disneyland near the top of this board.
The first post in each thread is a DAS FAQs.

Ugh. I agree that was not only offensive but also ignorant. And not helpful advice at all. After almost 4 years since DDs diagnosis I have grown a thick skin but I never get used to it. With the rate of diagnosis now at 1 in 68 it shocks me that there are people who don't even know what Autism is.
These video simulations really give a good picture of what Autism feels like.
The first is Carly's Cafe and was made by Carly Fleischman, a young woman who is severely affected by Autism.
http://youtu.be/KmDGvquzn2k

This one is walking down a busy street, first as a person without Autism, followed by how it might feel, look and sound to someone with Autism.
http://youtu.be/plPNhooUUuc

The last video shows the effects of sensory overload.
http://youtu.be/IcS2VUoe12M

Some people with Autism, like Carly, are non-verbal, but able to communicate with augmentative communication devices. Some, like Temple Grandin are able to speak. Those people are able to give a view about how the world looks to them to help others understand Autism.

My youngest DD does not have Autism, but she does have significant sensory issues and Obsesseive-Complulsive tendencies. She is physically disabled and is not able to walk.
She can't promise to not be affected by sensory input or her obsessive thoughts any more easily than she would be able to promise to walk.

Just wanted to clarify.....
the GAC ((Guest Assistance Card) program was discontinued and was replaced with the DAS (Disability Access Service).
If you want more information about DAS, there is a thread near the top of this board about DAS - one thread about WDW and one about Disneyland.

It's important to be aware that when using the DAS, the experience will be different then using Fastpass Plus. So, your child will know it is different.
You will need to show the DAS to the CM at the entrance to the attraction. That CM will look at the line where the Return Time is written down to make sure it is for the correct time and attraction. That CM will look at the picture and probably ask which one of you is xxxxx (the person the DAS was issued to).
The same thing will happen again at the point of the line where the second Fastpass Plus scanner is located.

Just wanted to point that out so people are aware. If you have more questions about how DAS works, there is a DAS thread about WDW and one about Disneyland near the top of this board.
The first post in each thread is a DAS FAQs.
I know how it works. It's just I wanted to share my experience.

I know how it works. It's just I wanted to share my experience.
That's cool.
I just wanted to make sure all the readers were aware that the program changed.
The "you" in "if you want more information about how DAS works" was not really aimed at you.
I probably should have clarified that I didn't mean you specifically.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter