Will I regret it?

wellesleyprincess

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone!

I'm currently booked in a cat 11A in March on the Dream for my first cruise. Should I look at upgrading to a 9? Will I regret not having at least a porthole this first time?

TIA

I've sailed in everything from a 5 to a 12. My observations...the shorter the cruise, the less time I spend in my cabin. Natural light is nice, but you'll have the "virtual porthole" on the Dream which should be a good compromise. When I've had a window, I didn't spend much time sitting in my cabin looking out the window. I won't turn one down if given as a pixie dust upgrade, but I don't need it to have a magical cruise.

Along the same vein, I've truly enjoyed a balcony when I've had one...but when I decide that it isn't worth the cost, I've been fine inside as well. There are lots of places I can be out in the ocean breezes. OK the privacy of the balcony is lovely...snacking and reading out there, etc. But especially when paying a single supplement, I don't find it worth the price.

We had an inside room on our first cruise and absolutely loved the cruise!

On the Dream, you'll have the virtual porthole so you can see what's going on outside anyway. You can also turn on the TV and turn it to the bridge channel for a view outside.

It's all a matter of cost. Some people don't care where they are on the ship, as long as they're on the ship. Others won't sail unless they have a balcony.

That's a personal choice.

I've sailed, inside, outside, and balcony. I've enjoyed all of them. The key factor in my enjoymnet of each cruise was being on the ship! :)

Insides help me sleep better with the total blackness. Outsides are a tease in my opinion. You can see what's going on out there, but you cannot experience it. And balconies are heaven - but heaven comes at great sacrifice!

Being healthy and mobile, I find it easy to run up the stairs and get out on deck if I need the fresh air and I am taking a limited funds vacation. Your vacation will not be ruined by your cabin selection. For all the concern and worry, you can enjoy your vacation from any section of the ship.

My recommendation: go with what your budget will allow and then just have a good time. Don't give your location or inside/outside status another thought and enjoy the activity that is available to all!

WE were upgraded our first cruise to a verandah. Well if Disney was trying to sell me on it, it backfired as we probably used it 20 min the whole cruise. It was a 3 night cruise and we went to Atlantis in Nassau, so there just was no time to enjoy the room. This time we booked an 11B on the Dream. I liked midship floor as we used the stairs alot... so only a few flights up or down to everything. The virtual porthole should give us some feel of day or night, but truly, I would never pay for a verandah unless it was just my husband and I(and that will never happen :rotfl:)

WE LOVE INSIDES. The kids can sleep in.
we were upgraded to a 2 small porthole cabin on one cruise. It was ok.
My husband finds the split baths to be a little tight for him.

We like the lay out of the inside with the queen bed a long the back.
I seriously considered booking a balcony for our Alaska cruise but it was $4200 more:eek:

We would rather cruise more often on an inside cabin. Plus, we don't spend a lot of time in the cabin. i would rather spend the extra money on some wonderful excursions.

Now, if I had the Walt Disney suite I may not leave the room.

The inside staterooms are fine. My kids want to see who shows up on the "virtual porthole" so we've book inside for our back 2 back cruises in September.

I loved our inside cabin. Great for sleeping and honestly you will not be in your cabin at all.
I was prepared for tight space but it was all good and well.ENJOY!!

I don't think you will regret. DH and I were torn with the new virtual portholes. I think it will make a first cruise.

I've sailed in everything from a 5 to a 12. My observations...the shorter the cruise, the less time I spend in my cabin. Natural light is nice, but you'll have the "virtual porthole" on the Dream which should be a good compromise. When I've had a window, I didn't spend much time sitting in my cabin looking out the window. I won't turn one down if given as a pixie dust upgrade, but I don't need it to have a magical cruise.

Along the same vein, I've truly enjoyed a balcony when I've had one...but when I decide that it isn't worth the cost, I've been fine inside as well. There are lots of places I can be out in the ocean breezes. OK the privacy of the balcony is lovely...snacking and reading out there, etc. But especially when paying a single supplement, I don't find it worth the price.

Very true!! we had a deluxe family state room with verdanah and we hardly were in the room, there is so much to do in the ship that it is amazing. I got it because I found it at a good last minute price.

Next year for the disney dream, we are inside, I dont' mind

We had an inside room on our first cruise and absolutely loved the cruise!

On the Dream, you'll have the virtual porthole so you can see what's going on outside anyway. You can also turn on the TV and turn it to the bridge channel for a view outside.

It's all a matter of cost. Some people don't care where they are on the ship, as long as they're on the ship. Others won't sail unless they have a balcony.

I can't wait to see the star fish on the virtual port hole, looks very neat. I decided to save the $220 difference for the gratuities! lol which are about $300

WE were upgraded our first cruise to a verandah. Well if Disney was trying to sell me on it, it backfired as we probably used it 20 min the whole cruise. It was a 3 night cruise and we went to Atlantis in Nassau, so there just was no time to enjoy the room. This time we booked an 11B on the Dream. I liked midship floor as we used the stairs alot... so only a few flights up or down to everything. The virtual porthole should give us some feel of day or night, but truly, I would never pay for a verandah unless it was just my husband and I(and that will never happen :rotfl:)

I agree and was thinking the same thing. we hardly used the room because there was so much offered on the ship :-) I can't wait for the disney dream

From what I'm hearing, from my TA anyway, is that people with inside staterooms on the Dream have been turning down upgrades just to keep the virtual portholes that will be in all of the inside staterooms. DCL will be using HD cameras to transmit live ocean images to the portholes so you will be seeing sea conditions as they are in real time with the added benefit of the animations (i.e. the Up house passing by) which is a bit of magic in and of itself.

Our family is very excited for the "Virtual Porthole". We like many others have had a variety of rooms and find the inside is just as good as any as we are never in our room.:banana:

From what I'm hearing, from my TA anyway, is that people with inside staterooms on the Dream have been turning down upgrades just to keep the virtual portholes that will be in all of the inside staterooms. DCL will be using HD cameras to transmit live ocean images to the portholes so you will be seeing sea conditions as they are in real time with the added benefit of the animations (i.e. the Up house passing by) which is a bit of magic in and of itself.

I was thinking the same exact thing! how cute it will be to see the annimations on the virtual porthole! I am definitely looking forward to that!

Our family is very excited for the "Virtual Porthole". We like many others have had a variety of rooms and find the inside is just as good as any as we are never in our room.:banana:

awesome to hear! I never stayed in an inside room ever in a cruise, and when I showed my husband the pics of an inside room on a different cruise line, he was very turned off by it.

Hey everyone!

I'm currently booked in a cat 11A in March on the Dream for my first cruise. Should I look at upgrading to a 9? Will I regret not having at least a porthole this first time?

TIA

The answer is so simple. How much time do you think you'll spend in your room? The ship is very rich in sights, areas to relax, places to see the ocean (try the lounge chairs outside the coffee shop-Cove Cafe-a quiet, beautiful place to relax). If you choose to spend a lot of time in your room, then a view would be wonderful. If not, the extra hundreds of dollars in your pocket are wonderful.

Funny, though becasue we are sailing with rccl next year, it was a bit cheaper than disney so we thought we would pay what we normally do and get an outside room, but after sleeping on it we decided that we would go with the inside room and the money we saved would pay the bar bill and all the extras, I guess its not important to us, everybodys differant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter