Will I lose my points if I cancel?

DisneyFirstTimer10

DIS Veteran
Can’t get through on the phone to ask so thought I should check with you all, the experts...

I borrowed my Dec 2020 points for a trip we were supposed to take this May which we moved to September of this year. Dec use year, so we have to use the points by Nov 2020. With all that’s going on, are we able to cancel and get the points put back in Dec 2020 or no since we already borrowed them?

As of today, they are returning borrowed points for all canceled trips. When that ends, we do not know,

So, if you are not going, cancel online and then send an email to ensure they will be moved,

It is supposed to be automatic within 15 days, but I sent the email anyway.

As of today, they are returning borrowed points for all canceled trips. When that ends, we do not know,

So, if you are not going, cancel online and then send an email to ensure they will be moved,

Exactly what we needed to know. Now to decide if we will cancel. We are trying to hold out and see if Food and Wine festival will be held.

If we cancel our late June reservation - due to the travel restrictions which Disney is saying means we are NOT allowed to enter WDW Resorts at this point as we would be coming from NY, will we be subject to having these points go into holding as we are now under 30 days? Is the penalty for cancelling within 30 days back in effect now or is it still being waived? I would really like to keep our reservation but am doubtful the EO will be lifted before the start of our reservation.

If we cancel our late June reservation - due to the travel restrictions which Disney is saying means we are NOT allowed to enter WDW Resorts at this point as we would be coming from NY, will we be subject to having these points go into holding as we are now under 30 days? Is the penalty for cancelling within 30 days back in effect now or is it still being waived? I would really like to keep our reservation but am doubtful the EO will be lifted before the start of our reservation.
I would call first thing in the AM at 9 EST. As far as I understand, no holding at this time. It’s on repeat in the recording when you’re on hold for MS. Yours is a special circumstance as well so, I’m sure they would work with you.

I was under the assumption that if you cancel a reservation after the resorts open they will not bank them. I read someone try and cancel their reservation between 6/22-7/10 because the parks will not be open and they told them they would not bank their points.

I looked all over the DVC member website for an answer to my own question about cancelling within 30 days and points going into holding account and couldn't find anything until I went to modify my reservation and found this at the bottom of the page:

Need to Cancel?
Cancellation restrictions have been lifted for reservations arriving within the next 30 days. Vacation Points returned due to a Resort reservation cancellation will not be placed in a holding account and will be returned to the current Use Year.

Opens a dialog:Cancel Reservation
If you made your reservation using cash, other guidelines may apply. Please contact Member Services.

I am in good shape regarding having until the end of July to back current year points as I have a December use year. Now to figure out if borrowed points will still be returned to the use year they were borrowed from.

After a 30 minute hold, I got some very positive news. I was told that the deadline for borrowed points to go back to their original use year on a cancelled reservation is extended for reservations through July 10th. Member Services said that it was based upon the Resorts & the Parks being reopened - as they understood "that many people might not want to keep their reservations with the parks closed". Also confirmed it was due to the EO regarding tri-state residents not having a definite end date. I was told that I could wait until the day before the reservation date to cancel and would not be penalized. (I do wish that I had this in writing.)

But I just realized that I forget to ask about the email that I received requesting that I confirm, modify or cancel the reservation within 6 days. That email appears to be from WDW and not DVC Member Services. Wonder what happens if I don't do anything at this point? Expect that I need to make another call to Member Services to find out.

After a 30 minute hold, I got some very positive news. I was told that the deadline for borrowed points to go back to their original use year on a cancelled reservation is extended for reservations through July 10th. Member Services said that it was based upon the Resorts & the Parks being reopened - as they understood "that many people might not want to keep their reservations with the parks closed". Also confirmed it was due to the EO regarding tri-state residents not having a definite end date. I was told that I could wait until the day before the reservation date to cancel and would not be penalized. (I do wish that I had this in writing.)

But I just realized that I forget to ask about the email that I received requesting that I confirm, modify or cancel the reservation within 6 days. That email appears to be from WDW and not DVC Member Services. Wonder what happens if I don't do anything at this point? Expect that I need to make another call to Member Services to find out.

I got that email too and I confirmed and it just shows now I have a DVC room.

I could still cancel it via website. Honestly, I think it was a blanket email to all guests.

I'm in a similar boat (coming from NY), though my trip is for August 3 - 8th. It was a big one for us (2-bedroom BWV) and we had used all of this year's points and borrowed all but 1 of our points from next year.

Just got off the phone with DVC and they were incredibly accommodating. The rep I spoke to said that the normal holding policy is suspended, and no matter when we cancel our reservation -- even up until the day before -- our borrowed points would return to next year and we'd still be able to bank this year's points. I am a December use year, so technically the banking deadline is July 31, right before our trip, but the rep said they are being as flexible and lenient as possible, and would likely even allow banking after the deadline.

She did confirm that the current suspension of the normal cancellation policy could end at some point, but she expects it will likely be in place through the end of the calendar year. (This is NOT official, just the impression they have, but it seems there's little benefit to all of a sudden drop the policy, especially given that the resorts will be operating at limited capacity this year, so they probably WANT some 2020 cancellations.)

Bottom line, at least from my conversation, it seems like they are being extremely understanding and flexible with cancellations and not losing your points.

I'm in a similar boat (coming from NY), though my trip is for August 3 - 8th. It was a big one for us (2-bedroom BWV) and we had used all of this year's points and borrowed all but 1 of our points from next year.

Just got off the phone with DVC and they were incredibly accommodating. The rep I spoke to said that the normal holding policy is suspended, and no matter when we cancel our reservation -- even up until the day before -- our borrowed points would return to next year and we'd still be able to bank this year's points. I am a December use year, so technically the banking deadline is July 31, right before our trip, but the rep said they are being as flexible and lenient as possible, and would likely even allow banking after the deadline.

She did confirm that the current suspension of the normal cancellation policy could end at some point, but she expects it will likely be in place through the end of the calendar year. (This is NOT official, just the impression they have, but it seems there's little benefit to all of a sudden drop the policy, especially given that the resorts will be operating at limited capacity this year, so they probably WANT some 2020 cancellations.)

Bottom line, at least from my conversation, it seems like they are being extremely understanding and flexible with cancellations and not losing your points.

I would not expect the late banking as they have been really strict on that if the trip is during an open time. I had 15 points that were in a trip that started during the closure.

I moved things around and didn’t need them. They checked my account and said since I had done some changing and those points were not last used on the closed day, I cannot bank them.

So, honestly, if you are current UY points, I would make the decision before the deadline. Returning borrowed points and waiving holding have been consistent.

Well in my case I certainly plan to make my decision by July 31st... just relaying what I was told. I also think if you're doing anything outside the normal operating procedures (cancelling within 30 days, cancelling borrowed points, etc.) you should absolutely call and have a rep do it over the phone instead of doing it online and hoping things work out as they say they will. The reps are almost certainly better equipped to work things out for you than the website.

We have a trip in early Nov, with some borrowed points and some this years points. We are so unsure what to do. If we knew in Nov, they won't have shows, fireworks, normal hours, etc, we would cancel now.

The returning of borrowed points for all cancelled trips doesn't seem to apply to March use years. We cancelled 2 reservations, both using points borrowed from 2021 use year. They would not allow unborrowing of the points. Spoke with 2 MS reps separately within the last couple of days. Both said the same thing.

The returning of borrowed points for all cancelled trips doesn't seem to apply to March use years. We cancelled 2 reservations, both using points borrowed from 2021 use year. They would not allow unborrowing of the points. Spoke with 2 MS reps separately within the last couple of days. Both said the same thing.
Edit to add: It was MS that cancelled both reservations that were during the closed period.

Edit to add: It was MS that cancelled both reservations that were during the closed period.

Id call back or email, I have not heard of anyone not getting points returned. I even had Dec 2020 UY points returned to 2021 UY from an adjustment from a March 2021 trip.

Never called and they were moved...wasn’t expecting them to either.

Id call back or email, I have not heard of anyone not getting points returned. I even had Dec 2020 UY points returned to 2021 UY from an adjustment from a March 2021 trip.

Never called and they were moved...wasn’t expecting them to either.
3rd time's the charm, obviously. This time the MS rep unborrowed the points for us while waiting on line. Thanks for your help!

We have a trip in early Nov, with some borrowed points and some this years points. We are so unsure what to do. If we knew in Nov, they won't have shows, fireworks, normal hours, etc, we would cancel now.
Same! Ugh. We have a Dec UY and we borrowed points from 2020 for our Nov stay. I have until July 31 to decide, but it's making me crazy. And I'm honestly not even all that sure about a 2021 trip at this point because our cruise was cancelled and we moved that forward to next year and we already had another cruise booked that I really wanted to take. I'm not sure how many vacations we can cram into next year if we bank forward. Our plan was WDW every other year when we purchased our contract (that we've never used and Nov is supposed to be our welcome home trip). Sigh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter