• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Will GM or Chrysler going under affect you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And as we've said on many threads on these boards, many of those Hondas and Toyotas are made right here in the states. And the parts are made here as well.

But the profits don't stay here.

Foreign companies are *renting* space in America. We are already too dependent on foreign companies; America as we know it is quickly fading away...

In this GLOBAL economy, they can shut down these companies in a heartbeat without blinking an eye. Their allegiance is to their country, not America. Unlike the big 3 who have vested interests here.

Don't think it can happen? Lets think for a second: I bet people during WWII never DREAMED any of those atrocities would happen. Did any of us ever think 9/11 would happen?

This IS a global society and we LIVE IN AMERICA.

BUY AMERICAN or bye-bye America!!!!

I can only speak for myself, but I will remain a loyal Toyota customer unless they give me reason to rethink that. I don't link my own personal patriotism to "driving or buying" American.

Um, well here's just a tiny reason: You live in AMERICA!

:confused3 wow, just wow. :idea:

Raising my hand here-- First, we had a Chrysler mini van that was a piece of junk. Literally, we donated it to charity because it had no trade in value (and it was under 7 years old)

However, DVC Girl, I guess you haven't met any of the 1000s of Honda Odyssey owners who have had transmissions problems. There was a big lawsuit that Honday settled and another one is getting ready to be filed.

Perception is reality especially when it comes to car quality issues. Imagine our surprise when we started having transmission problems and found tons of information about how common this was.

I have met a few people with Odyssey transmissions problems and I have had some with my Ford. The difference is Honda did what was right, they fixed the probelm when it was out of warranty, no lawsuit needed. Ford told me too bad so sad. My next car definitely won't be a Ford, thats for sure.

And they shouldn't stay here, just like an American company's profit doesn't stay in another country that they operate in.
I have no problem buying foreign made cars, besides the quality and service being better IMO, they hire American workers and by owning space here, they help with the tax burden.

My DH works for GM as a salaried, non-uaw worker. He has no pension, no union benefits, no union protection etc... If GM goes into bankruptcy and he is let go there will be no severence, no insurance, no paid vacation, no nothing!!!

I am weary of all the Big 3 bashing. I just don't think you can change people's minds. Unless you walk a mile in our shoes you have no idea what it has been like in SE Michigan.

As for trickle down here's one brought to my attention recently by someone who works for the largest hospital in Detroit. They rely on people with insurance (meaning UAW workers, Big 3 salaried workers and related industries) to use their hospital so they can continue to subsidize care for the huge population of poor, homeless and unemployed folks in the Detroit area. If they continue to lose insured hospital customers they will cut care to the needy. Yet another example of trickle down.

Very sad, very worried, very stressful and very, very tired of those who don't think buying American matters!
:sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::

Very sad, very worried, very stressful and very, very tired of those who don't think buying American matters!
:sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::

I'm tired of those who try to make people feel guilty for not buying American. I have family and friends that work for Nissan, buying from Nissan helps supports them. They get a paycheck and are able to spend it at American owned businesses, they have health insurance and that benefits local hospitals.
Nobody is denying that buying American helps Americans but there are plenty who believe buying foreign does not.

I'm tired of those who try to make people feel guilty for not buying American. I have family and friends that work for Nissan, buying from Nissan helps supports them. They get a paycheck and are able to spend it at American owned businesses, they have health insurance and that benefits local hospitals.
Nobody is denying that buying American helps Americans but there are plenty who believe buying foreign does not.

It's a matter of scale. If Nissan disappears, it's bad for a fairly finite amount of people. It's terrible, but it's not like the Titanic going down and sucking us all with it.

If Chrysler and GM go, there are a quarter of a million jobs gone OVERNIGHT, then another 2 million supply & other support jobs gone within a matter of months, and then all the teachers, nurses, sub shops etc. that depend on the income from those millions of jobs.

It's a matter of scale. If Nissan disappears, it's bad for a fairly finite amount of people. It's terrible, but it's not like the Titanic going down and sucking us all with it.

If Chrysler and GM go, there are a quarter of a million jobs gone OVERNIGHT, then another 2 million supply & other support jobs gone within a matter of months, and then all the teachers, nurses, sub shops etc. that depend on the income from those millions of jobs.
This needs repeating!

The demise of Chrysler and GM would be their own doing, I am sorry for those people who would lose their jobs but I wouldn't be sorry to see failing companies eventually fail, that is the nature of Capitalism.

It won't affect us at all but I do feel bad for the people that will be affected and all the trickle affect it will have with paint, parts, suppliers, dealerships and lost pensions.

Hey, we're trying to help!

We bought a brand-new PT Cruiser in January and I plan to buy another one soon. Only I want a convertible so it will have to be used.

I have no worries buying from Chrysler and we hoped our purchase would help at least one family.

Hmm.... I never tried to make you feel guilty, just explain where my family is at. Makes me wonder......

:rolleyes1

Hmm.... I never tried to make you feel guilty, just explain where my family is at. Makes me wonder......

:rolleyes1

I never said YOU were, just stating that I was tired of those who do. You know kind of like how you stated that you were tired of those who don't think buying American matters.

Makes you wonder about what? I have plenty of American products in my home and plenty of foreign including a beautiful Honda sitting next to my Ford ;) I don't feel guilty about buying anything not made in America, especially if its better and less expensive :thumbsup2

My DH works as a project manager for a tile company in suburban Detroit. He's been laid off on and off for a few years now. The company he works for is 82 years old - it's weathered lots of downturns and lots of recessions, but they are now entering their third year of operating in the red. They've branched out and tried to corner new markets, but it's been a tough road. We've definitely been affected here and are barely keeping afloat right now.

I graduate from nursing school in Dec. All of the hospitals in the area have been cutting back and jobs for RN's aren't nearly as plentiful as they were a couple years ago. If the auto companies go under, the majority of our residents in this area will have NO insurance - the hospitals will be really hurting at that point.

We would move, but the house we bought 13 years ago and spent thousands of dollars renovating is worth tens of thousands less than what we bought it for. I know we couldn't get out from under it to move out of state. Not to mention, the rest of the country (whether people want to admit it or not) is going to be drastically affected if the Big 3 go under - there won't be jobs to be had elsewhere, either.

It's not good at all.

Makes you wonder about what? I have plenty of American products in my home and plenty of foreign including a beautiful Honda sitting next to my Ford ;) I don't feel guilty about buying anything not made in America, especially if its better and less expensive :thumbsup2

In all seriousness I am glad you have a Ford product as well as your Honda. :)

You hit the exact point... your Honda costs less BECAUSE the foreign govts subsidize the health care costs of workers... US does not and leaves it all to GM, Ford and Crysler to pony up. Sort of all falls back to the dysfunctional healthcare system we have in our country.

I truely hope the Big 3 and our govt. can use this crisis to restructure and fix what is wrong with how they operate and I hope the cost of jobs will not be too great... including the one that supports my family.
:goodvibes

In all seriousness I am glad you have a Ford product as well as your Honda. :)

You hit the exact point... your Honda costs less BECAUSE the foreign govts subsidize the health care costs of workers... US does not and leaves it all to GM, Ford and Crysler to pony up. Sort of all falls back to the dysfunctional healthcare system we have in our country.

I truely hope the Big 3 and our govt. can use this crisis to restructure and fix what is wrong with how they operate and I hope the cost of jobs will not be too great... including the one that supports my family.
:goodvibes

The foreign government does not subsidize the health care costs of US workers (see my previous post). The problem is the cost of all the UAW and non-UAW retiree payments. They are out of line compared to other industries.

There is so much misinformation in the media right now. Anyone who thinks that GM quality lags behind the foriegns needs to read JD Power and other reliability surveys. GM is a leader in quality. GM products are also some of the most cutting edge styles around. Anyone one see the new Camaro? Check it out. Read the reviews from Motor Trend and Car and Driver.

Joybeth[/QUOTE
]

I personally do not care what JD Power or the media says. I listen to my neighbors, friends, and family. The word is still out that GM, Chrysler and Ford do not match on quality of a Honda, Toyota, etc. Sorry if you don't like it, but I am not alone in my thinking. The big 3 should have thought of that a long time ago. In this area you do not see many old nor new Camaros around. Why try to reinvent a car people that was so cool in 1985?? Hello it is 2009!

I just do not feel guilty buying a Honda that was made in OHIO or a Toyota that was made in KY.

Please do not get me wrong I do feel bad for those losing thier jobs. It stinks and I am sure it will affect us somehow, just like all the banks going under affected us.

My neighbors say I slept with a family friend, but it doesn't make it true. My mom thinks green tea will cure cancer, but I'll still listen to my doctor. And my friends think I have a Disney problem, but I don't put too much water in that, either.

This entire subject if freaking me out. We don't work for or in the auto industry, but if they go under...we'll never escape this house. I feel like I have to hurry and pack up everything, get the house sold and get out of here before the entire state goes under. :eek:

Its too late. Our house, which we bought for 128K was the cheapest house in Livonia in 2004. Today its worth 108. We owe 118. Screwed, we are :yoda:

Anyone who thinks what we are dealing with here in Michigan is similar to what is going on in the rest of the country is just doesn't get it. Everyone I know either works in automotive or relies on automotive workers for customers. If GM goes under, we might as well be hit by a sunami, it will be like a massive disaster. Everyone, from doctors who won't get paid by patients without health insurance, to ballet instructors whose students parents won't have jobs, will be affected.

Chrysler will go, GM won't and the other automakers will pick up market share. But sure, some of these jobs are not coming back. It's already happening......

Foreign companies are *renting* space in America. We are already too dependent on foreign companies; America as we know it is quickly fading away...

In this GLOBAL economy, they can shut down these companies in a heartbeat without blinking an eye. Their allegiance is to their country, not America. Unlike the big 3 who have vested interests here.

Don't think it can happen? Lets think for a second: I bet people during WWII never DREAMED any of those atrocities would happen. Did any of us ever think 9/11 would happen?

This IS a global society and we LIVE IN AMERICA.

BUY AMERICAN or bye-bye America!!!!

Um, well here's just a tiny reason: You live in AMERICA!

:confused3 wow, just wow. :idea:

Go take a look around your house....at all of the things in it, at all labels on the items you're wearing right now.... and tell me how much of it was made in America. Your appliances, your sneakers, your furniture....take a good look. I'm betting that most of it, a very high percentage in fact, was not made in the good old U.S of A.

I don't work for the auto makers but my dad did for 35 years at GM.

I work for a big box retailer. Tomorrow I have to go to a meeting to find out if I still have a job.

If you don't think the automakers affect you, you are living in Fantasyland.

Its too late. Our house, which we bought for 128K was the cheapest house in Livonia in 2004. Today its worth 108. We owe 118. Screwed, we are :yoda:

Anyone who thinks what we are dealing with here in Michigan is similar to what is going on in the rest of the country is just doesn't get it. Everyone I know either works in automotive or relies on automotive workers for customers. If GM goes under, we might as well be hit by a sunami, it will be like a massive disaster. Everyone, from doctors who won't get paid by patients without health insurance, to ballet instructors whose students parents won't have jobs, will be affected.

Very true! You could close 1/2 the grocery stores, 2/3 the restaurants, 2/3 other small businesses and that would only be the beginning...

To say Oklahoma Dust bowl furniture packed on the trucks leaving town image might NOT be so far out of line for Michigan if the big 3 failed. :scared1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter