Will Disney parks have a grand reopening for guests to celebrate?

old lady

DIS Veteran
Are the parks planning a grand reopening and telling park goers they will see them real soon?

I don’t see them having a big reopening party because that could be seen as insensitive. Perhaps they will do more special things in the run up to the 50th instead. I think they will want to wait and see what the travel market and public mood are like before they start celebrating.

I don’t see them having a big reopening party because that could be seen as insensitive. Perhaps they will do more special things in the run up to the 50th instead. I think they will want to wait and see what the travel market and public mood are like before they start celebrating.

I agree with this. A grand re-opening would be very tone-deaf given how devastating this virus is/will continue to be for some time. I'm thinking we'll see a quiet, low-key opening and saving the big celebrations for their 50th.

Are the parks planning a grand reopening and telling park goers they will see them real soon?

IMO they should have a grand opening party on 10/1/21

Not saying they wont be open before then but that should be THE grand 100% re-opening celebration day.

IMO they should have a grand opening party on 10/1/21

Not saying they wont be open before then but that should be THE grand 100% re-opening celebration day.

No, if there's anything that day it would be to celebrate the 50th Anniversary. Any grand reopening celebration beyond a small little wink or nod on the first day would be in incredibly poor taste.

If they do anything, I hope it's a moment of silence to honor those who have died and been harmed during the pandemic. However, I think it best that they just not do anything and do a normal low key opening day.

Have you seen The Imagineering Story? When the park opened for the first time in weeks/months after the earth quake it was a huge celebration and guests were in tears they were so happy to be back in. This is no more or no less a tragedy than what happened there and I don't think it would be insensitive. It would need to be after there was a threat of spreading though, which I just don't see them reopening until the threat it temporary gone completely anyway.

Have you seen The Imagineering Story? When the park opened for the first time in weeks/months after the earth quake it was a huge celebration and guests were in tears they were so happy to be back in. This is no more or no less a tragedy than what happened there and I don't think it would be insensitive. It would need to be after there was a threat of spreading though, which I just don't see them reopening until the threat it temporary gone completely anyway.

Covid-19 will be floating around a bit. Things in general will slowly open up around the country at different timeframes.

This is different than an earthquake, hurricane, or tornado. They come, do their destruction and cause deaths over a relatively short period of time. Yes people are impacted for a longer period of time than the initial destruction, but the initial disaster is over.

Covid-19 is different as it can linger for months and months and popping up where ever.

It will probably be a gradual reopening. I.E. opening up the Magic Kingdom. Some of the hotels at each price point and Disney Springs. Some of the hotels or at least a portion will probably be the last to fully reopen.

It will be interesting how this impacts the EPCOT Center Future World rebuild. How long as it taken to get Animal Kingdom to reach something close to its original intention due to budget considerations.

For those of you that do not like the Skyliner, this event probably put any plans for future expansion on the far back burner.

Covid-19 will be floating around a bit. Things in general will slowly open up around the country at different timeframes.

This is different than an earthquake, hurricane, or tornado. They come, do their destruction and cause deaths over a relatively short period of time. Yes people are impacted for a longer period of time than the initial destruction, but the initial disaster is over.

Covid-19 is different as it can linger for months and months and popping up where ever.

It will probably be a gradual reopening. I.E. opening up the Magic Kingdom. Some of the hotels at each price point and Disney Springs. Some of the hotels or at least a portion will probably be the last to fully reopen.

It will be interesting how this impacts the EPCOT Center Future World rebuild. How long as it taken to get Animal Kingdom to reach something close to its original intention due to budget considerations.

For those of you that do not like the Skyliner, this event probably put any plans for future expansion on the far back burner.

It’s different in terms of implementation and procedures. It’s not different in terms of being insensitive by “celebrating” in whatever way they may or may not do. When they open their gates the crowds will cheer and be in tears. It will be a celebration whether there is something official or not.

I don't see anything wrong with Disney having some sort of ceremony / celebration to acknowledge both the suffering/pain that has occurred and the hope of being able to move forward. A sort of "we've missed you, and we're glad you're back!"

Perhaps a special ceremony in front of the MK castle with a few Bobs or Josh...giving short speeches along with some musical performances that express that sensitivity and hope. Maybe a special castle lighting.

In my mind, it would be weird if they opened after such a long closure and didn't acknowledge what had happened in some sort of official way.

If they do a grand re-opening celebration that would draw crowds it would have to be after the threat of COVID19 has passed. That won’t really happen until most people are immune. For most people to be immune that means most people already had it, or a vaccine is readily available. That looks to be over a year away. I hope Disney World is open in some form before then.

With the 50th coming up next year I just don't see a point for a grand re-opening this year. They can wrap it all up into one celebration in 2021.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter