Wild Africa Trek - scared of heights!

snitchseeker

Disney & Universal Wizard
So - I signed up and I'm going ah! But I'm scared of heights. The bridge has holes on the side and lord. Can I bypass only this?! The hippo thing looks cool but what if I chicken out at the bridge?! Help! :(

Also any tips? Do I need a camera strap? Where can I find one?!?!

Thanks! :)

You will be securely held in by your harness while on the rope bridges. There are no holes. They are "Disney holes". The whole rope bridge is surrounded by strong netting. You cannot fall through even if you wanted to or tried to.

As far as the hippo observation area, you will be on a very safe area and you only have to go out to the edge if you want to (and you WILL want to). In that area you are again safely tethered by your harness to an overhead cable. I am not very fond of heights either, but this is not like "heights". You will be high up on the bridge, but you will feel 100% secure by the harness.
Don't wear short shorts -- harness will not feel good or look good, haha. I wore capris. Be sure to wear closed toe shoes. Any athletic shoes are fine. You will walk through areas that could be damp and muddy depending on weather. Take as little extra stuff as possible -- you will lock everything up in a locker, even your phone and wallet. You can't even take a chapstick in your pocket. You may be able to take your phone/camera if it can be attached to your harness vest. Unless you are a professional photographer don't even bother to take a camera. The pictures you get as part of your trek, taken by the guides, will be awesome. You will even get the stock gallery photos that are incredible. They will take photos of you and your companions that you could never get yourselves. You can even ask for extra shots of yourselves in certain places. Truly, don't even bother with a camera.

I have had the amazing opportunity to do the trek 3 times. You can bypass the bridge and hippo area if you do the jeep trip for people with disabilities. It would hardly be worth the money to do the trek if you miss the best parts. I say "pull up your big girl panties" and go for it all the way. You will absolutely not mind the bridge and you will be so happy that you did it. The only problem would be if you were with a smartalecky (sp?) person/husband who thinks it would be funny to rock the bridge. The guides won't let that happen.

Stop thinking about "chickening out" and make up your mind to do it. If my 89-year-old mother can do it, so can you. Have a lot of fun. Ask more questions if you think of them.
Lynda

You will be securely held in by your harness while on the rope bridges. There are no holes. They are "Disney holes". The whole rope bridge is surrounded by strong netting. You cannot fall through even if you wanted to or tried to.

As far as the hippo observation area, you will be on a very safe area and you only have to go out to the edge if you want to (and you WILL want to). In that area you are again safely tethered by your harness to an overhead cable. I am not very fond of heights either, but this is not like "heights". You will be high up on the bridge, but you will feel 100% secure by the harness.
Don't wear short shorts -- harness will not feel good or look good, haha. I wore capris. Be sure to wear closed toe shoes. Any athletic shoes are fine. You will walk through areas that could be damp and muddy depending on weather. Take as little extra stuff as possible -- you will lock everything up in a locker, even your phone and wallet. You can't even take a chapstick in your pocket. You may be able to take your phone/camera if it can be attached to your harness vest. Unless you are a professional photographer don't even bother to take a camera. The pictures you get as part of your trek, taken by the guides, will be awesome. You will even get the stock gallery photos that are incredible. They will take photos of you and your companions that you could never get yourselves. You can even ask for extra shots of yourselves in certain places. Truly, don't even bother with a camera.

I have had the amazing opportunity to do the trek 3 times. You can bypass the bridge and hippo area if you do the jeep trip for people with disabilities. It would hardly be worth the money to do the trek if you miss the best parts. I say "pull up your big girl panties" and go for it all the way. You will absolutely not mind the bridge and you will be so happy that you did it. The only problem would be if you were with a smartalecky (sp?) person/husband who thinks it would be funny to rock the bridge. The guides won't let that happen.

Stop thinking about "chickening out" and make up your mind to do it. If my 89-year-old mother can do it, so can you. Have a lot of fun. Ask more questions if you think of them.
Lynda

Hi Lynda,

Jumping on this thread as this what we (my 11yr and myself) are surprising my daughter with for her 13th birthday while we are there in October!! I cannot wait! Can I ask you a few questions, as it sounds like you have a lot of experience from going 3 times!
1.What is the experience with the giraffes? That is part of my main reason for doing this. My girl LOVES giraffes. We are hoping for some great pics from that part of the trek. I know she will love the whole experience, but I am truly hoping that she will get some great moments seeing her favorite animal :)
2. I was planning on my camera, but after reading your post you have almost convinced me it really not worth it. The only thing I am thinking about it is if I wanted to catch a video of her?? Thoughts on that?
3. You mentioned possible muddy terrain? I understand the closed toed shoes, but thinking now we might want to throw in some of our older tennis shoes for this in case we end up there on a rainy day and really end up in some yucky stuff.
4. Anything else you can think of? Oh this is a big for us. Both of my girls are highly allergic to mosquitos(required antibiotics last two bites). Even with deet on that doesn't always do the trick. Did you notice the mosquitos being more of an issue on this experience? Just want to think about their clothes and such since I know it will still be hot while we are there.

Thank you!!! We cannot wait!!
Amanda

Hi Amanda -- I will try to answer, but I have to give the disclaimer that this is MY opinion only. I rarely post on these boards (although I am an avid reader) because no matter what someone says someone else will come along and completely refute what the other person thinks. I know it will happen here also. I can only give you my perspective.

1. Giraffes. LOTS of giraffes. Are you familiar with the Kilimanjaro Safari ride? The Wild Africa Trek will follow the exact same path as the KS trucks. The main difference is that you will be able to stop along the way and have nice long periods to view the animals and take pictures if you like. All of the animals will be the same, you just have longer opportunities to watch them. If you are lucky, the animals may come up and show interest in you! It hasn't happened to me but I have seen pictures of curious ostriches and giraffes. That would be worth a video, but no guarantees for that type of interaction!

2. Camera. Highly personal decision. Frankly, I was so happy with the pictures that the guides took that I was very happy to be unencumbered with my camera, but then I was not trying to video anything. You are allowed to take a small camera if it can be attached to the harness vest. If I remember correctly they provided a carabiner clip to attach the camera, but I am fuzzy on how that worked. You will not be able to take extra lenses if you have a fancy type camera. The guides take wonderful long distance pictures. The ones they take of you on the bridge will amaze you.

By the way, you will not be wearing the harness vest for the whole trip -- maybe half of the time. You didn't ask this, but when you arrive (and DON'T BE LATE) you will be privately weighed so they can give you the appropriately sized vest. There will be several buckle and strap checks by the guides before you leave. Warn your daughter that this may be a little embarrassing -- they are very careful to be sure that they are tight and fitted correctly. You will wear this harness as you walk through the jungle, as you walk over the bridges, as you lean out over the hippos, and then you take them off. From there you will be on a truck until you reach the Boma which is the structure on the savanna (not the Boma restaurant) where you will have your meal. There is a small bathroom there and handwashing facilities also. You can look around while they set out the food. Food is really nice. If you have a food allergy, be sure to tell them when you make the reservation

3. Shoes. It was never muddy for me on my 3 trips. I had the same concern as you though. I don't think that I would bother to take old shoes. You won't be on the paths that long and they are maintained well so that they are not super muddy. The paths truly are in the woods, though. You will really feel like you are someplace far away from WDW!! The tree roots and low hanging branches were more of a hazard. It is pretty flat but you will have the feel that you are "hiking". Stick with your regular shoes and wash them off later if need be unless you are going during a very rainy season.

4. Bugs/mosquitoes. I did not notice a single mosquito or bug. I was not bitten and did not wear any kind of repellent. I hope you will be as lucky! The only critters we saw were the ones featured on the the trip, i.e. no undesirable or unexpected experiences with slithery things.

5. The only only warning I can think of is the one I mentioned above. Do not wear short shorts. The harnesses fit right up in the crotch very tightly. The harnesses just are NOT flattering with shorts -- I was very happy to have on capris every time.

6. Allow more than enough time to get there. When people are late, the whole group has to wait. On my second trip, there were 5 (out of the total of 12) people who were late and we waited a long time before leaving without them. It made for a really nice trip for the 7 of us who made it but what a waste of money for them.

7. I am really glad that I did the first trip of the day (8am) each time I went. It felt more "alone". The groups leave about every 45 minutes and you can feel a little rushed by the other groups. The guides meet you at the front of the park for the early treks and walk the group back to the departure area. After the park opens, you will walk back to the departure area on your own. I have been told by the guides that there is no bad time of day to go, but you might see different animal activity in the afternoons.

8. Last thing I can think of is that you will be given headphones. They will test them before you leave on the trek so be sure to speak up if yours are not working well. You will be able to hear everything the guides say even when the group spreads out and people straggle a little bit.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Everyone I have gone with has loved it too. Your daughter will be thrilled. I'm happy to help if you think of more.
Lynda

I can sometimes be a little bothered by heights, but had no problem with the bridges. I was so focused on waving to the people on Kilamanjaro Safaris that I barely noticed how high up I was!
And just a heads up in case you forget and go to spend money in a gift store before your trek - in May they had both sunscreen and bug spray out for everyone to use.
I hope you enjoy it and your meal as much as I did (I'm a vegetarian and loved the food they had for me!)

So - I signed up and I'm going ah! But I'm scared of heights. The bridge has holes on the side and lord. Can I bypass only this?! The hippo thing looks cool but what if I chicken out at the bridge?! Help! :(

Also any tips? Do I need a camera strap? Where can I find one?!?!

Thanks! :)

I've never done the Trek and while I'm sure Disney will be a great experience, I've seen those, er, places you walk on it and I wouldn't do it. But I am glad to hear of experiences from others who have done it and found it not as bad as I expect it would be for me. Heck, I can't even do a Ferris wheel anymore.

Last edited:
Hi Amanda -- I will try to answer, but I have to give the disclaimer that this is MY opinion only. I rarely post on these boards (although I am an avid reader) because no matter what someone says someone else will come along and completely refute what the other person thinks. I know it will happen here also. I can only give you my perspective.

1. Giraffes. LOTS of giraffes. Are you familiar with the Kilimanjaro Safari ride? The Wild Africa Trek will follow the exact same path as the KS trucks. The main difference is that you will be able to stop along the way and have nice long periods to view the animals and take pictures if you like. All of the animals will be the same, you just have longer opportunities to watch them. If you are lucky, the animals may come up and show interest in you! It hasn't happened to me but I have seen pictures of curious ostriches and giraffes. That would be worth a video, but no guarantees for that type of interaction!

2. Camera. Highly personal decision. Frankly, I was so happy with the pictures that the guides took that I was very happy to be unencumbered with my camera, but then I was not trying to video anything. You are allowed to take a small camera if it can be attached to the harness vest. If I remember correctly they provided a carabiner clip to attach the camera, but I am fuzzy on how that worked. You will not be able to take extra lenses if you have a fancy type camera. The guides take wonderful long distance pictures. The ones they take of you on the bridge will amaze you.

By the way, you will not be wearing the harness vest for the whole trip -- maybe half of the time. You didn't ask this, but when you arrive (and DON'T BE LATE) you will be privately weighed so they can give you the appropriately sized vest. There will be several buckle and strap checks by the guides before you leave. Warn your daughter that this may be a little embarrassing -- they are very careful to be sure that they are tight and fitted correctly. You will wear this harness as you walk through the jungle, as you walk over the bridges, as you lean out over the hippos, and then you take them off. From there you will be on a truck until you reach the Boma which is the structure on the savanna (not the Boma restaurant) where you will have your meal. There is a small bathroom there and handwashing facilities also. You can look around while they set out the food. Food is really nice. If you have a food allergy, be sure to tell them when you make the reservation

3. Shoes. It was never muddy for me on my 3 trips. I had the same concern as you though. I don't think that I would bother to take old shoes. You won't be on the paths that long and they are maintained well so that they are not super muddy. The paths truly are in the woods, though. You will really feel like you are someplace far away from WDW!! The tree roots and low hanging branches were more of a hazard. It is pretty flat but you will have the feel that you are "hiking". Stick with your regular shoes and wash them off later if need be unless you are going during a very rainy season.

4. Bugs/mosquitoes. I did not notice a single mosquito or bug. I was not bitten and did not wear any kind of repellent. I hope you will be as lucky! The only critters we saw were the ones featured on the the trip, i.e. no undesirable or unexpected experiences with slithery things.

5. The only only warning I can think of is the one I mentioned above. Do not wear short shorts. The harnesses fit right up in the crotch very tightly. The harnesses just are NOT flattering with shorts -- I was very happy to have on capris every time.

6. Allow more than enough time to get there. When people are late, the whole group has to wait. On my second trip, there were 5 (out of the total of 12) people who were late and we waited a long time before leaving without them. It made for a really nice trip for the 7 of us who made it but what a waste of money for them.

7. I am really glad that I did the first trip of the day (8am) each time I went. It felt more "alone". The groups leave about every 45 minutes and you can feel a little rushed by the other groups. The guides meet you at the front of the park for the early treks and walk the group back to the departure area. After the park opens, you will walk back to the departure area on your own. I have been told by the guides that there is no bad time of day to go, but you might see different animal activity in the afternoons.

8. Last thing I can think of is that you will be given headphones. They will test them before you leave on the trek so be sure to speak up if yours are not working well. You will be able to hear everything the guides say even when the group spreads out and people straggle a little bit.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Everyone I have gone with has loved it too. Your daughter will be thrilled. I'm happy to help if you think of more.
Lynda

Thank you so much for answering my questions :) Glad to know about capris being more comfortable! I wear quite a few skorts when we travel to Disney and wouldn't have even thought about that!!! :sad2: That would have been embarrassing and uncomfortable!! We are always those people who show up early just in case, so good to know about being there in enough time. Ours is scheduled for an 11 start time. It was that or a little later to a great discounted rate so went with as early as we could grab! Hoping it won't be too hot yet.
Do you remember what they served for the food? I do have a peanut allergy and I did add it to the reservation, but just curious what they usually serve.

I did the Wild Africa Trek last year. I am afraid of heights also, but crossed the rope bridge. I'm still proud of myself for doing it! You are harnessed in and the guides are very safety-conscious. I will say that some of the slats in the bridge are pretty far apart, but there were a couple of 10-12 year old girls on my tour and they crossed without any problems. There are also rope nets below the slats. If you cross the bridge, you can look back at your photo on the bridge over the Nile crocodiles and think "I DID IT" like I do. Also, a photo package is included in the cost of the tour. You can take a camera with a strap, but you really don't need one. I didn't take mine because it would have given me one more thing I would worrying about losing on the rope bridge!

I did the Wild Africa Trek last year. I am afraid of heights also, but crossed the rope bridge. I'm still proud of myself for doing it! You are harnessed in and the guides are very safety-conscious. I will say that some of the slats in the bridge are pretty far apart, but there were a couple of 10-12 year old girls on my tour and they crossed without any problems. There are also rope nets below the slats. If you cross the bridge, you can look back at your photo on the bridge over the Nile crocodiles and think "I DID IT" like I do. Also, a photo package is included in the cost of the tour. You can take a camera with a strap, but you really don't need one. I didn't take mine because it would have given me one more thing I would worrying about losing on the rope bridge!

Ah good to know!!!! I'm going to so do it! I turn 27 on Thursday so this will be a huge step for me and starting the year off strong!

Hi,
We are thinking of doing the trek this year. I have two questions.

1- Is this something we can wait to book when we arrive?(we are there for two weeks)

2- How is the trek for pooh sized people?

Great info! Thanks. I have also taken Wild Africa Trek several times and love it. One of the best extras I have done at WDW. I have always done the 10:15 tour but changed my upcoming October one to 8am. Above users were very thorough and all have great posts. I didn't encounter any bugs or mud either. They do take a ton of pictures so I was also very pleased with all the pics they took and happy to be free from a camera as above poster indicated.
I was hesitant about the bridge before my first trip but it was fine. There is netting under the planks and on the sides, so the missing planks aren't an issue. The way I looked at it, Disney would never do anything to put you at harm. I would be more concerned it is was anybody but Disney.

As for Pooh sized, it was fine. They do weigh you before you leave but it is very quiet and the scale number can only be seen by the person weighing you. I believe the weight limit is 300 pounds. They have the vests in all different sizes which was a concern of mine but no issues whatsoever. It is great! Please give it a try.

I would imagine you can book at any time as long as the tour isn't full, but I haven't been on a tour that was full yet. My last tour was in February 2014 and the total number of people was five. The guides are very knowledgeable and take very good care of you. On our last tour, it was very cold and a little wet, they had tubs of blankets for all of us to wrap ourselves in while we were in the safari vehicle and while we were eating.

The Disney website will tell you what food they serve, they have a breakfast which is a little different than the later tours. I always have done the 10:15 tour and gotten the lunch option - I think you stop and eat about 2 hours after the tour begins. I indicated a food allergy and they had my container marked separately and the guides spoke to me about it before giving me my food.

Great info! Thanks. I have also taken Wild Africa Trek several times and love it. One of the best extras I have done at WDW. I have always done the 10:15 tour but changed my upcoming October one to 8am. Above users were very thorough and all have great posts. I didn't encounter any bugs or mud either. They do take a ton of pictures so I was also very pleased with all the pics they took and happy to be free from a camera as above poster indicated.
I was hesitant about the bridge before my first trip but it was fine. There is netting under the planks and on the sides, so the missing planks aren't an issue. The way I looked at it, Disney would never do anything to put you at harm. I would be more concerned it is was anybody but Disney.

As for Pooh sized, it was fine. They do weigh you before you leave but it is very quiet and the scale number can only be seen by the person weighing you. I believe the weight limit is 300 pounds. They have the vests in all different sizes which was a concern of mine but no issues whatsoever. It is great! Please give it a try.

I would imagine you can book at any time as long as the tour isn't full, but I haven't been on a tour that was full yet. My last tour was in February 2014 and the total number of people was five. The guides are very knowledgeable and take very good care of you. On our last tour, it was very cold and a little wet, they had tubs of blankets for all of us to wrap ourselves in while we were in the safari vehicle and while we were eating.

The Disney website will tell you what food they serve, they have a breakfast which is a little different than the later tours. I always have done the 10:15 tour and gotten the lunch option - I think you stop and eat about 2 hours after the tour begins. I indicated a food allergy and they had my container marked separately and the guides spoke to me about it before giving me my food.
Thank you for such a wonderful detailed response. All the responses have been really informative and helpful.:sunny:

Scared of heights here also !!! Went on the trek Dec. 2014 and I simply loved it !!!:yay::yay: Have a trip planned for April 2016 and am seriously thinking about the Trek again !!! Go ahead and do it, I'm sure you'll have a blaste !!!!

When I did it, they offered bug spray while we were waiting for everyone to harness up. I didn't use it because I was wearing long pants, but the guide recommended it to those wearing shorts and capris.

Also regarding taking a camera, I did have my phone with me. They provided a strap that connected the case to the vest. While I loved the pictures they took, I am glad I have some personal pictures too, like straight down on the bridge where you can see my feet and crocodiles and some of the views from the boma where we ate. I liked that I didn't feel the need to have my camera out very much since they were taking photos of us, but I like those pictures too.

For food, I have a dairy allergy and some people on my tour were vegetarian and we were all satisfied with the substitutions they made to our meals.

I highly recommend this tour and am actually doing it again on my next trip and can't wait.

When I did it, they offered bug spray while we were waiting for everyone to harness up. I didn't use it because I was wearing long pants, but the guide recommended it to those wearing shorts and capris.

Just going to note that bugs can and do sting through long pants. When camping, we always sprayed our jeans, "just in case".

We did this last year. We have an adult son with Down Syndrome and were a little concerned about how he would handle the bridges. He has no depth perception and has to hold onto my shoulder to go down stairs. He jumped on that bridge and took off like a pro! My hubby took a reg. camera and I took a small one. They gave me a carabiner with a strap to attach to my vest. Hubby wore his camera around his neck with the strap that came with it. He was able to get some good shots of us crossing the bridges. The pictures they take are really good and they tell you if you want anything specific to let them know. They did offer us bug spray and sunscreen.
The food was shrimp, curried chicken salad, some type of dried meat, humus, I think some melon, jungle juice. Can't remember what else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter