• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wife in Walking Boot - Leaving in 3 days - suggestions

lions1995

DIS Veteran
My wife was put in a walking boot yesterday. Her calf is causing her a lot of pain and she is supposed to rest it, hence the boot. We leave on Friday and I am trying to figure out the best options for her. We are traveling with friend so we have a party of 11. I know she is worried about inconveniencing the rest of the group. She bought crutches, but I fear that will quickly become a hassle. I suggested a wheelchair or scooter. She does not want to have some one push her around all day, but she is also concerned that the scooter will have it's issues.

I worry that she will just push herself and quietly suffer in pain or just go find a bench and sit for the day.

I am really looking for some one who may have been in this situation (last minute mobility issues) for what may or may not have worked for you. Or any suggestions would be great.

So sorry your wife is injured right before your vacation. Here are a couple of links to recent threads on the same topic:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3339185

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3343902

It would be extremely tiring to use crutches all day long around the parks, multiple days in a row, especially for someone new to that situation. She is more likely to slow down the rest of the party by using the crutches than using a wheelchair or ECV.

Enjoy your vacation!

So sorry your wife is injured right before your vacation. Here are a couple of links to recent threads on the same topic:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3339185

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3343902

It would be extremely tiring to use crutches all day long around the parks, multiple days in a row, especially for someone new to that situation. She is more likely to slow down the rest of the party by using the crutches than using a wheelchair or ECV.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you. I did see the first posting and got some thoughts from it. I agree crutches are probably not a good idea. Maybe the first day (animal Kingdom day) we go for a wheelchair and see how that goes.

I would suggest looking at renting an ECV from an offsite vendor. She could always carry the crutches with her, park the ECV in an area/by a ride and get out to walk if she wanted or bring it in queues (the majority of standby & FP+ queues are wheelchair & ECV accessible so it wouldn't usually split the party up). When there are alternate entrances she should be able to bring about half the party with her through that entrance. With 11 you may find yourselves splitting up like that anyway. An ECV gives her the freedom to go off on her own if she wants to. A rental wheelchair would mean someone would have to be able to push her and give her less independence.

The offsite vendors will deliver to your resort. WDW transportation can transport ECVs. The buses can all transport at least 2 ECVs. If a bus comes and is too full for her ECV, the bus driver should call for another bus to come immediately. You should also be able to rent an ECV that will break down to fit in the trunk of a car. Depending on how long you stay, an offsite rental will be probably at least half the cost of a WDW rental and renting means she will have it no matter when she goes to the park (the WDW rental ECVs tend to run out early, although the wheelchairs rarely run out).

Normally I'd advocate trying a day and bringing the phone number for an ECV rental vendor with you if it looked like an ECV would be better, however, Thanksgiving week is so busy that I would call and book now. The 2nd post in the disAbilities FAQ sticky has a lot of information about WDW with a mobility issue including a list of some of the vendors who posters here have used and liked. The list that's "WDW Partner Vendors" or similar are the vendors who can drop off and pickup ECVs from bell services at WDW resorts. The others can still drop off/pick up from the resort, however, she would need to meet an employee on each end. If you're staying offsite all the vendors can drop off with bell services/concierge/the office at pretty much every hotel in the area. There's nothing inherently better about the "partners", they're just the ones who have an agreement with WDW about using bell services.

Reserve an ECV for her. It's going to be crowded next week and who knows if you'll be able to get one there when she realizes she needs one. Plus she'll have an extra basket for the other 11 people to stash stuff;)

I have a knee walker it isn't meant for 6 miles a day within an hour you will be in pain I use one and can't use it for any distance it's the same with a knee crutch and crutches if you use them a lot every day fine if not you will be in pian

Speaking from experience as a person who was in a walking boot and crutches for a WDW trip, I can tell you with 0% doubt or reservation that going without a wheelchair or ECV is not an option for your wife. That is, unless she wants to stay at the hotel or on a bench all day while everyone else goes on without her - and that won't be much fun either for her or for the 10 people who feel guilty and wish she was there enjoying the parks with them.

I tried a manual wheelchair for one day, but it was a shock just how many hills and ramps are in the park, and how steep some of them are. Even the "accessible" queue for Soarin' was so steep we barely made it. The friends who pushed me were quickly worn out, and self-propelling is pretty hard for someone like me who isn't used to it in her daily life (I managed for stretches by also pulling with my good foot, but still). HOWEVER, with 11 in your party, this may not be a problem, because they could switch off pushing more frequently.

Are there difficulties with using a scooter? Sure. But they're minor compared with the Sisyphean task of trying to get around on crutches. I was used to the ECV within an hour or so, and had a great trip.

Speaking from experience as a person who was in a walking boot and crutches for a WDW trip, I can tell you with 0% doubt or reservation that going without a wheelchair or ECV is not an option for your wife. That is, unless she wants to stay at the hotel or on a bench all day while everyone else goes on without her - and that won't be much fun either for her or for the 10 people who feel guilty and wish she was there enjoying the parks with them.

I tried a manual wheelchair for one day, but it was a shock just how many hills and ramps are in the park, and how steep some of them are. Even the "accessible" queue for Soarin' was so steep we barely made it. The friends who pushed me were quickly worn out, and self-propelling is pretty hard for someone like me who isn't used to it in her daily life (I managed for stretches by also pulling with my good foot, but still). HOWEVER, with 11 in your party, this may not be a problem, because they could switch off pushing more frequently.

Are there difficulties with using a scooter? Sure. But they're minor compared with the Sisyphean task of trying to get around on crutches. I was used to the ECV within an hour or so, and had a great trip.

What she said. And she said it so well, even using one of my very favorite words, Sisyphean! :banana:

Thank you ALL. I talked her into doing an offsite EVC rental. Called tonight and all is set. I am sure end will be happy about after the first day.

think all of your group will be happy with your choice plus if you take ECV in line it will give her a chance to rest while being in line. remember there are a few rides that you do have to switch to wheelchair that are there for your use. most times it is because loading and unloading are close enough for ECV to be moved for you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter