Why won't Mickey GUARANTEE...

colleen costello

<font color=FF99FF>Is in a "just back from OKW and
I am a bit fed up with WDW reservations. We are going in March and my parents will be joining us. Dad is recovering from getting "the bionic knee" and Mom has asthma and mobility problems and uses an ECV. We are spending two nights at Carribean Beach before going ot a DVC room all together. Disney made me mad when they informed me that at Carribean Beach -- which has no elevators -- a ground floor room is just a "request!" I asked how they could NOT guarantee a ground room to a person with an ECV -- perhaps the man who just had the knee surgery could CARRY it upstairs? But even when they transferred me to the "disability special request" line, the woman there insisted it was only a REQUEST...

What is the deal here? Carribean Beach must have about a zillion rooms, half of which are downstairs. Is it such a big deal to promise ONE to a couple who needs it? They keep saying "get a HC room" but my parents sleep better in their own beds, and HC rooms have only ONE bed. I guess it just amazes me that Disney resorts won't make guarantees on what seem vital issues to me -- non-smoking for asthmatics; ground floor for ECV users. What would they have my Mom do if they assigned her to an upstairs room? When we drive down we stay in reasonably-priced chain hotels, and they sem to have NO problem with promising a certain kind of room. I think on this issue, Mickey is a bit clueless! Just venting. :)

If your parents request is noted for First Floor for Medical Reasons (or says something similare to that, they should have no problem getting first floor, even though it is not guaranteed. I don't know why exactly they don't guarantee iot, but I have been told (quite a few times) that they fill medical requests before they fill 'general' requests for the same thing. Not that many people request first floor, so IMHO, they won't have a problem getting first floor.
The other thing is that when they check in, they should make sure to confirm the room is first floor before they leave the desk area.

They do guarantee the wheelchair accessible rooms because there are not that many of them, so they do have to know how many will be occupied.

I agree with Sue M about the request being for "medical reasons". We requested a non-smoking room, the cm was trying to enter the request and the CRO computers were VERy slow. We started to chat and I said that both kids have very mild asthma and use puffers a few times per year. The cm then told we about the "medical reasons" request and said that it is not like a regular request. He GUARANTEED me a non-smoking room. He said it was on a different part of the computer screen and gladly took the time to enter the info. on the computer for us.

Definately call back, perhaps the cm wasn't aware of the policy . I'm sure a different cm will be able to help you out.

Suzy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter