why why WHY!! Disney cannot have a set of parents in any MOVIE!!!

snookiedoodles

DIS Veteran
Every movie one partner dies off, does not exist, or is not even mentioned..............WHY!!!!!

I just saw Cloudy with a chance of meatballs.....BAM!!! The mother dies off.
I also saw Up last night with the kids...............BAM!!! The wife dies off.

Bambi
The Lion King
Snow White
Toy Story
Dumbo
Pinochio
Alladin
Beauty and the Beast
The little mermaid
The list goes on and on!!!!!
:confused3

OK Disney.....lets try something new......how about a set of supportive, strong parents.................come on now........enough already!!!:thumbsup2

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is Sony I believe, it's not Disney

Bambi is based on a book in which the mother dies

Pinocchio is a PUPPET (for the most part), so.. it'd be a little bit odd if he did have parents. but also based on a series of stories.

Snow White is based on a fairy tale.

Not sure if the question is serious or not, so that's why I'm answering like this. I usually make a joke of it myself, but there are better, more relevant examples in my opinion, such as Finding Nemo and Princess and the Frog for example.

Aurora and Hercules have both parents... of course they are forced away from them and are raised by other people... but we do get to see the parents at the beginning and end! Haha.

But honestly, you learn in fictional writing that you want your audience to feel for the main character and by pulling on the draw strings related with loosing a parent audiences feel more for the character making a better story all around.

The Parent Trap has both parents....although it took them 10 years to reconcile.

I think more people would agree with you if you just used more exclamation points.

:sad2:

Pathos. The loss of a parent, or absence of one, creates a very strong pathos, and therefore attachment to main character. Disney animation excels at it.

My guess is that those with strong, two-parent families just don't have enough conflict and drama in their lives to make a colorful, animated movie!

although i found the movie a complete waste, i must give kudos to Disney for finally introducing Ariel's mother just to kill her off.

gave me some closure.

and of course, Aladdin did get a scumbag of a father. he was actually intended to have a mother in the original film (who Ashman wrote 'proud of your boy' for).

Every movie one partner dies off, does not exist, or is not even mentioned..............WHY!!!!!

I just saw Cloudy with a chance of meatballs.....BAM!!! The mother dies off.
I also saw Up last night with the kids...............BAM!!! The wife dies off.

Bambi
The Lion King
Snow White
Toy Story
Dumbo
Pinochio
Alladin
Beauty and the Beast
The little mermaid
The list goes on and on!!!!!
:confused3

OK Disney.....lets try something new......how about a set of supportive, strong parents.................come on now........enough already!!!:thumbsup2

ITA....WHY do all those movies only have single parents??? That is the oddest thing!

A lot of kids, unfortunately, do not have a set of strong, supportive parents. A lot of kids have to get along with one strong, supportive parent, or two parents who want to be strong and supportive but who just can't make it work, or with a parent away at war. Honestly, how many people do you know who's parents are still together? Not many in my neck of the woods.

Tiana has married supportive parents in Princess and the frog.. Of course, the dad does end up passing away when Tiana is an adult.

A lot of fairy tales are about kids without parents or without one parent. In fact, if you look at modern kids books and YA novels you'll find a lot of characters without parents. It allows the main character to do a lot of things he or she couldn't normally do with a set of loving parents to watch over the character.

Harry Potter couldn't be Happy Potter if his mom and dad were still alive.

But yeah. I wouldn't want to be the mom of a future Disney princess. LOL.

I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that Walt Disney's mother died when he was young and that is why most of his movies have only one parent. Like I said, I could be wrong....

At some point as my experience with children's movies expanded, I made that same connection. I was a little annoyed that many of disney's conflict (as well as other major movie makers) had to do with dead/missing parents.

Even Ice age, momma dies.

Yikes. I guess they need young characters who have to solve their own problems and the only way is to kill off a parent or two.

Walt's parents were both alive into their senior years, and got to see their son become an enormous success. In 1938, following the windfall that was Snow White, Walt and Roy bought them a huge house. Unfortunately, there was some problem with their furnace, which, tragically, led to their death by carbon monoxide poisoning. At this time, Pinocchio and Bambi were already in production (and, as previous posters have noted, were based on source materials in which the main characters were motherless) -- many of the other stories he based his films on had motherless characters as well. Was he attracted to these stories because of his own loss, sadness, and guilt? Or because they were timeless tales? We don't, and can't, ever know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter