Why we chose to buy the Poly direct from Disney instead of buying resale

Lol, we have been going to wdw for 7 years in a row and stayed at most of the resorts. I asked my wife and kid which one they liked best for dvc and they were sold on BCV. For us, it really wasn't even close.

I guess we'll see you there! Someone else who understands my situation. Woohoo!

Here are a couple of things that we have learned after being owners for a number of years.

We are spending less time in the parks and more time at the resort.
The more we go, the less we enjoy the crowds and longer waits.
Our children are less interested in WDW vacations and our adult children don't want our contracts.
We won't keep any of our contracts full term.
We own and enjoy VWL (old version), BWV, and VGF. We also own but enjoy less, BCV, BLT, AKV.

:earsboy: Bill
Thanks! Love hearing experiences/tips from those who've been there and done that!

Here are a couple of things that we have learned after being owners for a number of years.

Our children are less interested in WDW vacations and our adult children don't want our contracts.
We won't keep any of our contracts full term.
We own and enjoy VWL (old version), BWV, and VGF. We also own but enjoy less, BCV, BLT, AKV.

What do you mean by VWL (old version)? Do you mean the current version, pre-VWL2?

After returning from our first big family trip from WDW, my family decided to join DVC. Of course that decision was followed by an even tougher one: should we buy resale or buy direct? After doing tons of research on the Interwebs, it became clear to me that the consensus "best choice" was to buy resale. Almost all advice I came across from most sources seemed to overwhelmingly point that way. The impression I formed was that most long time DVC owners considered it ludicrous to buy points for $170 when you could get them as low as $55, and I can see the basic sense in that. So, I decided to buy resale, and even put in a few bids. Then Disney made their big announcement on April 4th about losing benefits if you buy resale, and I started to think... Is buying resale really the best option for my family?

Some background: We are a young middle class family from So Cal with 2 boys, age 1 and 3. We are hoping to try for a little girl soon :) We live 20 minutes from Disneyland and have been going there our entire lives. When it came to choosing our home resort, theming was really important to us. By large margin the two resorts we like most are AKV and PVB. When I was going to by resale I was going to get AKV, and that would have been great... except I firmly believe the Poly is a better fit for my family. Not only that, but buying direct was also better fit for us, and here's 5 reasons why:

1) Length of contract is very important to us. We are big on tradition, and are in joining DVC are buying a something memorable that we can share with our our children. Not only for when they are kids, but also for when they are adults and have kids of there own, and maybe even when their kids have kids. We are in our early 30's, so by the time this contract is up our children will have children almost as old as us. We want to pass this gift down to them and have it be something we can all share and bond over for decades to come. With most resale contracts ending at earlier dates, we did not feel we were getting the maximum value out of our investment (and when I say value I am not just talking monetarily) buy buying a contract with a date that expired earlier than the full term, and pretty much the only way to get the full term is to buy a new resort through Disney.

2) The Polynesian was the best fit for our family, and being so new it just doesn't make sense to buy it resale (for numerous reasons). Being the biggest studios, and having two bathrooms and sleeping five, we feel we could comfortably fit into that studio until our oldest is 12 or 13 without being forced to get a 1 bedroom. After that, or if we want some privacy on a trip before then, we can just get two studios and connect them. Once the kids are gone we can be comfortable in a studio since their will only be 2 of us, and we believe Poly offers the best DVC studios currently available. PVB has the single best OVERALL location of all the resorts, and the best transportation options as well (I know Epcot resorts are better for Epcot, and BLT is better for MK, but I am talking overall between all the Disney destinations on site). It has arguably the best views. It has amazing theming that will engage our kids. It has Trader Sams and Dole Whip. I could go on.

3) Since very few Poly owners are going to use their points to book the Bungalows, most are going to book studios, which leads me to believe competition will be fierce for those at 7 months. So, if we want any hope of getting our top room choice in all of Disney for our point budget, especially in Oct-Nov when we like to travel, Poly HAS to be our home resort. Its very unlikely we could get any monorail resort consistently during that time at 7 months. Also, AKV being our second choice, I realized that it is MUCH easier to get into at 7 months, one of the easiest in fact. It seems silly to make that my home resort when I can get into it at 7 months so much easier, almost as if I am wasting my 11 month priority.

4) All points are not created equal. By buying at a resort thats cheaper, and I do not want to stay at, I am essentially giving up my 11 month priority window. That is a huge benefit and of huge value to us, especially traveling Oct-Dec. If my home resort is one of my bottom choices (which the cheaper ones were), I am going to be relegated to being stuck scrambling at 7 months to get whatever other resort thats available during the times I want to travel, or, being forced to travel at specific times in order to get the resort I want. I'm sorry but the price tag is too high to have to settle on major decisions like when to travel. Also, although AKV points are can be bought for $80 dollars, they can also only be sold for $80. I believe PVB points are going to be worth more in the long run, and always sell for more dollars per point, a la the Grand Cal and Grand Floridian.

5- This was not a financial investment. It was an emotional one. We aren't seeing this a a business transaction to maximize our cost savings on future vacations. We see this as an investment in our happiness and everyday quality of life. Knowing that we are not privy to the same rights and benefits as somebody who bought direct would take away a lot of the emotional value in this purchase. And for us, that value is just as important as the financial value. While its true that all the perks they have taken away no way justify the difference in price at the moment, who is to say what else may change over the next fifty years. They may make more restrictions our offer some amazing benefits and it makes me feel better to not have to worry about missing out on anything. My wife told me something that really stuck with me... She said, "I would hate to spend all this money only to feel like a second class citizen." And while its silly, deep down inside if I bought resale there would always be part of me that would feel like that. Not to mention the ease and service you get buying direct can't be matched. For instance, I originally bought a December use year and after getting my points and making a reservation, a week later I realized October would be better for my family. I called up my guide and asked if there was any way I could change. She talked to her manager and that same day called me back and sent out a new contract for me with an October use year. Im sorry but thats not going to happen buying resale.

Ultimately the decision to buy direct or buy resale is going to depend on innumerable variables and whats right for one family may not be right for another. After reading so much advice on why you should buy resale I just wanted to put out my thoughts on the benefits of buying direct, especially for my family. I'm interested to hear what DVC and DISboard veterans have to say on the topic.

Sounds like you jumped in with your eyes wide open. Congrats! On a side note, so Disney has the power to change a member's UY. I wonder how many others they've done this for, and what other implications this has?

I think Disney changed the use year before the contract had already been issued: I'm not sure but I think OP changed his mind on use year within the first ten days.

I think Disney changed the use year before the contract had already been issued: I'm not sure but I think OP changed his mind on use year within the first ten days.

I thought you can only change your mind within the first 10 days after signing contract. The OP received their points, made a reservation, and a week later contacted their rep to ask about a different UY. Correct me if I'm wrong, but sounds way beyond the 10 day rescission period to me.

5- I originally bought a December use year and after getting my points and making a reservation, a week later I realized October would be better for my family. I called up my guide and asked if there was any way I could change. She talked to her manager and that same day called me back and sent out a new contract for me with an October use year.

I thought you can only change your mind within the first 10 days after signing contract. The OP received their points, made a reservation, and a week later contacted their rep to ask about a different UY. Correct me if I'm wrong, but sounds way beyond the 10 day rescission period to me.

OP has another thread explaining and they are just at the very start of the process. Contracts were being mailed and DVC had charged their credit card for the deposit but they had not even signed their contracts yet so had not started the 10 day recision period. If they had been past the 10 days it would be very very very unlikely that DVC would have changed the UY.

I think you made the right choice.

As you said this was an "emotional" purchase, so don't look back.

Your heart is set on Poly. There isn't much on the resale market for the Poly anyway. I did see a couple listings at one site for the $150/$160 range. If you're buying at $170, the difference doesn't seem to be worth it, especially with the new restrictions on resale benefits. Plus you get to control exactly how many points you're buying, use year month, etc.

Just to clarify, I received my membership number, Club ID, and points the day after I made my initial payment (one of the nice things about buying direct, instant gratification, LoL). I then proceeded to make a reservation at PVB for our upcoming Anniversary. My guide sent the contracts out. We received the contracts. At this point more than 10 days had passed since payment. I called her and asked to switch use years about 15 days after getting my membership number and it was done by the next day and she sent out a new contract which would void the old one. I was worried I was going to lose my reservation, and we were now inside the 7 month window so hope was small of getting it back, but somehow they just transferred it over, even though I had a new membership number and club ID. I didn't have to do anything, when I signed into my new account the reservation was right there as if nothing happened.

Welcome Home!!!

Your original post was great!! We bought resale at Saratoga Springs last month. You and your family will have years of great vacations :)

Welcome Home to you too! Congratulations and I'm sure you guys are going to make plenty of awesome memories as well! :D

Lol, we have been going to wdw for 7 years in a row and stayed at most of the resorts. I asked my wife and kid which one they liked best for dvc and they were sold on BCV. For us, it really wasn't even close.

Don't get me wrong, I BLT is amazing and I plan on staying there many times in the future, but it just didn't fit our situation for being our home resort.

From a pragmatic standpoint the studios are just way to small for our current family of 4, and definitely too small for a family of five. If we bought BLT that would necessitate buying enough points for a one bedroom, which is significantly more points than we ultimately purchased. More points equals more dues, and even with BLT's MF's being lower, that many more points would end up costing me more over the life of the contract. Also, at $125 a point, I am not sure the savings is significant enough to buy resale over direct, at least for me.

From a more aesthetic and preferential standpoint, while I do like the overall theming and style of BLT, I am not so sure my kids would. There is something inherently magical with being on a property and feeling like you have been transported to another time and place, especially when that place is as exotic and romanticized as the South Pacific is in American popular culture. I believe that's true for adults as well but especially for children. Unfortunately as nice as BLT is it just doesn't have that effect on me and almost leaves me feeling as if I a missing a little something from my vacation. Now will that stop me from staying there? Heck no! LoL

Growing up right by Disneyland, we are already more excited about the resorts than the parks lol. That is why I decided a long time ago that we will never buy annual passes and won't go to any individual park more than 2 times a year. Hopefully that way we can keep things fresh and maintain that sense of excitement and anticipation. Now that we bought DVC, I plan to only go to WDW every third trip, and DL every third trip, separating that always by a trip to a non Disney theme park destination. So for instance one trip would be to WDW, then the next to Aulani, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, or other destinations in florida (Orlando in general, Sea World, universal, lego land, etc), then the next trip to DL. I know its idealistic but hey thats how I am supposed to be this early in lol. Hopefully it at least works somewhat.

Now, once all of that becomes old I am sure there will be years that we rent out our points to finance other trips, probably without the kids. I know its not the best value on my investment but like I said Im thinking of this as a forced vacation plan more than a savings plan. Finally, I'm aware that there may come a day when I decide DVC or PVB just isn't for me, and I take great solace in knowing that I have the ability to sell it when that time comes. Granted it will be at a loss, but I will have gotten years, (hopefully decades) of vacations and wonderful memories with my family out of it so I think it will be worth it. My father in Law owns a timeshare and when I asked his advice before purchasing he said, "Don't do it because you are never going to be able to sell it." and I probably wouldn't have bought if that had been the case. I think thats one of the reasons Disney has to keep the resale market afloat because buyers like me make the purchase knowing there is a parachute if we need it down the road.

Finally, Disney seems to be making A LOT of money off of DVC, and the only way to sell more points is to build more resorts. They can only build so many at WDW (or can they???) so I'm hoping in future years resorts will be built at different destinations as well. That's why I am hoping I won't get tired of this investment in 50 years. I know thats a long time and I am making a lot of rationalizations but hey, thats what people do when they make a crazy big purchase like this right???

Last edited:
What do you mean by VWL (old version)? Do you mean the current version, pre-VWL2?

Correct, screwing up the lake view with cabins and thinning the trees is what I don't like. Adding more guests to the resort and more people using the pools is what I don't like. Harder to find a patio table to set at and harder to get a pool chair. Longer lines for QS food and harder to get an ADR for the resort restaurants is what I don't like.

Just to clarify, I received my membership number, Club ID, and points the day after I made my initial payment (one of the nice things about buying direct, instant gratification, LoL). I then proceeded to make a reservation at PVB for our upcoming Anniversary. My guide sent the contracts out. We received the contracts. At this point more than 10 days had passed since payment. I called her and asked to switch use years about 15 days after getting my membership number and it was done by the next day and she sent out a new contract which would void the old one. I was worried I was going to lose my reservation, and we were now inside the 7 month window so hope was small of getting it back, but somehow they just transferred it over, even though I had a new membership number and club ID. I didn't have to do anything, when I signed into my new account the reservation was right there as if nothing happened.
Thanks for the clarification. Your experience provides good incentive to buy direct.

This is a great post! DH and I aren't ready to buy DVC yet. We know we want to purchase it, we are just not sure if we want to buy resale or direct.
Thanks for posting all your thoughts! I will be sharing your post with DH.

OP has another thread explaining and they are just at the very start of the process. Contracts were being mailed and DVC had charged their credit card for the deposit but they had not even signed their contracts yet so had not started the 10 day recision period. If they had been past the 10 days it would be very very very unlikely that DVC would have changed the UY.
Thanks for clarifying!

Don't get me wrong, I BLT is amazing and I plan on staying there many times in the future, but it just didn't fit our situation for being our home resort.

From a pragmatic standpoint the studios are just way to small for our current family of 4, and definitely too small for a family of five. If we bought BLT that would necessitate buying enough points for a one bedroom, which is significantly more points than we ultimately purchased. More points equals more dues, and even with BLT's MF's being lower, that many more points would end up costing me more over the life of the contract. Also, at $125 a point, I am not sure the savings is significant enough to buy resale over direct, at least for me.

From a more aesthetic and preferential standpoint, while I do like the overall theming and style of BLT, I am not so sure my kids would. There is something inherently magical with being on a property and feeling like you have been transported to another time and place, especially when that place is as exotic and romanticized as the South Pacific is in American popular culture. I believe that's true for adults as well but especially for children. Unfortunately as nice as BLT is it just doesn't have that effect on me and almost leaves me feeling as if I a missing a little something from my vacation. Now will that stop me from staying there? Heck no! LoL

Congrats on the purchase. I do see another DVC contract in your future. If I have to guess, it will be AKV.

One thing I learned about DVC is no one knows what their favorite is until they try out 4 or 5 different resorts. Also, kids will grow older and what they love about a resort probably may not match what you love.

For me and my wife, "the door", washer and dryer, walking to a park and a separate bathroom from the kids are very important. The kids care about none of that. They like animals and a community center.

Congrats @Disn3yVision. You bought into Poly for a lot of the same reasons as us. We're very happy with our decision.

As some indicated, if you want Poly, you may as well buy direct since the resale market for Poly is limited and the process isn't worth the "discount." For us, Poly was the only home resort we were interested in. Again, for many of the reasons you addressed. I wasn't concerned about the price point. So, I made the purchased when I decided it was the right time. I also liked buying direct to get exactly what works for our needs (point, UY, etc.). I realize other DVC members disagree with this logic. But, everyone has differing priorities when making a purchase.

Welcome home and cheers to many years of memories with your family.

Last edited:
I'm very interested in what will happen to people who buy resale going forward as an addition to points they've bought either direct or resale pre-rule change. We have 200 points at AKV which have luckily been grandfathered in, and our eventual move would be to add 100 more allowing for a week in a grand villa q2-years. The most favorable theory I've read revolves around the pre-existing status of a "member", meaning that merely having bought prior to the rule change affords you a membership card and the associated privileges regardless of what type of points you buy going forward. Hopefully will be true, otherwise I may fall as they intend right into their lap by spending >5k more than necessary by purchasing the additional 100 points direct.

I'm very interested in what will happen to people who buy resale going forward as an addition to points they've bought either direct or resale pre-rule change. We have 200 points at AKV which have luckily been grandfathered in, and our eventual move would be to add 100 more allowing for a week in a grand villa q2-years. The most favorable theory I've read revolves around the pre-existing status of a "member", meaning that merely having bought prior to the rule change affords you a membership card and the associated privileges regardless of what type of points you buy going forward. Hopefully will be true, otherwise I may fall as they intend right into their lap by spending >5k more than necessary by purchasing the additional 100 points direct.
Disney has been pretty solid with the grandfathering of old contracts though. It's no guarantee, but I imagine they will continue to do that on any changes going forward.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter