Why some don't like to mobile order?

Honestly I don't recall EVER being able to walk up and see food before I ordered it other than popcorn or pretzels at kiosks. It's all prepared not only behind a counter but also a wall with merely a window through it.

You're exactly right - you'd have to stalk the mobile order section or wander around windows of the restaurants to see what the food looks like.
Same. I had no idea wanting to see the food before ordering was “a thing”.

Maybe they're thinking of the large overhead menus that (sometimes) show pictures of the food? If so, it's kind of a moot point because the app has the same photos.
And if you're using a tablet instead of a phone, you can actually see the picture. :)

Just because you go to the register doesn't mean you'll get your food immediately, at least right now*. They can tell you to come back if they're swamped. That's just usually not the case.

They could, but I really don't think that the cashiers have a way to access what time slot is currently available. That is probably one of the main reasons why they are pushing mobile order so much. Limiting how many orders come in at one time helps the kitchen out tremendously. Not to mention that it allows for everyone to have a table.

If Disney gave people the choice to mobile order or order face to face, there would likely be enough people ordering face to face at busy times to eliminate any time benefit. It would only be a problem if Disney continued to push mobile ordering as the main way to order. Kind of like fast pass vs. the stand by line.

I don't take your meaning. I was saying that with mobile order, the program is set up to only allow so many orders in any given time. If you throw walk ups into the mix, that adds an unknown amount of people into the system. Right now, everyone that order their food and hits "I'm here" are going to get their food come out pretty quickly and they will have a table available to sit at. If you add a bunch of walk ups, that increases the amount of time to prepare the food(because there will be more people) and there is a chance that the dining room fills up. Pretty much like is used to be where people are walking around with trays of food. I would also love to keep it where you can not go in unless your food is ready. I think we are all pretty much sick of those people that take up the table before they even order their food.

I don't take your meaning.
I was referring to your comments about people trying to cut ahead of the line by ordering in person. If ordering in person was a regular option there wouldn't be any time advantage in ordering in person.

As for limiting capacity in restaurants, Disney has been limiting capacity in stores on property since they re-opened, with cast members at each entrance. There's no reason they couldn't do something similar at restaurants, & come up some kind of balance between walk ups an mobile orders. Kind of like fast pass (mobile orders) and a stand by line (walk ups).

I was referring to your comments about people trying to cut ahead of the line by ordering in person. If ordering in person was a regular option there wouldn't be any time advantage in ordering in person.

As for limiting capacity in restaurants, Disney has been limiting capacity in stores on property since they re-opened, with cast members at each entrance. There's no reason they couldn't do something similar at restaurants, & come up some kind of balance between walk ups an mobile orders. Kind of like fast pass (mobile orders) and a stand by line (walk ups).

That is true. Since they have someone at the door anyway, they could just limit the number of people in line at any one time.

On seeing the food, once you are inside you see the food that other people are picking up and eating. Doesn't everyone look around inside the first time you go someplace to see "What looks good" That might explain the smaller portions now. Once you get it, you are stuck. You can't look around and see people picking up sparsely filled plates.

I think we are all pretty much sick of those people that take up the table before they even order their food.

Yes! Assuming they even DO eat anything!

In past times, I've observed a group sitting at a table, no food, no drinks. We had ordered and my dad and sister were waiting on the trays while my mom and I looked for a table. Because there was no food/drinks, we politely asked if they were done and they said they were waiting on their food also. We thanked them and moved to another table that was in process of being vacated in the same general area. Dad and Sis came with our food, and we ate. We don't dawdle, but we're not "shove it in and dash" either, (and while the place was busy, it was not THIS busy that a line would have taken this long) and this group was still sitting, without food and without any other person coming up to join them when we finished and left. This as other parties walked around with trays of food, looking for a place to sit. So obnoxious!!

Last edited:
To Mobile or Not, I was leery of mobile ordering on our last trip right after thanksgiving when we did a resort only at AK and spent our days at universal. My experience with mobile ordering at DLR had been nothing but bad since it was rolled out. Orders would error out and we wouldn't get confirmations after multiple tries but yet got charged for every time we tried to submit an order. Putting in an order and confirming "I am here" only to wait an additional 45 minutes past my window.

We had a good experience with the one order we did at Sanaa. Our next trip is in September and after reading 11 pages of why or why not it seems like I have no choice but to no mobile order. My husbands diet has changed tremendously since our last trip and he no longer eats sugars unless it's natural because of health issues. He also has to eat about ever 4 hours due to his weight loss surgery. I'd be glad to set up mobile orders every four hours to make sure we're getting him his meals on time but if the ingredient lists are not sufficient on the app then we have no choice but to order in person and if we're then told we have to wait for 2 hours because others have put in their mobile orders before us that is not fair to us as Disney has created the issue of us being required to order in person.

To Mobile or Not, I was leery of mobile ordering on our last trip right after thanksgiving when we did a resort only at AK and spent our days at universal. My experience with mobile ordering at DLR had been nothing but bad since it was rolled out. Orders would error out and we wouldn't get confirmations after multiple tries but yet got charged for every time we tried to submit an order. Putting in an order and confirming "I am here" only to wait an additional 45 minutes past my window.

We had a good experience with the one order we did at Sanaa. Our next trip is in September and after reading 11 pages of why or why not it seems like I have no choice but to no mobile order. My husbands diet has changed tremendously since our last trip and he no longer eats sugars unless it's natural because of health issues. He also has to eat about ever 4 hours due to his weight loss surgery. I'd be glad to set up mobile orders every four hours to make sure we're getting him his meals on time but if the ingredient lists are not sufficient on the app then we have no choice but to order in person and if we're then told we have to wait for 2 hours because others have put in their mobile orders before us that is not fair to us as Disney has created the issue of us being required to order in person.

I really wouldn't worry too much about it - assuming that you're allowed in to order at the register (which I think you will be, since your need is health related), I've never heard of anyone being asked to wait to order. It may have happened, but I doubt it's common.

And just in general, those times when people are unable to get a mobile order window for a couple of hours are at the busiest CS places, and also at the busiest times. Just don't try for Woody's Lunchbox at 12:00 and I think you'll be fine.

assuming that you're allowed in to order at the register (which I think you will be, since your need is health related), I've never heard of anyone being asked to wait to order.

It wasn't exactly being asked to "wait to order" but being told (and given the line waiting to order in person that I saw I believe it) that it would be about a 30 minute wait to order in person at Restaurontasaurus last week. I'm just gluten-free so was able to use the mobile order but multiple people walked up with some non-allergy reason they "had" to order in person. There was a line waiting, and it looked like the way it was working was that someone would order and another would not be taken until that previous order was being taken from the pick-up area to prevent the crowding that would happen in past times where the cashiers were taking orders far faster than the kitchen was getting them up.

It wasn't exactly being asked to "wait to order" but being told (and given the line waiting to order in person that I saw I believe it) that it would be about a 30 minute wait to order in person at Restaurontasaurus last week. I'm just gluten-free so was able to use the mobile order but multiple people walked up with some non-allergy reason they "had" to order in person. There was a line waiting, and it looked like the way it was working was that someone would order and another would not be taken until that previous order was being taken from the pick-up area to prevent the crowding that would happen in past times where the cashiers were taking orders far faster than the kitchen was getting them up.

Good to know, thanks. That's the first real world experience of that situation that I've heard about.

The poster I was replying too was worried that they would be asked to wait 2 hours to order at a register, hopefully that would never happen.

Hi all, so do you order/pay before you press Im here prep my order or is it when you pay it auto starts the order? And do you press Im here when you arrive at the location, or should you do it in advance a certain amount of time before heading over?

Hi all, so do you order/pay before you press Im here prep my order or is it when you pay it auto starts the order? And do you press Im here when you arrive at the location, or should you do it in advance a certain amount of time before heading over?
You order, pay, and select a pick up time. When you are close to the restaurant press I'm here and they'll prepare your order. I've found that it usually takes about 10 minutes, although it can be longer when busy or shorter, if it's an easy order

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter