why should i still be a dvc owner

We were also paying for cast who were sitting at home. Again, I agree with the decision but DVC did not cut owners a break for that specific decision. Im not talking about what it took to run the place when it was closed.

Lawyers werent involved with the point charts last time because they were called out on it and retracted. If they werent called on it they werent going to change it. Something similar is going on with the newly released charts this year where they are creating points.

Dvc did not help everyone when things were shut down. I was one where I was told use them or they would expire and basically that I should have known better. It was pretty much the most undisney response I had ever received. No extension for a few months, no exception. Many others were in the same boat.

We, as owners, contract with TWDC to provide the workers at the resort, and we agreed to let DVMC be the management company, knowing how hard it is to get rid of them.

So, you can certainly disagree with the decisions that a private company made. And, if you question that the credit for VGC for the shut down doesn’t mesh, I believe you have the right to see the books.

I do agree with you that allowing inconsistent extensions during this time, was not right. Yes, there has always been pixie dust given, and DVCM has the right to make exceptions based on the terms of the Home Resort Rules and Regulations, but given the magnitude of 2020, it should have been consistent and not up to the squeaky wheel getting something more..especially when all squeaky wheels did not.

In terms of points charts, we will agree to disagree about the notion that they have done something illegal but again, those that do should be in contact with them and whomever else they need to to hold them accountable if they have proof it has been done.

Again, the changes that have happened are on the WDW side and if it means that it’s no longer a place that makes sense for vacation, then it will be frustrating to remain a DVC owner and people need to reevaluate the pros and cons of it all.

Last edited:
Oh my word....
It’s not about DVC cuts, it’s about Disney cuts.
There is a thread here on The Dis, somewhere, about things never to be seen at WDW again.
1) Pleasure Island (Kungaloosh)
2) Swan Boats
3) Tapestry of Nations
4) The Fife & Drum at Epcot USA
5) Horizons
6) ....
7) .....
8, 9, 10....

The list goes on.
Point is that WDW is NOT what it once was.

You Poly owners got the shaft IMO. The putting green instead of the lush river, and all those bungalows.... Not to mention the waterfall. I truly hope the redo is better.
Dang how we miss PI! What a fun place it was back in the day!

Or you could just rework the contract to fit the times like every other business in America. Instead they chose to ditch the contract and keep the guests money (non dvc... but ive got a bridge to sell you if you think we will ever see that refund).
things need to be continued to be cut, or prices need to continue to rise (or some combination of the two) for crowds to ever start to thin out. if 150000 people want to get into a place that holds 100000 at $100/person, you raise the price to $125 and see what happens. now 125000 want in...? raise prices to $150. still full...? cut some free stuff and see what happens. the same people who complain about crowd sizes complain about prices and lack of free stuff. you have to choose...are you ok with crowd sizes and the prices being where they are, or are you willing to pay a whole lot more for a less crowded experience? disney was the only company that would pick you up from the airport and deliver you to your hotel for free. now, disney asks you to find your way to your hotel on your own...just like every other hotel in town. seems like a fine business decision to me. yes, its nice to be an industry leader on something. but to say they are doing something unreasonable when they are just following the industry standard is a major overreaction. "or you could just rework the contract to fit the times like every other business in america" can easily be reworked into "businesses raise prices and cut perks at times. either choose a new business for your patronage or change with the times like every other thing in american history". we are in the camp where we want them to keep raising prices. we would rather prices rise instead of free stuff be cut, but whatever. like, we would rather ice cream stayed a half gallon and makers raise prices than keep trimming the carton size. we hate crowds and hate how expensive disney is, but arent stopping going so are fans of price increases (since we cant physically keep excess people out, nor feel entitled to). when something is too in demand, you have to price some people out. we love going to football games, but have been priced out. prices got to a point where we made the decision that the prices werent worth a three hour show in our opinion. however, we arent on football boards complaining about the price of tickets. football tickets are where the market will bear, and it happens to be above a number we are comfortable with...oh well, we can spend our entertainment money elsewhere. disney raises prices (or cuts perks) because they have an excess of people wanting in at current prices. anyone saying "well thats it for me, im going somewhere else" like its a bad result is not getting the point...the whole point is to get some people to say that.

Dvc did not help everyone when things were shut down. I was one where I was told use them or they would expire and basically that I should have known better. It was pretty much the most undisney response I had ever received. No extension for a few months, no exception. Many others were in the same boat.
I’ll be honest, I am completely ok with DVC’s decision to not allow many people to bank their points. The vast majority of people in that situation were those who were already past their banking window with no trips planned between their banking window and upcoming UY. Why would Disney help those people by allowing them to bank? Those members had already let the banking window come and go and had no plans to use those points before the end of their UY. Was DVC supposed to bail them out from their lack of point management, simply because of the COVID shutdown? The people who were allowed to bank were those who were past their banking window but had a trip on the books. Those people should be helped out by DVC because they were actively trying to use those points.

And then there were people who still could have banked their points when the parks shut down, but instead decided to wait and see how things unfolded because they had trips coming up. Then they went past their banking window and somehow expected DVC to swoop in and take care of them. I am all for those people losing their points. They had the opportunity to bank them well into the shutdown. Those people rolled the dice...and lost.

I understand losing points is not a great feeling. But DVC had to draw a line in the sand somewhere. I personally thought their resolution was a fair one, and one that took future room inventory into consideration. Again, they are never going to make 100% of the people happy 100% of the time. You obviously do not feel this way, but I do feel that DVC/Disney is not out to get everyone and tries to make fair decisions.

Last edited:

I’ll be honest, I am completely ok with DVC’s decision to not allow many people to bank their points. The vast majority of people in that situation were those who were already past their banking window with no trips planned between their banking window and upcoming UY. Why would Disney help those people by allowing them to bank? Those members had already let the banking window come and go and had no plans to use those points before the end of their UY. Was DVC supposed to bail them out from their lack of point management, simply because of the COVID shutdown? The people who were allowed to bank were those who were past their banking window but had a trip on the books. Those people should be helped out by DVC because they were actively trying to use those points.

And then there were people who still could have banked their points when the parks shut down, but instead decided to wait and see how things unfolded because they had trips coming up. Then they went past their banking window and somehow expected DVC to swoop in and take care of them. I am all for those people losing their points. They had the opportunity to bank them well into the shutdown. Those people rolled the dice...and lost.

I understand losing points is not a great feeling. But DVC had to draw a line in the sand somewhere. I personally thought their resolution was a fair one, and one that took future room inventory into consideration. Again, they are never going to make 100% of the people happy 100% of the time. You obviously do not feel this way, but I do feel that DVC/Disney is not out to get everyone and tries to make fair decisions.

For owners of VGC, different exceptions should have been done and some VGC owners were indeed allowed to get extensions when others were not.

I agree that the decisions made for WDW resorts made sense and they even gave AUL owners some different exceptions because it didn’t open later.

For the most part, DVC was consistent with owners at WDW in how they handled it...not true for VGC owners who are still dealing with a closed resort,

For owners of VGC, different exceptions should have been done and some VGC owners were indeed allowed to get extensions when others were not.

I agree that the decisions made for WDW resorts made sense and they even gave AUL owners some different exceptions because it didn’t open later.

For the most part, DVC was consistent with owners at WDW in how they handled it...not true for VGC owners who are still dealing with a closed resort,
Aha...I didn't know that. I don't really keep up with VGC news. I primarily followed the WDW news. Thanks for the info. Yes, that stinks for VGC owners.

? What are you talking about. There is a large contingent of people who had vacations booked in November at Grand Californian. Disney chose to wait until 2? Weeks before hand to cancel those vacations and was then literally blaming guests for not knowing better and canceling on their own. On top of that they were telling select groups of this situation to pound sand when it came to any sort of exceptions.

things need to be continued to be cut, or prices need to continue to rise (or some combination of the two) for crowds to ever start to thin out. if 150000 people want to get into a place that holds 100000 at $100/person, you raise the price to $125 and see what happens. now 125000 want in...? raise prices to $150. still full...? cut some free stuff and see what happens. the same people who complain about crowd sizes complain about prices and lack of free stuff. you have to choose...are you ok with crowd sizes and the prices being where they are, or are you willing to pay a whole lot more for a less crowded experience? disney was the only company that would pick you up from the airport and deliver you to your hotel for free. now, disney asks you to find your way to your hotel on your own...just like every other hotel in town. seems like a fine business decision to me. yes, its nice to be an industry leader on something. but to say they are doing something unreasonable when they are just following the industry standard is a major overreaction. "or you could just rework the contract to fit the times like every other business in america" can easily be reworked into "businesses raise prices and cut perks at times. either choose a new business for your patronage or change with the times like every other thing in american history". we are in the camp where we want them to keep raising prices. we would rather prices rise instead of free stuff be cut, but whatever. like, we would rather ice cream stayed a half gallon and makers raise prices than keep trimming the carton size. we hate crowds and hate how expensive disney is, but arent stopping going so are fans of price increases (since we cant physically keep excess people out, nor feel entitled to). when something is too in demand, you have to price some people out. we love going to football games, but have been priced out. prices got to a point where we made the decision that the prices werent worth a three hour show in our opinion. however, we arent on football boards complaining about the price of tickets. football tickets are where the market will bear, and it happens to be above a number we are comfortable with...oh well, we can spend our entertainment money elsewhere. disney raises prices (or cuts perks) because they have an excess of people wanting in at current prices. anyone saying "well thats it for me, im going somewhere else" like its a bad result is not getting the point...the whole point is to get some people to say that.

Other hotels do provide shuttles. Those that dont also arent charging $700 a night for a standard room. Disney also isnt coming close to regularly filling up at current prices...as a matter of fact, they literally never have. Will in shrink crowds? Sure but so will charging a million dollars a day. Youve ultimately proven the point that it is not longer about the guest experience which is part of.what most are getting at.

? What are you talking about. There is a large contingent of people who had vacations booked in November at Grand Californian. Disney chose to wait until 2? Weeks before hand to cancel those vacations and was then literally blaming guests for not knowing better and canceling on their own. On top of that they were telling select groups of this situation to pound sand when it came to any sort of exceptions.
Yeah, I was referring to the WDW resort contracts. Admittedly, I am not as schooled on the VGC situation with regards to how the policies affected expiring points.

I just feel like DVC members have more to lose from not being allowed APs though. We are committed to staying at their resorts (outside the option of renting out or banking points). I understand it would seem unfair to locals but I don’t think most DVC members would be in the park as frequently as locals generally, thus not contributing to capacity issues the way locals might.

Hey, if you are a local and want an AP, consider DVC LOL!
The problem is I would venture to guess most people locals who get APs are already DVC members, so it would result in the same problem.

The problem is I would venture to guess most people locals who get APs are already DVC members, so it would result in the same problem.
I do know some local APers are DVC Members, but far from most. I have absolutely zero data to back that up however.

I do know some local APers are DVC Members, but far from most. I have absolutely zero data to back that up however.
I don't know either, I am referring to in Florida, not in California. Out here in California most AP holders are not DVC members as far as I can tell.

Here’s a fun figure. I am going to Disney from Dec 18 through the 25’th. Seven nights in a 2 BR and BRV. Total cost through Disney is $17,280.00. My dues for this hotel stay is $2,470.00. I paid $24,000 for 300 points at BRV, and this is only one trip. This is why I am still a DVC owner

Sorry I'll download grammar link later. I bought in 1994 OKW when the castle was a birthday cake. I saw the big picture I wanted everything and more disney had to offer. If I wanted just a room, I could have saved a lot of cash & stayed just outside downtown disney.

We joined DVC because we wanted at room right outside a PARK. LOL - I was only after the room and I didn't want AK (which we own), WL, OKW or SSR. The better half was after BL, which we bought and I was after the BC (which we finally own) or BW. That's so funny.

I can't believe you bought when the castle was a cake - that was one big turn off for me - I was so disappointed when I saw that.

We joined DVC because we wanted at room right outside a PARK. LOL - I was only after the room and I didn't want AK (which we own), WL, OKW or SSR. The better half was after BL, which we bought and I was after the BC (which we finally own) or BW. That's so funny.

I can't believe you bought when the castle was a cake - that was one big turn off for me - I was so disappointed when I saw that.
I believe that the Birthday Cake castle was in 1996 for Disneyworlds 25’th birthday

I believe that the Birthday Cake castle was in 1996 for Disneyworlds 25’th birthday

We rescheduled our September '20 trip to September '21 and I hope that is not a mistake with the 50th Celebration. I keep thinking I should move it to earlier in September.

Here’s a fun figure. I am going to Disney from Dec 18 through the 25’th. Seven nights in a 2 BR and BRV. Total cost through Disney is $17,280.00. My dues for this hotel stay is $2,470.00. I paid $24,000 for 300 points at BRV, and this is only one trip. This is why I am still a DVC owner

I see this comparison a lot. Would you have stayed in the same accommodation if you'd been paying cash? Before DVC, we stayed in moderate resorts. We did stay in a Contemporary Garden Wing room once, but otherwise Port Orleans (Dixie Landing) and Coronado have been our cash stay picks. Even post DVC if staying on cash we've stayed at a moderate.

I'm fully aware that I save money comparably to what I'd spend on the same accommodations, But do I break even to what I'd spend if I hadn't purchased (which I know is unfair because then it's not a like comparison in room type/amenities). We have a trip coming up in March and our "cost" for the BCV 1-Bedroom we have would be:
  • Dues on points: $2,657 (does not account for purchase price on top of dues)
  • Cash rate: $9,588
  • Rental rate: $7,315 (renting points through a 3rd party)
  • Cash 35% off rate: $6,236 (which really isn't available - no discounted rates offered as of today)
As comparison, a 2 queen room at Coronado is:
  • Cash rate: $2,813
  • Cash 35% off rate: $2,110 (which is really only 25% as the discount is "up to" 35%)

So, I am getting an extra room, larger bathroom, and a kitchen for about the same as I'd pay normally at Coronado but at a premium for the current available discounts. So for us, I believe DVC is more expensive, but we're getting accommodations and amenities we wouldn't otherwise get.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter