Why Should I Buy an iPad?

MIGrandma

Lives in the middle-of-the-mitten.
I'm thinking about buying a tablet, so started looking at them and there is such a price difference from $79 for a basic tablet up to $500 for an iPad. So, what is so special about an iPad and why should I choose that over a less expensive tablet? I mean, the $79 has internet access, stores music and photos, etc. So why spend so much more to get an iPad?

I admit that I am probably the last person who should comment here, but my DS and DSIL have both told me that before I make any technical purchase, I should think about what I am going to use it for. Really think about it. And then check out the capabilities of the devices that I am considering. Compare the capabilities to what I will actually use it for, so that I don't confuse that it can do with what the use will be. No sense in paying for bells and whistles I will never use.

So, what would you use the tablet or Ipad for? I have a Nook tablet and absolutely loved that brand new HD+ thing that is now offered, but realistically, I don't need the extras on that device. My DD takes hers to school and uses it like her laptop. She has almost replaced her laptop with the tablet. If I ever start hauling my laptop to school, I will reevaluate an upgrade.

I admit that I am probably the last person who should comment here, but my DS and DSIL have both told me that before I make any technical purchase, I should think about what I am going to use it for. Really think about it. And then check out the capabilities of the devices that I am considering. Compare the capabilities to what I will actually use it for, so that I don't confuse that it can do with what the use will be. No sense in paying for bells and whistles I will never use.

So, what would you use the tablet or Ipad for? I have a Nook tablet and absolutely loved that brand new HD+ thing that is now offered, but realistically, I don't need the extras on that device. My DD takes hers to school and uses it like her laptop. She has almost replaced her laptop with the tablet. If I ever start hauling my laptop to school, I will reevaluate an upgrade.

I like this post :), 100% behind it.

I'll just add one important detail: the Touch Screen. On some of the cheapest tablets the response time is just waaaaaaaaay too slow. Angry Birds game is a good game to test that part out. If it "sticks" and delays the action, it would not get the tablet. Not necessarily to play the game, but it would simply drive me crazy being so slow to respond. :headache:

You don't necessarily NEED to buy an iPad - there are actually a few decent Android tablets on the market these days. If you decide to get an Android device, make sure what you get runs a newish version of the operating system. Some cheap tablets are running old crappy versions that stink.

That $79 one isn't one of the good ones. I don't even need to look at it to tell you that. It's going to have substandard hardware, run horribly, and frustrate you to the point where you regret buying it and don't want to use it.

The iPad is going to have the best integration of the operating system with relatively high quality hardware, meaning a responsive touch screen and generally high usability. Those decent Android tablets I mentioned will accomplish similar levels of responsiveness and usability.

Something like a Kindle Fire or in the similar price range (~$200) might be good for you if you want to balance price with usability. Plus, Amazon has a huge library of digital content available basically for free if you're a Prime subscriber.

Finally, like a PP said, consider why you want a tablet. But don't go too cheap, you will regret it, I promise you that.

Finally, like a PP said, consider why you want a tablet. But don't go too cheap, you will regret it, I promise you that.

I also think that if you do not have a strong technical base knowledge, do not be too proud to talk to someone who can guide you. Before I bought my laptop I sent the specs to my son so he could evaluate the capability vs the cost. Cost and value do not always go hand in hand when you are comparing electronic devices so having someone who not only understands what each device has and also know what you want that device to accomplish is a good idea.

I don't know about any of the other tablets but I can tell you that we have an iPad 2 and a new iPad mini. I honestly can't tell the difference between the two other than size and traveling with the mini is easier because it fits in my purse.

Also, my mother has a new iPad and I don't seethe big difference from that one to our iPad 2. Something about retina (sp?) display is the only difference that I know but I don't notice it at all. It may be that if you decide to go with an iPad you could get a iPad 2 cheaper.

I'm not a tech person at all and just use ours for email and to get on the Internet, but I do love the ease of the iPad. Even my mother thinks its easy and she's in her mid 60's.

I think you have to figure out what you want to do with a tablet. Why do you want to buy one? Do you plan to use it in replacement of a laptop or just a "toy"?

I've never really wanted an IPAD and told my husband this over and over. Well being the man that halfway listens he brings me home a Nook HD+ a couple weeks ago. It is pretty nice but again I don't know WHY I need it. His thinking was I could start using that in place of dragging the laptop with me all over the country, which of course I can.

I will say I really like that my nook tablet has a SD card slot to save documents and movies. But honestly, I don't know that I will ever stream movies/tv shows on this thing. I've never played one of the "in" games like angry birds or candy crush. I don't have facebook or twitter. I just don't know I will get full capability out of it.

In my husband's defense he also bought me the nook because my first generation was about to die and he thought if he was going to buy me a new he might as well go all out well as much as I would want.

Go play with the different tablets. Think about how you will use it. Are you planning to carry it in your purse or throw around in the car? Will it replace something? Just think about why you want it and go do your research.

I also think that if you do not have a strong technical base knowledge, do not be too proud to talk to someone who can guide you. Before I bought my laptop I sent the specs to my son so he could evaluate the capability vs the cost. Cost and value do not always go hand in hand when you are comparing electronic devices so having someone who not only understands what each device has and also know what you want that device to accomplish is a good idea.

With electronics, there is often a strong correlation between cost and quality. Not always, but most of the time you get what you pay for. A $200 laptop is almost always going to be horrible, as will that $79 tablet, unless your expectations are so low that you've got to dig to China to find them.

But yes, definitely don't be afraid to talk to people with more technical knowledge. Just make sure they're aware that they're trying to meet YOUR needs, not theirs. I've seen too many people whose teenagers helped them buy a computer and they ended up with a $2000 gaming rig that they use to go on Facebook.

I decided recently to get a tablet. Knew I wanted a 7 inch one (so it would fit in my purse) and would use it to read books, access the internet when away from home and play some simple games. I quickly eliminated the IPod from my list because of the cost. I narrowed it down to Kindle HD, Nook HD and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. I quickly eliminated Nook because of the association with Barnes & Noble and my son thought that was a negative. They were all available for about $199. I went with the Samsung for no particular reason and I have been happy with it. It's easy to use. (I don't even have a smart phone.) I'm still discovering things I can use it for. I have to say that I am not crazy about the Disboards mobile version and seldom use that.

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I'm thinking about buying a tablet, so started looking at them and there is such a price difference from $79 for a basic tablet up to $500 for an iPad. So, what is so special about an iPad and why should I choose that over a less expensive tablet? I mean, the $79 has internet access, stores music and photos, etc. So why spend so much more to get an iPad?

Yes, the $79 table may have internet access, store music and photos, etc, but I guarantee you it won't do any of it well. What company makes it? How well do they support it? Can you get technical help if you need it? Will they even be in business in a year? How many apps are available for it? How do you get the music and photos into it? Will whatever software they use to transfer music/photos work with your PC? Your version of Windows, or the MacOs?

I agree with the PPs - when buying a computing device like a smartphone, tablet, you always, always, always start with "What am I going to do with this thing?"

Stop shopping for now, and make a list of the tasks you plan to perform on a tablet. Once you've got that nailed down, you start looking for tablets that can do those things. You read reviews, and lots of them. Both pro reviews, and customer reviews.

An important thing to consider:

"apps" , or applications, are the working parts of your tablet. They're like the programs on your computer. The apps that are available for your tablet determine what you can do with it.

When you buy a tablet, you are tied to the manufacturers app store. For instance, the Nexus tablet use Google Play. iPads use Apple's App Store. The Kindle tablets have their own store. Microsoft's Surface table has its own store. You can't use apps from the Google Play store on the iPad, for instance. So it's very important to choose the tablet that has the apps you want, and a good variety in their app store.

As an example, there was a question on the DIS awhile back from someone who had bought some either a Windows phone or tablet, I forget which. They were trying to find out how to get to Apple's App Store on it, so they could get the My Disney Experience app. Well, she was out of luck, because you can't get to another manufacturer's app store from a Windows device, and the MDE app doesn't even exist for the Windows phones/tablets. It's Apple/Amazon/Google only.

My aunt bought herself a cheap tablet thinking it would be sufficient as she mainly does email, Facebook and a few games. But she had the problems mentioned above by PPs. She is the antithesis of techie. The cheap Android tablet she purchased sits on a shelf because she can't even give it away. She now has an iPad and loves the ease of use.

I want an iPad but I'd want a data plan to go with it as there is no wifi at my work and boring days are when I would mostly want to use it. So I'll stick with my iPhone until we get wifi out here in the sticks! LOL

DH got me an iPad for my birthday last year, and I love it. However, I am a very frugal person so there is NO WAY I would have bought it for myself. Probably would get a Samsung tablet or a Kindle Fire.

I have an iPad and I absolutely love it. It has nearly eliminated my need for a laptop. I use it for everything (seriously, I even use it as a remote control for our tv and satellite). It's quick to react, almost never crashes (and when it does, it is quick to reload, including everything you had running at the time). For me, the retina display on the newest model is definitely worth it because I like to watch videos, play games, and read, all of which are noticeably more clear than with the iPad 2. I like that the screen is big too. My mother in law has a Kindle Fire and going from my iPad to her Kindle is like filet mignon to stew meat (those $79 tablets would be pink slime, in this comparison).

I bought an iPad 2 when they were pretty new on the market. I bought it because we already have iphones, so I figured I'm sort of committed to using itunes for my apps. Also there wasn't a lot of good competitors on the market at the time.

Now when I replace this, I might go with a different tablet. I don't use a ton of apps on there, and I have always disliked the fact that there is no USB or memory card port (I do have the memory card adaptor, but I shouldn't have to!). That drives me nuts!!

My brother knows a little about computers and he has recommended the Nexus 7 or 10 as good tablet options.

We have 2 iPhones so the iPad Mini was a no-brainer. We are able to share apps across all 3 devices. When the iPad came out I thought, "What do I need that for? My iPhone works just fine." but then I bought the mini and I :love:it!

As many PPs have mentioned, it entirely depends on what you are going to use it for. My dad works in IT and so I always consult him before buying anything tech-related. He always goes over the specs with me and discusses what I want in the device I'm looking at buying and if it will be a good investment for me.

He bought me an Ipad Mini as my Christmas present last year and I love it. For me I use it primarily for entertainment value. I listen to music, basic internet surfing, apps, etc. I use it in essentially the same way that I use my phone, but it is big enough that I can read it, and small enough that I can put it in my purse.

My dad has a Windows Tablet. For him, it's a business savvy move. He can use it as a fully functional PC, which is something I don't and wouldn't use my Ipad for. He takes it with him for meetings, presentations, etc, and he can write on it and transmit to text. I don't need that functionality with my tablet. If I want to do something data heavy, I use my regular PC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter