• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why no lifeguards on beach?

donaldrees

Earning My Ears
Am on vacation with my in-laws and while we were on our way out for dinner he commented that he found it odd that Disney didn’t put lifeguards on the beach.

I had wanted to say that the beach is off Disney property, but clearly with all the activities and amenities provided by the resort there, that’s not the case.

I know it’s a public beach, but plenty of beaches in Hawaii have lifeguards like the north shore and the pipeline (even now when no waves are present). Lifeguards are stationed in Waikiki and Hanauma Bay. In similar situations, like Castaway Cay, they put lifeguards.

I was having a hard time coming up with the reason why Disney doesn’t have anyone stationed out there, though I’m sure there is one. Curious if anyone knows.

I know it’s a public beach, but plenty of beaches in Hawaii have lifeguards like the north shore and the pipeline (even now when no waves are present). Lifeguards are stationed in Waikiki and Hanauma Bay. In similar situations, like Castaway Cay, they put lifeguards.

I was having a hard time coming up with the reason why Disney doesn’t have anyone stationed out there, though I’m sure there is one. Curious if anyone knows.
It's a lot cheaper not to have any, both in terms of staffing and liability, if it's "swim at your own risk", rather than Disney providing lifeguards to patrol a public beach.

Castaway Cay is Disney's private island, open only to Disney guests and only for limited hours each day. That's a totally different situation than the stretch of public beach at Aulani.

Am on vacation with my in-laws and while we were on our way out for dinner he commented that he found it odd that Disney didn’t put lifeguards on the beach.

I had wanted to say that the beach is off Disney property, but clearly with all the activities and amenities provided by the resort there, that’s not the case.

Disney Vero Beach doesn't have lifeguards either. Enjoy Aulani, beautiful resort!:goodvibes

None of the quiet pools at WDW resorts have lifeguards either.

I agree with PP that it likely comes down to cost and liability. Anyone is free to use the beach and lagoon at Aulani, even those not staying at the resort. Being public, they can't limit the hours. And I don't think Four Seasons has lifeguards, so then they run the issue of what if someone was in trouble down by the Four Seasons?

The lagoons are ocean in technicality only. They are really extremely calm pools.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter