• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why does the Disney Dooney & Bourke line have to be so far outside my budget?

Unless you have a car, you are paying approximately $25 one way ($50 roundtrip) just to see what they have in stock. Realize they may not have the bag you desire, especially when you desire a Mickey bag in the Mickey headquarters of the US. You may be faced with a walll of funky green bags or worse yet a million "made for outlet" bags which equates to "we wouldn't sell it in a top (real) store, but if you suckers are willing to overpay for a bag simply because we slap a logo on it, then hey we are willing to suck your dollars and sell you a made for outlet product."

I live in SW Fl and go to Orlando every 6 weeks or so.. in fact, I do all my regular shopping in Orlando.. I don't like my malls. I am not a sucker.. and happen to only buy when on sale. Most of those "outlets" are not real "outlets" either....:lmao: many don't even realize that.. If I can get another DB for 40% off, I will. I purchase all my DD's Coach & DB's @ the outlet malls. I already own one Disney DB (given to me as a gift). I think I can spot a second that cannot be sold in a retail store if I came across one :goodvibes
Are you a sucker who stays on property? I'm not anymore? I spend my money on items I can keep and use year round..:thumbsup2 Thank you for your advice, but I do know my way around Orlando, the outlets as well as all the other shopping centers there.. like I said, I am there about every 6 weeks or so.. in my own car.. and only 3 hours from my house :thumbsup2 I also do my Black Friday shopping up in Orlando too... :goodvibes I start planning that sometime in Sept.. sucker no..far from it.. to each her own... :flower3:

No one that has responded has mentioned the disneystore.com, they often have them on sale there, I lucked out and found the one I wanted to give as a gift on sale with a bonus warehouse clearance sale for extra savings, I saved over $100 on that bag alone. You just have to know what they have in stock, what is on sale and check often to see if any specials sales are going on to save even more money.
For some reason, every time I try to order something online from there for the last year, I cannot. There is something with the settings on my computer & I cannot figure out what it is.. I really should call. I know over Black Friday there was an awesome deal on the D&B's and I could not get thru on the computer or the phones!! Yes, you are correct, they do have some deals on them.. I have seen some of the bags in the Disney outlets, but not any of the ones I wanted. They only ones I have seen were the material ones.. I don't like them.. you cannot clean them..

I have several Coach purses and D&Bs. All of them have held up well. I regularly pay a couple hundred dollars for my purses and I carry them everywhere I go and stuff them as much as they will hold.

I have never had one break. The one I carry now was bought over a year ago carried everyday and still looks new.

For some reason, every time I try to order something online from there for the last year, I cannot. There is something with the settings on my computer & I cannot figure out what it is.. I really should call. I know over Black Friday there was an awesome deal on the D&B's and I could not get thru on the computer or the phones!! Yes, you are correct, they do have some deals on them.. I have seen some of the bags in the Disney outlets, but not any of the ones I wanted. They only ones I have seen were the material ones.. I don't like them.. you cannot clean them..

I could only wish that the site wouldn't work for me :worship: I think I am on first name basis with the Fed Ex or UPS guys, in fact I have a package from Disney that will be here tomorrow, although its not D+B! But sometimes the deals are just too good to be true. I recently bought a large Tonal print D+B for about 1/2 the normal price, its put away as a gift for a friend!

I could only wish that the site wouldn't work for me :worship: I think I am on first name basis with the Fed Ex or UPS guys, in fact I have a package from Disney that will be here tomorrow, although its not D+B! But sometimes the deals are just too good to be true. I recently bought a large Tonal print D+B for about 1/2 the normal price, its put away as a gift for a friend!

That was how I use to be with TDS online.. then all of sudden, the computer would not let me.. maybe DH changed my settings :idea: :lmao:

As far as D&B and Coach.. I have gotten some really great deals in the outlets for them.. and they were not seconds either :thumbsup2 They were only last season's style. :thumbsup2 My DD's love Coach & D&B. I really only have the one D&B(Disney) that I use. The rest of my bags are all Disney bags, not name bags. My DD's are the ones with literally about 30-40 Coach & D&B bags combined between the 2 of them. I started buying them D&B about 7 years ago, then when they got older, they went to Coach (they also pay for them). They are now 18(almost 19) and 23.

The OP asked about the Disney purses, which are made mainly out of leatherette/plastic/fabric with leather trim. Just like Coach, DB sold out to the masses and now sells cheap purses that contain VERY little leather. A classic coach/DB is great, but most of the purses sold to the status seeking masses is garbage worthy of Wally World.

They are manufactored in China and cost less than 2 dollars to make. It really is overpriced cheap crap!! so don't feel bad that you cannot afford one, because they simply tell the world I have more money than sense!

I bought the 40th messenger bag and had to return it because the snap came off when I got it home. I did not even get to use it. :eek: my sisters handle fell off her cruise line bag after 2 months. I do not think they are well made for the price. I just bought a Harvey seatbelt purse (the Minnie one) and I love it. It was $130 with my AP discount and it is really well made. :thumbsup2

The OP asked about the Disney purses, which are made mainly out of leatherette/plastic/fabric with leather trim. Just like Coach, DB sold out to the masses and now sells cheap purses that contain VERY little leather. A classic coach/DB is great, but most of the purses sold to the status seeking masses is garbage worthy of Wally World.

I strongly disagree. I am very hard on my purses, and yet my D&B purse with the mickey balloons on it is in great shape after a year of continued use.

I too couldn't care less about status.:rotfl: I just liked the looks of the darned thing! Though I have to admit that I purchased it on-line during a sale, and with a free shipping code. It was still a good chunk of money, but not totally insane.

I am a hard core purse junkie and can honestly say that DB and Coach are some of the best bargains around. Both companies based in the USA have terrific "warranties" if you will on their purses. If a purse wears in a way that it shouldn't ...ie: peeling, flaking, colors running, you can call them and send them back. I have had bags replaced or full merchandise credits given for both companies. I had the barrel style DB bag with rainbow colored DB through the bag. The bag had some color transfer and I sent it back to them and they gave me the full credit for the bag for anything I wanted. I also had a metallic zebra bag that flaked (bought it at nordstrom rack for around $85) DB gave me credit for the original price around $300 even though I told them how much I actually paid. Higher end brands such as Gucci, Fendi and even Louis Vuitton do not stand behind their products at all and they are significantly more expensive.

I am totally not a designer-purse kind of person. I usually buy purses at Kohls or Penney's and use them for months and months. My best friend sent me the Disney Dooney tonal mail-bag style as a gift, knowing how much I love Mickey. I love using it in the parks. At Christmas last year my in-laws gave me a generous cash gift and a client from work gave me an overly generous Christmas gift/ tip/payment for helping him with something. I decided to save the money and spend it on myself and I bought myself a Sketch bag. I carry it every day and it makes me happy. While I would never spend my own household money on one, I did spend my splurge money on it and everyone tells me it's so cute and totally fits my personality. :)

I live in SW Fl and go to Orlando every 6 weeks or so.. in fact, I do all my regular shopping in Orlando.. I don't like my malls. I am not a sucker.. and happen to only buy when on sale. Most of those "outlets" are not real "outlets" either....:lmao: many don't even realize that.. If I can get another DB for 40% off, I will. I purchase all my DD's Coach & DB's @ the outlet malls. I already own one Disney DB (given to me as a gift). I think I can spot a second that cannot be sold in a retail store if I came across one :goodvibes
Are you a sucker who stays on property? I'm not anymore? I spend my money on items I can keep and use year round..:thumbsup2 Thank you for your advice, but I do know my way around Orlando, the outlets as well as all the other shopping centers there.. like I said, I am there about every 6 weeks or so.. in my own car.. and only 3 hours from my house :thumbsup2 I also do my Black Friday shopping up in Orlando too... :goodvibes I start planning that sometime in Sept.. sucker no..far from it.. to each her own... :flower3:
Not once did I say the bags in the Outlet were seconds, I said that the majority of bags in the outlet were "made for the outlet" and have never been carried in stores suchs as Nordstrom. Yes, every store has a small section of last year or discontinued bags, but the vast majority of the inventory in these outlets is "made for outlet" product.

Buy it! I have the black tassle bag that I have been carrying every day since Dec, 2009. I am VERY hard on purses, but this one still looks brand new! I had a great leather D&B purse that I carried every day for at least 15 years, until I got the Disney one. I think the Disney ones are well worth the money!

Mr. Bourke has a house up here where I work (I'm a teacher - but in the summer, I work with a private chef!) and we did a dinner for him once. He was, by far, the biggest jerk I've ever worked for. He has "little man syndrome" like you wouldn't believe. By the end of the evening, the chef I work with told me that we'd NEVER work for him again.

Prior to working for him, I really liked his bags - but his attitude is now my justification for not buying one! ;)

What about coupons and such from Macy's? Ours carries D&B - you might be able to get a good deal that way! :goodvibes

I have several Coach purses and D&Bs. All of them have held up well. I regularly pay a couple hundred dollars for my purses and I carry them everywhere I go and stuff them as much as they will hold.

I have never had one break. The one I carry now was bought over a year ago carried everyday and still looks new.

me too:)
i've about 200 bags: dooney, coach, kate spade, and a very few LV (not a big fan of LV same old styling).
they range from 10+ years old to (literally) last week. i have never had a single problem with a coach or D&B bag, some of which are from the outlets. not a single bad stitch, cracked leather, torn lining - literally absolutely nothing that would make them not last another 10-20+ years still looking great.
many are worn daily for months at a time (and i'm notorious for over-filling my bags, using them as min-carry-ons, briefcases, etc). every one is leather (the only plastic one i've ever seen in the outlets are the few obviously and intentionally plastic - never faux leather :confused3.) - and i shop at coach and D&B outlets about 3-4x a week.
any bag that can stand up to my purse abuse is worth the money :)
btw, of my many friends, many of whom enjoy and have quite a few coach and D&B bags, only 1 has ever had a problem. the patent leather on one became wrinkly and yukky after about 6 months - D&B replaced it. (btw, unlike the others, michael kors does not stand behind their bags. i know a few ppl who had zippers break, straps fail, and they will not replace or refund:mad:).
so if you want a bag that will last and last, yes, go for it :)

Another route is if you have a Discover card. If you go online they have a link to Disney store. If you purchase that way you ALSO get 5% back....I've done it many times!$

Not all of us buy Coach as a "status" symbol. I do it because I like some of the designs and they hold up very well. I typically buy my purses on sale at the outlet...I don't care if people are snubbing their nose at me (and I live/work in a VERY high income area--think 100K cars all over the place) I like my purse and it holds up.

If you can afford something and you like it, go for it. Don't worry about what others think.

Jill in CO

Not that I am enabling, but I just called the outlet in CT and they have the tonal brown, the cruise, and the black with Mickey shadows. No 55th anniversary bags. The Dooney outlet in IL had the tonal brown.

I bought the fabric pink and green Minnie Dooney and Bourke bag from the Disney Outlet in May and I love it. Yes, it is fabric, but that is okay with me. I have gotten many compliments on it. It is a great size as it holds all my stuff, plus those few extra kid things you always have on hand. At well under $100 I think I got a great deal! :goodvibes

Not once did I say the bags in the Outlet were seconds, I said that the majority of bags in the outlet were "made for the outlet" and have never been carried in stores suchs as Nordstrom. Yes, every store has a small section of last year or discontinued bags, but the vast majority of the inventory in these outlets is "made for outlet" product.

Very few are ever "made" for an outlet, they are either over runs (too many such as your wall of green bags), prior season, or they are irregulars. The irregulars would be stamped somewhere to let the buyer know. I am sorry for using the word "irregular". I chose to spend my money where I want for what I want..doesn't make me a sucker...
Do you stay onsite at Disney? ;)

Not that I am enabling, but I just called the outlet in CT and they have the tonal brown, the cruise, and the black with Mickey shadows. No 55th anniversary bags. The Dooney outlet in IL had the tonal brown.

I bought the fabric pink and green Minnie Dooney and Bourke bag from the Disney Outlet in May and I love it. Yes, it is fabric, but that is okay with me. I have gotten many compliments on it. It is a great size as it holds all my stuff, plus those few extra kid things you always have on hand. At well under $100 I think I got a great deal! :goodvibes

that is a great deal! but how do you clean the material ones??? that is why I like the others.. I take a damp cloth and wipe it clean.. then it looks good as new again. I thought the pink one was really cute and saw it in the Disney Outlet, actually thought about getting it, but then figured the way I throw my purse on the floor in the car, forget it.. it would get filthy!

I have the first Disney Dooney made, the black with Mickey figures tote, and one of the DCL totes. ONLY the first one has held up! The black one has the yellow stitching along the handles coming out and the DCL bag has the red strip on the handles peeling off. The bags with damage are less than a year old and have not been carried daily. Needless to say, I've bought my LAST Dooney.---Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter