Why does Old Key West get no love?

I agree with most of the "cons," particularly the lack of proximity to the parks. But here are a few "pros" from my perspective. (1) If I drive in for a weekend, I can park right next to my room. I like this. Easy unload of luggage and easily load up--far easier than Jambo or BLT, which are the other two resorts where I've stayed this summer. (2) Low on theming but it feels far more like a Disney resort than SSR. (3) Studios are far more spacious than other low-proint resorts. (4) It's usually very quiet. and (5) in terms of points, it's a very economical stay--beat out only by value studios at AKV, which are far smaller.

We absolutely loved it Dec 2021. So much so we have plans to add points when we get closer to retirement and spend a month-ish in a one bedroom. And we live in AZ so it’s not a snowbird thing. FWIW, We didn’t have a car and had no issues with the buses at all.

I miss Richyams! Thanks for quoting him!
We quote him at home all the time. Just the other day, I grabbed a paper towel, and DH asked me "Are you going to clean all the windows in a BWV villa?" Apparently Richyams had said that another advantage about the size of BWV besides that you could get a beer from the refrigerator without leaving the balcony was that you could clean all the windows in your villa with just one paper towel.

We quote him at home all the time. Just the other day, I grabbed a paper towel, and DH asked me "Are you going to clean all the windows in a BWV villa?" Apparently Richyams had said that another advantage about the size of BWV besides that you could get a beer from the refrigerator without leaving the balcony was that you could clean all the windows in your villa with just one paper towel.
That sounds like Richyams! I was always fascinated by his stories of riding up to the BWV portico in a limo.

I love OKW, though its been awhile since we stayed there. Whats not to love, peaceful and quiet, laid back vibe, Olivias is a good place, the store is awesome. My only downside is the lounge is a bit smallish but I think the intentions way back were for it to be a pool bar where you get your drink and hang out by the pool, not inside.

OKW is not my favorite place to stay, but we find ourselves there often. I do like the large rooms (we usually get a 1 or 2 bedroom), and it is a peaceful place.

I prefer a resort where DH and I can take a quick walk at night to grab a drink or bite to eat. We just stayed at BRV and we loved it there! That's an example of a resort where it was less than a 5 minute walk to do that. At OKW, there really isn't a place like that. The bar by the pool is so small and has no atmosphere. It's also quite a hike to the Hospitality House if you are in one of the far buildings.

I also like a smaller resort. OKW is too big and spread out for me. I would complain about the buses too, but we have generally stopped using them at every resort.

DVC for 30 years. OKW is something special. We like the way resort is spread. Yes more walking maybe. It was meant that you could feel like home. No big bars or restaurants so If you want that plenty of other options.

Surprised no one added lack of parking near the Hospitality House. We've had to park on Millers Road and walk to the HH or Olivia's.

That doesn't mean we don't stay there, they are just part of the list of tradeoffs (points, room size, availability, proximity to Disney Spring, Boat Ride, etc vs several items listed above).

I think that OKW divides into 2 camps.

A - those that book into a 1/2 Bedroom and have a car, or
B - those who stay in a studio, and/or do not have a car

Those in Group A are going to probably love OKW much more than those in Group B.

Quite honestly, I think having a car or not really affects perception of each resort. For instance AKV-Kidani is very car friendly whereas AKV-Jambo is not. Those that fly in probably prefer Jambo House, but I would wager that those that drive to WDW prefer Kidani...
Good post. I love okw. That and AKL are my two favourites. But we always rent a car. OKW without a car and when the busses are busy, it sucks. Huge difference as travel time to or from a park can be over an hour one way.

I love this thread because everyone's con's remind me of everything I love about OKW! I remember watching a resort tour on YouTube, and someone hated OKW because a "Florida-themed resort is a little on the nose since you're in Florida." To me, that's why I LOVE IT. I live in Michigan; if I'm going to Florida, I want Florida! I grew up staying at a family-friendly resort in Daytona Beach every year (Perrys - please tell me I'm not the only Perry's lover here!), and I brought my mom and sisters this winter on our trip. We all agreed it reminded us of Perrys, except it's not on the ocean ;)

The lack of dining options is acceptable because, with grocery delivery, we preferred to pool all day and then come back to the villa and make dinner. Eating out is a treat, then.

I look forward to using my points elsewhere eventually, but my kids now equate Disney with Old Key West, so every time I bring up staying someplace else, it just brings on tears.

I love this thread because everyone's con's remind me of everything I love about OKW! I remember watching a resort tour on YouTube, and someone hated OKW because a "Florida-themed resort is a little on the nose since you're in Florida." To me, that's why I LOVE IT. I live in Michigan; if I'm going to Florida, I want Florida! I grew up staying at a family-friendly resort in Daytona Beach every year (Perrys - please tell me I'm not the only Perry's lover here!), and I brought my mom and sisters this winter on our trip. We all agreed it reminded us of Perrys, except it's not on the ocean ;)

The lack of dining options is acceptable because, with grocery delivery, we preferred to pool all day and then come back to the villa and make dinner. Eating out is a treat, then.

I look forward to using my points elsewhere eventually, but my kids now equate Disney with Old Key West, so every time I bring up staying someplace else, it just brings on tears.
That's exactly how it was when our kids were growing up. My DD is 36 and DS 39 and the nostalgia runs deep every time they come with us and we stay at OKW.

Quite honestly, I think having a car or not really affects perception of each resort. For instance AKV-Kidani is very car friendly whereas AKV-Jambo is not. Those that fly in probably prefer Jambo House, but I would wager that those that drive to WDW prefer Kidani...

Jambo has no good markers for their very large parking lot. I can't tell you the number of times I've walked up this row than that, thinking I'm pretty sure my car is around here. Kidani is far more car friendly but lacks the large lodge lobby at Jambo, which is lovely at Christmastime.

Mind boggling to me. Over 500 nights - easily all at OKW except 3 days at SSR - hated it and 3 days in Poly Concierge due to a flooded room (very nice).

BWV are my home resort and I love it. That being said, I’ve stayed at OKW many times over the years. I’ve stayed there solo as well as with family and friends. We’ll be there this November. Each resort has some good and not so good things. Your vacation is what you make it.

The first time we stayed at OKW I said I never again. We didn't have a car and were not near the HH. It rained the entire weekend and Covid restrictions were in full swing. No boats, reduced restaurant service, etc. I lost a year of my life waiting on buses.

I ate my words when we needed a quick one night add on a few years later. I finally saw some of the charm when you can be close to the HH and didn't need the bus service. The evening was lovely waiting for our boat to DS. To be honest I'd still rather fork out the extra points for SSR preferred but would be willing to consider this again.

We just booked a last minute trip and all that was available was SSR. It was ok, but the 5 bus stops were a deal breaker for ever staying there again. That was until they moved someone with a “service dog” in next door. I get that some people need a service animal- but most likely if you do… you don’t lock them in room and leave for the day. Leaving it barking non stop (yes NON STOP). So they moved us to OKW. We liked it much better than SSR. I love quiet and that it was. So peaceful and pretty. But again- 5 stops just to get out of the resort. We have decided to stick with our home resorts ( poly and AKL), and if they aren’t available because we are looking too late….we will wait. But I will say OKW was much nicer than I expected

One of the best perks to staying near HH is that you have easy access to the first bus stop to pick up and the first bus stop to drop off, and the last bus stop before leaving too. The stop at Peninsular road is a short and easy walk from HH, so you always have two bus stops available.

I really like the first set of buildings on Peninsular road - first bus stop, easy walk to HH and boats, and if you see that you just missed the bus you wanted, you can walk over to HH and get there before the bus does so you can still catch it (unless it's really busy time with full busses - never a problem for me since I don't do rope drop and openings).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter