Why does Disney make it hard for larger families?

I did a double take at the thread title as well. No, Disney does not "make it hard for larger families." This seems to be an example of someone wanting the path prepared for them, instead of preparing themselves for the path. Choosing to have a large family is atypical in the US. Wonderful, but atypical. To expect that any company or organization should alter their pricing or their business model simply because your situation calls for more space comes across as entitled.

I did a double take at the thread title as well. No, Disney does not "make it hard for larger families." This seems to be an example of someone wanting the path prepared for them, instead of preparing themselves for the path. Choosing to have a large family is atypical in the US. Wonderful, but atypical. To expect that any company or organization should alter their pricing or their business model simply because your situation calls for more space comes across as entitled.

I agree. Not to sound mean, but whenever I read threads where people complain about the cost of vacation, health insurance, restaurant meals, college etc. and seem to be surprised that it is very expensive for a large family I sort of shake my head. Each person is going to cost more and should not be surprising.

Back to the OP, I would rent a house offsite. You could get one with a pool, full kitchen, washer/dryer and plenty of space for everyone for a better price, probably.

OP I totally get where you are coming from. Of course those of us with larger families expect things to cost more. That's a no brainer. In no aspect of our life (speaking for my family) do we expect the path to be prepared for us. However, we have traveled to plenty of places and for the most part the room options at non Disney hotels are much better. Not only do we usually have more options but the price is more in line with other rooms. Yes of course it is a bit more to get a suite etc. but Disney is astronomical in that respect. I still can't believe how much Disney pricing has gone up but I guess they are doing good since the parks are packed. Long gone are the days of real discounts. OP we have stayed onsite and off. Both were just as great. Good luck planning your trip.

I agree. Not to sound mean, but whenever I read threads where people complain about the cost of vacation, health insurance, restaurant meals, college etc. and seem to be surprised that it is very expensive for a large family I sort of shake my head. Each person is going to cost more and should not be surprising.

Back to the OP, I would rent a house offsite. You could get one with a pool, full kitchen, washer/dryer and plenty of space for everyone for a better price, probably.

This is very true. It's part and parcel of having a larger family. Some of us consider the trade-offs to be worth it, though.

The OP could easily rent a 4BR house offsite--aside from the cost savings and extra perks you mention, the bedrooms would really come in handy for the different bedtimes for different-aged children. And having easy access to a washer/dryer, especially with very young children, can be a godsend! Not to mention multiple bathrooms being handy. When we stayed offsite, my kids favorite thing on vacation was the private pool--hands down.

Hi! First, I think it's really nice that you want to take everyone on a Disney vacation. I live in Wisconsin so get there every two to three years max and so cherish every trip. I don't have that many people to coordinate, but have a daughter and mom with special needs and realize planning is the key. I understand you wanting to stay on site, too. It's so nice having transport to and from the airport, having your bags moved for you, free transportation within the park, etc.

You probably know this already, but Disney World has different priced seasons (value, etc.) It's going to be hard to take the 16 year old out of school especially, but if you can go there during the off seasons you will save money and go when the crowds are lower.

I believe each rooms' occupancy also includes one child under 3 in a crib (pack n' play?). So if you get one unit (like a suite) one of the younger children is in addition to the total occupancy; with connecting rooms two would be in addition to it.

As others suggested, getting two connecting rooms at POP or an All Star resort is most reasonable price wise. I've read with two adults they may only let you request adjoining, which has no connecting door. There's lots of threads to look up this information here. Just so you know, these rooms are small and the beds are too. But I've stayed at All-Star Sports once and POP twice, so it's definitely doable and is really fun and relatively convenient. A moderate is also doable. I've never stayed in one so can't suggest one way or the other.

Others have also suggested renting DVC points. (You'd have to rent points to make it cost effective; going through Disney directly costs a lot more.) I've done that on the last few trips (split says for each) and they're really nice and convenient. OKW has the largest rooms and are comparatively reasonable.

A thought that no one's mentioned is that Poly DVC has connecting studios (the only DVC that does). We stayed in one on our last trip and it is so convenient. Almost all the studios connect, so I think your chances of getting your request filled is pretty high. There are two bathroom areas in each studio, as well as a queen size bed, a full size pull out sofa, and a murphy bed that my 19 year old slept on without a problem (although she sleeps curled up rather than stretched out.) Each studio also has a pack n' play in the closet. Points for this room range from 16 to 36 (multiply that by price per point which varies by who you buy through) and maybe that fits your budget...

I am married with a step-daughter (16), two sons (10 & 8), one adopted son (5) and two foster daughters (15 months and 4 months). That first and last family trip we took was in December of 2013. Unfortunately, I did not know about this site at the time and hadn’t discovered the DIS Unplugged podcast as well. In fact, that trip did not go as well as I had hoped because I wasn’t as prepared as I wish I had been. When I got back I promised myself I would do the research before planning our next trip. That is when I came across the DIS Unplugged YouTube page and my addiction began!

I am now looking to plan a Disney World trip this upcoming fall but find it difficult to plan the trip and stay on Disney property considering my options are limited unless I am able to spend a ridiculous amount of money (which I cannot). I do realize that if we stay offsite we will spend less money but if I am going to plan a trip for the family we will want to stay onsite. Mainly because of theming but also for the convenience factor, free parking (we will drive to Orlando), fast pass selections and the possibility of free dining (I realize that this is very hard to get now). When we came in 2013 we stayed at All Star Music in one of their suites. This was fine for our family at the time but now we have added two more little ones. This seems to leave me with very few options. The All Star Music & Art of Animation suites state that they can sleep up to 6 adults. Not sure what that means for us since we have two adults and 6 children. Except for the campsites (which my wife would never approve), everything else onsite that would hold our family would be well out of our price range.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any large families out there that have dealt with these same issues?

Mark
Hi, Mark!

Welcome to the DISboards! Just wanted to let you know that your thread was chosen to be featured on today's edition of the DIS Daily Fix!

I hope you're finding some helpful information for planning your upcoming vacation here. I also wanted to let you know that we have an entire forum discussing Disney for Families that might help you out even more.

Happy planning! :flower1:

As others suggested, getting two connecting rooms at POP or an All Star resort is most reasonable price wise. I've read with two adults they may only let you request adjoining, which has no connecting door. There's lots of threads to look up this information here. Just so you know, these rooms are small and the beds are too. But I've stayed at All-Star Sports once and POP twice, so it's definitely doable and is really fun and relatively convenient. A moderate is also doable. I've never stayed in one so can't suggest one way or the other.

They can request either, but neither will be guaranteed. Any request is just that, a request. No matter what your paperwork says or what the phone CM says... they are only requests. So there would always be some risk in doing things this way.

Actually, the OP's situation is the only time Disney will guarantee a connecting room. More children than adults. You can not book via the website. It has to be called in to be done. It will all be under one reservation number, and you are only required to make one deposit even though you have 2 rooms. Disney is actually very accommodating for larger families.

If you call and get someone who does not know how to do this, then hang up and call again. It can be and is done all the time.

They can request either, but neither will be guaranteed. Any request is just that, a request. No matter what your paperwork says or what the phone CM says... they are only requests. So there would always be some risk in doing things this way.

Actually, the OP's situation is the only time Disney will guarantee a connecting room. More children than adults. You can not book via the website. It has to be called in to be done. It will all be under one reservation number, and you are only required to make one deposit even though you have 2 rooms. Disney is actually very accommodating for larger families.

If you call and get someone who does not know how to do this, then hang up and call again. It can be and is done all the time.

Good to know. We were as close as guaranteed as we could be but we needed an accessible room. Wasn't sure of/if there were other situations.

I am married with a step-daughter (16), two sons (10 & 8), one adopted son (5) and two foster daughters (15 months and 4 months).

Am I the only person who can't get past this? First off, I don't know why you couldn't have just said I have six kids or three daughters and three sons? If you felt the need to give us details, I guess I can get over labeling the step daughter and foster kids since none are technically yours (at least I assume they aren't), but you felt the need to tell us that you have two sons plus an adopted son? Really??? You have THREE sons! Who on earth separates out their children to make sure everyone knows that one is adopted? Ugh!

This is very true. It's part and parcel of having a larger family. Some of us consider the trade-offs to be worth it, though.

The OP could easily rent a 4BR house offsite--aside from the cost savings and extra perks you mention, the bedrooms would really come in handy for the different bedtimes for different-aged children. And having easy access to a washer/dryer, especially with very young children, can be a godsend! Not to mention multiple bathrooms being handy. When we stayed offsite, my kids favorite thing on vacation was the private pool--hands down.
Your suggestion for renting a house offsite sounds great for OP's situation.
There are more suggestions/discussion in the thread with the same title on the resorts board. I think OP has gotten lots of good ideas and options both places.

Am I the only person who can't get past this? First off, I don't know why you couldn't have just said I have six kids or three daughters and three sons? If you felt the need to give us details, I guess I can get over labeling the step daughter and foster kids since none are technically yours (at least I assume they aren't), but you felt the need to tell us that you have two sons plus an adopted son? Really??? You have THREE sons! Who on earth separates out their children to make sure everyone knows that one is adopted? Ugh!
It did strike me as a bit odd. Listing ages would make sense---there is such a range and what works well is largely determined by that. I noticed it but hten figured it is likely just someone used to trying to explain why a bunch of kids vary so much in ages or some other ways and didn't give it more thought

We are a family of 6 age 14 and up. We love Fort Wilderness cabins and we are not ccampers.

We considered renting a 10 person RV our last trip and may do that in the future. Cooking in the cabin saved us a lot. Full kitchen and fridge We loved putting something in the crock pot in the a.m. and coming back to a home cooked meal midday.

I think the cabins only fit 7 guests. Love the RV idea-we are only a family of four & we are considering this for a future trip!

OP: I would look into renting DVC points on a 2 bedroom villa. Otherwise, a value with adjoining rooms.

We are a family of 6, plus often travel with one grandparent. We stopped staying on site years ago due to cost, we now stay at Bonnet Creek. We drive so we have our own vehicle. We purchase annual passes so that we have access to free parking and food/merchandise discounts at select restaurants. We visit twice a year so this is a better option for us than tickets.

In the past we have camped. It's crowded but doable. The rain was less than fun, but Ft Wilderness is pretty nice.

If you must stay on property then book two value or moderate rooms. There's no need to go for DVC as you can book two rooms for cheaper. Free dining isn't a guarantee, so just set a food budget and go from there. We tend to have easy in room breakfasts.

I can understand the frustration at Disney for 4 person room capacity and wish that there were more reasonably priced sleep 6 options. However, I remind myself that there's always two rooms or off site. You just need to lay out all the price options and see what the best solution is for your family.

I am from a large family, with several siblings... No, we did not travel to Disney, eat out, etc... These things were cost prohibitive and very rarely happened. Yes, it costs twice as much for 8 persons as it would for 4. Wishful thinking and some hopeful 'entitlement' do not change these things. The basic principles of math are like gravity. They always apply.

Now, DH and I have one son. He is now an adult. If we want the desired space and privacy for the three of us... Yes, just 3 of us, guess what, we suck it up and pay more.
If that means that we stay offsite, which we did do, then so be it.
Didn't blame anybody.
To vent about how much travel costs is understandible. I can commisserate!!!
To feel entitled for Disney, or any other entity, to make it easy because of the size of one's group/family...
To allege that they purposefully 'make it hard'.
Nope. Doesn't fly.

We are a family of 6, plus often travel with one grandparent. We stopped staying on site years ago due to cost, we now stay at Bonnet Creek. We drive so we have our own vehicle. We purchase annual passes so that we have access to free parking and food/merchandise discounts at select restaurants. We visit twice a year so this is a better option for us than tickets.

In the past we have camped. It's crowded but doable. The rain was less than fun, but Ft Wilderness is pretty nice.

If you must stay on property then book two value or moderate rooms. There's no need to go for DVC as you can book two rooms for cheaper. Free dining isn't a guarantee, so just set a food budget and go from there. We tend to have easy in room breakfasts.

I can understand the frustration at Disney for 4 person room capacity and wish that there were more reasonably priced sleep 6 options. However, I remind myself that there's always two rooms or off site. You just need to lay out all the price options and see what the best solution is for your family.
When we rented points for a 2 bedroom at the BC, the cost was almost the same as 2 moderates (rented privately). So much better, huge with a full kitchen and washer/dryer (used every day).

I think the cabins only fit 7 guests. Love the RV idea-we are only a family of four & we are considering this for a future trip!

OP: I would look into renting DVC points on a 2 bedroom villa. Otherwise, a value with adjoining rooms.

You are correct. The cabins do only sleep 6. I was explaining our experience. And that the cabins are very nice and not like camping.

Our family never has enough time to do the activities at the Fort. The grounds are beautiful, peaceful and not like roughing it ( unless you want to tent camp).

Next trip, we'll have a DIL and an RV that sleeps 10 could easily be the way we go. We love the ability to make our own meals and save so much $ doing this.

And we love the Disney bubble...no driving if we don't want to, our kids could do their own exploring if they wanted, extra magic hours...

And we love having a larger family! More expensive, but more fun and rewarding!

I think that Disney is no different thatn any other vacation destination, you add people onto your group uyou will pay more. You are talking about your nuclear family, but we travel as a large extended family. We always pay more for our travel party, we have more people than 4.

You have choices, and each choice demands a compromise. You want to stay onsite, you need to pay more. Yes, you may be able to rent points, but that is still expensive when you consider the size of the unit you need to accomodate 5 people. You can rent two rooms in either a value or a moderate, and again, you will spend more money than if you could all fit in one room. Or you can stay offsite. Save money but the compromise is that you are not in your Disney bubble.

I think that you need to look at your total budget and start with that. You need to know how much on food and tickets, and then see what is left for lodging. Whatever you do, remember that DIsney has provided a wide variety of price points within their resorts. You may not like the choices, but that is a different conversation, IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter