~Why Do We All Run Out To The Store During Storms!~

disneyworld!

<font color="87005b">Love, Peace & Mickey.....and
I do it to, but everytime I do, I see carriages FULL of stuff, that well....just is NOT gonna last if we lose power!

I understand bread, water, and canned goods....but I NEVER see that! I see milk...ice cream, refrigarated stuff, that will go bad!

now in the winter, ok...you can store it outside?? if the animals do not get it.
and this is the first time in MY life I have had a gas stove! I always had electric(no good in power outages) I know...I was in the bizzare of 78!

just food for thought! :blush: get stuff that will last!!

(can you tell it is snowing here again.....)and I have no food! :wave:

I've never understood it either. It always cracks me up how many people have milk, bread and eggs in their carts. What is it about snow that makes people crave french toast? (What else do you make with milk, bread and eggs?) :confused3

Now I run to the store for candy, baked goods and chips when there's a storm coming. If I'm stuck inside - I want something good to eat - forget the bread and milk. :earboy2:

I was with a fellower DISer visiting OOB Maine last the weekend of the 8th and it was snowing like crazy. We were laughing because we went to Wendy's and there were people there, around here the stores etc. are dead and people have wiped the grocery shelves clean! I can't wait to get back there, am thinking of an Easter weekend trip. I don't know what it is about the beach..... :wizard:

As a person that works in a store I can tell you we absolutely hate when they post winter storm warnings. First of all 9 times out of 10 nothing happens here, secondly because everyone comes in and panic shops. They predict 6-12 inches of snow and people think we'll be stuck in our houses for days. Please...this is Buffalo...we get snow...6-12 inches as soon as it stops the plows have the roads open and we are all set to go again. Now a blizzard warning is another thing all together...my DH (when he was just a boyfriend) got stranded at my house for 4 days during a blizzard. Poor guy, that's when I knew he was the right one for me, 4 days in a house with my dad and little sister (Mom was stuck at work) and he still wanted to marry me.

Nancy said:
As a person that works in a store I can tell you we absolutely hate when they post winter storm warnings. First of all 9 times out of 10 nothing happens here, secondly because everyone comes in and panic shops. They predict 6-12 inches of snow and people think we'll be stuck in our houses for days. Please...this is Buffalo...we get snow...6-12 inches as soon as it stops the plows have the roads open and we are all set to go again. Now a blizzard warning is another thing all together...my DH (when he was just a boyfriend) got stranded at my house for 4 days during a blizzard. Poor guy, that's when I knew he was the right one for me, 4 days in a house with my dad and little sister (Mom was stuck at work) and he still wanted to marry me.

I gotta agree with you there. This is Buffalo and heck, we drive through just about anything when it comes to snow. In fact, I'm pretty sure if a Buffalonian needs a Tim Horton coffee bad enough, no blizzard is going to stop them. :earboy2:

It's the herd mentality at it's finest, aided and abetted by an oversensationalizing media.

6-12 inches of snow would close down the whole of Chattanooga for a week or more. We run to the store if they it's be a light dusting of snow. We preparing for no school or work. Yes that does mean that adults DO NOT GO WORK either.

The weatherman is predicting snow for Sunday everyone at work is already saying we not coming to work if snow.

One reason is we do not know how to drive in the snow.

I think it's because of the Blizzard of 78. They predicted flurries....and instead our area received OVER 3 FEET of snow. Roads were closed for a whole week. Even if it was plowed by day 5, you were forbidden by the governor to drive. We had taken up grocery lists from all neighbors & went in search of food by day 5. We were stopped by the National Guard at the RI border who was ordered to confiscate all trucks that had snow plows. We had one. We had to explain we were looking for food for our neighborhood. They let us go after some talking.

I know THAT's why we stock up.

Lots of people do that here too. Even with just a couple inches of snow, the roads get too bad to drive on. It's NH, and we get snow, but they still don't know how to plow.
The best though had to be when they were predicting 30 inches of snow, the night before the Super Bowl. We had to go to the store, cuz dad was already out of everything. People were walking out with 3 CARTS full of snack stuff, because they were having those parties whether they were snowed in or not. The best though had to be the guy who simply bought the essentials. We saw him walking towards the checkout with 2 carts. One was overflowing with bottled water, the other overflowing with toilet paper.

I'm gonna be one of those fools running to the store Saturday. I'm out of EVERYTHING and if it snows the way it's supposed to, I'm going to be stuck in my apartment for a while...

I like to make sure we have food for the kids if we are stuck in the house for a day or so. I don't like driving in snow although I have a 4 wheel drive. And I remember the 3rd day of the blizzard having to walk 6 blocks with a wagon to get bread at the convenience store because we couldn't get out of our alley garage (I was 14 at the time; dad was out of town and sis was at college so it was just me and mom).
I have a friend who MUST have lunchmeat in the house if a storm is coming. She has made her DH stop on the way home from his work and buy lunchmeat if snow is forecast. She has no idea why; just one of those strange compulsions.
Robin M.

It always cracks me up how many people have milk, bread and eggs in their carts

But those of us who are basically "stocked" up only need milk, bread and eggs. ;) We could live a loooooooonnnnng time on just the food we have in the house now. But we prefer fresh milk to powdered milk, premade bread since I haven't made bread from scratch in a loooong time nor used my dust collector errrrrr I mean my bread machine. And eggs are very cheap and can be used many ways. We do add cottage cheese to the blizzard must have list. We have a couple of snowmobiles so if we really needed something we'd just take them into town.

grinningghost said:
Now I run to the store for candy, baked goods and chips when there's a storm coming. If I'm stuck inside - I want something good to eat - forget the bread and milk. :earboy2:

Ahhh, you're my kind of person!!!!!! I'm coming to your house on my snowshoes!!!! :moped:

In my area, everyone remembers 78 so they want alot of food in the house in case they are stranded for days. I like to get goodies like sweets and snacks. Need the energy to shovel out after the storm!

well, I got some money :rolleyes: so i to have to get my weekly fiji water and egg whites! I baked a cake, so set for the week-end...but looks like I will be studying!

Happy snow storm everyone!! :flower1:

LOL! I agree with you! It seems silly! I did go to the store and got Toilet Paper.. well, we were almost out. I did buy some freezer stuff, that we could keep outside in our cooler if we need to. We have a grill, so I usually try to buy things that can be cooked on it in case we lose power. I never really make that big a deal out of it.. the roads are usually fine in a day or two. If we ended up losing power for more than a day, we'd go somewhere else!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter