why do some people think WDW is so much better than DLR?

Living in Illinois with a bazillion WDW TV commercials and rarely a DL commercial I hear the WDW is sooo much better comments all the time.

Most have never been to DL and based on the size of WDW they think it is superior.

I don't mention any of very magical aspects of DL. I just nod and tell them I hope they have a magical time. I feel no need to encourage more people to come to DL.;)

Actually if it had been up to me DCA would still be the parking lot in front of DL and DCA ( or DFA if in Fl.) and Carsland would be in Orlando. LOL

dsny1mom

I have not encouraged any of them to fly to DLR vs WDW either, as I agree it is already crowded enough. I have never subscribed to the theory of bigger being better but I guess for many people that is their gut reaction.

I think they are totally different and cannot even be compared. I grew up going to DL, love it, always will, and i especially love how I can get from the back of one park to the back of the other in about 10 minutes, walking. And it is close to my home.

Now, I haven't been to WDW in years, and we are going in July! I am so excited. It seems to me to be more of a vacation spot, people stay for ages. They seem to offer so much more. I think I will love it also. And continue gang to both because they are both awesome.

Completely agree :thumbsup2 except that I am the opposite, I grew up going to WDW and have never stepped foot in DL (except when we go for the first time in 9 days :goodvibes). I blame that on my parents because it was always too far for them to drive (they hated to fly) and too expensive, we too are from Illinois (I noticed that there a couple Illinoisians on this thread :goodvibes). When I got older, it was more a comfort thing for DH and I (he too had grown up going to WDW) until we decided that we had to visit the park that Walt built. I am very excited to see the differences that DL has to offer. For example there are rides that DL has that WDW doesn't have and a couple of rides that are no longer at WDW that are still operating in DL.

OP I don't know why anyone would put DLR down or say one resort is better then the other. I completely agree that if you haven't experienced it then you really can't say which is better....just like anything else in life.

Here in NorCal too. I suspect DL is heavy west of the Rockies and WDW to the East.

Makes sense.

The conversation/advise I hear on the playground in our area (non disney obsessed people we know) is take kids to DL when they're younger and wdw when they're older.

Makes sense.

The conversation/advise I hear on the playground in our area (non disney obsessed people we know) is take kids to DL when they're younger and wdw when they're older.

I agree. The majority of people I know here locally travel to DL especially with younger kids. The 3hour versus 8-10+ hours seem to play a big role in their decision. I often hear people say that once the kids are older they will travel to Orlando. I actually am thinking of the same thing. We just went to DL in March with my 9 and 6 year old and am thinking of trying WDW in a few years. We choose DL first with kids (been there pre kids) since it is a shorter more most times direct flight , everything is close together and my younger DD could go on more rides (less rides with the 48" height requirement).

Completely agree :thumbsup2 except that I am the opposite, I grew up going to WDW and have never stepped foot in DL (except when we go for the first time in 9 days :goodvibes). I blame that on my parents because it was always too far for them to drive (they hated to fly) and too expensive, we too are from Illinois (I noticed that there a couple Illinoisians on this thread :goodvibes). When I got older, it was more a comfort thing for DH and I (he too had grown up going to WDW) until we decided that we had to visit the park that Walt built. I am very excited to see the differences that DL has to offer. For example there are rides that DL has that WDW doesn't have and a couple of rides that are no longer at WDW that are still operating in DL.

OP I don't know why anyone would put DLR down or say one resort is better then the other. I completely agree that if you haven't experienced it then you really can't say which is better....just like anything else in life.

We are absolutely planning to compare all the rides. My 7yo son will dissect everything, but definitely not to criticize, just to compare. WDW still has Country Bear Jamboree!! My DH and I cannot wait to see that again. Plus, did I see somewhere there is the People Mover or am I just wishing?? It will bring my childhood back!

I've also seen a bit of bias from (mostly) folks from the Eastern side of the continent. A lot of it is purely the assumption that bigger is better. I just figure that if someone hasn't actually been to both then they can't really know so there's no point paying attention to any comparisons. I consider DL to be my "home" resort but I've been to WDW once. I really did love both, but I did find myself comparing a bit. But just because I like certain things about one resort, I'd never put down the other.

We just got back from DL and it was fantastic. We stayed at GCH in the villas and the fact that we didn't have to be bussed, boated, or monorail end anywhere was AWESOME! NO HUMIDITY???OMG wonderful!! We spent 7 nights there and LOOOOVED it!

Saying all of that, we are WDW vets and we are at DW all the time. Love it there, too. They are so different, hard to compare really. Different format, layout, it doesn't feel the same at all- I don't think comparable parks at all. Apples and oranges...they both have their good and bad things- if comparing the WORLD to the LAND.

Before our first trip to DLR in 2003 many people told me that WDW was better and that California couldn't compare. We didn't listen those naysayers and we were very excited for our trip. We were immediately hooked. :goodvibes This summer will mark our 5th visit to DLR, our goal is to switch off every year between DLR and WDW. Often people ask us if DLR is worth visiting....we always say YES!! :cool1: Every Disney fan should visit the original park at least once.

I agree it is unfair to compare them. They are both magical in their own way.

Before our first trip to DLR in 2003 many people told me that WDW was better and that California couldn't compare. We didn't listen those naysayers and we were very excited for our trip. We were immediately hooked. :goodvibes This summer will mark our 5th visit to DLR, our goal is to switch off every year between DLR and WDW. Often people ask us if DLR is worth visiting....we always say YES!! :cool1: Every Disney fan should visit the original park at least once.

I agree it is unfair to compare them. They are both magical in their own way.

Totally agree! We were told the same thing!!! We were still super excited to go and loved it!

I like both parks, but I am one of the people that think WDW is so much better.

My reasons.

Better resorts, better price, and better discounts.

Better restaurants.

Lots more to do. I can spend 10 days at WDW and never get bored. DL is a 3 night vacation at the most. I love the water parks at WDW.

No charge for parking. What's up with that DL?

More bars and more adult feel at WDW. I love Epcot.

I can afford to stay Club level at WDW and not at Dl.

Orlando is green and beautiful. Very little traffic. Lakes everywhere. DL is surrounded by strip malls and so- so neighborhoods.

Just to clarify I was born and raised 15 minutes for DL. The magic Kingdom at WDW doesn't hold a candle to Dl, but for a vacation I would choose WDW everytime.

It is Pepsi vs. Coke. No right or wrong.

I live in a house that is divided, I love DLR, my husband prefers WDW , and we each have visited both parks.

It just comes down to preference. :-)

I love both WDW and DL but regarding the *other* topic...COKE RULES!!!!!! ;) (and yes, I've tried them both)

I grew up in NY and vacationed in WDW every year. I even moved to FL in my 20's just to be near my favorite place. 11 years ago I moved to Las Vegas and found that I LOVE DL. I love that I can go for a quick trip a few times a year... Or wake up on a Friday and just decide to go for a weekend. I love WDW too... we are going in 15 days for two weeks...love the excitement of planning a trip... Both have such wonderful memories for me!

Lots more to do. I can spend 10 days at WDW and never get bored. DL is a 3 night vacation at the most. I love the water parks at WDW.

Ofinn-I have to ask based on your comment of DLR being a "3 day vacation at the most"... when was the last time you were there? Have you been there since DCA was re-done?

We spent 6 days there on our last trip in November and never got "bored".

That said, we could easily spend 2 weeks at WDW and never get bored either.... we love both parks, but for different reasons.

Cinderpamela said:
Ofinn-I have to ask based on your comment of DLR being a "3 day vacation at the most"... when was the last time you were there? Have you been there since DCA was re-done?

We spent 6 days there on our last trip in November and never got "bored".

That said, we could easily spend 2 weeks at WDW and never get bored either.... we love both parks, but for different reasons.

I have to agree that after after a few days DL got a little boring to us. We go to WDW 1-2x per yr and would never even think of getting bored, but DH & myself visited DL in April for 4 days and thought that was enough time for us. We enjoyed the different rides that WDW doesn't have, Carsland was great, and even though everything was in walking distance (which is nice after a long day) we just felt it took away from the magic, just a different scene at DL.
We love how in WDW it's a vacation destination, feels like your in a bubble emerssed in all the magic.
It's not like we would never visit DL again , but it would be a long time,the flight was also to long for me, DL was 6 hrs, WDW is only 2.5 hrs, to ME that makes a difference.

Every Disney fan should visit the original park at least once.

I couldn't agree more with this, and we haven't even gone yet :goodvibes. This is why we decided to head out to the West Coast parks instead of going back to the East Coast mainly because we wanted to see where it all started, plus it is a change of scenery for us but still be Disney themed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter