Why do some of my posts have the X instead of the photo?

klmall

aka Kathy
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
This has always been an occasional problem until recently. I would sometimes post a photo and the X would appear for a brief time then disappear.

But now it is really odd. Some of my pictures are there fine and in other posts in the same thread the X is there. Perhaps coincidental to the increase of Xs is that I moved to a new laptop and Windows 11 last week.

I am inserting photos from SmugMug using the Insert Image option and have used it for years.

Any ideas?

PS - It is only a problem on the DIS not the other Disney site I also post on daily.

Last edited:
When I had this problem with both posting photos and my sigs, I found that linking directly to the image on your hosting site instead of choosing one of the other options for posting solved the problem for me. I also use the Insert Image option, and paste the direct link. I'm using ImageShack for my host, so your host may have different options, but I hope this helps.

This has always been an occasional problem until recently. I would sometimes post a photo and the X would appear for a brief time then disappear.

But now it is really odd. Some of my pictures are there fine and in other posts in the same thread the X is there. Perhaps coincidental to the increase of Xs is that I moved to a new laptop and Windows 11 last week.

I am inserting photos from SmugMug using the Insert Image option and have used it for years.

Any ideas?

Kathy that is happening to me to.

I contacted smugmug who said there was nothing wrong their side, but could be a thing with the computer and said it could be a caching issue with the browser. I`m using the same laptop I have used for a few years so couldn`t understand why.

When I tried to replicate it and send them a screenshot, it worked fine.....typical!

Seems ok today but like you after years of posting from smugmug with no issues I have no clue why it`s started showing a huge red X.

When I had this problem with both posting photos and my sigs, I found that linking directly to the image on your hosting site instead of choosing one of the other options for posting solved the problem for me. I also use the Insert Image option, and paste the direct link. I'm using ImageShack for my host, so your host may have different options, but I hope this helps.

Thanks but I am already doing that. Maybe it has something to do with SmugMug but they aren't helpful it appears.

Last edited:

I also added above that this problem is non-existent on another Disney site I post on every day so it's got to be related to the DIS.

And I just found that if I click on the Edit button for one of these X posts it shows my photo but then when I click on Save it goes back to the X. So the photo is there just not showing.

And I just found that if I click on the Edit button for one of these X posts it shows my photo but then when I click on Save it goes back to the X. So the photo is there just not showing.

That`s what I saw too, on the edit it was there but not when I pressed save.

I ended up copying and pasting the pic I want to post on the pic of the day thread, I just posted 5 minutes ago and it worked fine with the usual way.....I think you`re right and it`s a Dis issue.

Smugmug checked all the albums I was having this issue with and said they were fine, weirdly it seemed to be ones from before 2015 but then it was a newer meme....so who knows!!

Thanks schumigirl! By copying and pasting do you mean that you used the Insert Image option with the Links tab (By URL) to successfully avoid the X?

Well I found a painful work-a-round that worked for me but I hate it!

I first downloaded my photo to a new folder on my hard drive.
Clicked on the Insert Image option.
Then instead of going to Links tab I used the "Drop image Or click here" to click and locate that photo in that new folder I created.

But the big problem is that the photo has to stay in that new folder or it disappears from the post. If I delete that photo from the folder the post ends up with a url that doesn't open or show the photo.

What a nuisance!!!

And thanks for your help!

Thanks schumigirl! By copying and pasting do you mean that you used the Insert Image option with the Links tab (By URL) to successfully avoid the X?

Well I found a painful work-a-round that worked for me but I hate it!

I first downloaded my photo to a new folder on my hard drive.
Clicked on the Insert Image option.
Then instead of going to Links tab I used the "Drop image Or click here" to click and locate that photo in that new folder I created.

What a nuisance!!!

And thanks for your help!

Oh that is a complicated way of doing it isn`t it!! There has to be an easier way till whatever is causing it is sorted!!

No I reverted to the idiots guide, I`m not technically minded at all 😉 I just clicked on the full image on smugmug and pressed copy, then pasted on the pic of the day thread. It worked but very annoying when it`s usually so easy to post from smugmug!! Especially doing trip reports.

But, hopefully it`ll sort itself out, I wonder if anyone else has had the same issue that don`t use Smugmug.

Any ideas?

PS - It is only a problem on the DIS not the other Disney site I also post on daily.
This problem showed up several months ago
https://www.disboards.com/threads/imgur-linked-photos-not-working.3919113/
In theory, "they're working on it"

Thanks again! Even my work-a-round has backfired now and isn't working.

I will try your way. I'm getting a bit desperate........

Any ideas?

I was actually going to message you this afternoon and ask about this issue! :rolleyes: It's been really bad this past week! Normally I've had trouble in the evenings but now it's showing up as soon as I get on Disboards in the morning. SO annoying! Glad to her someone has checked with SmugMug....that was going to be my next step. :tink:

I wonder how many other people are experiencing this but haven't reported it?

I wonder too.

I must admit like goopysolelady above, you were my next port of call to see if you had any issues too since smugmug said the issue wasn`t with their side ☺️

The Red Xs are back again. I've had no issues since earlier this week but now they are back. I'm going to give it an hour or two and try again 😠

The Red Xs are back again. I've had no issues since earlier this week but now they are back. I'm going to give it an hour or two and try again 😠

Same for me, some days the memes and pictures work fine, other days I have to revert to copy and paste……:(
I found a workaround for imgur, but now I have to find one for smugmug.

I hope you manage it, and thank you for trying. I know Kathy and I post a lot of images, so it would be amazing if you could fix it……thank you again :)

Thought the issue might have been resolved as I could post pictures on Sunday with no issues, but this morning posted a picture and the big red X appeared again.

Used copy and paste instead, but hope this issue is resolved soon as like Kathy, it`s only this site that it happens on :(

@WebmasterCorey

Thank you, this issue seems to be fixed now, for me anyway. Over the last couple of weeks, linking from Smugmug has been working without any issues and pictures are there instead of the dreaded red X!

Many thanks for whatever you did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter