Why Do People Feel It's OK To Decorate Resort Windows?

Hehe... We were going to decorate our windows last time, but once we got there... No way was I going to spend Disney time in the room when there was all of Walt Disney World to be explored! lol

:confused3 Um, Huh, I don't get this, if this is an issue then you have way too much time on your hands, I can't even belive I read this thread lol!

I don't really like when people bring stuff to decorate their windows. But stuff they have picked up at WDW doesn't bother me at all.

MNSSHP wristbands to show you went..... a picture of you and your family at CRT..... stuffed animals..... none of these things bother me at all.

I have seen dry erase boards on doors with a list of Disers who have passed by, :upsidedow whatever floats your boat.

I've not really seen much window decor and we are almost always at CBR. I think it would be neat at the holidays, like you would expect to see at the houses on the block. Keep it tasteful people.

I'm on the fence on this one. I haven't stayed at a value resort and am only guessing it occurs there more than the deluxes or moderates. I can see where it may bother someone if they are not looking to stay at a "dormitory" style atmosphere. I think the only ones who do decorate their windows are those who visit the Disboards (and similar boards) and they are hoping someone else from the Boards takes notice.

I did decorate my windows at BWV at Christmas with snowflakes and little Mickey clings for my grandson's first visit but you really couldn't see them from the Boardwalk. I was going to string lights on the balcony and put up a big lime green Mickey head but then changed my mind. I thought it would cheapen the Boardwalk's atmosphere esp with the Boardwalk view I had.

It's not something I've ever done or thought about doing. But I really don't care if other people do it. If I had young kids maybe it would be something I would consider. Especially if we were there around Christmas or something.

I never thought in a million years people would be so outspoken about the decorations! I don't like everything people light up or blow up for Christmas, but I'm not about to stop and give them my opinion! I decorate my family's resort window and door each time we go. It is usually Disney-themed anyway so for me it's extending what Disney is already trying to do. My kids look forward to seeing what I'm going to put up for our next trip. I guess my decorating comes from being an Early Childhood teacher for 20 years. To me it adds to the excitement for all the children vacationing at WDW. We always leave a message board for fellow DIS members and others to leave us messages. We've never had a single obsene message left and my children love to read the messages each night when we return from the parks.
I agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if people want to decorate I say go ahead and do it!!! :thumbsup2 It's all in fun and after all, that's what Disney's about isn't it?!?!:wizard:

I never thought in a million years people would be so outspoken about the decorations! I don't like everything people light up or blow up for Christmas, but I'm not about to stop and give them my opinion! I decorate my family's resort window and door each time we go. It is usually Disney-themed anyway so for me it's extending what Disney is already trying to do. My kids look forward to seeing what I'm going to put up for our next trip. I guess my decorating comes from being an Early Childhood teacher for 20 years. To me it adds to the excitement for all the children vacationing at WDW. We always leave a message board for fellow DIS members and others to leave us messages. We've never had a single obsene message left and my children love to read the messages each night when we return from the parks.
I agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if people want to decorate I say go ahead and do it!!! :thumbsup2 It's all in fun and after all, that's what Disney's about isn't it?!?!:wizard:

Could not agree with you more. I haven't personally decorated our window but think is cute when people do so. Our kids always put the cute animal towels they find in the room on the window and I think is great. And I don't really understand why would people go to Disney and always find something to complain about. Just enjoy your trip and don't criticize what everyone else is doing.Whatever people do on their vacation is their own business and if they like doing it - more power to them. That's my opinion anyway

I guess if people want their windows and doors to look like a discount store display - more power to them, as long as it doesn't impact other people at the resort (ie. lights shining in to other rooms, etc). I do think disney should impose a fee for people that opt to do this, because of the inevitable impact on housekeeping, and potential damage on doors and windows from tape, markers, general clean-up, etc. I also agree with a previous poster, that disney should maybe consider window packages, and not allow people to bring in their own (just to ensure that proper materials are used).

mousekeeping put our few souveniers on the ledge. I almost walked right past our room thinking, "oh look guys they have the same XYZ you do" LOL

I guess if people want their windows and doors to look like a discount store display - more power to them, as long as it doesn't impact other people at the resort (ie. lights shining in to other rooms, etc). I do think disney should impose a fee for people that opt to do this, because of the inevitable impact on housekeeping, and potential damage on doors and windows from tape, markers, general clean-up, etc. I also agree with a previous poster, that disney should maybe consider window packages, and not allow people to bring in their own (just to ensure that proper materials are used).

You do need to be "smart" about what you are decorating with and be sensitive to Mousekeeping and other guests. I have never put up lights, but the way ASMO's is set up it wouldn't bother anyone anyway. I always clean our window so that Mousekeeping doesn't have to do anything to it. I also make sure I don't use anything that would leave a residue. I don't think a fee should be imposed unless someone leaves a window in a mess or leaves the stuff up and Mousekeeping has to clean it up. I decorate our window in a Disney theme anyway, so I don't think it ruins the look of the resort, rather it compliments where we are.
Bottom line-if you're going to decorate you need to be responsible. :thumbsup2

We are going to WDW for Christmas and I WILL be decorating the windows. We always put some of our Disney toys in the windows anyways, but we are bringing a few things such as lights, clings, mickey heads, small tree, and toys. It will be done in a tasteful manner and not too much for other guests, we are not decorating our home and feel that if you are paying for your room, you can decorate as you want.

It is not "inevitable" that someone doing some decorating impact housekeeping. I do decorate, but use mostly window clings and suction cups to hold my decorations up. And I always clean it up before we leave.

I don't mind my window looking "like a discount store display". And if you don't mind yours looking plain and uninteresting, then we should both be happy.

Love this thread! It was a thread just like this that made me start decorating a couple of years ago!! :rotfl:

We have decorated at CBR, CSR and ASM so far! 3M makes great removable hanging products! They really come off clean (the products have improved from past years!) That being said, I think the resorts should charge the guests who leave behind a mess on a window.

To the OP, I honestly don't care one tiny little bit that you think it looks tacky!

I will be looking very tacky to you no matter what when I am skipping through the parks squealing with delight with my tiara (or other fun hat/ears) Mickey crocs, and sequin tops!!
Life is waaaay too short. I am busy having a blast and going to WDW. I think that deep down In your heart you are jealous and want to play, too.:banana::laughing: You can 'ya know! When you see me I will give you huge genuine smile!!
We should have DIS decorating contests with many categories such as kids under 10, adults over 60, most hand made etc...after all it IS a form of folk art! What is bad about that?:grouphug:

You know...I've decorated my window, at POP, with Mickey and Pooh window clings that were season appropriate...Halloween time. I've put a lime green poster up in another window at POP with my DIS screen-name on it. I have brought Christmas lights to put on my window at BWV. This year??? It will be a light-up Mickey head that goes in the window. I don't think it looks like a 'discount store display' anymore than someone's home during the holidays does. It's just not that big a deal. It does absolutely no harm to anything. Of course, there are always going to be those who go over the line...using tape and markers and then not cleaning up after themselves...and that's not right. In fact, when I leave, my windows are probably cleaner than I found them. I wash them down myself before I put anything on them, then wipe them down after I'm done.

Love this thread! It was a thread just like this that made me start decorating a couple of years ago!! :rotfl:

We have decorated at CBR, CSR and ASM so far! 3M makes great removable hanging products! They really come off clean (the products have improved from past years!) That being said, I think the resorts should charge the guests who leave behind a mess on a window.

To the OP, I honestly don't care one tiny little bit that you think it looks tacky!

I will be looking very tacky to you no matter what when I am skipping through the parks squealing with delight with my tiara (or other fun hat/ears) Mickey crocs, and sequin tops!!
Life is waaaay too short. I am busy having a blast and going to WDW. I think that deep down In your heart you are jealous and want to play, too.:banana::laughing: You can 'ya know! When you see me I will give you huge genuine smile!!
We should have DIS decorating contests with many categories such as kids under 10, adults over 60, most hand made etc...after all it IS a form of folk art! What is bad about that?:grouphug:

This cracks me up that this thread even exists but now that I know about it I will be decorating our windows this trip! Seems like a good idea so when the kids are running up to the door they think is theirs they will know for sure by the personalized windows.

If you think the windows bother you, beware of the DCL. Disers go crazy on there decorating their door. So fun, its whole part of the planning for us to decide what to create and hang on our door.

I've actually never seen windows decorated. We've mostly stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. Maybe people don't decorate there? Maybe I'm just too busy to notice? We're heading back to the World in August. I will keep my eyes open for window decorations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter