Why do people assume

My siblings assume that we have money cause we choose to go on vacations every year, usually WDW. They never go anywhere. What they don’t understand is we normally stay at a value resort and I budget for it all year long. The rest of the year we seldom do anything. We don’t buy anything unless we need it and we don’t go out for dinner either.

I've had people assume that I've got money because I occasionally take my kids to Disney World, but they don't know me well enough to see that we spend the 6 months before a trip seriously skimping on groceries (like not eating meat at all) and everything else we can possible do to save money

Ah, that's usually when my pet peeve phrase gets used---"It must be nice!"---ugh. ;) Yes, going on vacation is nice. But, those same folks probably wouldn't think that everything we do or give up in order to have those vacations are very nice at all. ;)

It makes a LOT of difference. Pricing for anything around your home is directly related to the neighborhood.

So true. I was discussing our need for a new roof with a friend who lives in a nice suburb of a big city. (We ourselves live in the middle of nowhere, near nothing. ;) ) And they quoted the price they paid for their roof a few years back and I nearly died, LOL! I said "Well thankfully a new roof costs about half that where we live!" :)

So even if you didn't get it as a gift it doesn't mean you bought it for a lot of money either.

Yeah, I'm always looking ways to NOT spend full price on things. :) When my one son was little he loved the Thomas the Tank Engine wooden toys and I would buy them one at a time at A.C. Moore or Michael's with a 40% or even better, a 50% coupon.

One day I was at a garage sale and I saw a bin of very used Thomas trains, and while not new by a long shot, I knew my son would still love them. So I asked the price, and she quoted a price higher than what I paid for new ones at the store!! And when I told her that I wasn't interested she gave me the old "They're very expensive new" line. Well, first of all, these are far from new. ;) (But I didn't say that.) But since she pressed the issue, I did tell her that I bought new ones regularly for less than what she was asking and she scoffed as if I was flat out lying to her. Oh well. :)

Just the standard Book By Cover Syndrome

The good thing about people and their judgements is they can mean as little or as much as you choose to let them.

I certainly understand that. My wife and I are all about living below our means. We both drive modest vehicles and don't have much in the way of toys and what not.

I don't need to or care to impress anyone but my wife.

48 years married and I don't think I have ever impressed DW and she still keeps me. Gots to be :lovestruc

This is a good post for that recent thread about Starbucks pay it forward. Lots of people assuming if you're in the line at Starbucks you can afford it as if there weren't things like a gift card (which I guess was funny to a poster) or some other reason someone was in that line.

FWIW a lot of people sell wallets and purses at garage sales or social media. I see it a lot on Nextdoor and yes tons of Vera Bradley on there. So even if you didn't get it as a gift it doesn't mean you bought it for a lot of money either. Also I don't know about you but I've shopped at Vera Bradley outlets and gotten an ID case (which I use as my wallet) for a few bucks. Recently I bought one at Hallmark and used a Hallmark coupon. Grand total for the ID case was like $3+tax. On my two Disney Vera Bradley purses I used Disney gift cards I got for my birthday and a portion of one was converted gift card to a Disney gift card. My Harry Potter Vera Bradley is the only one purchased without aid though my husband did it for a birthday or Christmas gift can't remember.

I wouldn't even assume anything if I saw you in that checkout lane just by you pulling out a Vera Bradley wallet.

My response was meant to be that "if at SB, then it can be afforded" makes no difference IMO by personal means or a Gift Card so I will not foot another's bill. SORRY

I was always told “you can’t count other people’s money”. I could care less how much other people have and also could care less what they think about my family finances. If someone has something to say about what we do or don’t have/spend I ignore it. They don’t pay my bills and it’s none of their business!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter