Why Disney, WHY??

Your ship likely had 100-200 people on it? I personally have no issue with it being done in that specific instance. Its when you have 2000-3000-4000-5000 people that it really starts to be an issue.

I think there were about 120 guests. But, the small size did not seem to change the process. Most people were on time and had their life jackets with them. Some people were late and crew members had to go get them. Some came without life jackets and had to go back. We were all on the top deck in the sun on a day when it was 95 and humid. The process took about 30 minutes altogether.

It's funny because I actually retained the important information better with the virtual drills than I did with the old-style drills. I could consume the information at a time and place where I was comfortable and able to focus on it. More importantly, though, because I was responsible for getting myself to my muster point with minimal assistance, I actually paid attention to the location and routes.

With the old-style muster drill I just followed the crowds and let staff look at my Key to the World card and herd me to my muster station. Once I got there I was bored and uncomfortable and focused on how unpleasant the experience was while ignoring the actual life jacket briefing.

I've been on 5 sailings since cruising restarted and I could tell you right now where my muster point was on each of those sailings. I would have struggled to tell you exactly where my muster point was even in the middle of any of my pre-2020 sailings. So I'm pretty unconvinced that physical muster drills are actually safer than virtual ones, assuming guests comply properly (which is not necessarily a safe assumption).

Last edited:
I am on the Wish right now, and I believe we are the first on this ship with the original muster drill in place. We have not sailed since February 2020.

Our assembly station was in World of Marvel. I don’t find in-person an issue, but this was really disorganized; I hope it’s better executed in the future.

We were all crammed into the long hallway leading into the restaurant. A few of us wore masks (not here for the anti-mask comments). The entrance to the restaurant had no indicator of our muster station (W). We asked and were sent all the way to the very back. If you did not arrive early enough, you had to stand. This was the first time where there was a large number of no-show staterooms so the Assembly Leader had to go through the entire list for a manual roll call. I am asking very nicely that if you don’t agree with this original process to not be those people.

The video was still available on the Navigator app, and I watched it in advance. It is also shown during the drill (no live demo in this restaurant).
This is the first in person muster drill on the Wish ever so I'm not surprised it was chaotic and disorganized. Hopefully it was still informative for everyone and going forward they should smooth out the bumps for that drill on that ship.

I don't see comparing the two as the same thing. The one on the plane takes less than 5 mins and you are already seated and you don't have to wait for late people.
Both are meant to save your life. If a plane was a big as a ship - it would take a lot longer I am sure. Personally it isn't my favorite thing to do - but I am more than happy to participate if it means I can sail away for a week. I work in an industry where if safety isn't taking the highest priority, people can die so Safety first - then we can have fun.

But you are still getting the safety spill with the customer-friendly version of the drill. The repetition still exists (just like it still exists with the airlines who have switched to video presentations too). The only difference would be that, since you had done the in-person version recently, you are in the comfort of your room while watching it, versus standing on a hot deck, packed in like sardines, waiting for jerks to show up late. Nobody is arguing you shouldn't have to listen to the spill at all.

The bottom line is that the new version was probably as effective for those who want to know how to be safe, and probably just as ineffective for those who show up in person and surf their phones or talk through the other version. Reports are that the real reason they are changing back is because people weren't doing the self-guided version. There are simple ways to fix that, but Disney lacks creativity today and often moves to the path of least effort - "let's just go back to the old way..."

Like I said above, it's not a huge deal to me. I associate the drill with good memories and the start of a great vacation. But it seems like there are reasonable opportunities to make it easier on frequent cruisers without compromising safety.
Are you? I have heard of people cheating the system and 1 person in the family or group doing it for all. Nothing worse than a bunch of people running around without a clue in an emergency. While the physical drill won't stop that completely it has a better chance of working. As I replied to someone else. I work in an industry where if safety isn't taking the highest priority people can die so I am all for a few minutes of inconvenience for the priveledge of sailling on their ship.

If you're agreeing to go on a Disney cruise, you're agreeing to abide by their safety rules, including attending whatever muster drill they want to have. Of course they can and should force people to go.
I agree. They should and they do. But as the other poster pointed out, forcing them doesn't mean they will do what it was intended to do. And from my experience, these people do affect the rest.

Unfortunately, my family and I watched a group of adults who thought it was helpful to comment very loudly to each instruction. I know there's always people like that...but some people react immaturely when required to do anything...and the rest of the people end up suffering because of it.

Don't get me wrong...I was happy they were there instead of, in their own words, "relaxing by the pool with a beer"...they didn't get what they were there to do and they didn't pay attention because they had no intention of being informed.

Image may contain Transportation Vehicle Ship Shipwreck and Boat

This is the reason you do actual drills and don’t “phone it in”. Costa Concordia. Sank 10 years ago. 32 dead. Stop complaining about taking an hour out of your precious cruise that could very well save your life. Coming from someone who sailed the world for 25 years.

I think there were about 120 guests. But, the small size did not seem to change the process. Most people were on time and had their life jackets with them. Some people were late and crew members had to go get them. Some came without life jackets and had to go back. We were all on the top deck in the sun on a day when it was 95 and humid. The process took about 30 minutes altogether.

Nah it changes the process you are not crammed in consolidated areas that weren't really meant for a 3k/4k/5k amount of people at a time.

Waiting there is just part of it, it's really the crowds and such that are the worst.

Image may contain Transportation Vehicle Ship Shipwreck and Boat

This is the reason you do actual drills and don’t “phone it in”. Costa Concordia. Sank 10 years ago. 32 dead. Stop complaining about taking an hour out of your precious cruise that could very well save your life. Coming from someone who sailed the world for 25 years.

And you can learn absolutely everything from doing a app based training and then showing up at your muster station.

Also watch anything on the Costa and you are unlikely to find such an incompetent captain on Disney. The Capitan is the reason for why people died. (was sentenced to prison for like 17 years)

No one is saying to not have any safety review and muster check in.

Last edited:
Are you? I have heard of people cheating the system and 1 person in the family or group doing it for all. Nothing worse than a bunch of people running around without a clue in an emergency. While the physical drill won't stop that completely it has a better chance of working. As I replied to someone else. I work in an industry where if safety isn't taking the highest priority people can die so I am all for a few minutes of inconvenience for the priveledge of sailling on their ship.

Yet Disney can easily solve for that. They won't though because they have people acting as if there is no other alternative.

Also 1 ship in 20 years has sank with a convicted criminal captaining the ship. So yes take safety seriously but let's keep things in focus as well.

I have enjoyed reading all the posts and the comments (too bad none were from DCL explaining why). I still believe that you learn as much, if not more from the family gathering in the stateroom and watching the instructional video. I also believe that for the most part, even if only one person was going to the muster station to sign in, in the end, the entire sailing party does know where to report to. I can't wait to hear all the above supporters who don't get the plush indoor muster stations on a 90 degree day with 95% humidity standing on the starboard side of deck 4 at station H for 20 minutes extol the virtues and wonder of the in-person muster drill over the app-based version all the other cruise lines seem to be able to successfully employ. Please be sure to check back in with us then. Thanks
Katesdad

Also 1 ship in 20 years has sank
And your point? it sank, how many people died. Those who were to direct people failed -so one more reason to know what to do.
Hey neither of us are right, and neither of us are wrong- just 2 differing opinions. Personally, I pray I never have to find out and I will endure whatever Disney wants to sail on their ship.

Besides - you don't think Disney does it for any other reason than a CYA and to avoid lawsuits. The inperson muster they can prove you went there and you were informed because they do a physical count. Lets not fool ourselves into thinking Disney cares about anything more than protecting the bottom line. That has been 100% evident in the way the company is doing things across all venues lately.

I have enjoyed reading all the posts and the comments (too bad none were from DCL explaining why). I still believe that you learn as much, if not more from the family gathering in the stateroom and watching the instructional video. I also believe that for the most part, even if only one person was going to the muster station to sign in, in the end, the entire sailing party does know where to report to. I can't wait to hear all the above supporters who don't get the plush indoor muster stations on a 90 degree day with 95% humidity standing on the starboard side of deck 4 at station H for 20 minutes extol the virtues and wonder of the in-person muster drill over the app-based version all the other cruise lines seem to be able to successfully employ. Please be sure to check back in with us then. Thanks
Katesdad
Been there, done that multiple times. Yes, it can be a bit uncomfortable for the short time the muster drill is taking place. I would say it’s less uncomfortable than sitting in one of the theaters for a 45 minute show or movie where there is little legroom.

I thought the video was well done and can work in conjunction with in person. All I ask is that as long as DCL requires all passengers to attend in person for those who think not showing up is the hill on which to die upon to make a different choice.

Katesdad
Why do you think that all people in the stateroom will know where the muster station is if only one person goes to check-in? Oh and out of 25 DCL cruises I have only been inside for muster once. Actually if was up to me I think everyone should go to muster drills with their lifejackets. Not a popular opinion but when we sailed on DCL with my daughters when they were small there were multiple times when there were just all adult lifejackets or one time when it was one adult and 3 children's . The last couple of cruises I have been guilty of not even checking the life jackets where if I had to muster with them I would have known for sure what was in the closet.

Last edited:
It's a bummer, but I get it. I do wish they would make exceptions for those who have cruised frequently/recently, as it is very repetitive and doesn't seem to increase safety materially in those situations.
It's the same for the safety briefings that are given on every flight. I think it's meant to be so repetitive that everyone will know what to do because they have done it so many times. Plus, for the cruise ships, your station is usually different every time.

I can't wait to hear all the above supporters who don't get the plush indoor muster stations on a 90 degree day with 95% humidity standing on the starboard side of deck 4 at station H for 20 minutes extol the virtues and wonder of the in-person muster drill over the app-based version
That would be me. I, personally, believe that everyone actually going to the muster station, checking in, and lining up for further information (like would be required in an actual emergency) is a better process. It would aid in the "muscle memory" or whatever you call it, of actually, physically doing something aids in repeating the process.

I also look around at the drill to see who's paying attention, as those would be the people who most likely would keep a cooler head during an emergency.

I wonder if some sort of hybrid/compromise would work?

We've sailed another line a few times since COVID and while there was never a virtual only option, it was super streamlined and seemed much more efficient. As soon as you boarded the ship you were directed immediately to your muster station. So you physically had to go there and listen to the short spiel about the lifejacket and whatnot. Then your entire party was scanned in (so yes, everyone had to be there) and you were sent on your way. Took maybe 10 minutes and done. I don't think you could even use your key card until you completed the muster drill.

You didn't have to stop whatever you were doing to go stand on a deck, you still physically knew where on the ship your station was, you didn't have to wait for latecomers, etc. I thought the entire thing worked great.

It's the same for the safety briefings that are given on every flight. I think it's meant to be so repetitive that everyone will know what to do because they have done it so many times. Plus, for the cruise ships, your station is usually different every time.
To be clear, I wasn't saying they shouldn't get the briefing, just that they could do the briefing in their room and check in at the station. The repetition would still be there. I get the argument that you can better ensure people are listening to it while on deck, but from what I have observed, those who want to listen will, those who don't, won't, regardless of location. From what I have read, in a real emergency, few go to their proper muster location, even back when the live drills were mandatory. But, It's really not the big of a deal to me either way. First-person accounts I have read of the Costa experience are harrowing, and I personally take it very seriously, even if the odds of an actual problem are miniscule.

And your point? it sank, how many people died. Those who were to direct people failed -so one more reason to know what to do.
Hey neither of us are right, and neither of us are wrong- just 2 differing opinions. Personally, I pray I never have to find out and I will endure whatever Disney wants to sail on their ship.

Besides - you don't think Disney does it for any other reason than a CYA and to avoid lawsuits. The inperson muster they can prove you went there and you were informed because they do a physical count. Lets not fool ourselves into thinking Disney cares about anything more than protecting the bottom line. That has been 100% evident in the way the company is doing things across all venues lately.

If you did a review of what happened you would realize knowing the emergency procedures wouldn't help you then as the listing of the ship made it impossible to lower certain lifeboats from the ship. They were sending individuals to other stations chaotically and even having people climb down ladders trying to get everyone off the ship.

So yes the boat sank, yes people died tragically, but none of it had to do with the preparedness of the passengers.

Also you would realize that the ship was struck, took on water, lost power, the coast guard contacted the ship, the captain downplayed the issue, didn't order evacuation to lifeboats quickly (abandon ship wasn't sounded for over an hour), and ultimately cause the deaths as a result.

Also none of this takes away that a virtual review of the safety procedure followed by in person check-in at muster stations makes you or anyone less safe if done correctly.

https://www.rina.org.uk/costa_concordia_passenger_evacuation.html
https://news.sky.com/story/costa-concordia-victims-last-moments-revealed-10452732

I wonder if some sort of hybrid/compromise would work?

We've sailed another line a few times since COVID and while there was never a virtual only option, it was super streamlined and seemed much more efficient. As soon as you boarded the ship you were directed immediately to your muster station. So you physically had to go there and listen to the short spiel about the lifejacket and whatnot. Then your entire party was scanned in (so yes, everyone had to be there) and you were sent on your way. Took maybe 10 minutes and done. I don't think you could even use your key card until you completed the muster drill.

You didn't have to stop whatever you were doing to go stand on a deck, you still physically knew where on the ship your station was, you didn't have to wait for latecomers, etc. I thought the entire thing worked great.
I really like this plan. It's somewhat similar to our experience on the Magic this June. We were directed by every cast member to our station, very first thing, before we could do anything else, then got the direction on the TV later. The only difference here is that you would do the in-person direction at the station, before you moved onto anything else. It might be more work for the cast members, but it would be a much better guest experience. They could make sure your cards won't work for anything until you have reported in. Not even your room access. Maybe even ask people as they enter Cabanas if they have completed it and say it's required before eating. They would have to figure out how to show you what the emergency horn sounds like, as they couldn't do that over and over again. What did they do for that in your case?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter