Why didn't you all tell me the Wonder is the best ship in the fleet?

Like many people, the Wonder was my first cruise back when she was sailing the Bahamas. Nostalgia has something to do with it, but she's a very well kept ship and is a good size and easy to navigate. I hate that she's out West now as those trips are harder for me to take, but hopefully one day she'll be back in the Atlantic.

Well, she is a year younger than Magic, who has been a workhorse over the years.

Seriously, happy to hear it was Wonderful. Not just the ship, but the total package.

I wonder (that was not intentional) if part of the wear and tear on Magic is related to itineraries. She continues to do a lot of warm weather, beach vacations. Or the type people who work and travel to places like Alaska, Hawaii, or Australia are gentler to her.

Again, yeah.
Magic did transatlantic sailings nearly every year for a long time, which might have something to do with it.

$5 Cocktails, no tax:
cSydqx8.jpg

Last edited:
IMO, both Magic and Wonder have seen better days. I would sail on them for short jaunts, as that's where they still have value. We have great memories of both. Spent a combined 5 weeks on the two as recently as in 2022.

But, today, the ships have tired rooms, aging engineering, hardly any dining options, and small public areas. They do serve a necessary price point, and I understand why Disney is still invested in them.
How do the Dream and the Fantasy compare to the Magic and the Wonder when you say ‘hardly any dining options’? Obviously they should have more dining options as they are bigger ships, but is there such a big difference?

Rough shake down cruises for the crews figuring it all out coming outta the Covid shut down.

Seems it took a spell for the ships to get some things up to expectations for some guests. Food quality suffered I'll testify to that.

We chat with some couples that say they will only sail the Magic and Wonder and they fear the ships older life may mean coming closer to selling time.

The bigger DCL ships are cattle boats as far as they are concerned. Lack the boutique character of the smaller ships. I concur the smaller DCL ships have the cruise liner feel as designed, not so much the nervous energy and touristy character like a Carnival Cruise line boat has.

IMG_2961.jpeg

Last edited:
How do the Dream and the Fantasy compare to the Magic and the Wonder when you say ‘hardly any dining options’? Obviously they should have more dining options as they are bigger ships, but is there such a big difference?
Before consignment to Europe, Dream/Fantasy had shorter itineraries. Even on a 7-nighter, you could splurge on Remy, enjoy Palo, and then do the remaining nights in the MDR with some entertainment. Not a huge upgrade over the Magic, no. I reckon the MDR chefs would still have to get creative if the ships were sent across the Pacific with nearly a dozen sea days.

Yeah, I don’t get that complaint- there’s just one additional paid restaurant on the Dream class, no? Still 3 MDRs, Cabanas, and basically the same pool deck food. So unless you’re wanting to pay to eat at Remy, your options are essentially the same.

It's interesting how many people prefer the Wonder AND it was the first DCL ship they sailed on. It could be that the preference is driven by nostalgia.

Our first (and second) DCL cruise was on the Fantasy and we found the Wonder disappointing in comparison. Could be down to nostalgia and better itineraries, however my wife and I really enjoyed the Meridian bar sitting outside having a drink outside at the back of the ship, and the Skyline Bar for the cocktails with an international flavour and the changing cityscapes, and the kids loved the Aquaduck and Midship Detective Agency. We missed those things when sailing on the Wonder.

We also had trouble sleeping on the Wonder as it was really noisy, and I don't mean engine or other passenger noise. We initially thought the nighttime noise was rodents and reported it, but we eventually worked out that it was old fittings rubbing together and against the walls. Not great.

Last edited:
In Alaska the towns were choked with diesel fumes from the ships in the harbor.
It was choking I'll agree.

Switching over to LNG/Natural gas fueled - cleaner running ships now is essential.
The newer DCL ships are LNG fueled.

Norway will only let LNG ships into Fjords now.
Unlikely Alaska will, that state runs on diesel aka Kerosene/JP4.
As you walk about Alaska towns look at the fuel tanks next to buildings and residences.

Long list of reciprocating diesel engine powered elect generating plants in Alaska towns. Long long list.

May not be so financially doable converting an older ship to LNG. Another excuse to replace them.

It's interesting how many people prefer the Wonder AND it was the first DCL ship they sailed on. It could be that the preference is driven by nostalgia.
Our first DCL ship was the Magic back in 2011. We have since been on the Magic in 2018 for a 10-day cruise of the Med and now the Wonder twice (2022 and just this past April). All our cruises have been 7 days or longer.

We have not been on any of the larger ships. We prefer the Wonder and Magic over the larger ships. It is just my wife and myself, since the added kid club features don't add any value for us. We also prefer that the two classics are smaller and have less people onboard, so we feel that it gives us a more intimate experience and easier for us to interact with the entertainment crew. A good example of this is on our last cruise, we got to meet the young lady who played Elsa in the theatre production of Frozen and her family while doing 80's music trivia. They were looking for a place to sit and I offered them a seat at our booth. We got to talking after we won and that is when they let us know she was playing Elsa. We thought that was so cool.

Psy

I'm on a first name basis and known by all the bartenders on the Magic and Wonder. Ships sets sail and I hear "welcome home" when I walk in for a beer and a ball game on one of the many TVs.
Best bars are on Disney ships. Warm, friendly character and talented employees with finesse' and covered with Pixie Dust.

Adults only districts are a great idea a bonus. We often sail without kids.

Our first (and second) DCL cruise was on the Fantasy and we found the Wonder disappointing in comparison. Could be down to nostalgia and better itineraries, however my wife and I really enjoyed the Meridian bar sitting outside having a drink outside at the back of the ship, and the Skyline Bar for the cocktails with an international flavour and the changing cityscapes, and the kids loved the Aquaduck and Midship Detective Agency. We missed those things when sailing on the Wonder.

We also had trouble sleeping on the Wonder as it was really noisy, and I don't mean engine or other passenger noise. We initially thought the nighttime noise was rodents and reported it, but we eventually worked out that it was old fittings rubbing together and against the walls. Not great.

The Fantasy was our first ship and we sailed her several times before the Magic and Wonder, so it isn't nostalgia for me. I love the Fantasy, but I don't think the extra real estate really adds much for me, as it doesn't really seem like it increases the size of many spaces in proportion to the extra people it adds, with the Atrium probably being the biggest exception. I do like the upper deck areas of the adult pool area on the Fantasy more too. I also like the undersea vibe that Animators Pallet has one night, which I miss on the Wonder.

I like to sail aft (particularly now that we are getting ADA rooms for my daughter) and the vibration issue is real on the Fantasy, so we actually found the Wonder to be much better for sleeping and noise in the room. The last time we sailed the Fantasy, it felt like one of those dirty motel room vibrating beds and the room made a high-frequency rattling noise in all directions much of the time. Even sitting in Animator's Pallet, it was a small annoyance at times.

I very much like the UK and Irish themed bars, plus Keys and the Cadillac Lounge on the Magic and Wonder over the Fantasy bars too. They are places I like to hangout, where as the Skyline is a bit too dark and modern for my tastes, and that Carousel one feels strange and is too open to kids running through. But I do really like Ooh La La and missed it on the Wonder.

We also only go to the one main theater production now, and Aladdin isn't my favorite. The last time I saw it, the production value just wasn't great, and I find it jarring to see someone try to replace Robin William's perfect genie. I thought the same thing would happen with Olaf, since Josh Gad is so good, but the actor was spot on and really captured the original character.

I also like that the Wonder dumps less people in port.

In the end, they are both great ships that I love; I would pick the Wonder first, but would still be thrilled to be on the Fantasy. We are sailing the Celebrity Edge this August, which will be where the real differences pop up. I am beyond excited to see how we like it.

Last edited:
The Fantasy was our first ship and we sailed her several times before the Magic and Wonder, so it isn't nostalgia for me. I love the Fantasy, but I don't think the extra real estate really adds much for me, as it doesn't really seem like it increases the size of many spaces in proportion to the extra people it adds, with the Atrium probably being the biggest exception. I do like the upper deck areas of the adult pool area on the Fantasy more too. I also like the undersea vibe that Animators Pallet has one night, which I miss on the Wonder.

I like to sail aft (particularly now that we are getting ADA rooms for my daughter) and the vibration issue is real on the Fantasy, so we actually found the Wonder to be much better for sleeping and noise in the room. The last time we sailed the Fantasy, it felt like one of those dirty motel room vibrating beds and the room made a high-frequency rattling noise in all directions much of the time. Even sitting in Animator's Pallet, it was a small annoyance at times.

We also only go to the one main theater production now, and Aladdin isn't my favorite. The last time I saw it, the production value just wasn't great, and I find it jarring to see someone try to replace Robin William's perfect genie. I thought the same thing would happen with Olaf, since Josh Gad is so good, but the actor was spot on and really captured the original character.

I also like that the Wonder dumps less people in port.

In the end, they are both great ships that I love, but I would pick the Wonder first, but would still be thrilled to be on the Fantasy. We are sailing the Celebrity Edge this August, which will be where the real differences pop up. I am beyond excited to see how we like it.
Dreams was the most amazing stage production I've seen in my life. Special effects, talent on stage, great story,, fantastic. I highly recommend it.
I wasn't going to go, but my daughters insisted I see it. Glad I went.

Dreams was the most amazing stage production I've seen in my life. Special effects, talent on stage, great story,, fantastic. I highly recommend it.
I wasn't going to go, but my daughters insisted I see it. Glad I went.

I think we saw it on the Magic. I remember liking it, but do I remember correctly that it has an adult playing a kid for much of the show? I always struggle with that choice in any of the DCL productions that do that. I know it's picky.

Frozen does it too, but at least they use puppets, and the actors did it so well that it didn't bother me as much as usual. It was also a very small part of the show.

I think we saw it on the Magic. I remember liking it, but do I remember correctly that it has an adult playing a kid for much of the show? I always struggle with that choice in any of the DCL productions that do that. I know it's picky.

Frozen does it too, but at least they use puppets, and the actors did it so well that it didn't bother me as much as usual. It was also a very small part of the show.
Might have been an understudy or child labor rules are tricky so we roll with it.
The kids love it, that's what counts. Heck, Mary Martin and later Cathy Rigby were the never grow up Peter Pan on Broadway with spectacular success.

Might have been an understudy or child labor rules are tricky so we roll with it.
The kids love it, that's what counts. Heck, Mary Martin and later Cathy Rigby were the never grow up Peter Pan on Broadway with spectacular success.

I completely understand the need for it. I just don't love it for entertainment purposes, including Peter Pan productions (I know that's blasphemy to some). My kids are in college now. We loved going to all the shows when they were young, and agree they are perfect for them. But now that we are all adults, it works well to hit up the main one, because that always seems to be better than the rest and it opens up our nights for hanging out together, which it great. But we will give Dreams a try again, because I do think I liked it.

It's one of the reasons we are excited to try another line. We love DCL, but don't get full value out of it when we only go to one show, don't do the character thing, and we are also tired of the menus and lack of other dinner options. DCL will always be a good fit for us, as we love so much about it, but we don't yet know if other lines are too.

Before consignment to Europe, Dream/Fantasy had shorter itineraries. Even on a 7-nighter, you could splurge on Remy, enjoy Palo, and then do the remaining nights in the MDR with some entertainment. Not a huge upgrade over the Magic, no. I reckon the MDR chefs would still have to get creative if the ships were sent across the Pacific with nearly a dozen sea days.

Splurging on the two adult restaurants is our plan the next time we sail Fantasy, or Palo for two nights if possible if on one of the smaller ships. It would be well worth the money for us to enjoy better cooked-to-order dinners and new menus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter