Why did Disney Destroy the Magic & Wonder?

I was on the Wonder a few weeks ago and the single staircase worked well. As mentioned earlier it meant that there was a space out of the way for character greets so made the space more functional. I did the art tour and apparently the new light fixture is reminiscent of the flower in Arials hair.

I love /laugh with your response to the idea of what you think has happened. I am guessing you are a visual person. And willing to express your first thought.

I hear myself saying ”this was horrible” out loud after tasting something recently. To a near-stranger. Those were strong words that could have been “I don’t particularly like this.” Well, it was said. Can’t unsay them. I don’t think it will affect the outcome of the world.

We got on the Magic in May, after dry dock. They had changed the Promenade and Lounge. I was not happy knowing this would be the case. The marble floor was replaced with “wooden” plank flooring. No more velvet curtains on the windows.

Yes, it is changed. The opulent look was gone. But the ocean wasn’t obscured by dust-catching cloth. The floor was functional and undoubtedly easier to maintain v. trying to keep any edges of marble from chipping $$$. There is more story-telling tied into the Lounge theme than “The Promenade Lounge” ever had. I had to admit it wasn’t the horror I was expecting.

(I am not a fan of the boring decor of the Adult area; navy and silvery gray. So I don’t get slowed down to stop and look as I rush to the next activity).

(I also enjoyed the chandelier - which I have since learned was polymer, not glass - and the Museum and Gardens in Seattle and the Bridge of Glass in Tacoma. Did you have the opportunity to notice every glass ball in the Garden reflected the Space Needle?)

Overall, I get a sentimental feeling of being in a familiar setting, like returning to camp, when I am on any Disney ship. They haven’t gone to a Las Vegas/ nightclub look like some cruise lines. Or have the look of a shopping mall upon entering (Royal Caribbean Oasis class).

The Magic still perpetuates enough of the Oceanliner meets Disney style to bring the warm feelings.

This is from a company who’s main character has gone from this
IMG_6947.jpeg
to this
IMG_6949.jpeg
… and then there was creepy Mortimer Mouse.

Yes, change is often inevitable. Sometimes better, sometimes not.

The cruise experience is still pretty much the same (to me), including the menus 🤣

If I want elegance on DCL, I still have the beauty of the Fantasy Atrium. I consider that a showpiece.

So far, I am most happy that any changes to Castaway Cay have been decently unobtrusive. That would be the dealbreaker for me.

Hope you find continued, albeit modified decor-wise, happiness on whichever ship you sail 🚢

You will love the Magic. It is still our favorite of the 5 ships, especially when you are at Castaway!
YES! The smaller ships mean less people on Castaway Cay, and soon, Lighthouse Point. I could've booked a cruise on the Treasure for the same time frame (albeit double the price) as our 2025 cruise on the Magic. But besides the price difference, I also booked on the Magic so we could enjoy Lighthouse Point with less people.

The double staircase took up too much space, and Disney hosts a lot of events in the atrium.

I know it's not a popular opinion but dh and I always thought that glass design was ugly. I did enjoy the double staircase though. Apparently, DCL felt it was wasted space. It won't stop me from sailing on the Magic. I still love her.
I have a love/hate relationship to Chihuly’s works. I’ve seen several in museums and been to his gardens & exhibit in Seattle and seen his installation in the Bellagio. I appreciate the craftsmanship, but I think many are garish and ugly, too.

I would like to thank those who have been kind enough to answer my question and not detour into attacks on my post without even commenting on what I was genuinely hoping to learn about.

I had seen many photos and videos of the Magic at launch, and have childhood memories of watching the commercials for the Disney Cruise Line. Sailing on this ship has been in many regards a childhood dream, and I have vivid memories from those videos about the atrium, the Mickey Mouse Pool (which I believe has also been removed, but am not sure), and I have long been a fan of Dale Chihuly.

I also think that putting art on that level on the cruise ship makes a tremendous statement about your company's values, and speaks to the placement of DCL as a premium outfit. You're not just putting a generic chandelier up on the ceiling, but commissioning one of the world's foremost chandelier makers to create something unique for your vessels. While others may not feel that way, to me that embodies the Disney difference, Disney's commitment to serious artistry (embodied by collaborations with Robert Stern, Michael Graves, Julie Taymor, and countless other noted visual and performing artists).

It wasn't until last year our family was able to take a trip and sail on the Disney Wish, which was a remarkable experience. We felt the ship was beautiful and elegant, and that service and meals were at a higher level than other cruise lines we were able to experience in the past.

While the Wish is beautiful, it doesn't offer that 90s Disney elegance that I had seen on the Disney Magic clips I had seen in the past. When watching a show called Reimagining the Magic on Youtube I realized the striking two-staircase design was removed, and that the chandelier was replaced.

My concern was that Disney cost-cutting had caused what initially made the Magic seem so interesting to me had been removed due to corporate synergies, needs to reduce overhead, etc. I am glad to hear from many that the Magic is still a beautiful and enjoyable ship, despite losing some of these elements that were features at launch.

I would like to thank those who have been kind enough to answer my question and not detour into attacks on my post without even commenting on what I was genuinely hoping to learn about.

I had seen many photos and videos of the Magic at launch, and have childhood memories of watching the commercials for the Disney Cruise Line. Sailing on this ship has been in many regards a childhood dream, and I have vivid memories from those videos about the atrium, the Mickey Mouse Pool (which I believe has also been removed, but am not sure), and I have long been a fan of Dale Chihuly.

I also think that putting art on that level on the cruise ship makes a tremendous statement about your company's values, and speaks to the placement of DCL as a premium outfit. You're not just putting a generic chandelier up on the ceiling, but commissioning one of the world's foremost chandelier makers to create something unique for your vessels. While others may not feel that way, to me that embodies the Disney difference, Disney's commitment to serious artistry (embodied by collaborations with Robert Stern, Michael Graves, Julie Taymor, and countless other noted visual and performing artists).

It wasn't until last year our family was able to take a trip and sail on the Disney Wish, which was a remarkable experience. We felt the ship was beautiful and elegant, and that service and meals were at a higher level than other cruise lines we were able to experience in the past.

While the Wish is beautiful, it doesn't offer that 90s Disney elegance that I had seen on the Disney Magic clips I had seen in the past. When watching a show called Reimagining the Magic on Youtube I realized the striking two-staircase design was removed, and that the chandelier was replaced.

My concern was that Disney cost-cutting had caused what initially made the Magic seem so interesting to me had been removed due to corporate synergies, needs to reduce overhead, etc. I am glad to hear from many that the Magic is still a beautiful and enjoyable ship, despite losing some of these elements that were features at launch.
I didn't like the Wish at first but it's growing on me.

Like anything else, things just change overtime. What worked on the Magic in the 90s may not work now. They are constantly changing things, just like any other company or industry. I mean, at first Disney ONLY sailed to the Bahamas and Caribbean. Now they are all over the world.

Some of the changes I like, and some I don't but it generally doesn't take away from anything or make the experience bad.

I personally hated the Chihuly chandelier. I thought it was quite ugly and didn't suit the area at all. I didn't particularly like the replacement which I found to be undersized but I preferred it to the original. The second staircase was almost always blocked off because there was something going on at the base or the top so it was always kind of useless. With the second staircase removed, it has opened up the atrium much more and added some needed light.

so glad to hear this. I was worried that perhaps if those two elements were removed it just became a small older ship without the elegance...

we will look to book a trip on the magic either fall 2024 or summer 2025 based on your recommendation.

sounds like the staircase, despite the asymmetry might be in practicality a good thing.

I guess folks didn't miss the chandeliers. Maybe they didn't know who the sculptor was and his importance to the craft. To me, I thought it so fit in with Eisner's theme for Disney in the 90s --- using outstanding architects, being at the forefront of design, etc.
Do not be afraid to try the Magic or the Wonder. We were lucky to go on both the Magic and Wonder before they were reimagined. They still hold the same magic for us. The atrium does feel much more open with one staircase. I loved the Dale Chihuly chandeliers, but I really like the new one on the Wonder, as well. I cannot stand the one on the Magic. We were on the Wonder last February and the Magic in October. They both still fee like home to us. We finally sailed on the Dream last summer for 11 nights in the Mediterranean. Enjoyed it very much, but our hearts still belong to the originals.

Last edited:

You posted something that you knew would get a strong reaction. You can't be too surprised that you got the reaction that you expected. When you post outright fabrications, you know you are going to get called out.

I have watched many films about the ships at launch.

They had a beautiful double staircase

and a sculpture by one of the world's greatest glass designers, Dale chihuly

Michael Eisner created such an elegant space.... As glorious as the Titanic!

Why would Disney trash this and replace it???

Very sad to hear this... We were thinking of planning a cruise on the Magic, and were considering an Alaskan cruise on the Wonder... Might have to stick to the Triton Class and Fantasy/Dream which are much more cost effective....

Does the Magic even offer anything special at this point???

Very sad to learn this....
The Magic is a wonderful ship. Nothing like the clickbait title that your post implies.

We were on the magic a few weeks ago and the entire cruise was a disappointment. It was so crowded character lines were an hour long! Dinner took so long we barely made the show. Cast members were flustered and bordered on rude. Not likely to sail Disney again soon.

Absolutely an outrageous accusation. The Wonder is one of the finest cruise ships in the industry. Disney does an excellent job keeping up to high standards.
We love the two classic ships and have spent ~75% of our 90 or so cruise days/nights on them. I couldn't care less about GoCarts, neighborhoods and all the features of a "modern" 5,000+ passenger ship.

IMO, the two staircases hindered Deck 5 / Atrium usage for character meets, performances and orderly traffic flow.

Maybe I will feel differently after we finish our Hawaii=>Vancouver trip in 5 weeks.

We were on the magic a few weeks ago and the entire cruise was a disappointment. It was so crowded character lines were an hour long! Dinner took so long we barely made the show. Cast members were flustered and bordered on rude. Not likely to sail Disney again soon.

Clearly, you had a dose of bad Kool-Aid or have antibodies to it.

Sad to hear you wasted vacation time and money, although it will save you a fortune in the long run.

Hopefully, whatever was going wrong on that particular cruise was a one-off. But I know reports of bad cruises do pop up (as do bad cruise experiences).

Best of luck in your future life activities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter