Why Chapek is to blame? (Why not D’Amaro or others?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chapek has taken over profit/loss responsibility from departments and moved it into his inner circle. Decisions that used to be with the head of Parks is now a few at the top decide. Take any and all revenue from the parks and use it to build a technology company. Use the guests' money, as fast as you can harvest it, to feed Disney+ and Hulu and ESPN+ until such time as that new pillar boosts stock price into the stratosphere. Never mind that Netflix couldn't do it, becuase ... they are not Disney!
This.

It’s all laid out in the CNBC article about Chapek/Iger’s falling out. A department head can only do so much when they’ve been disempowered to even run their own departmental budget, and the company is just using D'Amaro's unsexy, creative, guest facing department as pocket change to fund the real objective: Become a tech company focused on impersonal streaming.

Last edited:
There is no way one man is responsible for all of this. This goes beyond Chapek. Much like the President there are several cooks with their hands in the pot. No business leaves all the decisions up to one person. Its collective.

There is no way one man is responsible for all of this. This goes beyond Chapek. Much like the President there are several cooks with their hands in the pot. No business leaves all the decisions up to one person. Its collective.
I agree with what you said. I know people don't want to believe or hear this but a lot of what has been cut or changed are things they have always wanted to do.

Disney held the bottom line just fine for years. MANY people said we were insane for the money we spent. You KNEW it would cost a lot but the value/experience always exceeded expectations. NOW, you just feel like you are getting screwed at every turn. They have taken it too far. They are riding the COVID train that will end soon but they will still get the suckers -- me included because of my kids.

Disney held the bottom line just fine for years. MANY people said we were insane for the money we spent. You KNEW it would cost a lot but the value/experience always exceeded expectations. NOW, you just feel like you are getting screwed at every turn. They have taken it too far. They are riding the COVID train that will end soon but they will still get the suckers -- me included because of my kids.
In all honesty all Covid did was speed up the things Disney has always wanted to do. Paid FP, better labor control with the park reservation system, getting rid of Magic Express. IMO they are changing the demographic they are after.

In all honesty all Covid did was speed up the things Disney has always wanted to do. Paid FP, better labor control with the park reservation system, getting rid of Magic Express. IMO they are changing the demographic they are after.
100%. It's the perfect excuse too.

I agree with you. But with that said; and not trying to brag here, but I am that demographic they are after. With all they have done and continue to do, I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.

I agree with you. But with that said; and not trying to brag here, but I am that demographic they are after. With all they have done and continue to do, I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.
Agreed. Within that demographic they are looking for those who " don't know better". They either have never been or just started going so don't know how good Disney once was.

Bob is the boss. I dont believe he lays awake at night and works out how to cut the percentage of sauce is a burger. But he can sure tell them to put more in.

Its all on his watch therefore its his fault.

If i owned a garage and took advise from my tech to put a cheaper grade oil in and stop offering coffee for waiting guests then saw how unhappy they where and did nothing about it whos fault is it?

It does not require millions on research, take a look here the DIBB and trip adviser.

The ongoing theory is Chapek is using park revenue to invest into innovations as a technology company, to get the stock price at a multiple like others in that space. There is a fleeting window to be leader in that space, and Chapek has sold the board that his way will get them there. Hence all the pricing changes and charges is to maximise revenue for maximum investment dollars into Disney+ and other investments. There was an article from the Motley Fool about subscriptions hitting a peak. The gist of the article is for Disney+ to grow in subscriptions then they have to focus more on getting subscribers to switch from other services. Perhaps this take the form of adult content (via Hulu?) and more sports (expensive TV contract dolalrs?) and initial movie content or serials (expensive actors?) to get subscribers over to the preferred platform.
https://www.fool.com/investing/2022...hoo-host&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=article

For these reasons, that using parks as a bottomless piggy bank to accomplish a goal in decline, is why this is Chapek's fault. And now entry into political sphere that basically "pokes the bear" gives some number of people reason to switch and some reason not to switch. Was it really necessary to expose TWDC to these market forces to accomplish the goal of increasing value?

I am in the same boat. We are lucky to go to Disney 2-3X a year w/o pause. But, I am at the point where I feel like I am getting taken advantage of. Perhaps they are able to get enough 3-5 year ppl to fill the parks as the die hards stop going.

There is a school of thought that the TWDC Board is actually in charge of the TWDC. After all, TWDC hires the folks to run the company, e.g. CEO and CFO, etc. Maybe Sue Arnold thinks highly of Mr. Chapek's leadership? The majority of TWDC's Board predates Mr. Chapek's promotion to CEO and seat on the Board. If they weren't happy with his direction, well then, he'd be dismissed.

Am I missing something?

Sincerely,

The Unofficial Bob Chapek Apologist

Chapek isn't helping himself with statements like this ...

CNBC Chapek Transcript

BOORSTIN: So the lowest price days have stayed the same. But the truth is, is that the more crowded times, the more popular times those prices have gone up. There’s been backlash online. People want to be able to afford to take their families, how do you address those concerns and what is driving those prices up? Is it inflation, is it labor shortages?

CHAPEK: Demand. This is a supply and demand business. Unfortunately, unlike say Disney+, we have a fixed supply and we commit to our guests to give them the absolute best Disney experience no matter when they come. And, you know, one of the ways that we do that is by taking those guests that want to have a more bespoke, more personalized, more customized, more expensive day and using that essentially to keep the lower prices on again, the second Tuesday in September. And so, it’s really demand that drives it.
I agree. For veteran Disney fans, some statements that get me are when Chapek says this about EPCOT "The New EPCOT is more Disney..." ummmm is it really? Have you heard the audio from EPCOT opening day and its original purpose? I'm all for change and renovation, but don't claim it's something it's not.

I agree. For veteran Disney fans, some statements that get me are when Chapek says this about EPCOT "The New EPCOT is more Disney..." ummmm is it really? Have you heard the audio from EPCOT opening day and its original purpose? I'm all for change and renovation, but don't claim it's something it's not.
I hate what Epcot has become too. The times I have brought it up the response from many seems they aren't interested in non IP based attractions. IMO they should have finished the original planned attractions for World Showcase. The problem seems to be IP is the only thing most fans care about. Maybe I'm unique that way but IP for any park isn't a draw for me. It's why I loved the original Epcot cause it was different then you regular Disney park. No IP to be found.

I hate what Epcot has become too. The times I have brought it up the response from many seems they aren't interested in non IP based attractions. IMO they should have finished the original planned attractions for World Showcase. The problem seems to be IP is the only thing most fans care about. Maybe I'm unique that way but IP for any park isn't a draw for me. It's why I loved the original Epcot cause it was different then you regular Disney park. No IP to be found.
I don't mind some IP if it's done right.

Watch this youtube video by Poseidon Entertainment. Perfectly sums up my major grievances against Disney changes and he does mention the use of IPs. Universal uses IPs and uses them better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter