Why buy little contracts?

RobertPerrin25

Earning My Ears
A while back I was thinking of buying a small 25 point add-on contract to certain resorts to get home resort booking privileges. Since then I've read in several places that only the 25 points (plus forward and backward banking) are the only points that have 11 month booking power. So what is the reason for getting small contracts like this since 25 points won't make much of a reservation?

RobertPerrin25 said:
A while back I was thinking of buying a small 25 point add-on contract to certain resorts to get home resort booking privileges. Since then I've read in several places that only the 25 points (plus forward and backward banking) are the only points that have 11 month booking power. So what is the reason for getting small contracts like this since 25 points won't make much of a reservation?

It suits how that owner vacations.

Some may want a few nights at another resort to begin their stay. Some may want to bank and borrow to get close to a week in a different resort every third year. It works best to add-on a small contract at a resort that you already own, but it can be a decent choice in a few cases.

Many owners add on small amounts of their current home resort. This gives you more points to use now and then later down the road if you do not need as many points you can sell off the small contracts.

At initial buy in, those members that know they need 300+ points will buy the total 300 in some makeup of small contracts. Gives them the same options of selling off some of the contracts later in life if they are not needed. Also gives them the option to transfer contracts to children.

Then there are the members that do not want to finance and want to accumulate their contracts as they have the cash available. Buying several 25 point contracts over the course of several years eventually get them what the they need.

Many reasons to buy small contracts.

Laura

Every three years its 75 points, which is six nights in a standard view studio for F&W at the Boardwalk. Or a week in Early December to see the decorations at VWL or BCV. Or a few nights conceirge at VAKL. Or a short trip to GCV - and all you really need there is two or three nights to completely see both parks. Or a place to stay for one of the marathons (it seems now Disney has several).

I think there are a lot of DVCers (not us) who take a number of short trips. If you live close enough or airfare from your city is cheap, staying three or four nights a few times a year makes a lot of sense - and if you are a Run Disney person, or love the special events - like Star Wars weekend and Food and Wine - then a lot of short trips spread throughout the year to be able to participate throughout the year makes sense.

It is also more flexible.

If you buy 1 300 point contract, the only way to downsize is sell the whole thing. If it is 6 50 pointers, you can sell off one or two.

Smaller contracts get a higher price per point on the resale market. (Though that point is negated if you BUY the small contract resale...you pay more for something you can sell for more, so you do not gain in that regard)

Plus what everyone else said

It can also allow you to have more home resorts by alternating the contracts. I have an 80-point contract at BLT and a 65-point contract at VGF. I'll use those in alternating years (using banking or borrowing), so I'll have 160 points to use one year at BLT and 130 at VGF the next year.

1) Easier to sell, if that day comes:(
2) Easier to will to the owners children. Can only put one name as a beneficiary on a contract (at least that's what we were told when we bought our initial contract and add-ons). Last add on was in 2010.
3) all the reasons PP listed ;)

One of our friends wanted to become members of VGF, but didn't want to purchase a great deal of points. They chose to purchase a small contract a few months prior to VGF being sold. They then were considered members and bought at the initial cost of $145. They used some of the points from their small initial contract and sold it for more than they paid.

This may not apply to many considering a small contract, but it saved our friends a good deal of money, enabling them to not finance their purchases.

We've bought small contracts because addonitis can be expensive otherwise.... like satisfying a chocolate craving with a Hershey Kiss rather than a whole solid chocolate bunny!!

We just purchased a 55 pt contract at BCV. We based our number on a plan to stay every other year in a studio and our recent 6N stay over Memorial Day wkend for 104 pts.

I have 163 pts but 5 different contracts (50, 33, 30, 25, 25) spread over 3 resorts. Crazy for some but I love it 3 different resort 11 month booking windows.

So to answer your question. Each one was bought in cash. No debt, and while we started with only 25 at okw it allowed us to build up slowly to where we are now. So i may not have started with a block of 160 pts but then again I didn't get a loan to the mouse and we own at both WLV and BLT!

Except for the 1st contract we bought direct, #1 I'm not THAT patient and #2 September use year seems to be rare. I don't think it's the end either... Waiting on poly! :)

Jennifer

Thanks for all the great responses. Now I have a better understanding of how to utilize small contracts.

We just bought a 65 pt contract at BWV...just enough points for home resort priority for a long (4-night) weekend during Food & Wine. Love F&W and BWV is über convenient!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We have a 50 point contract at OKW. Perfect for a 6 night stay every other year, or 5 nights at Aulani, and have even stayed 3 nights in a 1 bedroom at in the Villas at Grand Californian. I love Disney but my husband likes to visit other places as well. Last year we did Villas at Grand Californian, this year a non DVC stay in Maui, next year 5 nights at Aulani....etc.

Many years ago I initially purchased 196 points resale, then through the years purchased three additional contracts directly from DVC totally 300 points. As the kids got older and we didnt go as much, I was able to sell those smaller contracts (and make money on them!!) and now I just have my initial 196 points and love it. Maybe when the grand kids come in MANY years, I will add on!! but ment to mention, I also purchased my same resort and use year, making it all very easy in the bookkeeping part of things.

When we bought in 2004 at SSR our guide said smaller memberships like 150 or so would be better to sell if we needed or wanted to later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter