Why being a kid sucks

ElevationNotice

Early 2000's Fan
You can't do anything. Want to go somewhere? You can't. You're stuck at home. Want to go to bed whenever you want? Too bad, your parents tell you to go to bed at 10pm. Want to eat something else other than what your parents fixed? Too bad, you're still going to eat it.

Don't worry, EN, once you are out of your awkward teenager years and become an adult, you will start to appreciate what your parents did for you.

And if not, then you move out as soon as you can so you can stay up as late as you want, eat what you want and go wherever you want.

But I promise you, once you enter your thirties, your body will long for good healthy food and for sleep more than anything else.

Get through highschool first.

Last edited:
Peter Pan references are probably a better fit on this board, but let's go with Matilda. It is such a great song.

Ah yes, when I was young I remember thinking that being an adult would be so carefree! In some ways it is: my kids have never eaten tuna-noodle casserole or meatloaf because I swore I'd never eat them again. But... ugh. Adulthood comes with neverending chores (like having to figure out something to make for dinner every. freaking. night. And making sure you have stuff to make it. And.. And...) The grass is always greener, I guess.

Every stage of life has it's ups and downs. What you think is so important today, you will realize how it was not important later on. 99.9% of the time, you will see that your family will be there for you always to love and support you. The responsibilities in adult life are real. The worries are worse. One never stops worrying and thinking about tomorrow, the kids, the house, the bills, work and so on and so on.

We think we can do whatever we want, when we want when we get there (independence). But it is not so easy. Work is our new parents. You can't do much without work/parents. You will still have rules to follow - be at work every day, be on time every day. Have a car? The expenses of it and make sure you take care of it so it can take care of you. Hopefully you will do great and you will have time and $$ to enjoy life.

The list goes on and on. Enjoy those teenage years even if you are a bit past your teenage yearrs at home. Have fun within those limits (respecting your rules, go and finish school, etc.). Your parents will be there to cheer you on. I hope you have great friends that have the same goals as you.

And if you're "fortunate" enough to live to be old and you end up in a care home, it's like being a kid again. Want to go somewhere? You cant. Want to stay up late? You probably can't because the ward has quiet hours. Don't want what's served food-wise? Too bad. That's all you're getting. So the cycle comes around full circle. Might as well just try to enjoy wherever you are in life because it never really gets "better." Some parts of life will just always suck.

Yeah, well, being an adult ain't all that great either.
Yeah - especially for the 20 and 30 somethings.

Gen X had its challenges, but nothing like I see for these folks - worse that its plastered all over social media as well.

OP - these are the good times, enjoy it while you can - it probably is not 1\10th as bad as you think it is.

I'll trade some restrictions, most of which are for your own good, for the stress of work, life, and parenthood any day.

So far mid 20's to early 30's has been the easiest. I had a good job with no real expenses other than the mortgage and a standard bills and the only person that determined my time outside of work was me.

You can't do anything. Want to go somewhere? You can't. You're stuck at home. Want to go to bed whenever you want? Too bad, your parents tell you to go to bed at 10pm. Want to eat something else other than what your parents fixed? Too bad, you're still going to eat it.
I know, right?

Ha! My youngest turned 18 a couple weeks ago, and got his driver's license the same week. He was feeling very grown-up. He even had a second slice of birthday cake because "I'm an adult and it's my birthday!" I indulged him on that one, but...

He had to fill the gas on the car for the first time. It took 3 calls to his dad, but he manages.

He wanted a credit card. He was declined by the bank (not enough income--he's still in HS, only works part-time). So, I added him as an authorized user to mine. I would have done this anyway, prior to his departure for college, so he'd have access to a high credit limit if needed (stranded somewhere or something). The credit card arrived Monday, and he gleefully activated it. 20 minutes later, I get a fraud alert text on my phone. You guessed it, the very new credit card was promptly deactivated and shredded. New ones are coming.

All this happening in less than 3 weeks has really taken the wind out of his "adulting" sails. He still gets to drive himself places, including college (he's doing dual-enrollment). Luckily, his older brother only drives to/from work (Fedex, so he's home by 10am), and lets DS18 use that car the rest of the day.

I told him, being an adult isn't all it's cracked up to be.

I had those feelings at times when I could not stay up late, had to do chores, or could not eat junk food for dinner. Those things apply to me as an adult much of the time, too. I also have a thousand happy memories of time spent with my parents and the freedom of being a kid. Waking up on a summer morning and having someone cook me breakfast and letting me play outside with friends all day and come home by dark was pretty awesome.

I'll chime in with the unpopular opinion that being an adult is better than being a kid. I'm OK having to earn my own money if it means I can control where it goes and my time.

I'll chime in with the unpopular opinion that being an adult is better than being a kid. I'm OK having to earn my own money if it means I can control where it goes and my time.
You reminded me, as a kid, I didn't have kids to worry about! (and mine are 33 and 37, the worry never ends)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter