why are there never any "room only" discounts?

smidgy

dimples
I realize Universal competes with Disney... hence the multi=day passes for the price of 2 days, etc. we LOVE disney, but also LOVE universal. however, we have not been to universal nearly as often because of the room rates. they refuse to build a value resort. we love Royal Pacific, but, even that is pricey.
(we once did the "stay 4 nights, play for free package") but, face it, there isn't enough there for a whole week (yeah, you can throw in the sea world, busch gardens option)
we like to stay ONSITE, wherever we are, and would have visited universal MUCH MORE often, if they would ONLY offer onsite ROOM discounts. give us a discount on a room for 3 nights instead for a week long park pass.(really, we're NOT going to spend 7 days at 2 parks!), and we would have been there much more often instead of just "skipping universal this time". anyone else agree?

I realize Universal competes with Disney... hence the multi=day passes for the price of 2 days, etc. we LOVE disney, but also LOVE universal. however, we have not been to universal nearly as often because of the room rates. they refuse to build a value resort. we love Royal Pacific, but, even that is pricey.
(we once did the "stay 4 nights, play for free package") but, face it, there isn't enough there for a whole week (yeah, you can throw in the sea world, busch gardens option)
we like to stay ONSITE, wherever we are, and would have visited universal MUCH MORE often, if they would ONLY offer onsite ROOM discounts. give us a discount on a room for 3 nights instead for a week long park pass.(really, we're NOT going to spend 7 days at 2 parks!), and we would have been there much more often instead of just "skipping universal this time". anyone else agree?

Universal does offer room only discounts.
People that have the AAA card, AP, do get room only discounts.
Depending on the region of the usa you live, you can get the AAA membership for $40 a year.
besides using that card for a discount for the universal hotel, you get road side assistance, discounts off stores when you shop on line, 10% off park food and merch, etc....

shopping on line and using your AAA card, gets you great deals for many stores. The list is endless. Target gets my business and i get the discount with the AAA card.

That membership fee for AAA pays for itself in one month.

for people that want to stay 3 nights on site, they are eligible for the supersaver deals.
those ss rates are cheaper than the other discounts on the average.

I have doing the room only discounts for the last 9 years there.
I never pay rack rate.

came back to add i live in the chicago area also and i pay $40 a year for my membership.

you don't have to have a membership for each driver in your household.
only one person is needed to get the cheapest fee for signing up for AAA.

if you are flexible with the dates you visit universal, go in the low period.
rates can be as low as $145 at times for the hotels.

september has good rates each year.
they don't rise to the regular rate season until about oct. 3.
(the date varies each year)

check the calendar for the hotel section to find the low seasons universal has for the hotel rates.

thank you for the commercial for AAA. of course, we have been AAA members for years. that is NOT what I am talking about. if Disney has no special deals going, we pay AAA rates. we NEVER pay rack rate, ever! not even at the little motels on the drive down. we either pay AAA rates, AARP rates, or MOOSE benefits rates.
but Disney offers GREAT "room only" discounts, WAY below AAA rates. Universal never does.

excuse me, you thought i was giving you a commercial?

i was giving you suggestions in getting a discount for the rooms you asked about.

there are many people that ask about how to get cheaper rates than paying rack.

i was only trying to help you with information.

thank you for the commercial for AAA. of course, we have been AAA members for years. that is NOT what I am talking about. if Disney has no special deals going, we pay AAA rates. we NEVER pay rack rate, ever! not even at the little motels on the drive down. we either pay AAA rates, AARP rates, or MOOSE benefits rates.
but Disney offers GREAT "room only" discounts, WAY below AAA rates. Universal never does.

I think that was uncalled for and rude. macraven was trying to help .. how could she know if you had AAA or not?

Second, many of us are glad that they have not built a colossal value resort. I wouldn't mind if they did but did NOT offer FOTL (unlimited express access) for those staying there. To me, the rates are higher and I don't mind paying them for 2 reasons: 1) FOTL and 2) they are all Deluxe resorts with a loyalty program. A value resort for $89/99 a night that included FOTL, I think would cheapen the deluxe Universal on-site experience.

Third, there most certainly ARE room only discounts ... AAA, AP, FL resident, govt/military, and for absolutely everyone: The Super Saver rate that mac referred to. The SS rate drops significantly if you stay 4 nights instead of 3. For example, in April we can get a Portofino Suite with our You First Platinum upgrade for $210/night for 4 nights (a bargain, IMO) or $258/night for 3 nights.

So, to answer your original question, "no, I don't agree."

I agree Jodie...that WAS rude! :sad2:

Smidgy - perhaps you can give an example of what Disney's "room only" discount is you are talking about since we apparently don't know what you're talking about?
:rolleyes1

Yes, please tell us what it is you are looking for. Macraven was just trying to help you. Remember the old analogy, you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.:) I always use my AP to get a discount on a room. I buy an AP for myself and the difference in the price of the room pays for the AP. I don't book a package. I paid right at $200/night during Peak season at the end of June for PBH with my AP. I have gotten RPR for as little as $129 in the beginning of June. The three Universal hotels are deluxe resorts and offer perks that Disney doesn't (FOTL). The value is amazing! You can put 5 people in a room at any of the Universal hotels, if you bought express passes for each one of them for both parks during the busiest time of the season, you would already have paid for the room and you need a place to stay anyway. Also, the 7 day tickets are a great value too and you don't have to stay in the parks all 7 days, it's still a good value if you only use your tickets for 2 or 3 days.

I disagree with the statement there is not enough to do at universal for 7 day cause I have found when we go for 5 days that we always winde up missing things and always find something we missed the year before and plus I like the fact when you stay onsite at Universal everything is not spread so far apart that you have to take buses like you have to at Disney and don't get me wrong I like Disney but its just too tiresome trying to get around

That is incredibly RUDE! You asked about discounts. You were told what discount are available. The rates Lowes charges for the onsite Universal hotels is already good because of the FOTL perk. It is a WAY better perk than having FP's you go stick a card into a mchine for and then wait for your time to use it. I would not want to see a value hotel there either.

thank you for the commercial for AAA. of course, we have been AAA members for years. that is NOT what I am talking about.

YOU asked a question. Shooting back sarcasm is not a nice thing to do when someone helps.

I disagree with the statement there is not enough to do at universal for 7 day cause I have found when we go for 5 days that we always winde up missing things and always find something we missed the year before and plus I like the fact when you stay onsite at Universal everything is not spread so far apart that you have to take buses like you have to at Disney and don't get me wrong I like Disney but its just too tiresome trying to get around

I agree. After a week at Disney I feel like we need a vacation from our vacation. Universal is relaxing and slower paced thanks to FOTL passes. I pay much less for a week at Uni than a week at Disney, even when we've stayed at their value resorts. Universal treats us like guests , we feel Disney treats us like a dollar amount. The Dis Boards are so friendly and helpful. I am glad I found you guys.:worship:

I think that was uncalled for and rude. macraven was trying to help .. how could she know if you had AAA or not?

Second, many of us are glad that they have not built a colossal value resort. I wouldn't mind if they did but did NOT offer FOTL (unlimited express access) for those staying there. To me, the rates are higher and I don't mind paying them for 2 reasons: 1) FOTL and 2) they are all Deluxe resorts with a loyalty program. A value resort for $89/99 a night that included FOTL, I think would cheapen the deluxe Universal on-site experience.

Third, there most certainly ARE room only discounts ... AAA, AP, FL resident, govt/military, and for absolutely everyone: The Super Saver rate that mac referred to. The SS rate drops significantly if you stay 4 nights instead of 3. For example, in April we can get a Portofino Suite with our You First Platinum upgrade for $210/night for 4 nights (a bargain, IMO) or $258/night for 3 nights.

So, to answer your original question, "no, I don't agree."

You took the words right out of my mouth, Jodie!

My family of five can stay at Universal in ONE room versus the TWO we had to get at a Disney so that we were not tripping over each other. Could I have paid for a Deluxe resort at Disney to have more room? Sure, for ALOT more $$$$. I spend right around 300 per night for a Club Level, 2 Queen Deluxe Room onsite at Universal. Our breakfast and dinner were covered, our FOTL secured and no one can disagree how nice it is to walk to your room and relax at the pools after a day at the parks.

You asked for discounts, you were given answers....not commercials.

:sad2:

Mac speaks the truth and you flame her? :sad2: X 2!

As Mac said, good room only discounts can be had with AAA, AP and Super Saver! And the AAA rate for Universal hotels is a much better discount than the AAA rate discount for Disney in my opinion.

Understand that the Universal hotels compare to Disney Deluxe hotels, therefore their rates are very reasonable.

It always distresses me when someone goes out of their way to give a complex answer to a question from a complete stranger and it not only goes unappreciated but is criticized. People take a lot of time from their own busy schedule to help others out here in a completley unselfish way. Nobody benefits from giving advice on an anonymous internet board.

Loews Hotels gives excellent discounts on room only. The longer you stay, the less you pay. These rates automatically come up when you book online unlike Disney where you need to have special codes, etc. Not only do you get a great room within walking distance to all attractions but you also get unlimited express passes for the day you check in and the day you check out.

Universal also gives excellent prices on park tickets and annual passes which are way lower than Disney.

We have done the price comparisons many times here between Universal and Disney. Universal always comes up as a cheaper vacation in a nicer hotel.

Here is an example of a current room only discount. Royal Pacific Hotel -- Feb. 16 - 20 -- rack rate is $274 -- supersaver rate is $189.

Go back to the "other" side where comments and that sort of behavior is accepted. We try our best to be kind and give thorough info. Rudeness is just not what we need here.

It always distresses me when someone goes out of their way to give a complex answer to a question from a complete stranger and it not only goes unappreciated but is criticized. People take a lot of time from their own busy schedule to help others out here in a completley unselfish way. Nobody benefits from giving advice on an anonymous internet board.

Loews Hotels gives excellent discounts on room only. The longer you stay, the less you pay. These rates automatically come up when you book online unlike Disney where you need to have special codes, etc. Not only do you get a great room within walking distance to all attractions but you also get unlimited express passes for the day you check in and the day you check out.

Universal also gives excellent prices on park tickets and annual passes which are way lower than Disney.

We have done the price comparisons many times here between Universal and Disney. Universal always comes up as a cheaper vacation in a nicer hotel.

Here is an example of a current room only discount. Royal Pacific Hotel -- Feb. 16 - 20 -- rack rate is $274 -- supersaver rate is $189.

:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter