• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why are so many things still temporarily closed?

All of those things and more.

I don't think there are many more COVID "health and safety" reasons left, but there are definitely still "COVID wrecked the economy in all sorts of different ways" reasons.

One thing that often goes undiscussed when it comes to staffing is the fact that our borders have been closed to legal immigration since very early in the pandemic. I'm not saying this is good, bad, or indifferent, but Disney (and the entire hospitality industry) hires a ton of immigrants in all sorts of different roles.
To build on that, all the countries sans America are usually staffed by foreign exchange cast members during normal times. They’ve had to divert all sorts of staff to cover those positions and undoubtedly left them short in other places

I really prefer to try looking at the glass as half full, not half empty. I'm sure most of us remember how disappointing it was a year ago at this time at Disney - restaurants closed, shows canceled, just a mess - but at least they were open. A year later, it's still not 100%, but it's so much improved from last year. And I expect it will be even more improved 12 months from now.

Some of the things that are closed are probably still due to Covid related staffing and business issues. I'm totally bummed Ample Hills is closed!!

Some of the things are closed because they're building new attractions (the RR and Iron, as an example). But we do get excited by new attractions!

If people are going to WDW and spending most of the trip wishing for things that used to be, you're going to be disappointed. I prefer to go and enjoy the things that are there now, and look forward to more expansion in the upcoming years. I'm ecstatic Candlelight Processional and Christmas are back this year. I can find nothing negative in that!! Just my opinion.

Some of these issues are about Covid (apparently there is some kind of union agreement where characters/performers are to stay distanced from guests and each other, so shows are either restaged or shut down altogether to accommodate that) and some about staffing, and some about both.

If that is the case, shouldn’t the price of the tickets be reduced accordingly as they are not offering the full experience, whilst saving on staff costs?

If that were to be reasoned, they would have to offer a "reduced price often". Consider this: Can you possible see, do, eat, shop, enjoy every single thing there is offered on property in one visit. Answer NO. No one should ever expect a reduced price because things need updating or the RR station and train are closed (for our safety)

I just want Jiko to reopen before December 2022 so I can have my birthday dinner there.

Please and thank you.

You are certainly dating yourself!! I often think of the original TOTW too! Remember the dinner show? We enjoyed that back in the day! Sorry, off topic now!

I just got back from WDW, celebrating 50 years of going! My first visit was November 1971.

I never saw the show, I couldn't afford to get up there until much later. But that made it that much more interesting, always staring up there wondering how it would be.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ney-world-california-grill-through-the-years/

Agree with everyone's posts here...

... and I understand where the OP is coming from.

Obviously Disney won't reduce prices if there's still enough demand at current rates, but I think there's a serious risk of Disney causing damage to their brand at these prices with the level of "Skimpflation" going on right now. Even die-hard Disney super fans are having second thoughts about the value proposition Disney is offering (there are a couple of threads on this board with people expressing their frustrations).

We first went as a family 16 years ago. It was going to be a one-and-done big trip, to check off the WDW bucket list box. I was so stressed out about how much the trip was costing me before we went... on the flight home all I could think about was how soon we could afford to go back. The service, the "magic", the family memories... made it a strong value to me. I'm sure I'm not the only one who planned to go once and had since been back multiple times.

Last time we were there was fall of 2019, and I felt the value/price wasn't the same. Prices seem to have outpaced inflation, parks seemed a lot more crowded, our MNSSHP was "packed", and food/service seemed to decline... I also lost count of how many rides we went on that got backed up or stalled (I remember being bumped around in our boat on POTC stuck in a backlog thinking about how that felt more like six flags than WDW)

And, Covid didn't help - I think people going now are aware that it's not the full experience, but it's enough of an experience for them to get their "Disney fix"... and possibly to help support the place they love. That said, some people new to Disney (planning their first trip) might have different expectations and I question if there's enough magic there right now to emotionally tie them into coming back to Disney, like what happened to me so many years ago.

We've been planning a trip for early summer 2022, and I'm honestly having trouble getting excited about it (will Tron be done, will I be cleaning my own room, will the super friendly CM's be there, will there be the extra "magic" I experienced years ago?)

There’s actually been a term made up by economists to describe this phenomenon:

Skimflation. Companies that cut offerings during Covid not for safety but for money. In the story I read, the parking lot trams at Disney world were actually one of their examples, as well as calling customer service- that may sound familiar as well!

I really don’t think most of this is Disney just squeezing for $ when they could go back to pre-Covid operations. I don’t believe the
pre-covid world is coming back ever, and WDW management is not made up of all-seeing wizards. The parks - like everything else - are evolving and will eventually find equilibrium but it’s going to take a whole

The College Program just started back, but boy do I miss the International Cast Members at Epcot - the countries are just not the same. Pick a pearl is gone in Japan and I asked why, a Cast Member said it was a combination of ICM and labor shortage.

We've had some nice interactions with Cast Members, but a lot of unfriendly ones as well, we had one great interaction at Soarin today, they stopped the boarding group right as we got to the line, instead of starting us in the right section the Cast Member put us in the best seats middle, top row and then filled the right section, our section and left.

Companies don't look back and try to recreate the past, they look ahead to make even bigger profits.

If profit targets aren't met, they will act, either by cutting or by investing.

Giant companies like Disney also don't exactly move fast when it comes to spending money to improve services, either.

This is why some of the old favorites at Disney may not return.

I think the big question is where does this go? I am a Hilton Honors person and we have been notified it's not coming back. We can request what we need etc but it will be interesting in January when I have a week stay.

I've been staying in Marriott timeshares where we are used to not having any housekeeping BUT we have washer/dryers so I just wash the towels.

In my mind I'm prepared that hotels will severely limit housekeeping. Disney is only looking for part time housekeepers with $1000 bonuses. How they plan to be at full capacity and only add part time makes me think that full housekeeping is at risk.
I am Hilton Diamond and have received no such notification. Just back from a week at a Hilton in Boston (Faneuil Hall) and we had complete housekeeping service every day.

I agree the main issue at this point is staffing.
Many of the restaurants were still understaffed when we were there in October.
The college program has just restarted, so probably not at its usual level.
At least in EPCOT, many of the countries were staffed by people from that country and they haven't been able to return until this week.
If that is true, I would expect some of this to improve in the next few weeks.
However, at least around us, nearly every business is looking for employees. If that is true at Disney as well, it may be quite a while before things return to normal.

I am Hilton Diamond and have received no such notification. Just back from a week at a Hilton in Boston (Faneuil Hall) and we had complete housekeeping service every day.

Strange. I am Hilton Diamond as well and was notified of the permanent change. I wonder if it’s up to individual hotels. I’ll try and find something, am sure I didn’t keep email.

There are tons of articles from when info came out and maybe each hotel will handle it different.

https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-News/Hotel-News/Hilton-eliminates-daily-housekeeping
From Hilton - corporate new policy you will have to request services. In my mind if they only have a small staff since service is not standard, what you can get may also be impacted.

CHANGES TO OUR HOUSEKEEPING SERVICES

For your comfort, we want your stay to be as undisturbed as possible. Guests are invited to tailor their housekeeping services to their comfort level. To schedule, simply call the front desk. Additional amenities such as linens and toiletries are available upon request, delivered in protective packaging and placed at the guest room door.

Of course, all guest rooms will be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected between guests.

Please note, all Waldorf Astoria, Conrad and LXR properties have daily housekeeping as well as all of our properties in Asia Pacific. However, control over your stay is up to you, guests at any of our 18 brands can tailor their housekeeping services to their comfort level by contacting the front desk.

Last edited:
There’s actually been a term made up by economists to describe this phenomenon:

Skimflation. Companies that cut offerings during Covid not for safety but for money. In the story I read, the parking lot trams at Disney world were actually one of their examples, as well as calling customer service- that may sound familiar as well!

There were lots of things Disney needed or wanted to address .... COVID gave them the perfect environment to do so. Mostly money things but also operational things that make it hard to change without "a cover". All companies had the perfect time frame to make major changes. It likely was a smart move for most if they took advantage.

I think this is just a situation where progress seems slow but it is happening.

My favorite place in WDW,World Showcase,for example has seen some nice "little" progress recently with the reopen of The Sportsman Shoppe and The Crown and Crest in United Kingdom and the return of Entertainment Acts to Canada,Italy and Japan.

Of course World Showcase won't be World Showcase until the International Cast Members return-FWIW I am hearing that Disney wants to bring ALL the WS ICMs back at the same time and not a Country here and a Country there so I think we are still looking at quite a while-JMO I am hoping for Late Spring/Early Summer.

The College Program has made a HUGE difference since they returned in June and I understand their numbers are now approaching the 10,000 range!

They are EVERYWHERE-we were in World of Disney last Month and it felt like were on a College Campus!lol

Maybe Disney could be moving faster,maybe not-it is what it is.

I just keep reminding myself that this place was SHUTDOWN not too very long ago and I was on the outside looking in!lol :)

Strange. I am Hilton Diamond as well and was notified of the permanent change. I wonder if it’s up to individual hotels. I’ll try and find something, am sure I didn’t keep email.

There are tons of articles from when info came out and maybe each hotel will handle it different.

https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-News/Hotel-News/Hilton-eliminates-daily-housekeeping
From Hilton - corporate new policy you will have to request services. In my mind if they only have a small staff since service is not standard, what you can get may also be impacted.

CHANGES TO OUR HOUSEKEEPING SERVICES

For your comfort, we want your stay to be as undisturbed as possible. Guests are invited to tailor their housekeeping services to their comfort level. To schedule, simply call the front desk. Additional amenities such as linens and toiletries are available upon request, delivered in protective packaging and placed at the guest room door.

Of course, all guest rooms will be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected between guests.

Please note, all Waldorf Astoria, Conrad and LXR properties have daily housekeeping as well as all of our properties in Asia Pacific. However, control over your stay is up to you, guests at any of our 18 brands can tailor their housekeeping services to their comfort level by contacting the front desk.
Our last 2 stays at Hilton were definitely not as this policy describes. Daily housekeeping without scheduling, and definitely nothing in protective wrapping of any kind. This was 2 weeks ago. It could be regional as Massachusetts COVID numbers are very good or it may just be according to ability to fully staff. The aforementioned policy is definitely not permanent and across the board for all Hilton properties.

In Terms of entertainment:
Equity and AGMA/AGVA as well as IATSE and other unions are still evolving and going through rigorous changes due to Covid and other important things, but mainly covid.
as someone else said, they are still in the process of getting the CMs for World Showcase back. Last I heard, Italy would be among the first to fully return.
For fantasmic, it seems like they are updating all the equipment and really giving the area a good clean.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter