Why are Lamplight Lounge reservations so hard to get?

lauramckenna

Earning My Ears
From everything I’ve seen and read, LL is a good-not-great restaurant that is relatively overpriced even by Disney standards. So why is it such a hot reservation? Is it just the newness? Is it actually THAT good or THAT cool?

Because they purposefully only take a small number of reservations to leave room for plenty of walk ins. With so few spots available reservations are often swooped up once they become available. Don’t lose hope though, that standby line is usually between 15 minutes - an hour so you could always do that instead of a reservation. If you have your heart set on an actual reservation then keep checking. If anyone canceled their reservation it will pop up in the app or online as available for you to book. Best chance of swooping in on dropped reservations is to check often and at odd hours/late at night. Also ppl will sometimes post if they are going to cancel a popular reservation like lamplight lounge.

I also think that it's because they just don't take that many reservations. Guests with reservations are "guaranteed" a table in the downstairs, restaurant portion of the venue. The main benefits to a reservation are not having to wait in the walk-up line, access to the (full) restaurant menu, and that you can usually choose whether you want to be inside, outside, at the bar, or at the communal table downstairs. Walk-ups aren't always allowed to choose (sometimes they do, but not always). The upstairs seating area (old Cove Bar) is no reservations, so there is a fair amount of walk-up tables, but it doesn't have the full restaurant menu (no larger entrees or the donut dessert).

I asked the same when I visited.

Trick is you don't need a reservation.
There are two lines near the Lamplight Lounge,
One is for the bar the top level.
The bottom level has been always available for the 5 times that I have been.
Don't wait for the top level bar, go inside, put your name on the list, and expect to be seated in 5-15 minutes.
I was shocked how easy it was. Just keep in mind that the menu is quite expensive for what you get.

ME

I got our reservations exactly 60 days out and a few weeks later tried to change it and they were booked the whole time were there so I kept what I got

I also think that it's because they just don't take that many reservations. Guests with reservations are "guaranteed" a table in the downstairs, restaurant portion of the venue. The main benefits to a reservation are not having to wait in the walk-up line, access to the (full) restaurant menu, and that you can usually choose whether you want to be inside, outside, at the bar, or at the communal table downstairs. Walk-ups aren't always allowed to choose (sometimes they do, but not always). The upstairs seating area (old Cove Bar) is no reservations, so there is a fair amount of walk-up tables, but it doesn't have the full restaurant menu (no larger entrees or the donut dessert).

Figment, what is our best bet on request? We have a reservation. What is the "best" location to sit? It will be me and 2 kids (14 and 11). Does outside have heat lamps for winter? We are going the dreaded week after Christmas ;) Thank you!

I usually ask for a table inside, but I like air conditioning! I haven't yet gone when it's cold, so I don't know whether they'll have heating lamps/elements, but I'm guessing probably because other outdoor venues usually do. I think outside is the best if you want to see what's going on in the park, but I like indoor because of the A/C and there is quite a lot of decor on the walls to look at while you dine.

Hmmmmmm dang. Yeah. That is a predicament for me. It will be winter and dark outside so fun disney lights to look at while we eat, but also the inside decor. Dang it. Thanks. Got a lot to think about now! Thank you!

I usually ask for a table inside, but I like air conditioning! I haven't yet gone when it's cold, so I don't know whether they'll have heating lamps/elements, but I'm guessing probably because other outdoor venues usually do. I think outside is the best if you want to see what's going on in the park, but I like indoor because of the A/C and there is quite a lot of decor on the walls to look at while you dine.
I haven't dined there yet but on our last trip I recall looking out from across the bay at night and seeing some kind of fire on the patio. I assumed it was a fire pit or large heat lamp. I'm trying to figure out where to sit myself.

I haven't dined there yet but on our last trip I recall looking out from across the bay at night and seeing some kind of fire on the patio. I assumed it was a fire pit or large heat lamp. I'm trying to figure out where to sit myself.
There is a long raised bar style table that has a fire along the center of it. It is more for display than warmth. I think there were heat lamps for warmth.

We sat outside a few weeks ago during the day... it was a nice day and very comfortable. I think they probably have it dialed in for chilly evenings as well. I enjoyed sitting outside, the atmosphere was great!

I actually do have a reservation! Lunch on Christmas Day. Picked it up at random. I’m not sure I want to keep it, so I was wondering what all the fuss was about.

We went for the first time on a Friday night without reservations. There were six of us. I said I wanted to sit downstairs on a normal table and was quoted a 30 minute wait. We were able to leave for that time as they text you when the table is available. We got the text 34 minutes later.

It was stupid expensive but we enjoyed the food. And our seating was amazing. Right on the water... a beautiful view. The service was great too. When the waitress saw our younger daughter collecting the cute coasters, she brought a huge stack of them with the bill: one of each they carried x 6 so we could all have a set.

We went there a few times during our trip last summer. I was disappointed not to be able to get any reservations when I first started making plans but the TP reservation finder came through. And as it turned out even though we had reservations there seemed to be plenty of walk-up availability, both upstairs and downstairs, based upon what we heard at the host stand.

We went twice this weekend and only waited 20 minutes at most each time for seating!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter