Why are Disney cruises still so expensive?

but assume it also includes specialty coffees, bottled water, smoothies, and any non alcoholics beverages…so not a bad deal.
Specialty coffees are a separate package. You get a few bottles of water when you board, but any additional bottles cost extra. Smoothies are extra. Soda and juice are included.

Specialty coffees are a separate package. You get a few bottles of water when you board, but any additional bottles cost extra. Smoothies are extra. Soda and juice are included.
Royals includes everything of course it wasn’t free though.

I've never priced a cruise for more than two because I have no reason to. For two people, the price of a Caribbean cruise in April is pretty close. The drinks are very much not free. For my cruise, the "free" drinks were about $436 in "pre-paid gratuities" for all of the drinks that I might order. That's a lot of drinks! I actually don't drink alcohol and, unfortunately, NCL doesn't allow adults to downgrade to the free soda/tea/coffee package. It's alcohol or nothing. If I want a package for other drinks, then I have to pay for it at full package price. And those packages are also very overpriced.

So, ultimately, my room is slightly cheaper, but it's also smaller. There's no self-serve laundry, so I'll end up paying more for that. The soft drinks aren't free. The "free" WiFi is only two hours of time, which isn't much. After that, it's similar in price to Disney's new WiFi system. They charge extra for some food in the main restaurants. The "free" specialty dining did require that I pre-pay the gratuities before receiving service, which is absurd, but it does get me out of the main restaurant for two nights. I guess that's something.

But, again, I'm only evaluating the cost for two people. When you add free kids to NCL, sure, the price difference is significant.
I m curious why your sailing on NCL if your so negative about it? Why aren’t you sailing on the Fantasy if prices are comparable.

I m curious why your sailing on NCL if your so negative about it? Why aren’t you sailing on the Fantasy if prices are comparable.
It's a family cruise. I didn't choose it. I'm trying to be optimistic, though. Maybe I'll actually like it in the end!

It's a family cruise. I didn't choose it. I'm trying to be optimistic, though. Maybe I'll actually like it in the end!
I was negative going into my first Royal cruise not my choice either. I wanted the Fantasy. I came away not really liking it because of that.

I’ve been on Odyssey for a couple of hours now and ship blows away any of the Disney ships. It’s almost identical size to the Fantasy and about 25% smaller than Royals other new ships.

The layout is great, but after the Wish what wouldn’t be. Seriously, everything is easy to find. Nice running/ walking path on top deck. Lunch was great. Staterooms is nice, love the big bathroom. I may come away from this being loyal to Royal or at least this class of Royal ships. I’m not familiar with Royals different classes, but this is definitely more my style than Allure, Harmony or Disneys Triton class. Smaller is better in my opinion

I was negative going into my first Royal cruise not my choice either. I wanted the Fantasy. I came away not really liking it because of that.

I’ve been on Odyssey for a couple of hours now and ship blows away any of the Disney ships. It’s almost identical size to the Fantasy and about 25% smaller than Royals other new ships.

The layout is great, but after the Wish what wouldn’t be. Seriously, everything is easy to find. Nice running/ walking path on top deck. Lunch was great. Staterooms is nice, love the big bathroom. I may come away from this being loyal to Royal or at least this class of Royal ships. I’m not familiar with Royals different classes, but this is definitely more my style than Allure, Harmony or Disneys Triton class. Smaller is better in my opinion

1st bold -- DW and I have never approached a new cruise line with any negativity because after all, we will be living the cruising life instead of real life. :teeth:Once on board and the new experience begins, then the comparisons are made both good and bad making sure that the CO$T factor is added into the equation. Our 2nd. Dream Concierge 1 Bedroom cruise was a great disappointment and enticed us to look around especially because of the cost.

2nd bold -- It's pretty hard to "blow away" the beautiful Dream Concierge 1 Bedroom but when factoring in the Cruise Ship's experience + pricing, certain low points can be forgiven because the overall vacation will have returned a higher valued experience for the $$$ spent.

1st bold -- DW and I have never approached a new cruise line with any negativity because after all, we will be living the cruising life instead of real life. :teeth:Once on board and the new experience begins, then the comparisons are made both good and bad making sure that the CO$T factor is added into the equation. Our 2nd. Dream Concierge 1 Bedroom cruise was a great disappointment and enticed us to look around especially because of the cost.

2nd bold -- It's pretty hard to "blow away" the beautiful Dream Concierge 1 Bedroom but when factoring in the Cruise Ship's experience + pricing, certain low points can be forgiven because the overall vacation will have returned a higher valued experience for the $$$ spent.
I have no experience with concierge, but I will I like this ship better than any Disney ship as far as just the ship. Time will tell if it measures up in terms of service and food.
Disney itineraries have nothing to offer us anymore so it’s important that I find something else that works. Itinerary is our main focus at this point.

I have no experience with concierge, but I will I like this ship better than any Disney ship as far as just the ship. Time will tell if it measures up in terms of service and food.
Disney itineraries have nothing to offer us anymore so it’s important that I find something else that works. Itinerary is our main focus at this point.
I mention Concierge only as a reference to what should be an Ultimate Cruising experience that includes exclusive Perks but instead can turn out to be DCL's premium price tag for less received. Even before we were able to go Concierge, our cruises on other lines still provided more bang for the buck than DCL.

Odyssey of the Seas is a beautiful ship and if someone has the opportunity to sail it I recommend they give it a try. This is coming from someone that sails DCL at least once a year

Odyssey of the Seas is a beautiful ship and if someone has the opportunity to sail it I recommend they give it a try. This is coming from someone that sails DCL at least once a year
I agree and I as you see the Wi-Fi works great. You can stream anything you tube, Netflix, Amazon prime. It’s chilly today will probably watch a movie on Amazon prime. My son finished his online college class before we left, but working or doing schoolwork would not be an issue at all.
Food and service have been excellent so far. They have Disney Trivia today… kind of funny.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter