Whose side would you be on? UPDATE page 17 (?!?)

I actually didn’t know the car had been given to us until it was brought up a few months later. BIL also has a motorcycle and a truck so he had been letting us use the car for about six months before the wedding. We had still been paying for repairs and insurance but I guess he said we could officially keep it after the wedding. I wasn’t involved in it so I don’t know what was said. All I know is that he specifically said it was ours for good.

What risk? His license wasn’t affected. He couldn’t get sued. His insurance didn’t go up. He literally had no risk.

You weren’t there when he said it was a gift? :laughing:

You weren’t there when he said it was a gift? :laughing:

No. It was a text message between them. I don’t talk to him at the best of times.

Actually, I had made it a goal of mine for the year to try and establish some sort of relationship with him. I did pretty good for six weeks. I know it’s not easy on my husband, but he also knows who causes 95% of the problems.

You're obviously upset about the $1000 (after deductible) but are you sure that the 20 year car is even worth that? You can check a site like Kelly Blue Book to get an idea if you haven't done so already.

I actually didn’t know the car had been given to us until it was brought up a few months later. BIL also has a motorcycle and a truck so he had been letting us use the car for about six months before the wedding. We had still been paying for repairs and insurance but I guess he said we could officially keep it after the wedding. I wasn’t involved in it so I don’t know what was said. All I know is that he specifically said it was ours for good.

What risk? His license wasn’t affected. He couldn’t get sued. His insurance didn’t go up. He literally had no risk.

Here, if someone was hurt or god forbid someone died in an accident, the owner and the person who has the insurance is liable. There is a lot to lose by holding a registration and yet letting someone else keep the vehicle.

He let you use the car for months before the wedding, I don't know he sounds pretty nice to me. And if he specifically said it was "yours for good", well, technically it was yours until the end of its life - which was ended prematurely because of your husband writing it off - so he upheld his end of the deal. It was yours to use for good - ownership is a different thing altogether though. You decided to forgo ownership to get around some laws so you never owned it. He did.

You're obviously upset about the $1000 (after deductible) but are you sure that the 20 year car is even worth that? You can check a site like Kelly Blue Book to get an idea if you haven't done so already.

No, that’s just a number that I’m throwing out there. The body was rusted but all the guts were still really good so who knows what will be decided. We’ll just have to wait and see.

Here, if someone was hurt or god forbid someone died in an accident, the owner and the person who has the insurance is liable. There is a lot to lose by holding a registration and yet letting someone else keep the vehicle.

Yes, BUT that’s not the case here. All the yeah buts don’t really make a difference in our case.

but he also knows who causes 95% of the problems

You? Honestly let it go. You are fighting on a message board with strangers

It's his money. Trucks hold their value around here pretty well. But a 20 yr old car, I don't even know if we'd get a couple hundred bucks. Dd19 totaled the car that DH had been letting her use. We got 1800 for a seven yr old car. She actually thought she was entitled to the money, despite us paying her insurance. She was paying for things like tires and oil changes. I had to point out to her that we'd be using the money for our increased insurance premiums.

OP I realize your situation is very different. This is just currently a sore subject for us. We're currently working through several young adult issues with dd.

I do hope you can find a good replacement car. Late model used car might be a good option.

It's his money. Trucks hold their value around here pretty well. But a 20 yr old car, I don't even know if we'd get a couple hundred bucks. Dd19 totaled the car that DH had been letting her use. We got 1800 for a seven yr old car. She actually thought she was entitled to the money, despite us paying her insurance. She was paying for things like tires and oil changes. I had to point out to her that we'd be using the money for our increased insurance premiums.

OP I realize your situation is very different. This is just currently a sore subject for us. We're currently working through several young adult issues with dd.

I do hope you can find a good replacement car. Late model used car might be a good option.
I feel your pain, dd21 totaled two cars in under 6 months, plus backed into a car in a parking lot (fortunately she was able to pay for the other cars damage OOP and not go through insurance). Ds19 hit a pedestrian (actually tapped her shopping cart, she yelled for someone to call the police and an ambulance, 8 months later we are still waiting to hear about a settlement). Dd16 takes her exam in 2 weeks, and then we will have to add her to our insurance. We pay $4000 a year now for 3 beaters without collision. We also have two 15 year olds...

I feel your pain, dd21 totaled two cars in under 6 months, plus backed into a car in a parking lot (fortunately she was able to pay for the other cars damage OOP and not go through insurance). Ds19 hit a pedestrian (actually tapped her shopping cart, she yelled for someone to call the police and an ambulance, 8 months later we are still waiting to hear about a settlement). Dd16 takes her exam in 2 weeks, and then we will have to add her to our insurance. We pay $4000 a year now for 3 beaters without collision. We also have two 15 year olds...

PLease know I only hit the like button to let you know I'm sorry!! We just have 2 kids, which is good, because the 19 yr old is currently a complete knothead!! I hope the pedestrian case is resolved without too much of a payout. Sounds like the pedestrian is trying to game the system. Best of luck!

PLease know I only hit the like button to let you know I'm sorry!! We just have 2 kids, which is good, because the 19 yr old is currently a complete knothead!! I hope the pedestrian case is resolved without too much of a payout. Sounds like the pedestrian is trying to game the system. Best of luck!
I know you feel my pain - lol! Luckily dd21 hasn’t had a vehicle (but destroyed her boyfriend’s SUV by driving it on the highway in first gear accidentally, she’s going to pay him $6000 - she’s super book smart but very blonde), and ds’s vehicle sits in our driveway with a shot second transmission, 20 years old, can’t go over 35 mph, and he# at college 75 miles away. Best of luck to you too!

Does the vehicle have collision coverage? Most folks in the states will have dropped collision coverage by the time a car hits 20 years of age. Do you have the option of not having collision insurance in your Province? The whole debate over who gets any settlement money may be moot, because there is no settlement money.

Does the vehicle have collision coverage? Most folks in the states will have dropped collision coverage by the time a car hits 20 years of age. Do you have the option of not having collision insurance in your Province? The whole debate over who gets any settlement money may be moot, because there is no settlement money.

I honestly have no idea. I think so but I’ve never looked at it.

Thanks. I did a quick look now that I know she's in Manitoba, and it looks like insurance premiums DO get paid AND driving record is one portion of the determining factor. Since I see there are multiple ways to pay (in full, 4 payments, or 12), I wonder if OP is getting something confused between DL renewal and insurance renewal. Do you need to renew your DL every year in Canada?

ETA: It looks like you can do DL renewal every 5 years. I'm guessing insurance renewal is like the states where it's every six months (or maybe it's a year).

FWIW, I got information for this post from https://www.mpi.mb.ca/en/Pages/default.aspx

Sure looks like the same info used to rate most auto insurance policies to me.

I am sure that is also the case in Manitoba.

‘An insurance contract is a "contract of utmost good faith", which means that all parties to the contract are under a strict duty to deal fully and frankly with each other. Customers must disclose all facts that are "material" (or relevant) to the risk for which they are seeking cover.

A "material" fact is one which would influence an underwriter when they were deciding whether to accept the risk, and the terms and conditions that should apply. If a customer fails to disclose (or misrepresents) a material fact and this induces the insurer to accept the proposed risk, the legal remedy is to "avoid" the policy. This means the insurer is entitled to treat the policy as though it never existed. Unless fraud is involved, the insurer will normally return the premium and will not pay out on any claim made under the policy.’

Last edited:
The part I can't get over is that the insurance is willing to pay $1000 for a twenty year old rusty car. We just got a new van and were trying to get rid of my husband's almost 20 year old Saturn that still looked decent with no rust or dents and still ran good and the most I could get out of it was $125.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter