Who's been on a cold day?

It was snowing when we left home in Jan 2017 to go to Disney and it was way warmer in the 50s and 60s than what we are used to that time of year. So sweats or jeans and go. Layers is a good thing because if it warms up to the 70s then you can just wear the teeshirt you have on under the hoodie.

It was cold most of our trip in 2018, but there did not seem to be much impact on crowds on warm vs. cold days. I think rain keeps people away more than cold. The only times the cold really bothered us were waiting for the bus (which was heated, so the ride itself was fine) and the afternoon one of my sons played in the water shot out by the Tiki statues -- he was pretty miserable for a while after that.

Not sure if it is was the coldest day I have been at the parks for, but January 27, 2019 was cold and rainy and it was the lowest crowds I have ever seen. While I am not local, I feel rain keeps people away more than the temperature. For the record, it was miserable. I wasn't prepared for an all-day, steady rain.

Disney in January just sucks. Crapshoot on weather, Waterpark are a no, pools are just a tease. Splash Mountain just miserable. Deluxe resorts just not worth the price having the bloody heat on. We go for two days in January dragging my mom to her condo in Ft Lauderdale and it is a reminder why January and Disney has no value...to us at least.

We were there that december/january of 2017/2018 that several people posted about... we have pictures from a day in AK where it was raining, and had to have been in the 30s. We are Chicagoans so we hadn't packed gloves/hats, etc cause we thought how bad could it be - but in the rain and wind we bought gloves, extra hoodies, and a blanket for Rivers of Light - and have photographic evidence of us drinking hot chocolate in Florida!!

We were there in Dec. 2017 when it got into the 30's and 40's all week! Coming from a Midwesterner - 40 in Florida is A LOT colder than 40 in the Midwest for some reason! It does keep the crowds down, which is really nice. But be prepared to bundle up even more than you think you will need to!
Yep we say that too here on Louisiana. Our 40 is colder than up north & I’ve had ppl from up there tell my the same.

Have been there several times in January. When its cold, it isn't much less crowded.
When its cold, windy and rainy, then the crowds are less, but its not a pleasant day.

It's definitely the humidity. I spend a lot of time outside at home, and when it is 40 at home (the midwest) in the winter, we don't consider that cold really (it doesn't feel cold as our winters tend to be dry), however, 40 at Disney is almost unbearable. The humidity makes the cold feel more intense on your skin even under layers. When we've been at Disney during a cold snap it seems the first day the temp drops it does clear out, but bounces back really quickly.
So many people don't understand this, I live in Colorado but I grew up in the southeast. People where I grew up are always saying how they could "NEVER live there" because of the snow. But it's so dry in Colorado that I think winter is way worse in like GA/SC/NC/VA than it is in CO. People think I'm crazy when I say that. But humidity makes such a difference.

We were there during the freeze of 2010 and like us, everyone else had park tickets to use and were out and about, totally bundled up. The only place I noticed a drop in crowds was at Epcot World Showcase when it was time for Illuminations.....because it was downright frigid!

Another veteran of the January 2010 freeze here. We stayed at Boardwalk that trip, and the cold did a number on the landscaped plants - especially the flowers. I remember the nights being especially cold and breezy at HS and MK.

December 9, 2017 had one day at MK prior to a cruise and turned into an ice cube. The night we arrived it was shorts weather, then it took a dive. It was so cold, but the park was still packed. (It was an 8/10 that day) Dropped to at least 45F by the time the sun went down. While I live in a cold climate, it’s a whole different story when you try and do a 12 hour park day. I head to Orlando on Saturday for two weeks, so hopefully this week is the cold spell and we miss it (I’ve had enough of cold weather as we were in a deep freeze this week with temps in the -40 range.)

Please stand clear of the doors: Canadian entering the conversation

I went to universal I'm December and found that I never needed more than a long sleeve shirt and even that seemed a bit much! Adding the Canadian caveat because I might be more used to the cold than most lol! Orlando in December is like April/May here in London Ontario temp wise I found. Hope that helps! ☺️

OP- 56 sounds like a beautiful park day especially if it’s sunny and 56!! I just looked at the 10 day forecast, it looks wonderful for your trip! We’ve been when it’s dropped to the 30’s and our hats and gloves are on!

56 sounds kinda nice. It was in the 50s in the evening at the start of our first trip December 2010. (It was actually still Fall) We swam in the 50s. Just gotta have a hunch of towels waiting for you when you get out.

But then it got colder. And colder. One early morning over at universal it was 28F. So so so cold.

ive had a few more of those experiences over the years.

Bring layers. Bring everything just in case. Warm socks. Be extra prepared.

Coming from a Midwesterner - 40 in Florida is A LOT colder than 40 in the Midwest for some reason!

yep.
It’s the dampness there. Wet air plus cold wind plus more wetness from the wind going across all the water the swamp land...bone chilling.

We were there during the freeze of 2010

which one? January Marathon weekend when it sleeted at the start of either the half or full marathon? (Thereby giving that race the name “Disney on ice”) Or December of the same year?

Please stand clear of the doors: Canadian entering the conversation

I went to universal I'm December and found that I never needed more than a long sleeve shirt and even that seemed a bit much! Adding the Canadian caveat because I might be more used to the cold than most lol! Orlando in December is like April/May here in London Ontario temp wise I found. Hope that helps! ☺

how cold has it been for your trips, though? There were Canadians and mid westerners freezing during our cold trips. Not 56F, but below freezing. I’m in western WA, which isn’t like a lot of Canada, but we also get the humidity to make the cold feel worse, and it was so cold. Anyway, there’s a reason northern theme parks don’t tend to be open in the fall and winter. It’s just not that pleasant to be out riding rides 10 hours a day when it’s cold!

Disney in January just sucks. Crapshoot on weather, Waterpark are a no, pools are just a tease. Splash Mountain just miserable. Deluxe resorts just not worth the price having the bloody heat on. We go for two days in January dragging my mom to her condo in Ft Lauderdale and it is a reminder why January and Disney has no value...to us at least.
I had to laugh o your first sentence. I would say anywhere from November through March is a crapshoot. Last week we had records high of 86, definitely fine for pool and wet rides. Our weather here fluctuates from day to day. You can expect a more regular forecast of high temps, high humidity and rain from June through September

Not sure if it is was the coldest day I have been at the parks for, but January 27, 2019 was cold and rainy and it was the lowest crowds I have ever seen. While I am not local, I feel rain keeps people away more than the temperature. For the record, it was miserable. I wasn't prepared for an all-day, steady rain.
Yup, that was the day we were there that I mentioned earlier!! It was brutal! But my kids actually say now that that’s been their favorite day at Disney!!

Our 2nd February trip we had a Sunday night of 48 degrees, we had on hoodies and jeans and had a great time. Many people had on their winter coats, gloves, hats, and lots just went back to their hotels I think. The kids say it was one of their best times at MK. Splash was a walk on (Man that que is a long walk) and since they turn off the water features, we put on our ponchos and sat in the back of the log. I'd say RD might be slow, when the sun is out it will be normal for the day and then at night it will be slower again.
We're from Southeastern PA just for point of reference of weather we're used to

We were there during the freeze of 2010 and like us, everyone else had park tickets to use and were out and about, totally bundled up. The only place I noticed a drop in crowds was at Epcot World Showcase when it was time for Illuminations.....because it was downright frigid!
We were there also. Crowds were nice. I do remember them closing the pools because of the cold. Coving all the plants they could in EPCOT. The standing heaters. I’m glad we had our winter gear with us.

One upside to a colder than expected trip: I got a super cute hat that is surprisingly warm, and it has been my go-to hat for cold days ever since, even back in the real world. It is black with two pompoms like Mickey ears, and it has a big red and white bow and ear flaps with red strings hanging down with more pompoms. It is lined with satin, so it is super warm, and absolutely adorable. I recommend it if you find yourself at the park on a cold day with no hat!

56 sounds kinda nice. It was in the 50s in the evening at the start of our first trip December 2010. (It was actually still Fall) We swam in the 50s. Just gotta have a hunch of towels waiting for you when you get out.

But then it got colder. And colder. One early morning over at universal it was 28F. So so so cold.

ive had a few more of those experiences over the years.

Bring layers. Bring everything just in case. Warm socks. Be extra prepared.

yep.
It’s the dampness there. Wet air plus cold wind plus more wetness from the wind going across all the water the swamp land...bone chilling.

which one? January Marathon weekend when it sleeted at the start of either the half or full marathon? (Thereby giving that race the name “Disney on ice”) Or December of the same year?

how cold has it been for your trips, though? There were Canadians and mid westerners freezing during our cold trips. Not 56F, but below freezing. I’m in western WA, which isn’t like a lot of Canada, but we also get the humidity to make the cold feel worse, and it was so cold. Anyway, there’s a reason northern theme parks don’t tend to be open in the fall and winter. It’s just not that pleasant to be out riding rides 10 hours a day when it’s cold!
When I went, I believe the average temp was about 8 degrees Celsius (forgive me, I'm not good with the Fahrenheit conversions) which for me is nice with just a slight chill! I've been to Canada's Wonderland when it's been around 5°C and boy those last few degrees make a huge difference! I find Canada's Wonderland much colder than any Orlando park even with matching temps because it's so dang dry here whereas I always feel like the weather is giving me a hug when I step out of MCO ☺️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter