Whole Fried Fish at Skipper's Canteen?

I just used my fork and knife to pull the meat from the bone. It mostly fell right off. I thought it was great and definitely a unique experience that fits with the atmosphere.

I just used my fork and knife to pull the meat from the bone. It mostly fell right off. I thought it was great and definitely a unique experience that fits with the atmosphere.
Thank you! I'm guessing then that the fried exterior isn't something you necessarily would eat? Did you end up with a lot of bones in your bites or is that easy enough to avoid? Sorry if I'm getting too detailed!!

Thank you! I'm guessing then that the fried exterior isn't something you necessarily would eat? Did you end up with a lot of bones in your bites or is that easy enough to avoid? Sorry if I'm getting too detailed!!

I didn't find it too bad in terms of bones as long as you are mindful going in. After I was done it looked similar to the fish bones from any old cartoon

Pretty sure you eat the fried exterior. At least that's what I did the last time I had a similar dish.

For those who ordered at MK ... Was the head still attached?

All I know is I wish they had a fish-free zone where you wouldn't have to look at it on the table next to you - because yes, @cruisin5 the head was still attached, and that fish looked...ew!

My younger son had it last year and loved it! all that was left was the skeleton - he left not a morsel. And yes, the head was attached.

I, too, have been very intrigued by the whole fish. It sounds great, but it does look messy to eat. I’m still on the fence about trying it on our next trip.

You can definitely eat the skin of the fried fish since it will be descaled & cleaned. Usually it's lightly breaded before frying to have an extra crispy texture & if it's fried well, you can also eat the fins & tail as @Pygoplites mentioned above. Delicious! The meatier sections on either side of the body past the gills but before the tail should pull easily from the center skeleton. I've heard that Tiffins will separate the filets for you after presenting you with the whole fish, but I don't know if that's still being done or if that service offered at Skipper's Canteen. As @StageTek mentioned in his post, there are pockets of meat in the collar, cheek & forehead, just be careful of little bones, as with any whole fish. I'd also advise dipping the fish sections in the vinaigrette on the plate as it really ups the flavor. Hope you try it & enjoy & you don't get freaked out by the head being on the fish. I loved the one at Tiffins & hopefully will get to try Skipper Canteen's verison during our next visit.

You can definitely eat the skin of the fried fish since it will be descaled & cleaned. Usually it's lightly breaded before frying to have an extra crispy texture & if it's fried well, you can also eat the fins & tail as @Pygoplites mentioned above. Delicious! The meatier sections on either side of the body past the gills but before the tail should pull easily from the center skeleton. I've heard that Tiffins will separate the filets for you after presenting you with the whole fish, but I don't know if that's still being done or if that service offered at Skipper's Canteen. As @StageTek mentioned in his post, there are pockets of meat in the collar, cheek & forehead, just be careful of little bones, as with any whole fish. I'd also advise dipping the fish sections in the vinaigrette on the plate as it really ups the flavor. Hope you try it & enjoy & you don't get freaked out by the head being on the fish. I loved the one at Tiffins & hopefully will get to try Skipper Canteen's verison during our next visit.
I’m thinking I’m going to go for it! Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter