• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who were the celebrities whose deaths affected you the most?

Pea-n-Me

DIS Veteran
Naturally, we mourn those the most who impacted our lives in some way, and when they die, we're shocked, and feel like a piece of our childhoods, or pasts, died with them.

Lots here were affected this way this week by Prince's death. :guilty:

Who are they for you?

For me:

#1 Princess Diana :sad:
Michael Landon
Michael Jackson
Robin Williams
John Denver (was seated about 75 feet away from him in concert three weeks before he died :( )

For DH:

#1 Robin Williams
John Candy
James Gandolfini

John Ritter..his was the first celebrity death that I really paid attention to and I LOVED Three's Company.
Robin Williams still makes me sad. My husband suffers from a pretty severe depression and it scares me to think he may get to this point one day when I'm not around and he has a bad moment..

John Denver the most, by far. I did get to meet him not long before he died - he was a kind and gracious man.

In this house, David Bowie had a big impact. Felt like we lost a family member. DD was crazy about him.

When I was a kid, I got to see Elvis in concert and then he died not long after. I was young and had convinced myself that he was my real father (since my mother was so in love with him and my dad was trying to grow his sideburns - I thought he was some kind of stand-in for The King :rolleyes1). I remember crying for days.

Princess Diana- so young and sad for her kids.
JFK Jr- so young, and the tragic, almost doomed family.
Robin Williams- he was so full of life and joy- or at least we all thought so. So sad and such a loss!

1. Princess Diana
2. Michael Jackson
3. Whitney Houston
4. Prince (watching purple rain right now!)
5. John Ritter (bawled watching 8 Simple Rules after he died)

Yes, JFK Jr, that was sad for me, too. I still remember where I was when I heard the news about the plane crash, and watching the coverage on TV. You just didn't want to believe it could be true.

JFK (the president). I was a kid and it was the first time I ever experienced a death or seen my family react. When I lived in Dallas I could not take visitors to Dealey Plaza.

Robin Williams
John Ritter
Prince

I was just telling DH last week that we seem to be losing a lot of our well known people in the last few months. And since we are on the dark side of 50 we seem to have more of a connection than the younger generations.

Elvis for sure. My dad died a few months earlier and I remember standing in the living room and they were saying Elvis had died. I can remember thinking "is the whole world going to die? First dad and now Elvis?!" LOL, the thing is although my family were fans of Elvis it was in a casual way, his death only made that big an impression because it followed so closely on my dad's. No other celebrity has really effected me a whole lot. I feel bad for their families of course but that's about it.

Robin Williams was/is probably the saddest for me.

Princess Diana
Patrick Swayze
JFK Jr died in the plane crash while we were on our honeymoon and I'll always remember it for that reason.

John Lennon
Ronnie Van Zant (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
John Belushi

Robin Williams

President Kennedy
Princess Diana
Elvis Presley
John Kennedy Jr.
Richie Valens, Buddy Holly, J. P. Richardson (Big Bopper)
John Lennon
Walt Disney

Steve Irwin, because my son loved watching his show, because he had two young children, and because he did so much to help kids learn about and appreciate the world's creatures.

Robin Williams because he was one of my favorite actors and comedians and I was saddened that he had been in so much pain despite bringing so much joy to others.

Naturally, we mourn those the most who impacted our lives in some way, and when they die, we're shocked, and feel like a piece of our childhoods, or pasts, died with them.

Lots here were affected this way this week by Prince's death. :guilty:

Who are they for you?

For me:

#1 Princess Diana :sad:
Michael Landon
Michael Jackson
Robin Williams
John Denver (was seated about 75 feet away from him in concert three weeks before he died :( )

For DH:

#1 Robin Williams
John Candy
James Gandolfini

Maybe I'm just cold and heartless, but the honest answer is none.

Sure, if I hear about the death of someone famous who I admired, I think "oh, that's sad, I liked him for xyz" and that's it. I don't understand the emotional state that some people seem to get in over the death of someone they didn't even personally know. But that's just me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter