Who to contact to complain about a castmember?

In every job I've had I have been heavily involved in customer service and had heavy customer contact. I have supervised and managed.

The one thing that keeps getting brought up is the theory that someone can give poor service because they are "having a bad day", or, "the previous customer was mean to them."

In all my years these have never been valid, or even acceptable excuses for giving poor customer service.

And I've seen agents having panic attacks while assisting subsequent customers because of reaching tipping points. Of course, that provides bad customer service.

I personally wonder how folks can manage to not be affected when someone calls them racial epithets or such. While all at the same time, expecting the agent to sound emotionally involved and vested. I don't expect agents to be sociopaths, and the mixed requirement of presenting a certain emotion while not actually allowing yourself to have any emotional investment in the service.

[ edit ]
I see now I did somewhat misread your statement, and I am sorry about that. Your statement does tend to fall into my issue of the company finding it easier to solve a problem that they created/fostered by increasing employee churn.

We recently returned from Disney. We have been going annually if not more the last several years but had not been in the past 2 years which is uncommon for us. We were extremely disappointed with the level of service and rude castmembers this trip. It was not just one experience but several. I could overlook one or two (especially when they are minor), but several negative experiences in one trip is hard to overlook. This was not what we had come to expect from Disney. My DH and I discussed whether we should send a letter to Disney - or if they even care. I don't know if it is a change in training or the level of employee they are hiring or if they are cutting corners and it is showing or what. I had planned to go back next year but now my DH wants me to plan something else instead. I am not saying we won't go back - I am sure we will! But, not as soon as we otherwise would have. Our trip obviously wasn't ruined, but we had numerous negative experiences this trip which isn't what we had come to expect from Disney.

I'm not excusing the actions of the CMs you described, because they were all unacceptable. However, I have to ask: Is it possible that the train station CM had called out to you and any other nearby guests 1, 2, 3 times before he finally had to come stand right next to you to get your attention? Similarly, how did you not notice at least one, and probably more CMs standing at the ToT with red glowing wands, clearly directing guest traffic away from the building and/or indicating that you should not enter? Could he have stopped you as he did as a final effort, because you were oblivious to the signs and signals telling you not to proceed?

No, we were the only ones standing under that train awning and no one else. He walked right up to us and clapped in our faces, I saw him lurking for about 2 minutes prior and he did not once try to get our attention. As for the glowing light sticks, no it was not a final effort, no one told me not to go back there. They only asked if I had already been to the lost and found, and I said yes. Then started to walk and he used force without telling me not to walk back there....
He was not waving the glowing wands to direct the traffic out prior. He was just standing there with the CMs who asked me if I had been to the lost and found. There was absolutely no indication that I would be wrong to look for the umbrella.

No, we were the only ones standing under that train awning and no one else. He walked right up to us and clapped in our faces, I saw him lurking for about 2 minutes prior and he did not once try to get our attention. As for the glowing light sticks, no it was not a final effort, no one told me not to go back there. They only asked if I had already been to the lost and found, and I said yes. Then started to walk and he used force without telling me not to walk back there....
He was not waving the glowing wands to direct the traffic out prior. He was just standing there with the CMs who asked me if I had been to the lost and found. There was absolutely no indication that I would be wrong to look for the umbrella.

In that case I'd say you are fully justified in being unhappy with the treatment you received (not that you asked for or needed any validation) :)

Wow...if this is something that is bad enough to cause a complaint against a Disney CM....I would hate to see how this person reacts to situations in the "real world"...do you have any idea what true "complaints"/issues are?

Essentionally I think that is what the original poster was trying to say. She didn't think that the CM needed to be fired, just talked to about not rolling your eyes at customers and being more helpful when someone asks you a question.

But again, how involved do we get in other guest's issues? The CM did NOT roll her eyes at the OP nor did she inappropriately answer any of the CM's questions.

Now THAT said, I've never personally experienced something bad enough service-wise to actually write to Disney and tell them about it.

And I think that's important in this conversation. I haven't heard anyone say that you shouldn't let Disney know when you are mistreated. Most people in this thread are simply pointing out that what the OP described was not mistreatment.

I made a note of when we got bad, rude or just plain inattentive service. Every time bar none the server / person concerned was mid to late twenties.

I do think your generalization is unfair. First, you note the grand majority of people who work at WDW are young and then you say the majority of bad service you received was from young people. Well...duh. That doesn't mean that young people are generally worse at service. It just means that statistically that's bound to happen. And that argument doesn't work anyway. Because couldn't one easily say that since the majority of CMs are young and the overwhelming of interactions have been positive that young CMs are actually better? See the fallacy here?

This thread has inspired me. From now on, any time I am irked by a bad customer service encounter and think about complaining, I'm going to wait for the next positive customer service interaction I have and offer praise to that employee instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter