Who says Disney is just for the kids?! An adults trip (with a little bit of work sprinkled in) - February 2024

MamaMouse0920

Mouseketeer
Hey hi hello from your favorite (or at least one of?) Disney-obsessed, rambling, type A, over-the-top Minnesota based mama!

It’s Bethany (AKA MamaMouse0920) back from another trip to my favorite place on earth and am dyinggg to share all the fun details with my fellow DIS-ers! I know I say it literally after every single trip but this one REALLY WAS THE BEST. We left the kids with their grandparents (the secret pixie dust to the most magical trip 😉) and snuck away just mom & dad for some super special time alone to act like we’re kids all over again.

..oh, and I also attended a work conference.

It’s after 9pm up here in the tundra (JK on the tundra bit, it’s been like 45-55 degrees all winter and I am HERE FOR IT. Yes I know.. global warming & all that but it’s hard to feel sad when it’s not 20 below!!) so I’m off to bed shortly but I at least wanted to get this TR started so I can start re-living the magic (been home 7 days and you know I’m already dying to get back!) and postpone these Disney blues for another day 😉

I’ll be back tomorrow with more thorough introductions & then will hop right to the good stuff!

Welcome back, Foolish Mortals!

If you feel so inclined, head over and read my Pre-Trip report HERE. To save you some reading, I'll summarize super briefly how/why this trip came about. A couple years ago my coworker approached us with a learning opportunity/training conference pertinent to our field that his wife had attended in years past. He felt it would be beneficial for our team to go, the boss/big-wigs approved and so the first annual of my visiting this conference began! It takes place every February in Orlando, at Coronado Springs resort. The first go-around, I left my husband Matt at home with the kids and went solo with my coworkers & supervisor. That trip had highs & lows, but still was overall an absolute blast with some really good learning added in as well. So fast forward about 9 months, and I knew I was going to try to get approved to attend again. I was approved, but unfortunately my coworkers were a bit slower on submitting the necessary paperwork and were denied as a result of that + some budget restrictions.

giphy.gif

Unfortunate for them, for sure.... but........ this gal is going to Disney World!!!! And this time, I'm bringing my best friend with me!

So the what/how/why is covered, here are some other details:

WHEN: Friday Feb 23rd through Thurs Feb 29th
WHERE: Staying onsite @ Coronado Springs Resort
WHO:

As I stated last night, I'm Bethany- a 30-something wife & mama living with my family in the suburbs of the Twin Cities, MN!

1709929382493.jpeg

My ride-along for this trip was my sweet husband of (almost) TEN YEARS- Matthew. He is kind & funny and absolutely dotes on his family. An all-around great guy & I'm so lucky to have him!

1709929541116.jpeg

They didn't join us this trip (special thanks to my amazing parents for watching them while we snuck away!) but are always worth an honorable mention: DD5 & DS3 (soon to be DS4!)

1709928778596.jpeg

And with that, I'll get started on the Trip Report in my next post! :)

I will say after years of bringing the kids to Disney, we started doing short weekend trips with just myself and my husband, and they have literally been the best Disney trips we have ever had. Like you said, being silly, feeling like a kid, and just doing whatever we want with no worry about anyone else.

Thursday, February 22nd (Pre-Travel)

Anyone who has visited Florida (particularly the inland portions, I suppose) in February understands how wishy-washy Mother Nature can be, so it goes without saying that the entire WEEK leading up to our trip we were checking the weather daily - even multiple times a day - trying to gauge what exactly should we be packing. Winter hats? Shorts? Cooling towels? Umbrellas? Layers upon layers of shirts & sweatshirts?

giphy.gif

The lows were in the 30s, the highs were in the upper 70s, with rain & wind sprinkled here & there so yeah- the answer was yes to all of the above :laughing:

Eventually on Thursday evening we checked one last time before making the final adjustments to our suitcase, with AccuWeather showing this:

1710420049589.png

Not too shabby! We ended up nixing the hats & the long sleeve shirts, opting instead to just take sweatshirts with us and wrap them around our waist/shove them in backpacks if need be when it was warmer. After work was done for the day, I raced off to get my usual pre-vacay manicure but I ended up really disliking it... boo! Despite growing my nails out the weeks before, pretty much all of my nails had broken (go figure) literally just days before so I showed up with super short stubby nails & the techs convinced me to get acrylic tips (I haven't had acrylics literally since high school... yikes!) and I had forgotten how much I dislike them. Plus the tech was either lazy or in a hurry so they were just overall not looking good & I left the salon feeling super mopey. If you remember from previous TRs however I am NOT one to complain so I still thanked them profusely, swearing up & down I loved them and tipped her generously and then boo-hoo'd to Matt when I got home :laughing: Minnesota Nice, perhaps? ;) Meanwhile throughout the day we were getting texts from my mom that she was getting things ready for her new temporary roommates:

1710420127216.jpeg

My dad works for the railroad & goes to work any time day or night so my mom needed them to be separate from their room so my dad wouldn't wake them if he got called to work at 3am, so she set up shop for them in one of the extra bedrooms down the hall from my parents - and I guess it worked out well enough & they loved their little tent (though I did get a picture of both kids in my parents bed a few days into the trip :rotfl2:

As you know this trip was mostly being paid for by my work (airfare + luggage fees + hotel + Ubers + a per-diem rate for food each day) so we really only had to pay for Matt's portion + the Disney tickets- which I did get at a "discounted" rate through the conference. Ideally we would have preferred to both be on the same flight, but Delta (the airline I was flying on) wanted $500 for a BASIC ECONOMY ticket from MSP <> MCO so we said hard pass and started looking at the budget airlines. Check out my Pre-Trip Report for the details on the back and forth we went through with Matt's tickets but ultimately we ended up booking him on Frontier & paid about $150 which included some protection in the event he needed to switch flights. We were SUPER stressed about the horror stories we had read, and even more so were panicking when all day Thursday (<14 hours from take off) Matt's flight didn't have a gate assigned, thinking for sure his was going to be one of the many flights Frontier cancels on a whim. We even toyed around with the idea of just paying the $$ to get him on Delta as a safety precaution.. ultimately decided that was silly since other than the missing gate (which isn't that big of a deal I suppose) we had no real reason to assume the worst.

Anyway, back to Thursday -- our bedtime routine was normal that night, but with tons & tons of extra hugs & kisses before we said goodnight since I would be leaving at 4:45am the next morning, long before either kid wakes for the day. I may have also cried 😢 It's hard saying goodbye to your babies!

I was tired, but couldn't sleep (pre-travel jitters/nerves/excitement, you know how it goes) so Matt & I put on a documentary (on Disney+, something about a group of researchers climbing these never-been-climbed-record-height mountain/cliff things in Greenland? It was interesting!). While watching the documentary Matt was feverishly checking his boarding pass/the Frontier App & somewhere around 10pm he finally had a gate so we felt a little more at ease. We finally fell asleep around 10:30pm.

My flight was to depart at 7am the next morning & Matt's around 10:45am so the plan was for me to Uber myself to the airport at about 4:45 (we live <15 mins from MSP) and Matt would drop the kids off at daycare as usual at 7, head over to my parents to install the kids' car seats in my mom's minivan, then drive to work, park his car there (perks of working for the gov!), hop on the light-rail one stop over to MSP around 8:30am.

Up Next: Friday, February 23rd: Day 0 (Travel Day)

Friday, February 23rd: Day 0 (Travel Day)

After about 5 hours of interrupted sleep (too excited!), my alarm went off at 4am so I showered & got dressed super quietly to avoid waking the rest of my family. My Uber, which was pre-scheduled to arrive at 4:45, ended up arriving about 20 mins early so I tried to hurry to avoid him waiting needlessly (yes, I am aware of my people-pleasing tendencies 😉). As I scrambled to finish getting ready, Matt had woken up & helped me lug the giant suitcase outside to the car. We kissed goodbye & said "see ya in a few hours!"- me greeting the driver, Bert, oohing & aahing at his fancy Tesla, eventually heading off toward the airport.

Thanks to Bert's early arrival to my house, we pulled in to the airport at the time I was scheduled to be picked up- 4:45am. I was shocked to see Delta's SkyCap was open (it hasn't been in previous super-early-morning flights!) and excitedly wheeled my luggage that way, relieved to not need to lug the giant thing all the way to the baggage counter. The Pre-Check line was longer than usual, in fact it was longer than the non-pre check line! Someone nearby made a joke that the secret was out about Pre-Check and that's why everyone was in this line instead. Oh well, my flight wasn't for over 2 hours since I had gotten there so early, so I was in no hurry at all. In fact, I was through security and in line for Caribou by 5am so it really didn't take long at all - funny how long lines, daunting as they may be, can still move quickly!

As I was in the line for Caribou (almost as long as the line for security, ha!) I realized that in my hurry to get ready this morning, I had skipped breakfast! I contemplated getting food at Caribou but the breakfast sandwiches are 1) grossly overpriced and 2) didn't look all that appetizing so I stuck with my mocha (requesting only half the usual amount of chocolate, please!). Coffee in hand, I made my way toward my gate where I was surprised to see 3 other passengers already waiting- despite being 2 hours early! I sat and drank my coffee in peace, scrolling through social media & listening to music.

1710422608622.jpeg

Fast forward 2 hours (lol) and it was time to board! I quick raced to the bathroom quick before boarding where I found a young mom changing her baby one last time before the flight, and offered to help if she needed it (her hands were full). She declined but admitted to being nervous since it was her first time flying with him. I offered a few tidbits of advice for her to take or leave at her discretion (mainly about timing her nursing/bottle feeds with takeoff and landing) - making sure she knew that her & her baby had just as much a right to be on that plane & take up space (+ noise 😉) as everyone else and if it's a rough flight, that she would never see these people again so who cares. Basically things I wish other moms had reminded me before/during/after hard flights with littles!

I made my way back to the gate and boarded the plane around 6:45. We left a little late (had to de-ice I believe), but overall the flight was very uneventful which is always a good thing. I was texting Matt throughout the flight (thank you Delta for free wifi!) and he was giving me status updates throughout the morning - drop off went okay, made it to the VA just fine, "on the light rail now", "made it to the airport" that sort of thing. The only thing during the 3 hour flight worth noting was the fact that I was in the middle seat between two older men, the one on my left starting his movie long before takeoff so it ended halfway through the flight. Instead of putting on a new movie, this man literally crossed his arms, shifted his entire body to be angled toward my screen, and watched my movie (Oppenheimer) for the rest of the flight.

giphy.gif

Later, as I recounted the story to Matt (chuckling) I commented how it's one of those things that ISN'T invasive or weird at all but something about it in the moment feels weird and invasive :rotfl2:like sir, just put Oppenheimer on your own TV. You can't even hear what's happening in the movie, for Pete's sake!!!!

Tiny little oddity aside, as I said it was a largely uneventful flight and despite our late takeoff we landed early- yay!! However we had to wait for our gate to become available (boo!!) so we still walked off the plane at the exact time we were supposed to. Yay/boo? :laughing:

My shoes hit the iconic MCO carpet by 11:45 as I made my way to the Fake O Rail.

1710423618776.jpeg

Since I had no kids with me, I did not rush to get in that first car, and grabbed whichever one looked to have the least amount of people.

1710423666761.jpeg

I made my way down to the baggage claim and waited patiently til I saw my bag. Does anyone else have the same internal battle/anxiety as me in the moments between spying your bag on the carousel and it making its way to you? "Ok you have to time this just right.... try to make it look graceful...... what if I forget how to pick up this bag?! It literally weighs half of what I do..... you can do this Bethany.... oh god its like 10 feet away now........... should I ask that guy next to me if he will pick it up for me?! No, it's 2024 and women don't need men for this sort of thing! Crap it's 2 feet away... BAH IT'S HERE!!"

Anyone??

giphy.gif

No? Just me? That's cool.

Fumbling but successfully lugging that giant thing off the carousel and on to solid ground, I quickly ordered an Uber which arrived in approximately 1 minute's time. Thankfully I didn't have far to go, and we were driving away by 12:10pm. The Uber drive was slow (traffic at noon? Curse you I-4!) and the driver made a few microaggressions against a certain ethnic group so it became a silent trip about halfway through. I am all for addressing racism & standing up to it but only when I'm in a safe place to do so- and the backseat of some strangers car in a different city/state ain't it- so I remained silent.

He dropped me off (see ya never) at Coronado Springs around 12:40 and I excitedly crossed the threshold into the beautiful Gran Destino lobby. Seriously, I will never NOT be in awe of that place. It is so beautiful!!!

There were a scattering of CMs standing in the lobby, one approaching me as I walked toward her. She pulled up my reservation info & asked if I was celebrating anything, to which I replied that my husband was on his way here right now for our first kids-free trip... and that our 10 year anniversary is in 6 months so I guess we could call this a dual-celebration? She congratulated me and we made our way to the desk where she went to check on the status of my room/my room requests. I told her I didn't have a preference for location other than being near a bus stop, which she said she was able to accommodate and that I'd have a room ready right now. Huzzah!!! She also handed me these pins, which I almost teared up at the sight of:

1710424411958.jpeg

How sweet!

It was about 12:50 by this point and I knew the registration center for the conference closed at 1pm. I needed to get over there in the next 10 minutes if I wanted to have my badge printed for the conference (we were to be in the parks the whole weekend and I didn't want to have to do it early-morning on Monday - Day 1 of the conference). So I thanked the CM and wheeled myself toward the convention center of the hotel, pedal-to-the-medal-speed-racer style to make it in time. I was huffing & puffing but made it with literally 1 minute to spare (this resort is huge!) and thankfully was able to grab my badge and make my way toward my room.

Last year when we stayed, all 4 of our rooms were in the same building (Casitas 4) so I assumed that Casitas was where they stuck all conference attendees....

giphy.gif

I was in Ranchos, which is the opposite end of the property so I took some extra steps for nothing ;) It was around this time that I started noticing some pain in my knees - I can't remember which one it was (or if it was both), but I know it started this day. I attributed it to lugging the giant suitcase and half running with it, but in all honesty it could just be because I'm out of shape & old and did ZERO preparation for the 30k step days I was about to be experiencing. Anyway, a bit of a spoiler alert of what was to come but wanted to at least share the fact that it definitely STARTED on Friday.

I made it to my room (bldg Ranchos 7A, room 7207 on the 2nd floor) where I did a suuuuuper quick wipe-down of the surfaces, my fear/paranoia of Norovirus in full swing (and yes I know there isn't a whole lot that kills norovirus but it at least makes me feel a tiny bit better so lay off me!) before getting unpacked.

The room was standard, almost identical to the room from Casitas last year as well as our brief one-night stay at Caribbean Beach Resort in September.

1710424960122.jpeg
1710425112969.png

By 1:45 I had completely unpacked & organized the entire room and was tired of listening to my stomach growling so I decided to quick wolf down some lunch - not wanting to eat too much since it was getting semi-close to dinner and we had big plans: Monorail Bar Crawl!

1710426939698.jpeg

I headed down to the pool bar & just got a chicken tender kids meal ($13) with a pop, a cutie, and some fries. The CM told me I only had 2 hours or something to refill my pop, something I don't remember in years past? But maybe they've had a problem with people keeping their cups for the entire trip or something to avoid buying a refillable mug? I don't know, but when I went to fill my cup (just one of those typical cheap cups you get at QS restaurants) the screen on top of the machine said I had 2 refills remaining that expired at 3:45 (or something similar). Odd. How does it know?! It's not like the mugs with the RFID chip.. these are just the thin paper cups they've always used..... ??? Anyway, it was SUUUPER windy this day and I had to hold my plate down because it kept blowing across the table and I was at a huge risk of losing my entire lunch! Incidentally as soon as I sat down at one of the nearby tables to eat, I got the text that my Walmart grocery delivery was on its way. Knowing how far I had to hoof it, I wolfed down as much of the meal as I could (it wasn't very good sadly - the chicken tenders were super hard- so hard/crunchy that it hurt the roof of my mouth) and tossed the rest, power walking to the Gran Destino lobby to meet my delivery guy. As I passed through the lobby I stopped to ask one of those scattered CM if Bell Services would loan me one of the bell hop cart things to wheel my groceries (it was a 12pk of beer, a 24pk of water bottles, and then a few assorted snacks) the mile across property to my room. She said no but for $6 they would deliver it to me. $6 + tip for a $36 grocery order? I don't think so. Not really liking her answer, I walked over to Bell Services myself & asked them if I could borrow one of the carts and he said sure, if they had one to spare... and that the Walmart delivery person would just need to come inside so they could lay eyes on him before giving out a cart. Okie Dokie, will do.

I stood outside in the valet area as I waited for him to arrive. With Matt on Frontier, wifi was definitely not an option for him so I was in zero communication with him after his flight took off (delayed, but only by 30 mins!). I checked his flight status via FlightAware & noted that he was supposed to land in about 40 minutes, so around 3pm. He had no luggage or anything so I figured if he landed at 3, he'd be to Coronado around 3:30 - so I made a mental note that I wanted to be in the shower by 3:00pm so that as soon as he Uber-ed (is that a verb? LOL) to Coronado he could just change clothes and we'd be ready to head to MK to start our Bar Crawl! While doing all this, I was following my Walmart delivery person's little car on the app as it made its way to me, showing that it was about 1 minute away.

What I thought was an Uber/Lyft driver had pulled up and was staring at me from across the way- me probably looking like I was waiting for an Uber since I was standing outside, alone, and on my phone. I kept trying to avoid his eye contact so he would get the hint. I almost shouted "I'm not who you're looking for!" but he kept staring. I continued to follow the little car icon on the map, but then Uber guy opened his trunk, took out a wagon, and started unloading a 12pk of Yuengling & a 24pk of water bottles.

giphy.gif

I immediately tried explaining that there must be a lag between the app & his actual physical car because the app still showed him at the security gate but the driver didn't speak a word of English so it was a moot point. I was, however, able to communicate that he needed to come inside with the groceries and so we made our way in, Bell Services granting me a cart & Walmart guy was on his merry way. I promised Bell Services I would return PRONTO (they were very serious about needing this cart back ASAP & seemed to not even want me to borrow it at all - likely wanting the $6 + tip!) and so I power-pushed this cart the mile across Coronado Springs property to my room. It felt a little silly since it was just the 12pk of beer, thing of water bottles and 3 plastic Walmart bags but I know I would have been even more miserable attempting to carry everything so I tried to push past the embarrassment factor.

After unloading the groceries I RAN that cart the mile BACK to Gran Destino tower & then limped back to my room to start getting ready. The knee(s) was really starting to hurt at this point, but I brushed it off as just so much back & forth with the luggage then the lunch & the groceries and powered through. Making it back to my room (again), I quickly checked my phone and noticed a text from Matt that he had landed a tiny bit early (2:50pm, yahoo!) and was on his way! So I got ready, anticipating a 3:40ish arrival.

1710427067472.jpeg

I'm not one to take selfies so ignore the awkward-ness (what do I do with my hands? do I look at the camera or the phone? or my own eyeballs reflected in the mirror? Seriously idk how you guys do it and make selfies look so good!).

As luck would have it, at 3:27 Matt texted that the Uber had gotten a flat tire and that they were stuck on the side of the freeway while the driver quickly changed it. (!!!) Yikes!

Matt said that this dude changed the flat Nascar pit-crew style fast & they were driving away by 3:48..... only to be in monstrous stop & go traffic. ETA kept pushing back further and further (4:06, 4:09, 4:12...) me deciding eventually that I would greet him at the lobby to avoid him getting lost trying to find our building since this was his first visit to Coronado and time was of the essence - we had a monorail to get to!

1710427254078.jpeg1710427278819.jpeg

He pulled up around 4:15pm where I tried to give him the quickest of tours, showing him the fastest route to our room & pointing out Coronado's beauty as we walked.

After Matt quickly changed clothes, we headed to the bus stop to take a bus to MK to begin our monorail crawl. The wind was absolutely nuts this day, and I had to hold on to my ears (which were from Etsy and sturdy AF- not the Amazon cheapies I've worn in the past) to avoid them blowing off my head. It also was a bit cooler, in the 60s, with fair cloud coverage. The clouds + the wind made it feel even cooler- especially walking anywhere near the fountains like in the picture above - the wind was so intense that if you were nearby you were being sprayed!!

I'm out of picture space and now seems like a good place to pause before we start our AMAZING monorail bar crawl adventure! Stay tuned :)

Last edited:
Friday, February 23rd: Day 0 (Travel Day) - continued

As we waited at the bus stop (we must have just missed the last bus, since the TV screen showed the next MK bus coming in about 20-25 mins. While we waited, we got this text from my mom:

1710447146243.png

Indicating she had successfully picked up the kids from daycare & they were ready to start their weekend together! We were on a bus to Magic Kingdom by 4:50, and soon enough started our Monorail adventure!!

1710447283284.jpeg

As we were in line for the monorail, I had my arms wrapped around myself & was very obviously cold, when an older gentleman commented to me in a judgy tone that I had picked the wrong outfit for the weather and that I was in trouble if I'm already cold now, at 5pm.

giphy.gif

Thank you for the super helpful feedback, good sir! Next time I'm packing from MN I will be sure to call you and ask for your superior clothing advice ;)

We eventually made it to the Polynesian but thanks to Matt's delayed arrival I had approximately .00001% hope that we could get in to Trader Sam's, but just for giggles we popped in to ask. They said the wait list was closed :( so instead we headed back outside (brr!) to Tiki Terrace where we sat in a short line for a bit at the walk-up bar, only to be told "go sit down (6 feet away) and we'll come to you" allllllllrighty then! So we did, snapping this picture as we waited for our waitress to make her appearance:

1710447671169.jpeg

Matt, being the responsible & smart man that he is decided to stick to beer pretty strictly throughout this trip, me wanting to be a bit more adventurous and try some of the more well-known specialty cocktails this trip (typically I am just a beer/wine kinda gal and don't usually dabble in hard liquor)- so I opted for the Spiked Pineapple (dole whip + rum). It was soooooooo tasty! I could not taste the alcohol at all (dangerous!) but to no ones surprise, this drink did nothing to warm me up.

1710447971237.jpeg

1710447986973.jpeg

Matt snapped this candid series of me enjoying my first Dole Whip in 5 months:

1710448086968.jpeg
1710448095752.jpeg
1710448111142.jpeg
1710448126972.jpeg

After saying goodbye to the Polynesian (so beautiful but so busy! I commented to Matt that I wondered how it would feel if you were an actual guest of the resort- would you be slightly bothered/annoyed by the constant influx of non-guests? Beating you to the last elevator space, sneaking in line for the bathroom before you, etc.? I don't know, maybe it wouldn't, but it just seemed so busy at all 3 of the monorail resorts- so much busier than the other resorts- that I feel like it would be a bit off-putting, especially after forking over so much $$$$$$), we hopped back on the monorail & whizzed off to the Grand Floridian!

1710448394566.jpeg

We got off the monorail & instead of heading straight for the Enchanted Rose, decided to poke around the shops for a bit. When we finally moseyed on over to the bar/lounge, we realized there was a line - doh!!! So we found our place in that line and were pleasantly surprised to see it moving at a halfway decent clip - a lot quicker than I would expect, anyway! I didn't make a note but I'd guess we waited for maybe 10-15 mins?? Snapping a few pictures while we waited:

1710448982251.jpeg
1710449017388.jpeg

When I took this blurry selfie, the person in line before us happened to turn around to my phone right in her face so she graciously offered to take our picture, which ended up being one of my favorites from the trip! So thank you, kind stranger!

1710449064347.jpeg

Soon enough the hostess told us our table was ready so we made our way through the dimly lit lounge and found our seats.

1710449108951.jpeg

I love the theming! I didn't take many pictures (we were treating this like our anniversary date-night so I was trying to be engaged and not just snapping pictures mindlessly- I think I struck a fine balance :laughing:)

1710449180000.jpeg

1710449191193.jpeg

I ordered an Island Rose (Ketel One grapefruit & rose, lime, orgeat (almond), pineapple, bitters, and rose water $18) which was SO STINKING TART. Like hurt your tongue, tart. I honestly barely could finish it. I to this day can't put my finger on what it tasted like to me, but it was verrrrryyyyyyy reminiscent of like my college days- so maybe some sort of wine cooler thing?! I don't know but overall I would give it like a 3/10 and did not enjoy. Matt ordered the Three Daughters IPA, since we both love IPAs. I'm not sure if they gave him the wrong beer or if this was just the funkiest IPA we've ever had but his beer was downright disgusting :laughing: it gave us a really good gut-busting laugh though, because the taste reminded us of one of our earliest memories as a couple. We were in college- I had maybe 6-10 months ago won a UK themed gift basket at a charity auction, and in the basket was one lone beer - an Old Speckled Hen, if you've ever heard of it. Needless to say that thing sat in our fridge for the full 6-10 months because no one wanted to try it. Then enter Matt into the picture, and him & my old college roommate bonded over Flabongos (if you aren't familiar, please go google it right now :rotfl2:, anyway I somehow convinced Matt to flabongo that disgusting Old Speckled Hen beer, which was hilarious and again one of our earliest memories as a couple so it was funny to reminisce.

After we had shared our distaste for both our drinks, Matt stated that he was absolutely ravenous since he really hadn't eaten all day, so we ordered the House-made Beef Jerky ($8), Croquettes ($19), and the House made Truffle Fries ($14.50) to share.

1710449772670.jpeg
1710449790451.jpeg

The jerky tasted exactly like my dads homemade jerky (like seriously could have put me in a blind taste test and I don't think I could have told you which was which), so tasty in our opinion but not something we'd get again probably because we can get it at home.

The fries were delicious, as per usual (can you go wrong with truffle fries?), and the croquettes were.... interesting? The texture was a bit off for me, but the flavor was okay. Also not anything I would probably order again, and certainly not for $20, ha! But of course it's Disney and you're paying for the experience, so oh well. It's not like we came here expecting a bargain!

Anyway, as we were wrapping up/paying the bill ($100), Matt made a comment that he was going to leave his beer 3/4 full because it was that gross, to which I said:

giphy.gif

And offered to chug it if he wasn't going to. Our bill was too high for the disappointment we experienced so I wasn't about to throw any more $$ down the toilet, so Matt took it like a champ and downed the Old Speckled Hen Three Daughters IPA, first giving me this lovely face:

1710450186017.jpeg

We made our way out of the lounge, not thrilled with the food or drinks but overall still had/having a great time and really enjoyed the beauty of the lounge (& resort) itself. We decided to stop one more time in the bath/soap shop (drawing a blank on what it's called??? With all the soaps/bath salts?) and reeeeallly enjoyed the smell of many of them, but the one that we wanted to get was the one that smelled like Pirates of the Caribbean! We ultimately decided not to purchase it then and there (not sure why??) but swore we would return at some point in the trip (famous last words...) but unfortunately never did.

Regardless, we were off to The Contemporary!

Last edited:

Sorry guys, this last installment will be super boring because I took ZERO pictures at Contemporary and also did not take very good notes! And no, you can't blame my 2 drinks (over 3 hours) since I was not even buzzed, ha! We arrived to Contemporary and first made our way to Outer Rim since I had been told (or read somewhere) that it had great views of the fireworks...........................................not sure how since it's located on the wrong side of the resort, ha! So either we were in the wrong place (it was so small/dingy, it looked more like an airport bar???) or I was given bad info- but either way the lack of fireworks combined with nothing on the menu really jumping out at us as a 'must try' resulted in us not even bothering to grab a seat. I had initially written off Steakhouse 71 in our monorail bar crawl plans not because we dislike it (its one of our faves!), but because we've been there several times and I wanted to try something new... but now Steakhouse 71 was looking pretty good since it seemed we weren't going to be seeing Happily Ever After anyway! We made our way downstairs and asked about walkup availability, which they said would be over an hour so we said nevermind and headed back upstairs. We stood outside in the valet area and, since it was covered (it was full-on raining by this point, coming down decently hard), we watched the last 5ish minutes of HEA from there (they pipe in the music). I took video but no pictures, and of course teared up because hi have we met? I cry when watching any sort of fireworks/parade/show/you name it. It's what I do. Even my kids anytime HEA or Fantasmic music comes on our Alexa (we play a lot of Disney music) immediately look at me & ask "are you crying?" :laughing:

Eventually we hopped in our Uber and headed back to Coronado Springs around 9:20, us having to power-walk across the property in the pouring rain with only one umbrella and the worst possible footwear- birks for me and dress shoes for Matt! I kept offering to share the umbrella but he was already drenched and said sharing would just result in both of us getting soaked & to just keep myself dry (what a guy). Despite the rain we were having a good time being goofy & he snapped this candid shot at 9:30--

1710451034221.jpeg

When we made it back to our room we took a hot shower to warm up & shortly after busted into our Walmart snack stash (chips, pretzels, granola bars, etc.). As you can imagine we were tired from our long day of travel (+ minimal sleep the night before) & were off to dreamland by 10pm.

Overall it was a long, busy travel day with TONS of steps (not captured by my watch since 95% of my dozens of treks across the property I was carrying or pushing/pulling something) and less than ideal weather but HEY! We were at Disney World!! What on earth is there to complain about?! We were on a kid-free vacation at our favorite place on earth, and it was just getting started! We had a blast at our monorail crawl (even though we technically didn't complete it, since we didn't get anything at the Contemporary) and were really just thrilled to be here.

TOTAL STEPS: 13,450 (give or take another 15,000 LOL)

Up next: Saturday, February 24th: Day 1 - Magic Kingdom!

Last edited:
Saturday, February 24th: Day 1 - Magic Kingdom

Magic Kingdom opened at 7:30am this day for Early Entry & so my alarm was set for 5:45am, with the hopes to be at the park around 6:30am. I happened to wake up at 12:00am precisely so I rolled over, grabbed my phone & bought Genie+ as a safety precaution. The crowds were intense but Genie+ didn't sell out or anything while we were there so probably could have gotten by with buying it at 5:45 when I woke up, but oh well, better safe than sorry! When my alarm went off at 5:45 I hopped in the shower and got ready, Matt & I wearing our matching white Mickey/Minnie retro tees and shorts (thinking we could endure the cold for a few hours and that we'd be sweating by 10am if we wore pants/sweatshirts. Matt made us both coffees in the room & I ordered/requested our Minnie Van around 6:20am.

OH! I totally forgot to mention - this was the Princess Half Marathon weekend!!! So we were suuuuuuuper nervous about how that would impact travel. We are (obviously) rope droppers to the max so at one point, after reading all the horror stories in the big facebook groups, I even questioned if we should rope drop at all... if I'm going to be stuck on a bus for 1.5 hours in traffic/due to road closures what would the point be?? When I checked in I asked the CM if she had any info on the topic (she handed me a pre-made pamphlet with info about the marathon- not super helpful, basically just said to expect travel delays) but either way we decided we'd give it a go, thinking a Minnie Van would be our safest bet for getting to the parks with as little delay as possible. Anyway- back to the TR!

The Minnie Van arrived by 6:25 (speedy!) & we chatted with the CM the whole drive, me explaining my thought process/concerns about travel during the marathon. He explained that actually based on where we were headed (MK) that we wouldn't have any travel implications, since the runners were currently at DHS/Epcot that day, and that the next day, Sunday, they would be at MK (we were to be at DHS on Sunday, then Epcot on Monday). What a stroke of luck! My opinion of "I-always-like-to-start-my-trips-at-MK" proved beneficial this trip ;)

While in the car, I had spilled a large drop of coffee on my white shirt (because of course I would) and was bummed that I would look like a slob for all our "matchy matchy" pictures that day. Sigh! Oh well. By 6:35 we were dropped off near the buses (I don't know if they were running this early though? I didn't see any buses nor crowds of people in the area), me attempting to tip our Minnie Van CM (total after tax/tip was $50.34 for 5 miles - oof!) as we walked and simultaneously snapping this blurry picture:

1710508227022.jpeg

After going through security (without being stopped - what a difference not having a stroller, bags galore and 100 bubble wands & fans make!!) we made our way as far left as possible to the empty tapstiles over there. We were first in line at our tapstile! There was maybe another 30-50 people there by that point (all at the middle/furthest right tapstiles) so we were doing pretty good! I snapped this slightly less blurry but still blurry selfie at 6:45am, while we waited to be let in at 7.

1710508313801.jpeg

We spent the 15 minutes of waiting time chatting with the CM and the other guests around us, plus I gave Matt a quick refresher on joining Virtual Queues - him being in charge of getting us on Tron and me in charge of securing our first LL - this trip we went for Jungle Cruise as our first LL selection. We scanned in at maybe 6:58 or 6:59, because I was walking on Main Street passing the entrance to the Emporium (tripped on the trolley tracks, great shock. Clearly I can't walk & snag LLs at the same time!) as 7am rolled around and I was able to book our LL, Matt successfully joining the VQ for Tron as well. Huzzah! I don't remember what time I grabbed Jungle Cruise for, probably somewhere around 9am, but it doesn't matter because I had to keep modifying it to later & later. Stay tuned for more info on that. Anyway, we were only the second people on Main Street, and decided we could afford to stop briefly for a completely empty/unobstructed PhotoPass picture in front of the castle. See if you can spot the coffee stain! 😭

1710508738077.jpeg
1710508762725.jpeg
1710508791517.jpeg
1710508809324.jpeg
1710508837354.jpeg
1710508845841.jpeg

Our Photographer was super thorough but we were watching the masses getting in front of us toward Fantasyland so we skedaddled out of there after a quick "thank you!", snapping this quick castle shot at 7:03 -- we were still doing good!

1710508948012.jpeg

We ended up being the 3rd group in line under the coverage of Cheshire Cat Cafe (so as far left as we could be, with the plan being to head toward 7 Dwarfs Mine Train) while we waited for the "rope to drop" in the next 25 minutes. I used the time to put my hair in two dutch braids & space buns since me + my hair down + Disney World does not last longer than 30 minutes, apparently. We chatted, wishing we had more coffee, and tried to be as small as possible as we watched the crowds pile up behind us. I took this at 7:20 (I felt like I was being creepy, but I just wanted to capture the crowds! I swear I'm not taking a picture of anyone in particular!)

1710509074633.jpeg

They ended up letting us in about 5 minutes early, after clear instructions (at least to the people that could hear them, in the very front row) to NOT RUN. Seriously, why does no one listen/why is this not common sense?!

1. it's not that serious, dude. It's a ride. You being the 1st person in line vs the 100th is a difference of, what, 5 minutes? It's really not that serious nor is it worth injuring yourself OR ME.
  2. either morning dew/condensation or the grounds crew watering the plants or just a general hose down before the park opens almost always results in puddles in those early morning hours. You running + wet ground is not a great combo.
  3. FOLLOW DIRECTIONS, you bunch of toddlers!!! If a CM tells you do not run, how are you seriously going to ignore him and run regardless?!?!?!?! My kids follow directions better than that, sheesh!

Anyway, off my soapbox on common sense. If you couldn't guess, everyone ran. It was a cluster. Matt and I did as we were told and walked (at a decent clip, to be sure, but not running by any stretch of the imagination), me eventually getting absolutely ROCKED by some linebacker who was arm-in-arm linked with a group of about 10 women. What?!?! WHY?! Matt helped me regain my balance as we both shook our heads in awe and found our place in line for 7DMT, right after the linebacker + her team.

Out of picture space, please hold!

Last edited:
Saturday, February 24th: Day 1 - Magic Kingdom

I snapped this blurry selfie (sensing a theme? I told you I'm not a selfie pro) as we weaved through the empty queue - this being our first time in the standby line but obviously not having the time to enjoy it/look at it too closely. Time stamp shows 7:29!

1710509790688.jpeg

and then this one 7:32 when we were next in line for the "how many?" CM so it was absolutely a walk on & overall a <4 min wait despite our lack of running to get there. Say what?! Crazy, huh.

1710509920420.jpeg

We had a great first ride of the day!

1710509867578.jpeg

I do like 7DMT, I just don't think I could stomach paying $$ or waiting for more than 25 minutes to ride it. My kids do really enjoy it though so we'll see what happens when we take our August trip with them. We attempted to head to Peter Pan next to knock out another heavy hitter but when we got there we realized it was closed so we backtracked & did Winnie the Pooh instead, it being around 7:40 by this point. The standby line said 10 minutes but it was a walk on, and we were off by 7:47. Figuring we had maxed out our Fantasyland time (with Peter Pan being down, anyway) we decided to mosey over to Tomorrowland and see what we could knock out as our last ride of Early Entry. Space Mountain is an all-time favorite of mine, but Matt's.. not so much. So I decided to hop in the 10 minute standby line while he waited for me. It was another walk-on, and I was off the ride by 8:05.

Once reunited with Matt, we decided to do Buzz since it was only a 5 minute wait, despite the park being open to everyone for the last 15 mins or so by this point. I beat Matt (obviously) but was not even remotely close to getting galactic hero- my score 112,500 & Matt's 12,800. He tries ;) Also, me checking on my score at the worst possible time, ha!

1710511098921.jpeg

Our kids love the Zurg behind bars in the after-ride gift shop so we of course had to stop and take a picture to show the kids when we returned home:

1710510493832.jpeg
1710510504697.jpeg

Oh also, peep the matching Mickey/Minnie socks?! We went all out on the matchy-matchy couple thing today ;) After leaving Zurg I decided I was ready for breakfast so I placed a mobile order for a Nutella & fresh fruit waffle from Sleepy Hollow and made a pit stop at the Tangled restrooms to wash our hands before we ate this messy hands-on meal.

1710510717310.jpeg

I cut the waffle in half hoping Matt would share but he's not a big breakfast eater so I was on my own, boo!

Speaking of Matt, he really knows how to capture me in the most flattering way possible, seriously - what a beauty:

1710510815733.jpeg
1710510823874.jpeg
1710510830229.jpeg

:rotfl2:

I ended up tossing the last 1/3 of the waffle cause it was so much & I didn't want to be stuffed/over-full... especially not this early in the day! I had a lot of walking/eating/riding to do!

Crying at the $5 I just tossed in the trash can, we made our way to Haunted Mansion, which was also a walk on. Man - did everyone have the same fears/thoughts that I did and decide to sleep in?!?! Where was everyone?! We were having better luck/less wait times than our September trips.. and that's supposed to be the slow season! It was about 8:45 by this point, so the crowds should have been here! Oh well, no complaints from us as we walked-on to one of our all time favorites.

Out of picture space again :)

Last edited:
1710511339139.jpeg

And since we didn't have young kids with us, nor upcoming surgeries that would make us reallllly try to avoid germs, we got to enjoy the stretching room!

I never know which one I like better for the ride photos - the B&W one or color. What's your preference??

1710511385605.jpeg
1710511394563.jpeg

Deciding to knock out one more heavy hitter (because why not?!), we made our way to Adventureland to get on Jungle Cruise. The sun was starting to shine so we were finally warming up! During the wait for rope drop particularly we found ourselves shivering with teeth chattering a bit, it really was chilly in the shade! But now, around 9am, it was warming up nicely and we weren't regretting our clothing choice.

1710511296296.jpeg

I think I've mentioned in previous TRs that Matt loves pirates/skulls (has 2 of them tattooed on his body!) and because of this, the kids love to point out ANY TIME they see a skull and make sure dad sees it :laughing: so I snapped this picture from the Jungle Cruise queue, to show the kids later:

1710511580664.jpeg

A couple minutes into our weaving through the queue we came to a stop, and a CM announced overhead that if you entered the queue recently that the 15 minutes estimated standby is no longer accurate and that it's probably closer to 30 now. We didn't think we were included in that group since we had been in line for a bit, and the 15 minutes we were given ended up being pretty accurate.

1710511616310.jpeg

Matt and I like to guess which boat we'll get or which color hunny pot or monorail etc. and are 99.99% of the time wrong, this time being no exception as we boarded Irrawaddy Irma. I didn't make note of our skipper's name, but they were presumably very funny (as they all are) and we had a great trek.

After Jungle Cruise we backtracked a bit toward Pirates, which was an estimated 10 minute standby however we walked on. Whaaa?! It was 9:45 by this point and we had used ZERO Lightning Lanes. Not a one. We were having such a great morning!!

1710511905525.jpeg

After riding Pirates (and swearing up and down that we HAD to go get that Pirates smelly soap from GF), we stopped for our first popcorn bucket refill, as our Tron boarding group had been called and we wanted a snack in case it was a long line. Popcorn quota sufficient now, I had to snap this pic of Matt in his happy place:

1710511952634.jpeg

We entered the VQ line for Tron at 10:05, and were off by 10:35 so not bad but our first lengthy wait of the day! As I've said before, waiting for >25 minutes isn't so bad when you don't have impatient preschoolers with you ;) so we just wove through the queue chatting, snapping this pic of our matching socks at a brief stopping point.

1710512161365.jpeg

I FINALLY GOT A TRON RIDE PIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It didn't show up at first, so I stopped a Tron CM who instructed me to wait a bit and if it wasn't there in a few hours to stop by ______ on Main Street. Didn't quite catch that last bit, but okay - somewhere on Main St, got it! Which we did on our way out, so I'll share the details of that later in the TR. For now, here's my first ever Tron picture!

1710512223023.jpeg

After Tron we decided to do Tomorrowland Speedway ('the cars' as we lovingly call it), which had a 5 min standby, but it ended up being closer to 15. As we entered our car (Matt guessed red, I guessed blue. It was green) we had Matt in charge of the gas/brakes & me in charge of steering.

Oops out of picture space again, and I have to hop off - will maybe be able to add more this afternoon! :)

Last edited:
Your trip is off to a great start! It’s a bummer you couldn’t get into Trader Sam’s (and wow, they stopped the waitlist just a few hours after opening?!) but it looks like your night was still fun.

The bath store (Basin) is wonderful - I love how it smells in there!

I gave Matt a quick refresher on joining Virtual Queues - him being in charge of getting us on Tron and me in charge of securing our first LL - this trip we went for Jungle Cruise as our first LL selection.
Do you and Matt have your own MDE accounts or were you both refreshing from your account? I ask because I’ve set my whole family up under my account and am curious if it makes more sense for my husband to create his own account for this very reason (booking VQs and Genie+ simultanously).

You had an excellent start that morning! I’m so impressed with how much you accomplished, particularly the waits at Space Mountain, Buzz, and Jungle Cruise!

Wow what a great morning at MK! For what it’s worth I can’t see the coffee stain and your pictures came out really cute!
Thank you! And yes I am still in shock with our luck this trip!! It gets even better at DHS the next day! Stay tuned ;)

Your trip is off to a great start! It’s a bummer you couldn’t get into Trader Sam’s (and wow, they stopped the waitlist just a few hours after opening?!) but it looks like your night was still fun.
They had said that they would be re-opening it in the next hour, hour & a half but we weren't planning on sticking around that long so nixed it altogether. Maybe next trip! And yes absolutely, still fun!

The bath store (Basin) is wonderful - I love how it smells in there!
AH YES, thank you!!!
Do you and Matt have your own MDE accounts or were you both refreshing from your account? I ask because I’ve set my whole family up under my account and am curious if it makes more sense for my husband to create his own account for this very reason (booking VQs and Genie+ simultanously).
We do not! We just share mine (Matt downloaded the app and logged in via my info on his phone). I believe I've heard that it can cause huge issues/glitches/headaches when you try to both have your own account- in fact now that I type this I'm wondering if a CM told me only one person can be in charge of LLs???? I'm honestly not sure. But regardless I would stick to the advice of only using your MDE account and have the others log in if you need them to assist with ILLs/LLs/VQs. It has worked out slick each time we've had to both do something at the same time!

You had an excellent start that morning! I’m so impressed with how much you accomplished, particularly the waits at Space Mountain, Buzz, and Jungle Cruise!
Yes seriously what AMAZING luck!! I still wonder where everyone was.... clearly not MK!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter