Who is going in September- when and how do you think crowds will be?

Diana ZP

Mouseketeer
Here I go again, I know! But I finally have my niece and her 2 girls locked in for a trip in September. I gave them the option of Disneyland or WDW and they said Disneyland. What are the thoughts about this time of year?

We are figuring the 2nd week in September, so younger one will have a few days of school and can get her school work. I won't even contemplate going near October, way too busy for me!

September usually isn't too busy as students are back in school, especially after Labor Day. With the new reservation system though, it feels like there's general crowdness all the time. September also provides more days available for magic key holders (especially the lower tiers). Still one of the less busy times at DLR along with mid january up to Presidents Day. September in Cali is no joke though. Its still really hot here so be prepped!

September usually isn't too busy as students are back in school, especially after Labor Day. With the new reservation system though, it feels like there's general crowdness all the time. September also provides more days available for magic key holders (especially the lower tiers). Still one of the less busy times at DLR along with mid january up to Presidents Day. September in Cali is no joke though. Its still really hot here so be prepped!
Thanks! I always went in September, and always did early September for WDW...I like the heat

I gave them the option of Disneyland or WDW and they said Disneyland.
Smart girls! Disneyland is the best IMO.

We are considering September as well for the Halloween parties. A lot of rooms have gone up in price across the street so if you are looking I would lock something in as soon as you can. I think we are leaning towards staying onsite, so I'm going to be booking that tomorrow to at least get something on the books.

We've only gone in September once but I remember it going well. It's nice to go before the October crowds hit

You all have me worried now with this talk of October crowds! We are going 25th September to 6th October. My birthday is 5th so DH said we could be there for my birthday after our only attempt at a WDW holiday for October nearly killed us both with the heat-I'm a British redhead so do NOT cope well in heat! Please tell me the first week of October won't be too awful!

Halloween is our thing. Been going every Halloween the last 11 years (minus COVID). We have altered our plans to the beginning of the Halloween season to avoid the monster crowds in mid to later October.

The crowds in earlier September seem to be slightly lighter than in October.

Last edited:
You all have me worried now with this talk of October crowds! We are going 25th September to 6th October. My birthday is 5th so DH said we could be there for my birthday after our only attempt at a WDW holiday for October nearly killed us both with the heat-I'm a British redhead so do NOT cope well in heat! Please tell me the first week of October won't be too awful!
It's gonna be pretty warm. SoCal summers have been lasting longer and longer. Bring some sunscreen. I will say we do have more of a dry heat so you won't get that humid sticky feeling here. Good news is the mornings and evenings will be nice as the heat doesn't last the whole day like it does in Florida.

No, those dates should be great. The crowds really boom Columbus Day weekend, taper a bit after that but are still pretty strong through October. I think that first week is fairly decent. It's the week after Columbus day that gets really insane crowd-wise (been there, done that, almost didn't survive to tell the tale!).

we usually go in September, I find it quite busy but managable. Everytime we go there is a heat wave, so plan accodingly.

We went in mid-September last year and the parks were the busiest we had ever seen, and it was HOT. We enjoy Halloween time but will choose a different time to go next time :)

We just received our quote from our TA for our very 1st Disneyland trip!! September 12-19th! Now we have to pick a hotel between the Hojo, the Grand Legacy and the Tropicana. lol

We were going to go in April of next year but my youngest adores Nightmare Before Christmas and I think she'll love the overlay at Haunted Mansion!

We're going in September for our magic key kickoff trip, staying at the VGC.
Was looking for an official DLR September 2023 thread, but there doesn't seem to be one yet. Staying in a 2 bedroom, we really wanted a pool cabana on check in day at the Disneyland Hotel but it was sold out at 59 days when I remembered to call. We've been calling periodically just in case there are cancelations and today they told us the Disneyland Hotel pool is going to be closed for our dates (second weekend in September). Anyone else heard anything about pool closures in Sept? Seems odd since the Villas are opening shortly after that. Or maybe that's why?

Florida heat is unreal, California is different/doesn't feel as hot without the humidity, especially in shade. With an 8 day trip you'll have plenty of time to do parks in the mornings and evenings and use your hotel pool in the middle of the day if the heat is bad enough for you.

Was looking for an official DLR September 2023 thread, but there doesn't seem to be one yet. Staying in a 2 bedroom, we really wanted a pool cabana on check in day at the Disneyland Hotel but it was sold out at 59 days when I remembered to call. We've been calling periodically just in case there are cancelations and today they told us the Disneyland Hotel pool is going to be closed for our dates (second weekend in September). Anyone else heard anything about pool closures in Sept? Seems odd since the Villas are opening shortly after that. Or maybe that's why?
That is a bummer. Did you ask what your pool option will be? Maybe you can get a cabana at the Grand Californian.

That is a bummer. Did you ask what your pool option will be? Maybe you can get a cabana at the Grand Californian.
We're staying at the grand, so I assume it will be crowded at the pool if they have guests from DLH using it as well. They checked for cabanas at the grand, none left.

Did they mention how long the pool will be closed? We’re booked at the DLH 9/20-23 and planning to spend our arrival afternoon at the pool… fingers crossed!

Did they mention how long the pool will be closed? We’re booked at the DLH 9/20-23 and planning to spend our arrival afternoon at the pool… fingers crossed!
I just did a chat with Disney since I am going to be there September 7-11 and they said the pools were going to be open during my stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter